Spring Haven Retirement

1225 Havendale Blvd, NW, Winter Haven, FL, 33881

Reviews of Spring Haven Retirement

Johanna062571 October 05, 2016

Spring Haven was very impressive. It’s very nice, clean, and accommodating. There were studios and 1-bedrooms. The activities were good. The staff was very pleasant, and everyone was pleasant. The facility was beautiful.

Linda123301 October 04, 2016

We had lunch at Spring Haven, and we were happy with the location. The outside grounds were fine, but the décor needed to be updated. It seemed like it was dark in there, and the hallways weren’t large enough like for rollators or walkers or wheelchairs. We don’t need that now, but my husband has arthritis, and there may come a time when he will need that. I liked the apartments, and it was a reasonable pricing and everything, the people were great, and there were plenty of places outside to walk, but this would be our second choice.

babydynamite September 13, 2016

I visited Spring Haven Retirement. The staff was very cordial and informative. The food was very good. The place was clean and did not smell like a nursing home like the other places I visited. The apartment was a very nice size and stood out to me. It was what I was looking for.

Clara800158 August 22, 2016

I liked Spring Haven Retirement. It was nice. The one-bedroom unit was very nice. It had a separate bedroom, a separate family room, and a kitchen area in between with two windows. It was very nice. The studio was too small. It was just like one little box. The dining halls were nice. They had a bus. They had a big monthly chart with stuff happening every day of the month. They had a lot of things. The staff was very nice, and they were a pleasure to do business with.

gillemic August 15, 2016

I am rating this facility as very good based on the interaction with the staff. They are warm, friendly and very caring. I'd say the actual ward were the memory care guests are housed is average. I didn't image I needed to ask if the individual rooms were secure....after all my loved one was being placed on a secure wing. I was disappointed to see that the individual rooms were not secure at all. The first day I was setting up the new room I found another resident had used the bathroom in our unit and had placed his/her wet undergarments in the shower. The staff immediately removed the wet garments but did not have any disinfectant to clean our the shower. Disappointing again...after all, how was I to know that the resident who had used the bathroom and left the wet undergarments didn't have an infection or something contagious? Disappointment 3 came when the RN I had just met left the day after I moved my loved one into the facility and I have not heard a peep from the admin staff as to who the new RN would be. I knew there would be a few bumps so I am hopeful that we have had all of them the first week. I look forward to meeting the new RN and seeing the changes she puts in place to keep the residents secure, clean and the memory care until smelling and looking fresh.

Caring daughter117674850 January 15, 2016

From the outside, Spring Haven Retirement is beautiful. My parents are in memory care. I have seen better ones, so I wasn't 100% happy with that part of it. The people are nice. They give my parents their pills, and they have been doing better since they’ve been there than compared to when they were on their own because they have someone making sure that they are doing what they need to do. They have a bedroom with a bathroom, and a separate living area; that part I do like a lot because most of the places I have seen do not have this separate room. I don’t know what this place was before becoming a memory care unit. It does have a kitchen, in which they’ve disabled the stove and the dishwasher, so it’s kind of wasted space, but I would rather see them in that than in other rooms I’ve seen. They don’t really remember, but when I’ve been out there, the food was a concern of mine. They had a menu, and the food that was on the menu was not what they were having. I took pictures, sent it all in, but I have not been back since then. My brother has been out there, and he said it’s better now. I wasn’t really happy with the quality of the food, but I don’t know what it’s like in other places, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. They play bingo and go on field trips, which is very nice. They have different things going on at different times, like during the holidays, the people who worked there dressed up; they do all kinds of things like that. They do keep them entertained and try to keep them out of their rooms so that they’re not there all of the time, which I think is nice. They can improve on communication skills because I don’t live within the state, and I really want to know what’s going on, but I’m not very well-informed.

Hi, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement's Home Office. First, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your parents' experience at Spring Haven. Thank you for sending in photos of your parents' meals as well. (I assume you sent them to us here at Home Office?) I passed your review on to our Resident Relations team so they can look for your photos and respond. Know that you're welcome to call them as well at 1-800-370-8331. Thanks again, Katie

Roberta20 December 31, 2015

The rooms at Spring Haven Retirement were smaller than what a few would be comfortable in and it was an older building. I was impressed with the staff; they were very good.

