The Bristal Assisted Living at Westbury

Reviews of The Bristal Assisted Living at Westbury

September 30, 2015

By Theresa Nastasia

Other

My Mom was a resident for just 2 weeks before becoming ill. The Wellness staff did not recognize that she was not feeling well and forced her to go to the dining room for lunch, even though she was sick. She wound up falling in her room because she was so weak. Two days later, she wound up in the hospital with severe bronchitis. We kept/paid for her room for 2 months hoping she would go back after her hospital stay, but she never did. We realized that they could not care for her and we didn't trust them. We paid a total of $13,000 and we only received a $2,680 reimbursement, which was for extras due us, (shower/med management), since she obviously did not receive these services while in the hospital. Bottom line: Administration was very accommodating during our tour and seemed sincere, but once my Mom became a Resident, we couldn't even get them on the phone to ask a question. They didn't even answer my emails. DO NOT send your loved one here. Its just a business to these people and they have no compassion. They are just into making money and could care less about the Residents.

July 13, 2015

My mom is at The Bristal. The staff is wonderful. Dining is excellent. Everything is very good. The apartments are very clean. They have dancing and bingo. They take residents out to dinner, they provide transportation, and they take them to shows. It is very good. They have holiday parties. It is very nice. Everybody is well dressed. They know all the residents. It is amazing! The facility is also secure.

July 20, 2014

By Linda86272750

The Bristal is very nice, clean, and modern. The atmosphere is warm and friendly. The people are more independent, and are involved in the activities. The staff is very nice. My dad is in a friendship suite, and has to share the bathroom. They have a lot of trips and a lot of activities going on. It would be best for people who do not have so many issues going on.

February 27, 2014

By jparteach

I was very impressed by all this facility had to offer. There are a lot of options for activities and numerous areas within the facility for someone to be during the course of the day. I got a very warm feeling when I was there.

December 23, 2013

By Flower123

I just love this facility. It has all I need. The facility is beautiful. They do everything for you, laundry, meals, cleaning. Its like living at a beautiful palace. I'm so glad that I made the decision to come here,.. my life is so much easier, with no stress and no worries. thank g-d for the bristal

August 15, 2013

By Ellen12

Bristal at Westbury was really nice. It was also a little older than the one we had looked at. Nevertheless, it appeared taken care of very well. You could definitely be proud to bring people there. However, they did not have the two-bedroom apartments that my parents wanted.

May 29, 2013

By Drew3

When I visited The Bristal, I can see that the place is very clean and well kept. The staff were very nice and very professional. They ushered me around to the dining room and the common area in which the residents are taken to. Their kitchen room was very, very small. They also showed me a studio-type room in which the bedroom is also small.

April 09, 2013

By Rachel 1

I thought the Bristal at Westbury was great. The lady who gave us the tour, Gloria, was very, very nice. You could tell that she loves her job. She really was helpful and she wanted to make my father feel comfortable. The place was very clean. I think the reason my father didn't want to select this place is the location. It's in a very commercial area and right next to the train station. But it's a very beautiful place. It's just right so close to the road and there's not a lot of property.

December 03, 2012

By Alicia18

The entire environment is amazing. The staff, at least who I see when I go, is amazing and is great with my grandmother. Whenever she needs help, all I see are smiling faces and the nursing are just great. The facility itself is very clean and well organized; I never have any issues finding where I need to go. I visit my grandmother frequently and so far I think we all made a great choice in choosing Bristal as her new home. They have a lot of events, such as fitness classes and support groups to keep her and her neighbors occupied. Everyday, there are a variety of activities anyone can participate in (including me when I go visit her). When I go to visit her I can tell she is right at home (since I know some seniors see assisted living as their family abandoning them) it makes me so happy to see her in her element at Bristal

September 11, 2012

By banus

The atmosphere is great when you enter. It doesn't feel like an assisted living. They make great friendships with the other people. He wasn't unhappy or anything. He even had a girlfriend and he was flirting with her all the time. If I was to get old I would want to be at an assisted living because I can make friends and never be lonely. Life is too short to stay home all alone. They have planned meals daily on time. They would never forget to take their medications because even if they did there is always somebody to remind them and make sure that they take their medications on time. It is fun and safe environment both for men and women.For my friend's grandfather it was surely better than him staying with his daughter and be home alone. He is very happy to be there and that is all that matters.

August 01, 2012

By dd1

my mom has been at the bristal westbury for one year. she is always very clean and taken care of. even though she does not know what is going on it reassures me that she is well cared for.

