Reviews of The Kensington
AndrewHOAJD May 11, 2016
I visited this facility
The Kensington was an assisted living but had a hotel feel. The woman who assisted me was very nice, showed me around, and discussed different options for my parents. The residents seemed very engaged. The dining area was very nice.
SMarroneFoxRehab February 23, 2015
The Kensington provides the utmost in professional, personalized care to its residents and their families. As Regional Director for Fox Rehabilitation, the therapy services provider at The Kensington, I have had the pleasure of interacting closely with The Kensington team. The Kensington team goes to extraodinary means to provide attentive care to each ot the residents. They are able to accomplish this though exceptional communication with each resident and their family members and caregivers, working as a team to create an individualized plan of care based on the specific needs and choices of the resident. I am constantly impressed by the compassion and true concern shown by the Kensington staff in providing the highest level of care to each of the residents..
Janice26 January 13, 2014
I am a friend or relative of a resident
My grandfather is at the memory care lane of The Kensington. We chose it because of the individualized level of care and the attention that he receives. Everything is immaculate. The kitchen is really high end; you sit around and they all cook in front of you. There is just so much friendly and relaxed staff. They are not stressed out. They have at least one staff member to every three to four patients. The rooms are very clean. There are only two people to a room and the rooms are huge. Whenever we visit him, he looks healthy and his clothes are pressed. The facility's out of pocket is causing us almost $10,000 a month, so with the $10,000 they better make him shine.
Azula60 April 28, 2013
I am a friend or relative of a resident
We moved my mother into The Kensington shortly after it opened in late 2011. She had lived in an assisted living facility in another state that over time was run and managed by three different companies, and had even moved in with our family for a time. The beauty, warmth and care and activities The Kensington offered drew us to try another situation for her, one that has worked out beautifully. The enhanced license The Kensington holds in New York allows them to provide my mother, who has great physical limitations due to advanced Multiple Sclerosis, the kind of specialized care her condition requires, and they provide that care with skill and grace. Just recently, unsolicited, my mother told me that she is receiving the best care at The Kensington that she has ever received any place else.
As her daughter, I can say that The Kensington's greatest asset is its staff, from the chef and servers in the dining room, to the nurses, care managers, office staff, and executive leadership. The warmth and caring shown by the staff to my mother (and to our family in general) is touching. Their professionalism and kindness is a direct reflection of the skill and leadership of The Kensington's Executive Director and the team with which she has surrounded herself. Her door is always open and she is always eager to assist with any question, challenge, or request. This gives our family a great sense of peace as we know that should a problem ever arise, we know it will be dealt with promptly and successfully.
Moving a loved one, especially a parent, into an assisted living facility is a difficult thing to do, but when that facility offers every amenity one could think of, a kind and caring staff, and a feeling of hominess for the resident and welcoming for the family, you as the daughter or son will sleep well at night. I rest easy knowing my mother is being monitored and receiving top-notch care in every way, that her needs are more than met, that she is having fun, that the staff cares about her and communicates that to her family, and that the Executive Director has created an atmosphere anyone would feel safe and happy moving their loved one into.
Val Price April 12, 2013
I am a friend or relative of resident
My mother has resided at The Kensington Assisted Living in White Plains, since the Fall of 2011, soon after its opening. The experience has been a truly positive one. Her overall well being has vastly improved, which I am truly grateful for. With the multiple medical issues she has, a more common course likely would have shown a less fortunate decline in her health status. The assistance, and close medical care and insight provided have actually brought an enhanced state of both spiritual and medical health. I am so pleased that when friends and family visit, or speak with my mother they share that she looks great, is happy and is so pleased with her care at The Kensington.
The founders of the facility have developed a concept into a reality, providing a warm and comfortable environment, matched with care and activities, to provide a feeling of home, but security of required care needs being met. They also, visit frequently, and have a visible rapport with their management team, staff, and residents as well. If concerns do arise I believe if brought to the proper channels, resolve would soon be reached. The administrators are considerate of the population they serve, and always willing to accommodate circumstances that arise in a timely and resourceful manner.
The nurses, and care givers are attentive and always kind. They go out of their way to be assuring, and provide excellent care to all residents. The food and menu choice is excellent, and is of high quality and prepared home-style, much more so than any facility I have ever had a family member in or visited. The dining staff makes every effort to please and kindly serve the residents, as well as welcomed guests. The activities staff also shows great interest in the needs of the residents, and about keeping their calendar busy. They are great at orientation to current events, and honoring dates of history and of celebration, and for encouraging participation.
The building and grounds are kept immaculate, and in truth The Kensington Assisted Living demonstrates a high standard that is to be recognized. The dedication to care and consideration of the dynamics that surround the aging process, and its vast changes, that affect us all are truly shared and felt throughout The Kensington Assisted Living community, or perhaps better stated, "Kensington Family".
I would not hesitate to recommend this fine facility for care of a loved one.
From The Kensington
Welcome to The Kensington Assisted Living Residence
The Kensington is an enhanced assisted living and memory care residence located in the heart of White Plains, NY. It is the realization of a vision of passionate leaders in the senior living industry. This industrious group sought to develop a community that took the assisted living model of care to a higher level in an environment of comfortable elegance, staffed by loving professionals. They have accomplished just that.
The Kensington is licensed for enhanced assisted living which means residents do not have to move out of The Kensington if assisted living health care needs change or increase because we are able to offer a full spectrum of clinical support. We believe the comfort of familiarity is precious, so our license enables us to offer care beyond what the traditional assisted living community can deliver.
