Brighton Gardens of West Orange

220 Pleasant Valley Way, West Orange, NJ, 07052

Reviews of Brighton Gardens of West Orange

Caring103453950 December 27, 2014

I visited Brighton Gardens. It was a nice place. However, my wife was relatively a young woman then. She was only in her early 70s and the clientele there were somewhat older. It was more of a geriatric home than one for an active adult. The rooms were small, and once I saw the apartment, I knew it was not going to work. I saw the activities posted; they had bingo. It was more for older people and not anything my wife would be interested in. To a casual view, it seemed to be safe enough.

Caring94944250 September 25, 2014

I saw the Sunrise facility in West Orange (Brighton Gardens of West Orange) and it was a very nice place. I was very pleased with the visit. Everybody was nice and friendly. The staff apparently was very stable. They had worked there for a very long time, 7 years and more. The director was very nice to us. I saw the memory unit, and with the way they had it organized, it seemed very impressive. We toured the apartment and we had lunch there. If I would rate the food, it would be a four. However, they wouldn’t take Medicaid. If you could pay for a certain period of time and then after that if you had to go on Medicaid, they don’t take it. So you would have to move to another facility.

We didn’t have a chance to be there when majority of the residents were there. It would have been better if majority of the residents were around because we want to see the atmosphere and we wanted to know if mother would fit in the facility.

Caring86386450 June 30, 2014

I thought Brighton Gardens was a very lovely place. It was beautiful. However, it wasn't quite as high end as the other community I saw, but I actually like it better because it was a little smaller, no long hallway to walk down. It was just a really smaller facility, and they had fewer residents, and I felt like it was a little more homey. My parents both went, and they both liked it very much. They liked the food and the activities. They had some nice things to do there. They offered physical therapy. They had music going in the lobby, somebody playing the piano. It was very nice and very comfortable. For activities, they had theater, tai chi, operas being played on the big-screen TV, etc. The one problem with Brighton Gardens, though, was that their apartments were small, and the bedrooms were not conducive for couples. They were much better for single people.

Carol81297850 March 31, 2014

I liked Brighton Gardens, and my grandmother liked it a lot. The rooms were really nice, really clean. You can bring in your microwave. It looks like a half-kitchen almost, and there's a small bedroom and bathroom. The staff was really nice and so accommodating. Everyone there was really sweet. The menu looks very good. I remember a lot of arts and crafts and a lot of creative programs, and it was really nice. I remember the doctors who come in once a week. It was definitely one of my favorites.

Steve30 February 14, 2014

I visited Brighton Gardens of West Orange. I thought it was really nice and clean. The rooms that I saw were basic, not anything overly done but was of comfortable size. The staff was extremely receptive to me and they absolutely were very polite and helpful. The place had a homey and caring environment to it. I was impressed with the way they took me through and explained everything. The treatment was great.

Gail16 December 30, 2013

Brighton Gardens seemed to be nice. It was a good place. I thought the rooms were comfortable.

Phoebe2 April 30, 2013

Sunrise Senior Living has very cheery staff, they're professional and warm. I was very impressed. The place was beautifully decorated and clean. They have a nice setup in the lobby. I'd recommend this facility to others.

Richard4 October 29, 2012

It was the nicest, most luxurious place. Brighton Gardens have a 24-hour medical staff on hand. They had a memory section which he needed. They treated everybody very well. Everybody was super sweet and it looked like everybody cares on what they were doing. He was always with somebody caring for him every time I came in. The meals looked great. I would very much recommend this facility. It was kind of expensive, but it was a great place. All the rooms were clean, everything's fresh and new.

Family52 October 20, 2012

i want to begin by seconding everything said by the previous reviewer. Senior Housing isn't easy, and although I find the facility to be clean and pleasant with lovely grounds, after several years experience there, I have some specifics to add. My family member is an anxious, difficult, unhappy elder; so I listened to the complaints, especially about the food with deaf ears. Having eaten there, I had thought the food was good. But recently, I can see a serious problem with the food. I was there after a long day, very hungry. And I could barely stand a few bites. I cannot remember school cafeteria food being this awful and incredibly saddening. Overcooked and not bland, but the taste was sickening. i watched the servers picking up plate after plate of barely touched meals. My relative has very little left to enjoy and really has no reason to even look forward to meals. I am positive that the residents feel powerless about the way the food is prepared. And at over $6000 a month, the food could at least match school cafeteria food. If you are considering the facility, drop in at mealtimes several times, unexpectedly, to get a true picture of how they are feeding our elders.

Thank you for visiting our Brighton Garden of West Orange community and we're glad to hear that you had a positive experience. We focus on creating nutritious and delicious menus that cater to the unique needs of seniors. Our chefs use fresh and flavorful ingredients to create menus that offer a variety of choices every day. Allow us to have you as our guest again, so that you can try another dish from our Signature Dining Program. Please contact us at information@sunriseseniorliving.com

Lauren6 September 27, 2012

Brighton Gardens is a very nice place, though I'm not sure it's perfect for my grandmother. The dining facilities are very nice. They have two seatings for the residents and the servers are really top-notch. I've come on a few occasions and been impressed with the atmosphere in the dining room. Also, my grandmother scheduled herself for the later lunch seating but is often hungry before that. They always find a place for her and never give her any grief for not coming at her scheduled seating.The nursing staff is only so-so. They are far from my grandmother's room and it seems like she can never get t them when she wants/needs them. Also, my grandmother was on a schedule for medication, but that basically means that she has to get to the nursing station at her medication time. Since missing her medication (even by an hour) can lead to an anxiety attack, I wish the nurses were more pro-active about seeking her out to give her medication as opposed to waiting for her to arrive. My grandmother needs a psychiatrist, but there is only one in house once a week who gives a 10-minute sessions. Clearly, that is not enough for a 92-year-old with multiple medical problems and medications.The grounds are nice enough. You can walk around outside and there is a nice enclosed patio. One problem is that the enclosed patio is often locked from the inside, so if you want to get back in, you need to hope that someone is around to open the door from inside. I have had some unpleasant experiences there with residents being annoyed when we tried to return to the building.

Thank you for your message. If you'd like to talk further about the service of a particular team member, we would like to hear from you. Our team members are committed to providing quality care and we are very proud of the joy they bring to residents every day. Please contact us at information@sunriseseniorliving.com.

From Brighton Gardens of West Orange

Brighton Gardens of West Orange is located in a beautiful suburban setting only 20 minutes from New York City amenities. We are nestled between a premier golf course and the historic South Mountain Reservation, which includes acres of protected land with parks, walkways and trails. We partner with professional services in the area to offer our residents a wide range of activities. In addition to our excellent programming we also offer a specialized neighborhood for residents with Alzheimer's or other forms of memory loss. Come find out why many of our team members and residents have called Brighton Gardens of West Orange "home" the past ten years!

Services & Amenities at Brighton Gardens of West Orange

Although services and amenities vary slightly by location and care level, they typically include:

• Daily physical fitness, creative, social, learning and spiritual activities, scheduled group trips and resident-sponsored clubs for a variety of interests
  • Up to three delicious, well-balanced meals served daily featuring a variety of menu choices with snacks available throughout the day
  • Trained staff available 24 hours a day
  • Monthly wellness visits by a licensed on-staff nurse
  • Weekly housekeeping and daily trash removal
  • Weekly personal laundry
  • Social and educational programs for families
  • Scheduled resident and family meetings
  • Gracious accommodations with a variety of floor plans
  • Maintenance of building and grounds

For more information on the services and amenities available for the care level you are seeking, please give us a call or stop by the community.

Location of Brighton Gardens of West Orange