Sunrise of West Babylon

540 Montauk Highway, West Babylon, NY, 11704

Reviews of Sunrise of West Babylon

Noreen6 August 30, 2014

My uncle is very happy in Sunrise and the whole family lives near the area. We wanted to keep him close to home. You walk in there and it looks like a very nice hotel, which is good. The staff always has a smile on, and are very patient and courteous. They make sure he gets his medication three times a day, and I feel very satisfied knowing that they’re caring for him. They really try to make everybody comfortable and happy, and they don’t just let him sit in the corner. I know that they would be working on getting my uncle out of the room but is actually busy doing puzzles and watching the Yankees. The apartment is a little small but it meets his needs. The place is expensive but it’s a very nice place. He doesn’t like to participate in the activities, but if he wanted to, there are many outings he could go on. He is a not a social kind of guy but they do have so many things to offer. I haven’t eaten there but it smells great when I have visited. They have their own tables and have assigned seats. As a visitor, I wouldn’t be able to sit with him unless I booked a particular room. Everything else is great and I sleep better at night knowing he’s there. This is a great relief to the entire family but just with the financial and he has absolutely no complaints at all about the place.

Caring87693650 June 30, 2014

One of the things I liked is that Sunrise has an in-house nursing home should the situation move from assisted living to a regular nursing home situation. One of the pluses is that it's relatively near where I live, too. I thought it was top notch, but I also had the advantage of having another relative who had spent his last days there. The family recommended it very highly. I'm going to take my sister there and show it to her, and I'm sure she'll approve.

The room that I'm interested in is a studio. Very clean, very nice room with a bath, a sink, and a small refrigerator, but adequate for what we're looking for. They offered me coffee, and there is a restaurant facility there for the use of the residents. They have religious services on the grounds. They also have medical staff on hand. They even have a beauty parlor if you want. There are all kinds of hobby things in there, people playing cards, and entertainment. They also have a bus service where they take them out every once in a while to go shopping, so I thought it was quite nice.

Louis5 June 26, 2014

Sunrise of West Babylon was a very nice place. It was beautiful. It was very clean, too. My father-in-law, at the time that he was there, had a beautiful little apartment. The people were very nice. The living place was nice. They had entertainment for the residents. We had lunch there with him; however, I was not happy with the food. My father-in-law wasn't too happy with the food either.

Caring69461050 February 28, 2014

Sunrise was a very nice place. The staff was very nice and very helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean. They had studio and a small apartment. The dining seemed adequate.

Shadock August 28, 2012

The staff is always nice and welcoming, they seem to have formed some level of friendship with my grandmother which is comforting as she has been mentally deterioration. They provide physical and mentally stimulating activities all day long, as well as well cooked meals in which family members can join for. The facility itself is very clean and upscale looking, not what someone would think of for a assisted living facility. Occasionally there is a lack of communication regarding my grandmother's health. However it is always corrected within 48 hours and the head nurse always takes care of the problem personally.They also have a room in the back which can be used for birthday parties or other celebrations if you want to visit with a large number of people. One of the employees has dogs that come and stay during her work hours which is a nice treat as all the dogs are very well tempered and all the old folks seem to enjoy the company very much.

maryann123 December 19, 2011

I recently visited Sunrise Senior Living in West Babylon to inquire about placement for my husband. The facility is very much like the one in Holbrook, except that the common areas are a little smaller and it has three floors. I was greeted shortly after entering by Barney the house dog, a beagle mix rescue dog that was very friendly and loving. Of course, being a dog person, this set the tone for my visit.

Overall, the services and description are similar to the Holbrook location. Since these facility locations may be owned and operated by different individuals, all abide by the guidelines, training, policies and procedures set by the parent company. The major difference is in the tone the administration sets and the staff they hire. The receptionist who provided the info and tour was much more knowledgeable than the person at the Holbrook location and was able to answer all my questions in detail.

As we walked through the facility residents spoke with me and shared how much they liked it there. One group of residents was finishing up a game of Bingo and was very excited to tell us they were winners. Another group was gathered around a big screen TV watching a movie. Several other residents were sitting in the library talking. I met several staff members and each was very friendly and did not hesitate to approach or speak with me. I noticed that staff working directly with residents on the floor called Reminiscence Neighborhood, which is designed for seniors with mild or advanced Alzheimer's and other forms of memory loss, wore aprons and name tags. Each seemed to be truly interested in the residents and their activities. On each floor, there is a Care Manager Board with the picture, name and shift hours of all the care managers so families know who is caring for the resident and when. They have Resident Council meetings where residents may express their likes and dislikes about anything offered at Sunrise Senior Living.

Both locations have a community dining room available for reservation for private celebrations or dinners with the resident. Dinner, beer, wine, dessert and dinner is offered at the West Babylon location for $7 pp and the dining room seats 8. If the Holbrook location offers these services, the info was not offered at the time of my visit at this level of detail.

Furniture for rooms, including bedroom and beds, is not provided by the West Babylon facility. If you need a hospital bed, you can bring one in.

The best parts about the West Babylon Sunrise Senior Living are: 1. The residents are friendly, seem very happy to live there, and speak freely with visitors. 2. Staff interact freely and converse with the residents and visitors. 3. There was a full calendar of events with day and time, including trips, posted in the lobby. I was there at 8 P.M. and there was a lot going on. 4. Freedom to select and decorate living space with personal items, photos, and your own furniture.

The worst parts about Sunrise Senior Living are: 1. Cost of care may differ from location to location depending on who is calculating the costs, even though costs are only slightly different. Ask for a detailed account of how they arrived at the total monthly cost, including type of room and level of services. The cost of care quoted for my husband was much less at the West Babylon location than at Holbrook and West Babylon provided a complete breakdown of the items. 2. Although some financial options are listed in the brochure, it is your responsibility to secure payment. The facility does not provide help in doing this. They accept private pay only.

Out of five stars, I would rank the grounds, the common areas, the specialty areas including the hair salon, organized activities and staff a five. Overall, I would give Sunrise Senior Living in West Babylon five out of five stars. I would recommend anyone seeking these services to visit this facility as it is friendly, warm and homey, yet elegant. The staff and residents are very friendly and outgoing, which to me is a sign that they are happy there and enjoy it.

From Sunrise of West Babylon

Located just west of beautiful Babylon Village, Sunrise of West Babylon is conveniently situated among local shopping areas, cultural and community event locations, theatres and restaurants - and just minutes from one of Long Island's most beautiful shorelines. Sunrise and our residents take pride in actively participating in the community as well as enjoying all that Long Island has to offer.

Step into a Sunrise community and you can't help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, to our comfortable community areas and choice of suites to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping. Look around and you'll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to insure that each day spent here is a welcome one.

We are a home like atmosphere. We have a dog named Barney who greets our residents & families. We have a enhanced license with certification for the resident to stay at Sunrise and age in place.

Features of Sunrise of West Babylon

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency Call System
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Physical therapy
  • 24 hour nurses: Yes
  • Hospice care

• Companion suites: We do offer companion suites.

• Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition

• Private services

• Pets: Small pets allowed.

• Licenses: Enhanced
  • State License(s): 0622L009

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Sunrise of West Babylon