Brookdale Wayne

820 Hamburg Turnpike, Wayne, NJ, 07470

Reviews of Brookdale Wayne

Pandora3 August 22, 2015

This facility recently became Brookdale (from Emeritus). Since that time the food service has declined dramatically and the cable tv has been limited to what must be basic service (previously hallmark, food ,hgtv were available). Some of the staff are excellent and caring. Unfortunately, that can not be said for all.

Caring106474550 February 21, 2015

We did visit one that was recommended named Emeritus at Wayne. It was terrible because we are still waiting for a phone call back after two months. The staff was nice, but it was disappointing because we still haven't heard back. Everything was nice. The rooms were nice. I went there a couple of times, and one time they had visiting dogs. They have a movie in one room. It is a very nice place. They kept telling me to come back, and I couldn't keep coming back there to hear the same thing over and over again. Right now, they wouldn't take my sister, but it is a very nice place, and I would have liked that place.

Amy34 January 19, 2015

I was looking at the memory care areas of all the places I have looked at, and at the Emeritus, the memory care area was small. I felt not very nice -- I did not want my mother to be there. It just felt cramped, and it was not spacious. It was kind of looked like it was just stuck in there. It didn't feel anything like the rest of the facility.

Caring83669050 October 25, 2014

Emeritus is very nice. There are a lot of things for them to do, and they get three meals a day. They give them a little activity calendar, so she is very happy there. But I think they need to improve a little bit like the entrance way should be kept a little better and more updated. They should put an overhang outside so when you are putting back and its pouring rain, there’s a way to get that person with a walker to the car without trying to be under an umbrella. Some places I originally looked up long ago had something like that. I have never eaten there, but she is always happy with the food; she says it’s good, and sometimes she complains but we are happy with it.

Ed26 October 16, 2014

Mom is in Emeritus at Wayne and we get Medicaid. If you’re there for two years, you then get priority to those beds and the distance from my husband was something important. I wanted the minority of the beds to be Medicaid beds. It was pretty much what I pictured. My mom is Jewish, and they had a Rabbi coming in once a week, so that told us there was enough to use there. I like best is the people that I met: the executive director, director, customer relations, and Wendy the nurse. The room and dining room is really nice, and it is well-designed. Mom is engaged with their activities, and they have bingo every day.

They’re focusing on having fun while they do their jobs because if they have fun, they set the tone. The atmosphere is warm. It was friendly; they give head ups of what my mother’s character is like, and they knew exactly how to respond to her and make a big deal whether she came in. Other’s just didn’t do that. My mom couldn’t have been happier. The room was fine, extremely clean, extremely fine quality. and no smells or anything like that.

Caring80391350 August 28, 2014

Emeritus at Wayne was nice. It was very much like all the other ones, but what impressed me was that my mother wanted a large room, and they had a 600-square-foot room suite for her, so that's what I took for her. The staff seemed very nice. Also, I like this one because it is 5 minutes from my house. The place was spacious. The outside ground was not big, but my mother is 90 and she is not going outside too much. Security was fine. They had someone at the desk there all the time.

Caring88774150 July 07, 2014

I thought Emeritus at Wayne was a very nice facility. It has very caring staff. The campus itself is limited, but I think that if my parishioner had given them a chance, they would have integrated her into the community. Their fee seemed a bit less, and it was in Wayne itself, which was closer to where some of her friends might be enclosed in where she originally lived. She didn't feel that they were dealing with her dietary needs as much as she would like, but she was there only for a week, and that doesn't give anybody a chance. I am not criticizing them for that because I think that over time they could have worked on that, and they were willing to do that.

Cindy48 May 30, 2014

Emeritus at Wayne is very nice. The staff seemed very nice. The place was very clean and very nicely kept. The rooms looked big, nice, and spacious. Their dining room was very nice. There was a patio, and that was very nice too. The only thing that I didn’t like is the setting of the actual building. It was kind of off the main road, and it was esthetically not pleasing, like, there were no gardens.

Caring85516350 May 30, 2014

I had my mom at Emeritus at Wayne. We like everything about this facility, and that is the reason why we chose it. She has a studio room, and that is adequate for her. She has a little kitchenette, and it has a nice view. We love the staff. They are very nice.

Caring83589450 May 10, 2014

The rooms at Emeritus Wayne are very nice. They had different setup where each section had some sort of theme to it, like farm setting or something distinctive. The staff all seemed to be very competent.

Caring80206250 March 29, 2014

Emeritus at Wayne was fantastic. It was a very friendly environment. The staff was very nice and helpful. They were also informative. The room and apartment were very nice, as well as the dining facility. They had a lot of activities. They had exercise class and social programs.

John81171950 March 27, 2014

My dad is in Emeritus of Wayne. It is a very nice and up-beat community. The environment is nice, and there is nice feel to the place. Everybody in the front door office, the staff, and the people in the wellness center are very helpful and caring. The residents there seem happy. The rooms all look good.There are a nice size, clean, and bright. My dad has a studio, and it is a a decent size for him. I had lunch there, and the food is good. They have activities like movies, crafts, and different things that they do. On the second floor, they do cooking and exercising. I think they need probably more transportation over the week for the residents.

Caring76543050 February 26, 2014

Emeritus was like a hotel and had like 10 or 12 floors. No apartments on the first floor, it just goes up. They had a dining like a hall where people congregate or get together downstairs but upstairs, that's where we went to see the rooms. It was more like a hotel feel. When you first walk in, it just smelled bad. It smelled like people didn't get changed or something. The staff was nice but this feeling when you walk in and I couldn't wait to get out but I had to wait for my mom to hear as much as she could and then she was just like forget it. We didn't even want to go back.