For those with memory loss, The Kensington offers two levels of care in specially designed neighborhoods. Connections is for residents in the early to middle stages of memory loss. Haven is for those in the middle to late stages of cognitive impairment. Our multifaceted program is geared to support not only residents but also their families.
- Three nutritious, home cooked meals per day
- Menu selection such as prime rib, grilled salmon, fresh vegetables and much more
- Accommodation of special dietary needs and preferences (salt free, sugar free, gluten free, heart healthy, vegetarian, kosher (frozen), pureed, chopped, etc.)
- Daily cocktail hour
- Monthly themed cocktail hour
- Wine with lunch and dinner
- Wait staff service
- Café stocked with refreshments and snacks
Higher Level of Professional Staff
- Full-time Director of Nursing plus Assistant Director of Nursing
- Nurse on premises 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Medication administered by nurses
- Certified Nurses Assistants, Licensed Practical Nurses, and Registered Nurses provide all hands-on-care
- Family Services Director social worker and life coach on staff for residents and their families
- Dedicated Assisted Living Director
- Dedicated Memory Care Director plus Memory Care Supervisor
- Three full-time Activity Supervisors in our Assisted Living, Connections and Haven neighborhoods with activities staff reporting to them
Memory Care Expertise
- Connections Neighborhood for those with early-to mid-stage dementia. Full time dedicated care staff in place to assist with activities of daily living and cueing plus dedicated activities staff to stimulate the mind, strengthen the body, and uplift the spirit
- Haven Neighborhood for those with mid-to late-stage cognitive impairment. Our dedicated team anticipates and manages issues common to seniors in the middle to end stages of dementia including behavioral challenges. Dedicated activities staff engage residents to help tap into and find joy in moments from their past
- Best resident to caregiver ratio in the area on Haven - 5:1 (5 residents for every one caregiver)
- Cognitively Stimulating Programs including: The Alzheimer's Project (T.A.P.) - a dance program created for those with dementia and additional neurological impairments; Memory Helpers Program - easy and fun techniques and games to improve and maintain memory functioning; Fox Optimal Living - group and one-on-one wellness classes; Mercy College Communications Disorders Program - reminiscence therapy and topical discussions to promote social communication among those that are memory impaired.
- Xbox and Wii interactive video games and Kinects motion-sensing input device to improve social interaction and communication
- Board certified music therapist on staff
- Team members have specialized training in dementia and Alzheimer's disease
- Specially designed memory stations and memory kits that enable residents to independently participate in activities
- Pocket programming to reflect each resident's interests
Enhanced Assisted Living License
- Welcoming residents with no care needs to those who are very frail and everything in between
- Diabetic management including injections
- Medication administered as needed (PRN)
- Comprehensive physical, speech and occupational therapies on-site
- Physician's office on-site with 11 physicians caring for the residents plus family nurse practitioner, audiologist, optometrist and several clinical psychologists
- Psychological/psychiatric services
- Individualized service plans
- Primary care manager for each resident
- Monthly health and wellness assessment
- Exercise classes and specialized fitness program
- Specialized diets overseen by registered dietician
- Continence management
Services & Amenities
- Owner Operated
- Warm & cozy environment
- Lively calendar of activities every day from morning until evening
- Scheduled transportation
- Lush outdoor terraces and patios
- Personal laundry and dry cleaning
- Safety measures that exceed NY state requirements
- Personal emergency response system
- Religious and spiritual programs and celebrations
- Very high team member retention rate
What Makes Us Special
The Kensington is unique because with our enhanced assisted living license, we can provide a very high level of care in a beautiful, elegant and warm environment. We specialize in caring for those with Alzheimer's, dementia, and those with movement disorders.
Features of The Kensington
Technology and entertainment
- Cable TV in resident's rooms
- Internet in residents' rooms
- Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas
- Medication Management
- Psychiatric care
- Physical therapy
- 24 hour nurses: We have 24 hour nurses.
- Hospice care
Room and housing options
- 1-bedroom apartments
- 2-bedroom apartments
- Studio apartments
- Housing extra: Shared living
- Companion suites: We offer companion suites
- Beauty/Barber shop
- Computer room
- General store
- TV room
- Gardens/outside patio
- Parking for residents
- Transportation for residents (shuttle bus or similar)
- Shared space where residents can host parties
- Features extra: Art Room, Library
- Some residents have in-room kitchenettes
- Meals delivered to residents' rooms
- Meals in a shared dining room
- Arts, woodworking, craft
- Organized offsite activities (outings, etc)
- Religious services
- Lectures and discussions
- Book clubs
- Wii sports competition
- Tai chi
- Activities extra: The Alzheimer's Project Dance Classes, Fox Optimal Living Exercise classes Five Days per Week, Memory Helpers Cognition Classes, Pace University Intergenerational Computer Classes, Mercy College Cognition Program
- Guests can attend meals
- Guests can stay overnight
- Ample parking for guests
- Laundry service for clothes
- Laundry service for linens
- Private services
- We charge monthly rent plus additional fees for specific care needs, as needed
- Minimum rate: $5,476/month
- Minimum memory care rate: $7,605/month
- Pets: Small pets allowed
- Staff patient ratio: 5:1, 7:1
- Licenses: EALR, ALR, SNALR
- State License(s): AF0688A
- We help families understand VA benefits
- We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living
Location of The Kensington
Get Cost Information
Get full access to reviews, cost information, and amenities