Brookdale Uptown Whittier

13250 E Philadelphia St, Whittier, CA, 90601

Reviews of Brookdale Uptown Whittier

Jean113847550 September 29, 2015

Everything is good except for one thing. The dining room help is pretty bad, and I have filed an official complaint about that. They need to retrain their staff. It seems the people go to the dining room and sit down, and the girls kind of ignore them. So I know my mother got upset several times, just got up, and then wanted to stop eating. Aside from that, I am very satisfied with all the staff over there. They have quite a bit of activities, including the Sunday outings. They can go to different places every Sunday; for instance, last Sunday they went to see the Watch Towers, and a week before that, they went to the beach. Somehow they have three or four outings that my mother seems to be enjoying. Every Tuesday, they take them to Wal-mart if they want to go, and every Monday they can request to go to different shopping places. They have Bingo, and a lot of activities. Her room is adequate. She's got her own living room, small kitchen, bathroom, and then bedroom with walk-in closets, so it is quite satisfactory. It's got a patio that overlooks the sea actually, so she has a view.

Danna1 August 10, 2015

Brookdale Uptown Whittier is a great place. The people are caring, the place is clean, and the apartments are really nice. It has a great location. They have bingo, pool, cards, and exercise programs. They also have a shuttle bus that takes residents to different stores, activities, and doctor's appointments. The food is good. There is nothing there that my dad did not like. The dining area is very nice. It is like a restaurant. The bedroom is clean. It has a walk-in closet, a little kitchen, and a living area.

Yoko1 May 02, 2015

I moved to Brookdale Uptown last March. They have independent options and nurses. The room is good, they have a balcony and a kitchen, and it’s big enough. The people are nice. We have exercise classes.

Caring105401150 April 27, 2015

Their parking was an issue at Brookdale Uptown Whittier as we didn’t find a parking lot, but there was street parking. They were close to shopping and all of the stuff to do outside of the facility, but we weren't interested in that. Their dining rooms were set up differently, and they didn’t seem to have as many people that required assistance. Their rooms are nice and big, and the one room that they did show us has a small kitchenette with a refrigerator. The gentleman that was in charge was very polite and gave us information.

Candy6 February 10, 2015

I love Brookdale Uptown Whittier; that's why my mother is there. The building and the environment are clean. Everything and everybody there are great. The price is also great. The gentleman there is very instrumental in helping me in the beginning up to the point when I make the decision. Now, my mom has been there for two weeks.

Caring2420 January 22, 2015

Brookdale Uptown Whittier was very nice. They showed us around, and it was a nice facility. The staff was very informative and helpful. We talked to some of the residents, and they were nice. They were getting ready to watch a movie.

Caring100216050 January 13, 2015

Brookdale Uptown Whittier was a nice facility, but my mother wanted her own room, and the one they had available was too expensive. If I had a lot more money, I would settle here. Everybody was helpful.

Caring96841950 November 11, 2014

Emeritus was very satisfactory and clean, and the staff was very friendly -- especially the manager that spoke with us and gave us the tour and lunch. They don’t have a set time for clients to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner so that was hugely important for my friend. The cleanliness and food services were very good. The food was very decent, and they also have a salad bar for lunch and a breakfast in the morning. The rooms that we were shown were a one bedroom and a studio. Each of the rooms has a sliding door with a balcony, and that was a very desirable feature. The other thing is that all the rooms had a kitchenette which was very important to my friend. The rooms for the price were a very good value.

Caring61489850 November 11, 2014

My mom is in Emeritus at Chateau Whittier. We choose it because of the price and the value for the price and everything else. The facility's price is pretty decent compared to many other ones. It is not one particular thing that drives me to it. It is the entire package. However, I will possibly not recommend it because of the changes that have taken place since she has actually been there and now that Brookdale owns it. She moved in, then all of a sudden Brookdale is in the process of taking it over, and then they have actually formalized the change in everything else. It appears like a number of things have actually change, like the quality of the food has drop significantly. It is a problem everybody there is complaining about.

However, we chose it because for the price she has a one-bedroom, while in others she will only have a studio. I feel like the number of people not in wheelchair seems to be on a higher percentage than the people who are in wheelchairs there. There aren't just a lot of people just hanging around the front doors and things like that. It is an easier transition for her because of it. I think it is in a really nice neighborhood as far as having a nice tranquil location and everything else.

Alice32 October 18, 2014

I chose Emeritus at Chateau Whittier because they have an open dining room all the time. I have been here for over a month and a half. The food is fine, the staff members are caring, and the place is clean.

Patrick9 July 27, 2014

Emeritus was nice, newer, but nothing really stood out. The rooms were adequate and nice. The dining area was clean. They have daily and weekly outings. The staff was nice and adequate.

Caring73093050 June 30, 2014

Emeritus was a really nice place but kind of expensive. It was clean and it seemed like Beverly Hills. It looked so neat and it did have everything. There was even a place where they wash your clothes right there in the facility. It was self-sufficient and that's what I like. It was a little more expensive than the other facility but it was self-sufficient. The staff was also very helpful.

Cheryl25 March 28, 2014

Merrill Gardens at Chateau Whittier was a beautiful place. The people were friendly. It was just absolutely wonderful, but we couldn't afford that. The gentleman took us on a tour and the residents all knew him well and greeted him friendly. They were all smiles. They were all up and about, even though there were a couple of them in wheelchairs. Everybody just looked so happy. The staff was friendly with the residents. They were engaging them all the time. They showed us all the different size apartments that were there. Each bedroom had a nice bathroom. It looked like you were stepping into somebody's own home. They would allow the residents to make it as personable as possible. There was nothing junky, nothing dirty, and nothing smelly. The dining room was like a restaurant. Overall, this facility was very nice, but it was very far away from where I live. That was one bad thing. Also, the cost is a little bit prohibitive for our small budget. Nevertheless, I absolutely recommend this place. If the need came, I would go there myself.

Caring82045450 December 30, 2013

Thomas24 December 30, 2013

I've chose Emeritus at Chateau Whittier because it’s the best one I've found. I like the place and I like every aspect of the facility.

Caringsenior November 03, 2011

I think Merrill Gardens is a nice facility. While there, I witnessed the warm reception of the caregivers. The whole facility looks well taken care off. The staff members are coperative ad wilming to answer all the questions asked. The even have a special lunch with each tour visit.

In general, I would rank this facility 4 out of five stars.

From Brookdale Uptown Whittier

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Features of Brookdale Uptown Whittier

• Technology extra: Emergency call system
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Hospice care

• General store
  • Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition

• Private services

• We offer respite care (short term stays)

• Licenses: License #198601778
  • State License(s): 198601778

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living
  • We offer financial aid