American House Westland Joy Senior Living

Top Nearby Assisted Living Facilities

Reviews of American House Westland Joy Senior Living

June 23, 2015

By Caring109205750

We are comfortable and happy with American House. We have a nice apartment, it has been reconditioned, and next week, we will move our stuff in. I was very impressed with it, and they treated us well. We were given a free lunch, which was very good. Both my wife and I are a bit picky, and we both cleaned our plates. It was very good food, with vegetables, breads, and dessert. Everything was shown and explained to us. We had a very good feeling as we drove away from there, that this was the place. They refurbished it, and it’s really nice and clean, all the way from new carpeting, to repairing any marks on the wall. Everything was all repainted. I don’t think we are going to have any problem with the apartment itself. Everything was well good, and we were very satisfied. The dining room was spacious and clean. The table setting was very nice; if they continue being like that after we arrive, we will be very happy. There were a couple of older gentlemen that were outside the front door sitting in chairs with the nice weather, and they told me they have been very satisfied. They have been there for four years or longer. With all the help that we run into in the kitchen, they satisfied us and treated us well. Our touring guide -- who was the assistant manager -- went out of her way; she was so nice. She just made us feel so welcome. My wife is in a wheelchair, so I had asked for the apartment on the main floor, she had one, and that’s the one we are taking. It’s convenient to everything as far as her hair salon, laundry room, and the cafeteria. We have a sliding glass door to the outside, and it’s very secure. We have no fears at all so far.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoy living at the community and that we're taking great care of you and your wife! If there's anything we can do to create an even more positive experience for you, please let me know! Tabitha Hooper, executive director

April 07, 2015

By Barbara103928650

My mother is at American House, and she loves it. We found that to be the perfect place for her. Her apartment is beautiful. She moved from her own personal apartment, and it's a shrunken version of her apartment, but not that much smaller. She loves the food. She is a little concerned about the staff in the dining room. They're not handy to pull out chairs or if she's trying to get attention for coffee or silverware. She's happy with the people who dump the trash everyday and the people who do her bed sheets. They have exercise, bible study, and fingernail painting, but she doesn't go down to a lot.

It's wonderful to hear that your mother is so happy at American House Westland Joy! The life enrichment director plans an entire program of social, cultural and education activities to keep residents active and engaged. If your mother has an idea of what she would like to do outside of her apartment, please let me know so we can see if we can add it to the program. Please contact me directly with any other questions! Sincerely, Tabitha Hooper (248) 854-7151

March 31, 2015

By Jyll

I wasn't as impressed with American House Westland Joy. It was a little older. The lobby was relatively small. They were starting to remodel the rooms off to the side. They just hadn't been completed yet. It was nothing negative or derogatory.

Thank you for leaving your feedback. Since you visited the American House Westland Joy community, many renovations have been completed: new carpet, paint, furniture, artwork and lighting. We also added a new patio and Anytime Cafe to the community. I would be happy to schedule another tour for you to see the many improvements. Please contact me to schedule another tour. Sincerely, Tabitha Hooper (248) 854-7151

December 20, 2014

I didn't care for American House Westland. To me, it was low-class. The rapport with the person who had given me the tour was just a matter-of-fact. She didn't try to win me in. Also she didn't know a lot of the answers to the questions that I had, so that was a turn-off. The set-up of the place was really small. I thought the rooms were small too. My father would have been in the memory care, but they had just opened it so they didn't have anybody in there. The staff was just OK, but they weren't necessarily friendly.

Thank you for your feedback! American House Senior Living Communities prides itself on providing a home-like setting to all residents, regardless of location or level of care. It’s unfortunate that you weren’t able to feel this ’sense of home’. It appears you toured American House Westland Venoy, but please do schedule a visit to American House Elmwood and American House Regent Street that specialize in memory care. We would like to help you and your father find a location that meets your needs. Please call me to discuss specific options.

Sincerely, Samantha Pal, Director of Sales (248) 203-1800

November 19, 2014

By SamanthaRenee

Horrible!!! One of the residents was stuck in a pile of snow in a wheelchair for God knows how long today about 10 feet from the nursing home.He was barely dressed and not one person helped or knew he was gone until I took him back.

Thank you for your feedback. As an assisted and independent living community, Westland Joy residents enjoy their independence and are able to leave the building as they wish. Please contact me so we can discuss the situation more thoroughly.

September 27, 2014

American House seemed to be very nice. The person who assisted me during my vistit was very friendly and informative. I didn't really give much attention to the activities they had there. Their rooms were nice and clean, though. We saw a one-bedroom and I liked it. It wasn't spacious but just adequate.

I'm glad you liked what you saw during your visit! Even though you may not have seen, we do offer plenty of activities and events for our residents! We have a Life Enrichment Director who organizes things like crafts, trips, and so much more (did you know we have our very own American House Choir?!). I'd be happy to fill you in on some of the activities we have coming up -- just call me or stop by when you have a moment.

July 19, 2014

The people at American House seemed to be professional. It's a facility that's real close to where I work and to my daughters, my mom's granddaughters. My mom is on a special diet, and it has taken a little while for them to get to know her and her eating habits, but it seems to be getting better. She likes to have a lot of fruits and vegetables. She's not a lot into the meats and the potatoes, and she tries to watch her consumption of breads. It has taken a little adjustment period for her and for them. They have quite a bit of activities inside the facility. They take them shopping or to a ball game. They have specific destinations that they go to. She hasn't participated yet because she has only been there a little over a month. She's operating independent because they're not doing anything besides just the real basic things that they offer them, like they do their bed linens once a week and they come in to take their garbage. Everybody seems pretty friendly and attentive. She has commented there was some staff she didn't care for. Some of the workers seemed to ignore some of the people. In anything that I've been involved with, they all seemed friendly and helpful. Overall, I'd say she really enjoys her apartment. It's a nice apartment, and it was upgraded nicely. It has not been a negative experience.