Lee29 December 22, 2015

The food was excellent at Spring Haven Retirement. It was cafeteria-style where you go in, order off of a menu, and they wait on you. I couldn’t say enough good thing about the food. However, most of their activities involved indoor activities, and I didn’t like that. They did have something outside, but they didn’t promote that as much, and everybody pretty well stayed indoors. The staff was good, but Spring Haven Retirement wasn’t what I was looking for. I would go nuts if I had to stay inside all of the time.

Ann117490550 December 21, 2015

For us, Spring Haven was too big. My mother-in-law would have gotten lost and confused with the different floors and all. We were just concerned that she wouldn’t be given as much personal attention as she needs. She needed somebody to check on her quite often, and we felt that that might not happen there. The grounds were gorgeous, and if the residents like to be outside in the fresh air, there are plenty of places for them to stroll and just sit outside for a while. I only met one person there who took us on the tour. She’s very friendly and knows her business very well.

Katie15 November 30, 2015

Spring Haven Retirement was a definite no as soon as we walked in. It's very dark and very old looking. There was a ton of people there, and nobody was really friendly. The room that they showed us was dirty and rundown, but they had a pool there.

Hi Katie, I'm another Katie, and I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. First, thank you for your sincere review. It's feedback from our residents, their families, and visitors that helps us improve our business so although I'm sorry to hear you did not choose Spring Haven, this definitely gives us some specific areas of opportunity to focus on. Thank you once more, Katie

Caring113779950 September 30, 2015

The one that suited us is Spring Haven. We will move as soon as we sell our house. It has independent living, assisted living, and even dementia and Alzheimer's. It is all in one place. It is a very, very nice place. It is a good location especially for us. Everybody was extremely pleasant and very pleasant. The residents looked all happy.

Brenda107929150 May 24, 2015

My parents are living in Spring Haven. They have two floors that are for assisted living and for memory care. They don't have a 24-hour team that lives there, which I think they could improve a lot if they have that. I'm not too real keen on their management there. They have a lot to improve. They've had some issues with their staff, the cooking, and the cafeteria, and they're ironing some of those things out. So, I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

They have a recreational therapist there. They have a nice patio area where they have cookouts. The setting is beautiful where they're located. But being a Holiday facility, I expect more from them than what they have been able to give. It's an older building. I was disappointed in the management there, and I did talk to them about certain things that I thought they should be doing better for my parents.

This is their second year. They’re on a limited income, and most of the people that live there are on a limited income, but they’ve already had a 5% increase in their rates. It’s like the management tries to make up by dinging the people there on their rooms when they’re on limited income. I just don’t think that’s right. I don’t understand that part when I know some of the other holiday facilities are not run that way.

Bob105679350 May 03, 2015

Spring Haven Retirement is a nice place. Clean rooms, good meals, nice people. The staff is very accommodating, very nice, and very good. They had all kinds of things to do. The people we ate lunch with were really nice.

Caring105635250 April 22, 2015

I came across Spring Haven on the internet. It is clean, friendly, and neat. The staff was very good and very helpful. The rooms were clean, neat, and nicely furnished. It could be a little homier because it got kind of an institutional feel, but it's not too bad. It is better than a hospital or a nursing home. They have a lot of activities. They have a whole monthly schedule, but my aunt doesn't want to participate because she has two broken legs. I didn't see any security, but I didn't see any problem either. The people that live there all have keys to their doors, and those are locked. Otherwise, everything is open. People sign in and out when they come, and when the residents leave, they sign out and sign back in again.

Caring104278850 April 20, 2015

She’s only been at Spring Haven Retirement a couple of months. So far, so good. Everything is OK facility-wise -- cleanliness and in attending to her needs. Their accommodations met the price that we were looking for. They have indoor activities. There is a pool out back; there’s a music group.

Jean and Paul January 31, 2015

My husband and I visited this facility a few times and found it to be a beautiful and pleasant place in which to live. However, as my husband uses a power chair for mobility, we found the hallways too narrow for two such chairs to pass. One would have to move out of the way for others to pass. This may present a safety hazard, but I'm sure it would be addressed by staff. The amenities that were furnished included everything one would need to live comfortably. The location is perfect for going shopping, doctors, hospital, etc. The staff was great to work with and very caring.

Caring4544850 December 12, 2014

The food was very good at Spring Haven. The only problem I had with that was that the environment was a little bit depressing. They must make the place happier to live with, but the room seems fine to me.

Caring96069550 December 03, 2014

Spring Haven is good so far. They accommodated my friend, but the only thing I didn’t like about it at first was that it was so far to walk. He is 84, and he is getting Alzheimer’s, but as soon as they got a closer unit, they moved him two weeks after he moved in, which was great. I thought that was way beyond what people normally do.

