Westchester Center Assisted Living

78 Stratton Street South, Yonkers, NY, 10701

Reviews of Westchester Center Assisted Living

Ann's -daughter November 07, 2014

The Westchester is an amazing place first of all. From the cleanliness of the facility to the staff to the residents. Mom needed a place to go to after a stroke as it was difficult being alone. We toured this facility and we were all quite pleased. The staff were unbelievably kind and comforting to moms needs. I will never forget how wonderful they are. I read negative reviews and it's sad. I have to say our experience so far as been a positive one. I can reach anyone I need at any time with 100% results. They are pleasant and helpful from the Maintenance to the administrators. We have nothing negative to say and we feel our experience at the Westchester will be a great one for Mom and us. I can contact them anytime day or night and I get an answer pretty quick. The staff are warm and good hearted individuals and we are thrilled Mom has found this place. Thank you from our hearts. I can't remember all the names but you all know who you are. Morgan, Keri, Michael, Allan, Anita, and some great residents...these are a few I have met and my heart will always be thankful for The Westchester. Some people will be negative and that's sad. I will hope they will give The Westchester the credit it deserves. Thanking you all from our hearts. I pray this experience will continue to be a positive one for my mom. Thank you.

Susan97913850 August 25, 2014

The person who we first met in Westchester Center Assisted Living showed us around. She took the time and was very knowledgable. She went through everything that we would envision as far as what our stay there would be like. We had a lot of questions and she had a lot of answers. She also gave attention to my aunt to make her feel welcome. She gave a very personable touch. We were very pleased with the vibe that we felt from the place. We wanted to make sure that my aunt would like to be put there. The good thing was she liked the dining area and the library. Indeed, we had a a good tour around the place.

sarah12396 August 20, 2014

We were nervous before moving our mother out of the house, but it turned out to be the best move we could do. with its wonderful and caring staff, and great, friendly residents our mother could not have found a better place to call home.

familymember121 August 20, 2014

My family and I toured the Westchester center about a month ago. As a result, we moved our mother into the clean and caring facility. The staff made the admission process very easy. From managing her medication, food, and all necessary paperwork- it was all taken care of. My mother has been in the assisted living for about 3 weeks and I have nothing but great things to say about the center. It is truly a great feeling to know your loved one is being taken care of.

Caring97657950 August 19, 2014

The staff in Westchester Center Assisted Living is polite to a degree. The only thing is that they need supervision. There are a lot of things that could be eliminated if they had supervision. They need someone who would be basically in charged of all things especially in maintenance. There were incidents that the caregivers came in to the patient's room without the patient being there. I heard the patients complained about the things that were missing. Another complain I have is you had to wait too long to get the proper medication. Another is the timing because the breakfast is at nine thirty and the lunch was at eleven. I think they are doing the best they could about the management but they do need someone to supervise the maintenance and medical staff. One thing positive I could say is the place is clean.

marilyn33133 July 25, 2014

The staff at the Westchester Center have made my aunts transition from her home to the facility easy and pleasant. After a few days she started to feel right at home and has been very happy since then.

annabelle240 July 23, 2014

Westchester Center is a wonderful place. My grandfather has been at this assisted living for about four months. He has a beautiful room with an accessible bathroom, kitchenette , and large windows. My fears were put at ease when I saw that his room contained a call bell just incase he needed help or had fallen. There was one in the bathroom and right above the bed incase he needed it. The facility is not only beautiful but also very clean. In addition, every time I come to visit my grandfather I am greeted by warm and friendly staff. The staff are very attentive and helpful whenever we have an issue or need help with anything. I was thrilled to see my grandfather doing activities and socializing with other residents. I highly recommend this facility to anyone who is looking for themselves or a family member.

Eddie R December 13, 2013

This place is an absolute nightmare. I began looking for a place where my mother can comfortably live while receiving the limited assistance she needs for day to day activities back in May of this year (2013) After being referred to The Westchester Center, I flew in to New York (where my mother lives) from San Diego (where I live) to assist her in the move and the transition. When visiting the center and while moving her in, everyone seemed to be so helpful and promised time and time again that “mom would be taken care of in a worry free and safe environment” Much to my disappointment the promises made were anything but the truth.

