Sunrise of Westtown

501 Skiles Boulevard, West Chester, PA, 19382

Reviews of Sunrise of Westtown

caring09121 December 31, 2013

My visit at Sunrise of Westtown was pleasant. I like some of their rooms because they were very nice and spacious. People there were very nice and pleasant too. They have activities that residents can enjoy. I like everything about Sunrise.

Caring75441850 December 17, 2013

The staff at Sunrise of Westtown seemed very friendly and welcoming. They showed a lot of respect for their residents. They have several room arrangements where you could either share a room with one other person or have a place by yourself. I liked the idea that the rooms in the dementia wing were exactly the same as the rooms in assisted living, so if you have to make a switch, you could switch to something of the same size as what you had before, you don't have to down size. I liked the outdoor area that they had for the dementia wing where people could walk outside and sit on benches and enjoy the garden. I liked the fact that the caregivers followed their clients from the area where they live to the dining room, and they actually serve the residents that they are in charge of at mealtime, so they could watch their behavior as they ate. So, it's really good quality of care.

Vince3 September 26, 2013

We passed by Sunrise and my partner decided that we look at the place. The place is new and nice, but it was small. The rooms felt very small. The dining room and the lobby area was much smaller. Walking from the lobby to the dining it felt very crowded with tables and the residents sitting around. It felt tight in there and the facility is expensive.

Thomas6513 July 31, 2013

Sunrise of Westtown was very nice, well maintained and cared for and it has very pleasant surroundings.

pinkfrog876 July 31, 2012

The whole facility was very clean and polished. The decoration was professional, with paintings, beautiful vases, small little statues all over, and board games or a chess game setup in a corner or two. The cafeteria was operated smoothly by the staff and seating was comfortable. Moving into the apartment was a breeze as the buildings offered wheeled carts that fit into the elevator. Mirrors were plentiful in the hallways which made it all look larger, classier, and less suffocating. The front receptionist was very kind and helpful in pointing out the directions to rooms. She treated my grandmother who can be very forgetful with much needed patience and kindness. She told us about the various services and we learned they offer both assisted living and independent living. There is a nurse who is always on call for emergencies. The landscaping is breathtakingly beautiful and great for short little walks.

shersher1 July 21, 2012

I 'm actually a relative of a former resident. Sunrise markets the facility as being able to care for you loved one, especially alzheimers residents, until death. NOT SO. When my mom got into the violent stage they had to ship her out to a psychiatric unit for meds. She got a cellulitis on her toe because she was a "pacer" and because they have so much furniture etc in the hallways she stubbed her toe and it got infected. I pointed it out to them and told them she needed antibiotics. I was away for a couple of days and came back and they were just going to start her antibiotics because they "hadn't gotten them in yet" By that time the cellulitis was all the way up her leg to her knee and she was beyond the point of oral antibiotics. I ended up taking her to the hospital ER myself and she got admitted for a week of IV antibiotics. They use what they call med techs for medication administrations, not nurses. They were constantly crushing meds that were not supposed to be crushed, I reported it to the director and nothing changed. My mother ended up having seizures because I found out they were also crushing her long acting antidepressant. When she had a seizure one of the other techs stuck a tongue blade in her mouth, which has long been shown to be dangerous. Another time she gave her morphine, which is not a drug used for seizures, BY MOUTH, when she was unconscious. There is no nurse in the faciltiy after 5pm, just run by caregivers and med techs. Most of the caregivers were young college kids with minimal training so they send the residents out to the hospital for everything, even if they have a do not resuscitate order. My mom was even on hospice when they sent her because she fell out of bed onto a fall mat with no obvious injury. At meal times in the Renaissance unit it is so incredibly noisy that the residents get agitated.They blend any pureed foods there and they young kids are constantly talking among themselves as if the residents aren't even there. Then they have their version of oldies on the radio, which to them is 60"s music. When they show you the place it looks very pretty & they market that it is homelike. It is just truly filled to the brim with furniture and nicknacks that get in the way. It is way too crowded with the residents constantly bumping into and tripping over furniture. They also got end tables at one point with sharp square edges and wouldn't change them until I pointed out the hazard. So if you get the feeling that I am totally displeased with this place, I am. I would suggest you find a facility that is continuous care so that if your loved one has to go from say assisted living to an alzheimers or skilled unit you at least know the staff. Be very very careful when choosing a facility, check their staffing levels, their ability to care for complications of the disease and with the progression of it.

