Brookdale Echelon Lake

207 Laurel Rd., Voorhees, NJ, 08043

Reviews of Brookdale Echelon Lake

Caring101457050 January 18, 2015

I thought Brookdale was very nice. I didn't spend a lot of time waiting. It is an older facility, but I must say I feel that the people looked like they were cared for. I thought it was well run. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but from my impression, it is certainly something I am considering. The staff was very accommodating and professional. The physical plan of the place is older, but it didn't bother me. What I am focused about is the care provided.

Caring97922250 December 12, 2014

I thought Brookdale Echelon Lake had cheaper rent, but they had a one year waiting list. It's a little dated, and for the price of the room, I think it was small. They overlooked the lake, and it would be nice in the summer so that you could sit on the porch. It was right behind a major mall, but not close to any doctors, and I don't know if for any appointments they'll take you to your doctor. They had a library with a computer, which is good to stimulate people with a public computer to use. The rooms were a bit smaller than what my dad has now, and the rent was cheaper, but then for everything else, they charge more for their level of care. The rent was cheap, but if the level of care was higher, it would come out higher.

Caring99972750 October 07, 2014

The surroundings at Brookdale Echelon are not that gorgeous, but the care they provided was very nice. All the caregivers were very nice. For me, they have two advantages -- one is that they have 40 memory unit beds. When we went there, we saw there was much more socialization among the patients. They were talking and sitting with one another. They have someone who comes in several times a week for various activities for games. There were plenty of things for the assisted living, but not so much for the memory patients. The memory care patients could go out if their family would take them out, which we do all the time for my mother-in-law living in the facility. This is the facility that I would recommend for any memory patient. The other reason why we took her there is that they take Medicare.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our community. Your feedback is always considered and appreciated!

Colleen13 May 20, 2014

I was searching for an assisted living to relocate my 89 y.o. Mom to New Jersey. The facility was nice;everyone there appeared to be committed to their jobs. I was happy to see people out of their rooms & participating in activities. The location was great. I simply did not choose it for my Mom because she is a little more independent than most of the residents appeared to be there.

Dottie2 April 11, 2014

The staff are wonderful at Emeritus at Echelon Lake. Everybody is on a first name basis and they interact with everyone. They exactly know where their residents are. When we walk in, my husband and I, they will tell me exactly where my father-in-law is. They have a library, they have a barber/hairdresser shop so that he can get his hair cut. He plays penny poker and he goes to all the events. The place has lots of windows and sunshine. The people were very nice. They treat everyone like a friend and not just a resident. They also clean his room every day. This facility is very, very beautiful place. Their dining room is absolutely beautiful.

trish3 March 24, 2014

Had been working with another facility for 4 months, only to find out my mom did not have enough money. Now we are under pressure to find one she can get into and is nice. I made my husband tag along as we looked at 3 homes. By the end of the day I was quite confused. The good part is Renate at Echelon lake, She is the energizer bunny. She is kind, compassionate ,and an amazing sales person. We took the tour and noticed every one spoke to us. The rooms are the smallest we have seen but that is not as important as the kindness of the people in the facility. I took mom back a few days later for her to look around. She was a total grump but that didn't matter, renate doted on her and she finally came around. Renate gave her flowers and the staff provided a good lunch. We toured again and stopped to watch an Irish program in progress We noticed that the residents seemed happy and were participating in the program. Mom has not yet been excepted to the home We are waiting for a room to be available.

Caring11082 February 28, 2014

Emeritus at Echelon Lake was in my top three list of facilities. I liked the location because it was accessible. It was across a shopping mall so even without transportation, my sister could go shopping. The facility was a little outdated but it was not terrible. The rooms were clean, comfortable and neat. There were also activities available for the residents. It was a short visit and there were no available rooms at the time, and I needed to take my sister somewhere quickly.

Margie4 February 14, 2014

Emeritus at Echelon Lake was okay. The place was not as clean and pleasant. The place was not as clean and pleasant. The rooms were not as nice. They didn’t seem as nearly friendly and accommodating. People were waiting outside in the dining room to eat. It just didn’t have a nice feel to it. But, they just require a yearly pay and they're going to Medicaid. We may have to consider it for my mother in law at some point. It felt safe.