July 30, 2012

By Shanice Lyons

The place seemed very friendly. The place was clean. It seemed like a loving a care environment. Everyone seemed to get along. The prices are more than reasonable. You have so many things right here in one place. They have people who come in and sing to the residents and they have numerous different activities available to them. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that is looking for an assisted living type of home. Even though family members don't live with you in the facility they will always feel welcomed. The caring and loving staff make them feel right at home when they come to visit. Just my one visit made me feel like I was apart of the family. My grandmother felt very comfortable as if she was being left in good hands. Thats something that you look for when you look around for facilities. Somewhere that you can call home.

July 07, 2012

By Lisa7

My dad is at The Bristal Westbury and loves everything about it. The food is wonderful the staff is caring and he is having so much fun. I am so glad we made this move

May 03, 2012

By rob1230

The staff was extremely friendly. This made visiting easy and convenient. The facilities were kept very well. From what I could tell the care given was excellent. My great grandmother was 93 years old when she lived here and she seemed happier here than when she was living on her own.

March 07, 2012

By CassidyQ2495

The facility was as expected, the staff was friendly, my aunt was well taken care of and i heard minimal complaints. at times i would recieve calls from my aunt saying the facility was neglectful at times but whenever i came to visit they seemed attentive and rather friendly. overall the place seemed like a good choice for her and shes happy with the assistance because many things she can't do alone and I work long hours so i can't be there to help her whereas they can. i put complete trust in their service and would reccomend others.

November 28, 2011

By maryann C.

My Aunt was a resident of the Britol in Westbury and I thought the facility was very professional and caring. She prevviously stayed at anothe rfacillity for aout 4 months and it was a nightmare as far a care goes. At the Britol the staff was so caring they treated her as though she was part of there family. When ever we went to visit her she always had a smile on her face. The bristol was a wonderful place for my aunt to spend her last year pf her life.. I would highly recommend it to anyone. As I said I had other facilities to compare it with and it was indeed the best place for our loved one to be taken care of.

July 27, 2011

By Heart4elders

Other

The residents who live at The Westbury Bristal are there because they need assistance with their daily lives. Many of the residents that I encountered at the facility eventually grew to like having their lives orchestrated. The residents typically would complain about the afternoon entertainment of budding artists coming in for the afternoon to sing them "happy songs." The staff or anyone who was around, would be in charge of taking the residents down to the party room for that afternoon's event. Most of the residents would mostly sleep throughout the event or sneak off when nobody was looking. It wasn't uncommon to walk into the facility and see the residents asleep in the party room, café or just catching a snooze on the seats of their walkers in a hallway. Having their hair and nails done was a big part of the resident's day. Even if they didn't want their hair done, they would be called numerous times to come down or an aide would go to their room and escort them down to the salon. Most of the residents would stop coming to the salon because the prices were too high or they didn't like being forced to get a service done simply because their name appeared on a list. The main reason the residents didn't like coming to get their hair done, was because the chairs were unsafe. The shampoo chair was broken for years. The chair would not lock and residents would have to hold on when sitting in the chair. This caused the chair to move and the resident would lose their balance and almost hit the floor if no one was there to help them into the chair. The maintenance department was notified about the chair, but nothing was ever done. We were told by the maintenance man that the administration was not going to fix the chair because they had empty rooms to fill and could not worry about fixing a chair. A new chair was not in the budget.

Photos of The Bristal Assisted Living at Westbury

Features of The Bristal Assisted Living at Westbury

• Minimum Memory Cost: $7400/month

• Pharma

• State Licenses: 400-S-300 EH

About The Bristal Assisted Living at Westbury

The Bristal Assisted Living at Westbury is dedicated to enhancing the lives of seniors by encouraging them to enjoy and express their independence in a luxurious setting. We boast gourmet dining, beautiful surroundings, weekly laundry and housekeeping services, cablevision and scheduled transportation to shopping, community activities and group outings.

At The Bristal, individuals will find that help is available, if needed, for personal care, medication management, meals, housekeeping, laundry, recreation and 24-hour per day supervision with our high staff-to-resident ratio, compassionate, and expertly-trained staff. Residents have a choice of friendship suites, studios, and one bedroom apartments, replete with roomy kitchens and generous bathrooms. In addition, each Bristal houses a special area call Reflections for those adults who have early to mid-stage Alzheimer's and other memory related cognitive disorders.

A definite benefit of The Bristal at Westbury is its ideal "walk into town" location. A short stroll leads right to the heart of Westbury, where stores and quaint shops of all kinds can be found. In fact, with Westbury so close by, even residents who don't have cars can enjoy independent access to the things they need: an unexpected sundry, a trip to the bank or an afternoon at the library. With the LIRR right nearby, an excursion into NYC is quick and hassle-free.

Map of The Bristal Assisted Living at Westbury