I'm thrilled to hear that your mom is enjoying herself in our community! That's our main goal here. Our residents love all our activities and trips (especially to ball games!), so I hope your mom joins in the fun soon. I'm glad the diet situation is working itself out -- if your mom ever needs anything or you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me personally and I'll do what I can to help.

December 30, 2013

By Kathy74956650

I would recommend American House Westland Joy Senior Living. One of their best quality was the staff was very helpful and friendly. Also, it was comfortable and very clean. It wasn't sterile. It wasn't a hospital or nursing home setting. The apartments were very nice. They had activities for the residents. They had exercises and field trips. The exterior was very nice. The landscaping was amazing than most people had in their yards and that's the other reason why I liked that. Their price was okay. If you needed more service, then it would be more pricey.

Thank you so much, Kathy, for recommending us! And thank you for noticing our landscaping - we work hard and take pride in it. The services we offer are priced a la carte, so our residents can pick and choose what they want without having to pay for something they won't use. Your view of our community is spot on, and I really appreciate sharing your thoughts.

Sincerely, Debby Stanley Executive Director (734) 454-9838

December 13, 2013

American House Westland Joy was very nice, very clean, and the people were very nice. I like the location. It's near to my house and that's what important to me because I'm the one who takes her driving and takes her everywhere.

Thank you so much, Caring74893650 for taking the time to leave this review. We are happy you found our community to be friendly and tidy - we take great pride in that! We also strive to be in more than 30 Michigan cities so there is almost always an American House community nearby. Please call me directly or stop by anytime if you have questions or if you just want to chat.

Sincerely, Debby Stanley Executive Director (734) 454-9838

November 27, 2013

By Hewitt

I visited American House and they're all right. The assisted living part was separate from the building itself. They gave me a tour. I was invited to their activities but I didn't go to any of them. I found the staff to be very friendly. If this is the type of facility they are looking for, yes I would recommend this place.

Thanks for leaving your feedback! I really appreciate that you would recommend our community to others. Perhaps next time you can join in on some of the activities we have going on around our community.

October 18, 2013

By Doris15

American House had new apartments for the handicapped. The apartment was nice enough but somebody forgot to do the bathroom door and I couldn't get through the bathroom door with my wheelchair. We had dinner there and it was fine but it certainly was not restaurant dining as they claimed. The place was at least clean.

Thanks for your feedback, Doris, and I will look into the bathroom door situation. We use the phrase "restaurant-style dining" to mean that we offer a variety of different options at meal times. If you'd like to come back, perhaps you would enjoy one of our other tasty meals! Please let me know if I can be of any assistance - my door is always open.

May 30, 2012

By Tony hick

American House Westland Joy Senior Living is a beautiful assisted living facility. My great grandmother became a resident here 4 years ago and she wouldn't want to live anywhere else but here. The place is neat and tidy. In fact, I've already made arrangements for myself to live here when I retire. My great grandmother hasn't complained once ever since she became a resident. The staff is incredibly friendly and knows everyone by name. They work hard to ensure a fun and positive atmosphere. The building though not the newest but is well maintained. The layout of the whole facility is fairly simple as well, a plus for residents who may have memory and/or mobility issues. A large variety of programs keep residents entertained, from music to card games or bingo to art and crafts. Overall a nice looking place in a nice town with nice staff. Quality of food is incredible and variety of options is offered. The cooking area is also neat and tidy strictly following the hygienic standards. Brochures are available to gain first hand information about the prices which are surely cheaper than other facilities.

Dear Tony Hick,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are very pleased to hear how much your great-grandmother is enjoying living at American House Westland Joy "” and excited to hear that you'll be staying with us as well in the future.

We take great pride in offering a large variety of amenities and activities for our residents, and we really do try to make sure our residents are enjoying themselves (including at meal times!).

If you ever need anything, my door is always open. Thank you again for taking the time to leave such a great review.

Sincerely, Michelle Connell, Executive Director (734) 454-9838

Photos of American House Westland Joy Senior Living

Features of American House Westland Joy Senior Living

About American House Westland Joy Senior Living

Set in a beautifully wooded lot on Joy road just minutes from I-275, American House Westland Joy is situated near family, friends, shopping, and familiar medical professionals in Westland, Wayne, Garden City, Livonia, Canton and Plymouth. We are also in close proximity to hospitals including, St. Mary Mercy Livonia, Garden City Hospital, and Botsford Hospital. Westland Joy Senior Living provides Independent Living with assistance available.*

Apartments at Westland Joy Senior Living include 1 and 2 bedroom apartments with kitchens, living rooms and private baths - many with patios or balconies overlooking landscaped grounds. We also have a community dining room - restaurant-style dining available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our residents also enjoy a reading room, cozy fireplace lounge and a new Physical Therapy Clinic that opened in the summer of 2009.

An Activity Director plans a wide range of cultural, social and recreational activities and trips. Resident Services also include scheduled transportation. Laundry and housekeeping services are also available.

*Medical support services provided by a third party not affiliated with American House.

Reimbursement

Private Pay, VA, SSI

Property Amenities

• New Physical Therapy Clinic
  • Dining Room
  • Reading Room
  • Cozy fireplace lounge
  • Emergency pull-cords in each unit
  • Activities/Recreation