Glacier Hills Senior Living Community

1200 Earhart Road, Ann Arbor, MI, 48105

Reviews of Glacier Hills Senior Living Community

srowland August 10, 2015

My Mom was sent to Glacier Hills after a surgery at the University. While the nursing staff has been great, the management and social workers are terrible. They neglect to read their patients charts and outwardly lie to their patients to cover up their own mistakes. Management and especially the social workers treat the patients like they are brainless, ignorant, imbeciles who are incapable of coherent thoughts. They also speak very loudly to all the patients even when there is no hearing loss. it is a very disappointing and sad way to treat our esteemed elders. If you are considering this facility for a parent or loved one, please be sure you will need to spend hours on the phone or sitting at the facility to ensure that nothing goes awry.

Caring107319750 May 28, 2015

When my wife was discharged from the hospital, the social worker provided Glacier Hills, and as the most well-known provider in the area, we chose to go there. They had superior physical therapy and very good medical staff. As far as the girls who took care of my wife, I have a memory of one particular very loud girl that was not very helpful, but the rest were pretty good. They got really strong medical management. She had a shared room, which was adequate. The food was adequate too, not superior. There was occupational therapy, which my wife thought was a little silly, passing a balloon around, and she was not entirely satisfied with it. I highly recommend them.

Joan103614350 March 20, 2015

I'm in a villa at Glacier Hill Senior Living, and my husband is in their long term memory care. We've been in the facility for 12 years. It has everything we want, and we wouldn’t want to live in another place. They take good care of you wherever you are. I have a wonderful villa with independent living.

Jimie December 03, 2014

I was transferred from University hospital to Glacier Hills for recovery. The medical care was poor. Although in great pain and, as a consequence, suicidal, I was offered Tylanol. When I had a sudden paralysis on one side, my wife had to argue with medical staff to send me to Emergency room (where brain surgery was preformed). Comfortable room, terrible care.

kirby12 October 04, 2014

Grounds are gorgeous but this place is very badly managed. My parent was in care and rehab for two months. Fell during PT and no one called to inform me: this task was left to my parent which created anxiety. The nursing staff are caring but terribly overworked: it seems understaffed. The aides are not all good. One was supposed to be supervising my parent's shower, but made a call on her cellphone and talked for several minutes, positioning herself in my parent's room in such a way that the surveillance cameras could not see her (because cellphone use by aides on duty is not permitted). The food is terrible so if nutrition is a concern for your family member, it is dangerous to place them here.

XXYYYZZZ March 21, 2014

I'm trying to find a place for my mom who has dementia but is physically very high functioning. The place is really big and confusing. There are very few signs to aid anyone in finding their way around - especially the elderly with cognitive deficits and low vision. The rooms and apartments in independent and assisted living were really nice. Big windows, simple but full kitchens, much, much larger than other facilities. Schedules of activities not all in one place. I think I received two or three fliers, each with different information on things to see and do. Grounds are gorgeous, very large, and very well taken care of. Dining facilities are huge and overly formal. Full place settings, linens, cloth napkins, etc just for lunch. Pretty intimidating. Staff, in a friendly way, ask lots of questions which dementia folks can't really handle. I also visited Eva's house which is about to open. Didn't like it. Very hospital like. Most patients don't even have private bathrooms. I'd be very, very reluctant to put anyone in there unless they were so far gone they didn't know there own name.

Caring74258750 January 18, 2014

I have an older sister at Glacier Hills Senior Living. She had friends living there and it's an established community, an established business with a very good reputation. The staff treats my sister very well. It's a very classy facility. Their meals are very good. It was a lovely place. I didn't notice anything that needed improving.

Mac and cheese November 23, 2013

my mother was taken to the care and rehabilitation center. She arrived fully aware and functioning well from a cognitive and mental standpoint after her stroke. After a week of being there I noticed her mental state began to decline rapidly, and my mother complained that the nurses refused to help her to the bathroom leaving her to mess herself then would complain about how badly she stank- I often changed the briefs they left her sitting in for hours myself because nobody would check on her. I was told what a nice place this was but found that the level of care is very low - often times staff was nowhere to be found when needed.