The place is fine to me; he has got a beautiful room with a little porch, and everything so far has been great. They are very attentive to their tenants up at the front desk; if they can help you in anyway, they do it just immediately, and they are courteous. I am just happy out there. I would absolutely recommend the place.

Caring97208350 November 29, 2014

I visited Spring Haven. It was a very, very nice facility, but it was expensive. They had a lot of amenities like a pool and everything. They had card games and day trips. The staff was very, very cordial. They were very nice, and they took me around. I was very impressed with the pool and the staff. There’s nothing they could improve on. It was very, very nice.

Caring96491050 November 01, 2014

Spring Haven was clean, the staff was very knowledgeable, and they have all kinds of activities. They had a pool, special shows, and special events going on like a Hawaiian night or things like that. The surroundings were clean, neat, well-appointed, roomy, and very nice.

Caring87472650 August 07, 2014

We visited Spring Haven Retirement and the place was clean. Everything was nice. All the amenities were good. The staff was nice and very informative. The person that we talked to knew everything. She showed us the apartment, the activities on the calendar, the computer room, the dining area, the pool, and the elevator. She knew all the stuff that was going on. The food that I saw and smell were decent. They had tons of activities for the elderly and they do keep them activite. One thing that my mom liked was that they had a nice walking trail. So, even if you don't want to do the activities, you could just stroll. However, she said: "I am not there yet. I can still do everything for myself". One thing she didn't like was the room. Even with the one-bedroom, the room was small. The kitchen was also small.

John M1 June 28, 2014

Spring Haven Retirement is a very nice community, and a big one. It is 280 units and it's got independent, assisted, and memory care. It is on a lake in Havendale, so it is a really nice place. There is a beautiful dining room overlooking the pool and the water. They have 9 social rooms and a lot of programs. It is owned by a big company, and they run it very, very well. They have a lot of activity around, and it is just run on a very professional basis. My friend, Lynn, said that she really likes the place, but she is just a little lonely because she doesn't have any family visiting her. When I go visit her, there are people out in the pool doing water aerobics, people out in the front, and people sitting on the benches looking across the lake. There is a lot going on. But because it was built in the late '80s, the quarters are a little narrow, and that is the only reason I would not rate it a 5.0. They do a lot of outreach programs. They have little vans and large vans that take you to places. They take you to the banks or to shopping places, and they do outreach twice a month, where they take extra food to needy families. They have a nice library and a nice coffee room. Every month they issue a calendar that shows what they do every day. I know the chef there is very good because I have seen the preparation and I have seen when they were getting ready for lunch and stuff like that; there is nobody complaining about the food.

Judith29 May 30, 2014

Spring Haven is a wonderful facility, and I really wanted my sister and her husband to be there. The place was fine and very clean. The staff were very friendly, informative, and professional. The layout of the place, I found a little vivid. It struck me more as a hotel than as a senior living place. The halls were so narrow. The food and service and everything else I thought was just perfect. The rooms were pretty small, but well kept. The common areas were just fine, and there were areas, like an outside patio that looked out on a lake, and that was just beautiful. So overall, I think this is the place that they can live together.

Caring84048350 April 23, 2014

We visited Spring Haven, and we were very pleased with it. It was relatively close to me. The staff was very nice and very helpful. They answered all our questions. The apartments were very clean and nice. We had lunch, and the food was quite good. They had all kinds of activities. I don't know how many of them my mother would be interested in, but they seemed to have a lot going on. They had a Valentine's Day thing. I saw them playing games. I knew they had some kind of special thing on Saint Patrick's Day. I knew they had a pool. They showed me a schedule, but I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Diane80730650 March 31, 2014

Spring Haven is independent, assisted, and Alzheimer's. That's why we like it. Mom is on the first floor. It's a beautiful and big property; it's sitting on a lake. Location was 90% of it actually. It's 20 minutes from my brother, so that was one thing. Mom has already spent a week with one brother, a week with another brother, and then a week with my sister, so it's working out really great. She's like two hours from the five of us. The main reason that we were down there was for the weather, and it's closer to the grandbabies. The facility itself is just awesome. It's working out great.

