Canterbury on the Lake

5601 Hatchery Rd., Waterford, MI, 48329

Reviews of Canterbury on the Lake

Caring86064450 June 28, 2014

We've been to Canterbury on the Lake. It had 3 phases to it: senior living, assisted living, and nursing, so you won't have to be moved if you get really ill.

I've been there for my mother-in-law. My husband and I stopped by on a Sunday, and they didn't have anybody to take us through. I think the man who took us through acted like he didn't enjoy taking us through the facility. He wasn't enthusiastic, but he was polite enough, but it didn't seem like he was really into it. My sister's-in-law's grandmother stayed there till she died, so I know that it was a good facility.

It was clean. They had a lot of murals painted on the walls, and to me, if I was old, that would be confusing, but they might help seniors identify where they are. It seemed bright enough. They had a chapel that was very bright and nice.

Hunter01 June 05, 2014

auxillary help very good. nursing aid, physical therapy etc good...but nursing care was really poor/ my mother developed pneumonia and had a very hard time getting the lpn to take her temperature or even give her robitussin for her cough. (they had standard orders for it) When i complained about the nurse the Administrator t tried to tell me I was abusive and to take my mother out ....really again poor nursing

Caring76120350 December 13, 2013

My mother-in-law is at Canterbury-On-the-Lake. The facility is clean and they had a lot of activities. They had a beauty shop there and a gift store. They have a lot of senior activities that they could sign up for and go for the day. The staff are very nice too.

Sheila5 September 30, 2013

My aunt has just moved into Canterbury-on-the-Lake. She has only been there for about two weeks, but she has made friends already. She likes this place. She is excited because they have lots of activities, like parties, touch ball, a little putting competition, etc. She goes exercise everyday and goes down for meals everyday. I went to visit her there the other day and she's so happy with this place. The grounds are so pretty. They're well kept. It is a large place. They have independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing care and a rehab area. However, because the place is big, it's so hard to find your way there.

Anonymous3493 August 15, 2013

We had a very nice experience when we visited Canterbury-on-the-Lake for my parents. I liked the area surrounding this community. It was very open. When we were there, there weren't any activities going on at that time. However, they were setting up for the night. They were doing a casino night. They explained to us that residents would earn chips by participating in stuff and doing different things. It was really interesting. This community has independent and assisted living facilities. Both facilities were very nice, although getting from one area to another was a little confusing. Overall, the Canterbury-on-the-Lake is a very nice place for my parents.

Ammalyn June 15, 2013

My friend had a hip replacement she stayed at Canterbury on the Lake. I visited her there several times. The staff seemed professional and very friendly. It was quite an excellent facility. It was completely clean.

Nanabanana73 April 14, 2012

My Great Aunt moved into Canterbury On The Lake about three years ago. She moved there from another facility when they had an opening available for her. Canterbury has been great so far. They always have different activities going on, the staff members I've met have all been really friendly and attentive, and they all know her by name, which means a lot to me. The facility always looks very clean and inviting. There is also a salon on site, so the residents can still look their best without having to go too far. The bedrooms are a bit small as most residents have to share the room with another person, but they are still comfortable and have a large window with a good view. The menu seems good and they offer a lot of different food options, so the residents actually get a choice of what they want to eat every day. All in all, I'd say Canterbury On The Lake has been an excellent place for my loved one. She really feels at home there now, and she's made many great friends. It's a comfort to know that she's being well taken care of, so we don't have to worry about her so much.

Hemmings January 28, 2012

Canterbury on the Lake is a fantastic facility. They have a great community of staff who truly care about their residents. They have an assortment of fun activities for the seniors to take part in, including bingo, arts and crafts, and occasional "field trips" for those able to go. The most fantastic part about this community is that it has different "steps." Seniors can enter into the senior living community, and when it becomes time, move into the assisted living community, housed in the same building. Finally, the building also houses a wonderful nursing home with a very dedicated staff for when residents must enter it. The best part is that residents are able to maintain long term relationships with the people around them, as all programs are housed in the same building, just in different wings. The exterior is also very beautiful, with a pond and fantastic landscape where residents can enjoy themselves when the weather allows. Overall, I was very happy with the quality of this community.

AnonymousDD June 13, 2011

Visited this facility

After nearly five years of being in-home caregivers my wife and I knew it was time to place her mother into a nursing home. This was not an easy transition and we felt a sense of urgency since her Alzheimers condition was advancing. We were very impressed with curriculum of this healthcare facility and provided a tour by the Admissions Manager. We were taken by elevator to the floor where Alzheimers patients were cared for and found many in wheelchairs in the hallway. Here the patients were able to socialize with one another as part of their daily activities. They all seemed to be well taken care of and we received many smiles as we toured that floor of the nursing home. The only drawback of the facility is that there was a waiting list. Being pressed for a more immediate placement we had to look elsewhere for a nursing home location.

From Canterbury on the Lake

Canterbury is a retirement community unlike any other, offering three different levels of care under one roof: Independent Senior Living Apartments, Assisted Living Apartments and our Health Center, which offers short-term rehabilitation and long-term care nursing. All three levels of care have access to the Medicare certified skilled care rehab center.

Assisted Living

The Leas is designed to ensure the highest level of independence for each resident's functioning level. The Leas also offers gathering places and lounges, a restaurant-style dining room, worship opportunities in St. Luke's Chapel, outings, and a full activities schedule, including music therapy, crafts, and gardening.

With 24-hour staffing, medication reminders and assistance with daily living activities, residents and their families are assured of safety, comfort, and dignity.

It is truly the staff--so warm and caring--that distinguishes Canterbury from other communities.

Residents at the Leas Assisted Living enjoy:
  • Weekly housekeeping
  • Weekly laundry and linen change
  • Personal care team 24 hours a day
  • 24-hour wireless emergency alert system
  • Onsite clinic with a nurse to coordinate care
  • Scheduled transportation
  • Enriching recreational, spiritual and activity programs

Transportation is provided for residents to go to the bank, grocery stores, retail stores and even special trips to places of interest, such as Tiger games, casinos and museums. Personal trips can be scheduled including doctors' visits, family get-togethers or even service to the airport.

With the amount of activities, residents at Canterbury are never bored. Many who reside here find hobbies that they never knew they had. Some notable activities include crafts, swimming, computers, Wii sports, bingo and many more.

Independent residents enjoy:

• Studio, one-bedroom, one-bedroom with den, and two-bedroom apartments
  • Full kitchens
  • Washer and dryer in every apartment
  • Flexible dining options
  • All utilities (except phone)
  • Direct TV
  • Wireless internet available
  • 24-hour emergency alert systems
  • Housekeeping every other week
  • Scheduled transportation
  • Apartment and grounds maintenance

We have exercise classes every day for various fitness levels -- something for everyone! Strength and Balance, Low-Impact Aerobics, Walking Clubs and Yoga.

Canterbury prides itself on having a true home-like environment, where friends and neighbors gather. The spirit and atmosphere truly have earned Canterbury the reputation as a warm and comfortable place to live.

Features of Canterbury on the Lake

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Psychiatric care

• Housing extra: Two bedroom apts. are for IL only

• Golf
  • Hiking trails
  • Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Arts, woodworking, craft