Caring78139750 February 24, 2014

I really like Emeritus at Wayne. It was a nice facility and it's clean. From the Emeritus facilities I've seen I like this better because the rooms and the closet were a little bigger. I like the fact that each individual unit you can control the temperature because that is important. The only people I met were the people who showed us around and the front desk and they were very, very nice; no problem.

Gail16 December 28, 2013

I was given a tour at Emeritus. The staff seemed helpful. I saw some of the rooms. They were very comfortable and well kept. They had a small kitchenette with a microwave. The rooms would have been affordable, but nothing was affordable there.

Carmen8 August 26, 2013

On our way to Emeritus, I had an accident and I was dirty by the time I got there. So they took my clothes, sent me to the bathroom and gave me a soap to clean myself up. While I was in the bathroom, they also took care of my husband who has Alzheimer's. They also washed my clothes for me. We were not yet residents there but they were wonderful helping us. Our visit was wonderful. Emeritus was beautiful, nice and clean. The staff was excellent and I was very impressed with them. The apartments were very nice and spacious. They had a nice bathroom, bed and closets. They have every kind of activities you can think of. People would come in and do exercise. Emeritus is our first choice and I would absolutely recommend this facility but not before we get in there.

Steven3 July 29, 2013

Emeritus at Wayne was a very nice and organized facility Their dining room was really nice. They have any possibility that you might want. There were lots of activities going on all the time. They had a library, they had meeting room and people were doing puzzles and other things. The only thing that I didn't like was the room was too small.

Peggy16 July 11, 2013

We found Emeritus at Wayne beautiful, but much more expensive. The staff was excellent. I never had any problems at all with them, we had a beautiful tour. It's a larger place and I would say they have more activities. The cordiality of the people and the knowledge of the staff are the best things about this facility. They were so kind to the people if they made a mistake like they didn't know where their room was, they guided them and took them back to their rooms.

Matt0115 November 28, 2012

I was very impressed by the level of dedication shown by the staff at this facility. They advertise themselves as one of the best communities of their kind, and this comes across in the level of comfort the employees ensure to both residents and visiting families, as well as the attention to detail shown by the administrators in planning the hospitality. I was immediately comfortable with my loved one living at this facility. The fact that they are pet friendly is a huge plus as well! Overall I can't see anyone being disappointed by the level of commitment offered by this community.

lovexjbiebeer June 23, 2012

There was a friendly staff and a very wide range of people there. My grandmother had made friends with many of the staff and residents. It is a very family oriented and happy place. The activities and the area is not ideal though. My grandmother tended to get bored. Yes, she was sick but no she was not brain dead or close to death. They should take into account the fact that these men and women are people and need to be entertained and cannot spend the entire day in their room and cannot live their lives in four walls. The food is good on my grandmothers standards.

condeck1 June 23, 2012

This facility was very good. The staff wazs amazingly helpful and friendly. I was amazed by how caring and loving the staff was towards these men and women they didn't even know that well. The place also has very good activities for the people living there. My grandmother can still enjoy her life even though she isn't in the best of health. This really pleases me. The atmosphere is very warm and happy and homey. I felt at home and that is a rare quality at a assisted living facility. Most feel like hospitals and medical centers, but this felt different. My grandmother is also served delicious food, which is a reuirement of my tough italian grandmother. Somehow she still remembers how she likes all of hedr food and if its not done to a T she will freak out. I appreciate the consideration, time, and efforts put towards each and every person living there by the staff. I highly recomend this place.

pat keith May 25, 2012

I need help taking care of my elderly father. This facility ended up our search and offered us all what was desired. This is a very good place to live. The staff members were also friendly. The apartment seemed to be comfortable and furnished with the things you'd need to live comfortably. There is a nice garden outside where people can walk around in the garden if they are able to or just go and sit on the swing or in their wheel chairs and associate with others. It is a kind of controlled environment, yet I didn't get the feeling that it was a confined space. The management is competent and residents are provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages them to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences. We toured the kitchen where the residents' meals are prepared. It seemed clean and inviting. During the tour I noticed that all of the residents seemed pretty upbeat, which wasn't what I was expecting while visiting. Overall, I would say that the facility is very nice.

solidsnake66 May 16, 2012

Every visit I have made to the Emeritus in Wayne NJ has left me concerned. I was not the one to put my great grandmother into the facility, but have gone to visit multiple times especially more recently.My great grandmother is in very bad condition and has fallen multiple times and is now suffering from Alzheimer as well. When every there is an issue with my great grandmother it takes at least 15-20 minutes to get a nurse.This concerns me more than anything because she can no longer take care of herself and wonder how long they take to get to her when none of my family is around to hound the staff for help.Outside of this issue the staff is friendly and the grounds are well kept and the rooms are always clean when I visit. I Worry greatly about my great grandmother and wish the staff was more attentive and ready to act when something happens.

You are welcome! April 28, 2012

This is a lovely facility. The rooms are very nice and cheery. The facility has a homey feeling to it. However, the care level is not what it should be. There are not enough staff/aides for the number of residents there. It also appears that the staff is not well-trained. Delivery of services is quite disorganized and many mistakes are being made. Many services are not delivered as promised. As in any facility, there are some staff members that are outstanding, and others who can't be bothered to do their job. Cleaning is somewhat haphazard in many areas. For those that need more assistance, the care is uneven.There are ample activities, seven days a week, from morning to evening available both onsite and out of the facility. Even when there are no planned activities, many of the residents are out of their rooms and socializing, giving the place a lively feel. The place is also pet-friendly. Emeritus at Wayneay be the best fit for people who are social, since residents are generally encouraged to be out of their rooms and to interact. I advise it to everyone.

From Brookdale Wayne

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Location of Brookdale Wayne