The problems started shortly after my mother moved in and I returned back to San Diego. On two separate occasions, once in May 2013 and again in June 2013 my mother was given the wrong medication! When I called in to complain to the center director he said to me “we have been having some issues with our med room, but we just underwent some training so this shouldn't still be happening”…STILL BE HAPPENING? So this apparently had been an ongoing issue. Obviously it goes without saying that issuing someone the wrong meds is a potentially life threatening situation. Luckily my mother actually has the awareness to actually look at the meds they give her before ingesting them, but most people don’t and just take whatever is given to them in the cup…A scary situation indeed. As if that wasn’t bad enough, on a separate occasion in June 2013 the med tech claimed to have given my mother her medication, but in actuality she never did. I had to actually call them and request that they view the video surveillance recordings to confirm if my mother received her medication and sure enough the video revealed that the med tech was lying. I believe they terminated her employment, a small fix to a much larger problem in my opinion.

As if the medication issues were not bad enough, apparently when they pair two people in a room together, there is no set process they follow to ensure the roommates are a compatible match. After finally getting clean and overcoming a substance abuse problem, my mother who has now been clean for over a year was pared to live with an active alcoholic in the same room. Apparently the roommate would go shopping on her own and purchase alcohol then hide it in the room and drink throughout the day. Not only was this a huge source of stress for my mom, one that jeopardized her recovery, but it also created a safety hazard. Her roommate became extremely hostile and belligerent when she became intoxicated. I called the facility to inquire about how such a mistake could be allowed to happen and I was simply told “we try to match people with roommates the best we can, but it’s not a perfect system”. Excuse me?! Perhaps they better quickly figure out a way to implement a perfect the system or get into a different line of work. Both the Center Director and the Director of Case Management actually had the nerve to tell me that perhaps the reason my mother was not comfortable in her living situation is because she is the one creating the problems with her roommate. As if she was the one who opted to live with an alcoholic.

Most recently I received a call from my mother around midnight during which she explained to me that they had no heat in the facility. When I called to speak to the shift supervisor, she did confirm to me that they did in fact not have heat in the facility and it apparently has been an ongoing problem. I believe the average temperature has been somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees Fahrenheit in New York. Obviously this creates a hazardous living environment – especially for seniors who have a difficult time regulating their body temperature as it is. The best she could do, she explained, was to offer my mother another blanket. I’ve counted about 5 nights within the last month alone that they have not had any heat which is simply unacceptable in my opinion. The list goes on and on: From losing my mother’s laundry, to the food being anything but healthy and nutritious as they claim, to staff members and residence alike erupting in violence and breaking tables in the dinning area, and residents assaulting other residents. Please learn from my mistake and DO NOT SUBJECT YOUR LOVED ONE TO THE HORROR THAT IS THE WESTCHESTER CENTER! The only reason I have not yet moved my mother out is because I have not had the ability to once again take time off from work and fly across the country to do so. The Westchester Center promises “A luxury Senior Community experience” but I assure you, your experience will be anything but what they promise. Do yourself a favor if you plan on taking a tour with your loved one, don’t be afraid to approach the residents and ask their true opinion about the facility and their experiences while living there. After all, the most honest reviews can only come from those who live there.

The Westchester Center for Independent and Assisted Living is committed to providing quality care for all our Resident's needs. We work closely with our clients and their families to make their home here a comfortable and happy environment. Our team of dedicated staff is available at all times to help with any issues that may arise. We strive for the best possible care and have protocols in place for difficult or atypical situations. We are surveyed by the Department of Health on an annual basis and have been awarded for excellence in care & compliance in all areas. We pride our ability to provide luxurious assisted living to all populations regardless of their income and monetary status. For any questions or inquiries please don't hesitate to give us a call. We are confident your experience will be pleasurable with positive outcomes.

Witold August 28, 2013

I used to live in Westchester Center. I would give this place a very low rating because my experience there is not good. They need to improve on everything beginning with their staff. Some of them were helpful, but others were not. I would never recommend this place.

Jose1 May 01, 2013

I had a tour of the Westchester Center in Yonkers a long time ago and it was beautiful. Everything was very good. The only thing was that it was too far for me. I've got to go on my own and take public transportation to get to the hospital or my doctor every time, which is very inconvenient. I can't go to that facility. An assisted living in the Bronx would be the ideal place for me.

About Westchester Center Assisted Living

Westchester Center Assisted Living is an assisted living facility in Yonkers, NY that offers residents independent living options and daily support services. Contact Westchester Center Assisted Living for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Westchester Center Assisted Living

• Housing extra: We offer studios and shared double bed rooms.

• We charge an entry fee
  • Fee structure extra: There is a community fee of one months rent for the private pay resident. Residents that are paying through Medicaid have no move in fee.

• Pets: No pets allowed