Canterbury Village of West Orange

33 Mount Pleasant Avenue, West Orange, NJ, 07052

Reviews of Canterbury Village of West Orange

Caring daughter119531650 January 24, 2016

Canterbury seemed clean, the staff seemed good, but it was not active enough for my mother. The rooms were quite small, and there was a long waiting list, so it put me off.

CanterburyFriend December 22, 2012

I always felt like the facility was clean and the staff was friendly. They had a variety of activities to try and keep the residents engaged. For example, Christmas caroles, movies, assorted presentations and shows. There were many residents with dementia. They also kept a very pleasant dining room where the residents came to eat dinner. It felt very cozy. In fact, the entire facility had some charm to it. I think the staff really tried to make it feel like a home away from home. The only disturbing part for me, was the my Grandmother fell a few times in their care and I didn't think they cared enough for her appearance. Helping to keep her clean and presentable is important to our family, as was her safety. I think after the first fall, more precautions should have been in place, such as moving furniture and getting her a better chair for her room. All in all, however, I would recommend this facility. It was clean and the staff was kind and seemed to care. However, I firmly believe that all residents need an outside advocate to look after their needs.

conk July 23, 2012

The Canterbury Village of West Orange was one of the few area assistant living facilities we visited. My first impressions was that it gave me a homely feeling from the outside and main foyer. The description of services was explained but I really didn't feel that they lived up to their expectations. They have a medical staff on duty 24-hours, seven days a week , which I thought was very important due to my uncle condition. After doing research on the doctors, they had a good re pore, which made feel very comfortable. Another aspect that was important was daily activities for active seniors. The activity agenda was not good to me. The activities seem planned for stationary seniors rather than active seniors. The dining setting made feel like you were eating in your personal dining area. The food quality wasn't the best but doable. The financial cost was on the expensive side for what they offered.

tammyJ May 14, 2011

Visited this facility

I visited Canterbury Village in West Orange on five occassions through an art program there. This is a warm and inviting residence. The staff greet you with a smile at the front door and try to address your needs instantly. Upon walking through the front door I witnessed how clean and meticulous the furniture and upholstery was. The furniture was in very good condition and the colors were bright and vibrant throughout the house. I say "house" because it felt like I was visiting a family in their lovely abode. It is a pretty intimitate group and I would imagine each resident gets the care and attention they require because the staff were so involved during my visit; they even participated in the activities. Upon completing the program, I was informed by a resident of how well she is treated by the staff. The majority of the diverse men and women who live at Canterbury Village are bound to wheelchairs so they require plenty of intricate attention; therefore, it was gratifying hearing her praises. I had no doubts about the genuine care of the individuals there because it was all revealed to me the minute I walked through the door.

From Canterbury Village of West Orange

Canterbury Village in West Orange, New Jersey is one of the areas most experienced Senior Assisted Residences in the metropolitan area. We have been providing seniors with quality care and housing services since 1921. Canterbury Village boasts the advantages of assisted living in a manageable environment of only fifty-three residents.

Our residents become extended family for one another as they share their life experiences and interests together. Canterbury Village is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization which is governed by a voluntary Board of Trustees.

Residents can enjoy companionship, various planned activities and a structured environment, while still maintaining their dignity and independence. Personalized assistance and health care services are available 24 hours a day.

Private and semi-private accommodations are available with added safety features. They may be furnished or you are welcome to bring your own furniture and personal mementos. Each studio is carpeted and complete with window treatments.

A beautiful great room, library, outdoor courtyard and a delightful sun room are available for gathering and for family visits. Canterbury Village serves all meals in charming, intimate dining rooms.

All rooms are located on one floor. Canterbury Village is protected with a stand alone generator making sure our residents are safe at all times.

Features of Canterbury Village of West Orange

• Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Pharmacy
  • Skilled nursing
  • Physical therapy
  • Hospice care

• Housing extra: Private and Semi-Private Studios
  • Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• 24-hour security gate
  • Shared space where residents can host parties

• Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition

• Minimum memory care rate: $3,850/month

• Pets: No pets allowed
  • Staff patient ratio: 6 to 1
  • Minimum age: 55

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

• State License(s): N2K04D