The rooms have one bedroom, a little room, a kitchen, and a bathroom. There is a lot of staff. She has someone who brings her her meds every day, and they have somebody who will take her to the bank or to go shopping or to the doctor -- wherever she wants to go. It's like eating at a restaurant; we were amazed. They have an activities director who does activities with them every single day. They exercise every day, and they have a walking class and water aerobics. It's just amazing, all the amenities that this place has. Mom loves it plus the nice weather. If it was a brand-new building, and I would give them a 10.

wamonetwo January 31, 2014

Spring Haven Retirement is a nice facility, but it was just a three-story large building and it looked like a little bit too much like a hospital for us. The person who took me around and the residents there were all nice. Overall, the facility looked nice. Everything was clean and well kept. They have a beautiful view by the side of the lake.

Just A Happy Couple October 29, 2013

My Husband and I have been living here for the past 10 months, and have found it to be a very pleasant place. The people here are all pleasant and glad to be of help i f necessary. The Staff here are equally nice and helpful. The rooms are kept clean, , The Activities are scheduled at appropriate times, and plenty of them. No one can be bored. The area is kept beautiful and clean.. The Service for Dr. Appt.'s are scheduled and on time each Mon Wed. and Thurs. We are like one big happy family. We love it. Marie & Albert

Caring72618250 October 22, 2013

Spring Haven is near where we live. I have known some people who have been here. I have no problems with the staff. We have meals and medicine. The food must be okay. I've gained 14 lbs since I've been here. However, you wait forever for an elevator and communication with the management is not good.

Bill24 August 10, 2013

My in laws are at Spring Haven for a month now. So far it's been pretty good. The place is nice and I liked it. The place is very clean. The staff so far are very nice and helpful.

Purpleangel50 July 25, 2013

My dad is living at Spring Haven Retirement for a year and a couple of months now. The facility is like a resort and it's beautiful. The people are very friendly and everybody is very nice.

Jim21 June 26, 2013

Spring Haven is a nice faciliy. They take care of my mom very nicely. They make sure she gets her medication. I was there visiting her for a day and it's seems like they were there round the clock. They were there when they were supposed to be. They assist my mom with all of her meals. As a matter of fact, they came to get her and asked if she want some assistance to go to the dining room. She doesn't miss a meal since she has been there. She seemed to be more lucid. She looked and sounded better. I'm trying to get her to do some crafts because she used to do that and hopefully she gets back into that. The place is very affordable as well.

Caring863 September 26, 2012

I was only in Spring Haven to look and see if I could live there, but it's more expensive than where I'm living. It's clean and it's bigger place than where I used to.

Caring558 July 24, 2012

My mother-in-law has been staying in Spring Haven for almost a month now. We are really glad to find a home for her. I know it's not going to be easy for her especially it's new for her to stay in a facility without a family member but I'm pretty sure she's well taken care of. All the staff are really pleasant and very helpful. It was a great decision that we chose this community for my mother-in-law.

Wolverine1 July 23, 2012

Overall i would say this facilty is good. The facility grounds themselves are very well kept and aestetically pleasing, though they could use some updating. The staff seem to be quite helpful when it comes to their required duties (administering medications for example), but seem to not be as helpful when it comes to helping patients out with special requests or day to day needs of an elderly person.

Clevelander May 25, 2012

This facility is very clean and well run on its exterior. My father had nothing but good things to say about the friendly and well-mannered staff that helped him through his daily routines. I know my father did not like the idea of moving into assisted-care and was worried that he would lose his independence. Fortunately, the staff were careful to treat him with the dignity an respect that he deserved. He was even able to develop lasting friendships with the staff and some of the other residents. This helped him quickly adjust to living in a community setting.The facility is decorated tastefully and fosters a strong sense of community among its residents. The staff does an admirable job of keeping the residents active and engaged at all times. My father's room was spacious and allowed him to maintain many of the lifestyle habits he had when he lived independently.

From Spring Haven Retirement

As the self-proclaimed "The Chain of Lakes City," Winter Haven, FL is everything its name insinuates. In true Florida form, the town's weather is quite delightful and attracts many seniors thanks to its nice temperatures during the winter; creating a haven for those looking for sunshine year-round.

*Rates listed are based on single occupancy.

Spring Haven is beautifully situated on Lake Hartridge in a park like setting. The community is a well maintained property that offers a full range of apartment styles for every lifestyle including lakeside patios.

Features of Spring Haven Retirement

• Hiking trails
  • 24-hour security gate
  • Pool
  • Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• Private services

• We charge an entry fee
  • Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental
  • Minimum memory care rate: $2,475/month

• We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 55

• Licenses: Assisted Living License # 5504
  • State License(s): 5504

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Spring Haven Retirement