Kathy82591850 January 07, 2014

We looked for a place for my mother-in-law and we visited Emeritus at Echelon Lake. The place was clean, seemed well-organized and well-taken care. The staff seemed very nice and respectful of what you wanted or did not want. They also talked about what you thought you would want and asked a lot of questions about what led us to go there. They also invited us back which was very nice of them. The rooms were smaller then her own place, but other than that, it was a good place. There were a lot of activities and trips for those who were able to do so.

Alan6 December 13, 2013

Emeritus is small and intimate. It's right across the street from a shopping center which makes it very convenient. The dining room was large and friendly. There seemed to be enough choices of food. It was a Sunday when I went so the staff was very light. The handful of people that I did meet was nice people. There was a fellow who I spoke with, they left him in charge and he was manning the front desk when I met him but he had to wait for the guard to come back from his lunch and he was torn in 15 separate directions because everybody wanted and needed something but he was friendly and accommodating enough. When I was there, there really wasn't a whole lot going on. I caught them at lunch and because of that and being on a weekend, the amount of organized activities was a lot less.

Caring73067550 November 22, 2013

The person I'm assisting moved in to Emeritus at Echelon Lake about two and a half weeks ago. I'm not a relative of this person and I'm just a volunteer for a non-profit organization that assists her finances. She has no family at all so I took over these type of responsibilities. The primary reason why we chose Emeritus for her firstly was financial. They only require one-year of financial asset.

Secondly, when her assets run out, she can apply for Medicaid. Many institutions tell you that they are Medicaid-approved but they'll only have one or three beds to fill that requirement. Echelon has significantly more than that. I want to be sure that when this person's assets run out that she isn't going to be thrown out on the street. So here, I'm confident that we're fine with the Medicaid.

Thirdly, and most importantly, I genuinely find the people that work there, from the management all the way down, to be most caring and considerate of their residents. They're also forthcoming. Everybody says that but not everybody does that. For me what stands out in this facility is its people. They're genuinely different in terms of their attitude and forthrightness. They seek out things to do for you. They would even call me from time to time if certain issues have popped up. They show genuine care about this person's medications or needs. It's the people that make the difference.

The person I'm helping has a very nice room. It is not large, although she has a lovely window that overlooks the lake. She has her own bathroom. It is a nice-sized bathroom with a walk-in shower. She has her meals centrally with the rest of the people there. I've eaten there just to try the food and I find it quite nice. Their service is also good in the kitchen. There is a lake there and a walking path in front of it that she thoroughly enjoys.

They do have activities there, but they're limited. They have variety of classes, games, lectures and that sort of things from time to time. They have exercise classes for their residents. They have a beauty parlor right there in the facility at a very reasonable cost. They even have a rehab facility that is professionally manned three to four times a week.

Philip5 October 15, 2013

Emeritus was nice. It had a different building layout from the one that my mom is now, but they had comfortable rooms.

Valarie1 August 25, 2013

Honestly, when I walked in the door, the first thing I noticed was the smell. It had an odor and they tried to mask it with deodorizer, which made it smell worse. The patients seemed sad. Even though I smiled and greeted them, not one of them smiled. I didn't see any activities going on and I didn't like the dining hall. The only thing that I liked about it was the room. It had a nice size and you had more room where you could make a nice layout.

Mom's daughter1 May 10, 2012

This facility is afforable and the staff is helpful. My Mom lives there since last year and seems to like it very much.

The surroundings are lovely, with a lake at the rear.

The staff keeps the place clean at all times.

There were some problems with laundry missing and not returned and that is why I have given it a neutral rating.

Caring5012 February 29, 2012

I am in the process of getting my mom moved into this facility. I toured and researched 8 facilities before deciding on Emeritus at Echelon Lake. I really like the activities, The memory care unit, and the affordable pricing.

Caring445961 September 25, 2011

My mother moved into Emeritus today. All the staff were helpful and willing to help. The administrators were very helpful and understanding while we dealt with an uncooperative physician. The residents that I met were also very friendly and spoke highly of living at Emeritus. It was a good first day!

vinelandboi June 30, 2011

My Uncle lives at this facility. I have other family members who reside at other facilities in the area, but this facility doesn't match up to the other facilities. The staff is great and have a deep care for the residents, but the building is a multi-level building. The structure itself from the outside looks more like a cheap motel than an assisted living facility. Inside, there is paint peeling from the walls and water stains stain the ceiling is a few areas. They offer a lot of activities for the residents and some pf them will take advantage of that, but it seems that most of the residents prefer to stay in their rooms and to themselves. They could do better.

From Brookdale Echelon Lake

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Location of Brookdale Echelon Lake