Ammalyn June 15, 2013

The room in the villas of Glacier Hills was quite large. It was indistinguishable for middle to upper middle class condominium. Their amenities were quite nice too. They had a gym with trainers and physical therapist. But there was a mild smell in the nursing station and I was a little disturbed by that.

Regular Visitor June 06, 2012

The independent living and assisted living areas of this facility seem to be good, but I would never put a loved one into the Care Center. Help there is numerous, but busier chatting with one another than tending to patients. Rooms are mostly doubles and devoid of charm. Noise level is high for residents. Call buttons are slow to arouse response by the staff. Nursing staff is obviously eager to leave at the end of their shifts - not going any extra miles to help care center patients.

Jim3 March 23, 2012

My mother-in-law lived here for several months after a serious hospitalization that left her physically debilitated and cognitively impaired. My wife, who is a doctor of Psychology was dismayed by the lack of training the staff demonstrated in many instances. I witnessed the nursing staff arguing and threatening the patient and also being argumentative with my wife. We were forced to insist on the visiting physician and primary nurse interviewing my mother-in-law in our presence because she was hallucinating and voicing violent delusions to us, but the staff was insisting she was fully recovered and able to return to her apartment unassisted. Staff seemed unfamiliar with delirium.On the positive side, this facility was clean, staff was well-spoken, food was attractively presented, and the lobby was truly lovely.

Social Worker # 1 January 09, 2012

I think Glacier Hills in Ann Arbor, Michigan is an excellent choice for placement for someone who is seeking a senior living facility for them self, a friend or a family member to reside at for comfort and enjoyment for the rest of their senior years. Glacier Hills is located in the beautiful Ann Arbor, Michigan suburbs the common areas are beautifully architect and coordinated to match the interior surroundings and a very comfortable senior living community and a senior friendly community as well. Their residents socialize and interact with one another on a daily basis and are like family towards one another as well. Their management and staff are very friendly and professional and they also treat their residents there like family members. They also provide personal care to their clients by their trained care givers; they assist their clients with bathing, dressing, grooming and activities of daily living.

Their Home Management assists their clients with light housekeeping, meal preparation, shopping, and transportation to medical appointments. Their Companionship services provide their clients with daily support and interaction services ad accompany their clients to social functions and activities. Their Flexible Staffing provide coverage to their clients that is tailor fitted for each individual needs as PRN form 3 hours to 24/7 on a daily basis as needed. Their skilled and Trained Nurses assess their clients individual needs and create a satisfying professional Plan of Care that is also tailor fitted and right for each and every individual care that is needed as necessary for their overall health towards their maximum strengths for their independence. Overall I would rank Glacier Hills in Ann Arbor, Michigan with a five stars rating for their excellence and expertise for senior living. I would recommend Glacier Hills senior living community to any and every senior 62 and above because I know that they would like it there and I know that they would do well there also.

lori c. December 05, 2011

Beautiful Grounds for walks on nice days. Help is polite and busy. Dementia patients taken care of securely. But only some rooms are pretty and cheerful with windows. Nice activities. But assistants are very busy. Some days and weekends its hard to get helped to the bathroom! Food is so so

From Glacier Hills Senior Living Community

Founded in 1973, Glacier Hills is a warm, inviting continuing care senior living community offering a gracious, active lifestyle for older adults in the heart of the cultural center of southeast Michigan "“ cosmopolitan Ann Arbor. From the distinctive neighborhoods of elegant villas and spacious apartment homes, to the acclaimed skilled Care and Rehabilitation Center, Glacier Hills provides a wide range of comfortable living environments and health care services that suit our residents' varying levels of independence. As a not-for-profit Life·Care community, Glacier Hills continues its long and familiar tradition of delivering outstanding service and commitment to its residents through local governance by its Board of Directors, dedicated management and caring staff.

Location of Glacier Hills Senior Living Community