SarahG May 26, 2012

The staff were courteous, sensitive and welcoming; they were clearly accustomed to people who had recently lost loved ones, and who were dealing with difficult life transitions. The facility itself is attractive. The furniture is the same throughout, which sometimes gives it the feel of a nice chain hotel, but it was bright and very clean - no smell of urine or people rocking in the hallways. We did not see this personally, but they described a full schedule of activities to keep seniors mentally engaged and socially interactive, as well as trips to the mall, restaurants and shows. It is also conveniently located on a major road, so very convenient from Phoenixville, Kimberton, Lionville and the surrounding area. The downside is that it is quite expensive. I would not recommend starting your search at Sunrise unless you are certain that you can comfortably afford it. It was the most home-like and welcoming of the assisted living and nursing facilities that we viewed. The others seemed quite depressing in comparison.

ann454 May 09, 2012

Sunrise and their staff were always very and warm and welcoming. The staff was friendly, outgoing, and caring. They always tried their hardest to make sure that the resident was happy and satisfied. Their dining room was nice and the food was decent. They also had many activities and trips for the residents to partake in. The whole ambiance of Sunrise is very cheerful and bright. The facilities were clean, and organized. The staff always worked hard to ensure that the families were content with the care of their loved one. If an issue did in fact arise they were always there to try their best to sort it out. We ultimately had a great experience with Sunrise. However, their dementia unit, I think could be a little more secure. The lock doors just do not seem to be enough. Residents can still wander out of the unit if visitors are coming and going. My Grandfather, instance was one of the residents that was able to wander out of his unit. He was left wandering a near by neighborhood for house before they found him. He easily could have been mistaken for someone from another unit or outside guest visiting a friend in the dementia unit and whoever let him out probably did not know he was actually a resident of the dementia unit. I understand the doors are kept locked but maybe if someone was stationed near the door they could better keep an eye on or if they see a resident walking towards that area stop them. I understand things do happen and accidents and mishaps occur, but I feel that we are paying a high price for the safety and well-being of our loved ones there should more security.

stowle May 09, 2012

The staff members that I worked with while I was volunteering were helpful and friendly. They seemed to actively participate and engage the members of the facility. The building was large and spacious, yet still easy to navigate. Many of the individuals living at the facility were lively and happy to greet new visitors. For the most part, all needs were met in a timely manner. Occasionally, however, staff member would avert attention from the community member in order to focus their attention on non-relevant tasks, such as talking on the phone or having a conversation with another staff member. This was uncommon, however, and did not seem to interfere too much with the general flow of work within the facility. Sunrise of Westtown is one of the more attentive and amiable assisted-living facilities I have volunteered at and I plan on doing more work with them in future.

MM729 July 29, 2011

The facility looked so nice when we first visited and after talking to the Manager, we decided it would be a great place for my parents to live. After they moved in the first month seemed to go smoothly, but after that the quality of care deteriorated. Their apartment was not cleaned often, there was feces all over the toilet, the charges kept increasing, the quality of the food was poor and some of the management was extremely rude. If my Mom needed to be wheeled to her room, the staff would be told "she can wait" by the management and my Mom would sit in the lobby for a few hours. The staff would be sitting in the next room and Mom said you could see they felt badly but they were afraid to go against their manager. When you enter the lobby, the person at the front desk never even acknowledged you, she was too busy searching the internet. She was also rude to the clients, I heard her yelling at them a few times. I would avoid this place at ALL COSTS! We removed my parents a few months ago.

SpunkyKyle June 23, 2011

My Grandmother lives there and as I am not far away from this facility, I visit her often (about 6-7 times a month). My grandmother has Alzheimer's and has difficulty with her memory. They are staffed with people who understand Alzheimer's and are patient and helpful. They often give me updates on her condition and her general well being. The facility is located in a very nice area with good scenery and the building is always cleaned to perfection. I am very happy with where my grandmother is living.

From Sunrise of Westtown

Step into a Sunrise Assisted Living community and you can?t help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, to our comfortable community areas and choice of suites to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping. Look around and you?ll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to ensure that each day spent here is a welcome one.

Features of Sunrise of Westtown