The Gardens of Virginia Beach

5620 Wesleyan Drive, Virginia Beach, VA, 23455

Reviews of The Gardens of Virginia Beach

Chester2 May 24, 2015

We were treated very nicely, and they showed me a couple of their facilities at The Gardens. They showed me apartments, and they took me down to the dining area on the ground floor. The room that they showed me up on the second floor was very neat and small. The dining room was very large and would serve a quite a few people. It was a clean and well kept place. The staff was very available and very responsive.

Anonymous105879250 April 28, 2015

My mother-in-law is at The Gardens. Most of the places we went to see are $4,000 a month; this is less than that, and it is really clean. The staff is excellent. She has a studio apartment which is big enough for a bed and two chairs, but she does not have to be in the room all the time because they have activities. They have a library, and they can do all kinds of things. The room size does not really matter.

Hello Anonymous105879250 - Thank you very much for the great review. We do our best to make our community enjoyable for all of our residents. Whether a resident likes to be physically active, or is more social, or maybe is the intellectual type, we have activities and programs that they can all look forward to. I’m glad that you and your mother-in-law appreciate this. We are always open to suggestions from our residents and families about activities and often add them to our already busy activity calendar. Please feel free to contact me or any of our activity staff if you have any thoughts. David Dybel, Executive Director.

Caring96837650 November 03, 2014

The Gardens of Virginia was a nice place. To me it was a little pricey, but it was newer. We met with the director who was very informative and helpful, but it didn’t offer a lot of things like the other facility I went to. You have to provide your own furniture, so when you started out it was a little more expensive. Location and price was one of my issues. It was a little farther from where I live, and it was a little more expensive. It was not in the price range that I was looking for. If everything matched, it would have been a very nice place.

Susan88225550 August 27, 2014

The Gardens is beautiful. If I have to go assisted living, I think I would want to go there, but I’m not sure I can afford that either. They just renovated and redecorated all of their common areas. They have a beautiful dining room and I thought the food was delicious. We had lunch when we went for a meeting and the dining room is run by waitresses and waiters. They have a number of different choices and I would have been able to follow my diabetic diet very easily by picking the things that I wanted. You can order what you want when you walk into the dining room and sit down just like you do in the restaurants. I thought the food was delicious, but I did read online that the food was horrible so I don’t know where they ate. They must have eaten off the floor or something because I thought it was served beautifully and tasted great.

I was very impressed with the place. The rooms are very small and the apartments are really just rooms, but their bathrooms were great. None of them had tubs -- they were all rolling showers that were big with lot of poles in to pull yourself up. They also had a seat that was built into the tubs, too. It also doubled as a shower and the bathroom was huge so I can use my wheelchair easily. The common areas and the rooms were decorated very nicely as far as paint. If you don’t want to be in your room all day, you could go out and be with other people. If I had had the money at that time and I saw that I could afford to be there indefinitely, that’s where I would have chosen to go.

Dear Susan88225550 – Thank you for you kind remarks. I am glad that you had a great experience with us. I am looking forward to sharing your review with our staff. They truly appreciate being acknowledged for a job well done.

Also, I understand how you may feel about the expense associated with living in a senior community. Many of our guests, families, and residents have felt at one point or another that moving into assisted living is more expensive than they had hoped. After talking with our current residents and families, and with the help of our sales staff, many people find that there are some options available to make a stay in assisted living more affordable. Please contact me or our sales counselor and we will be glad to share some information with you. Our phone number is 757-499-4800,

Sincerely, David Dybel, Executive Director

Caring92271350 August 13, 2014

The Gardens of Virginia Beach was a nice facility, but I was not overly impressed with the staff. I just didn't feel that they really had a lot of the compassion that is needed to treat an Alzheimer's patient. To them it was more of a job, and you can't take care of an Alzheimer's patient with that attitude. I thought the facility was very attractive and very homey -- especially how it was arranged. I thought it was a bit pricey for a facility that was kind of old, but other than that it was okay. When I went they were having dinner, so I got a taste of what they were serving. The food looked very nutritious.

Hello Caring92271350 – Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. We enjoy hearing from our families and visitors. Your opinions are very important to us.

I am very sorry about the impression that you received from our staff. Our staff receives ongoing training to help them engage our residents with dementia. As part of our award winning Bridge To Rediscovery Program, all of our team members who work with our residents with dementia testify that they are committed to our residents and to deliver to them the quality of life that they deserve. Just to be sure we are meeting that expectation; I will add dementia related topics to our monthly team member training for the next few months. I hope you notice a difference on your next visit.

Thank you very much for your compliments regarding our appetizing and nutritious meals. As you may know from your visit, we are enhancing our menu with recipes and tips from world renowned Chef Brad Miller. You can see some of what he is doing to help us by searching for him on YouTube. I am also happy to report that we are within a month of being completed with our renovations. With the renovations, we expect to continue the attractive and homey feel that our community offers while updating the outdated appearance.

I would love hearing any updates or other comments you may have. Feel free to contact me.

Sincerely, David Dybel, Executive Director.

Caring86822050 June 30, 2014

The Gardens smells great when you walk in there. Price-wise, it is the best among the places I’ve seen. I like the way the rooms look. My sister has a mid-size room. She’s basically staying in bed, and she doesn’t participate in the activities. I’ve walked in there two times, and I saw a gentleman singing to a group in the lobby. A bus takes the residents to local botanical garden and places like that. They also play bingo at night, but she doesn’t want to do that. The director said they have a chef on staff, so the food is really good, but my sister says the food is horrendous and she can’t eat it.

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear about your sister's impression of the food we serve to our residents. At The Gardens, all of our managers have an open door policy. I encourage all of our residents and family members to visit with us if they are dissatisfied with any part of our service. I hope this helps and I look forward to having you join us for a meal and hearing another review from you soon.

Sincerely,

David Dybel, Executive Director, The Gardens of Virginia Beach

Caring Friend4 June 30, 2014

The Gardens of Virginia Beach allowed pets in their facility and that was the main reason my friend chose it. It was also close to home and everybody she knew. The rooms could be bigger but it was spacious enough. I would recommend this place depending on the person's condition.

Caring3202 June 17, 2014

We moved my parents in at The Gardens of Virginia Beach. We chose this place for them for the facility itself, the staff, the activities available, their price ranges, and their location. The facility is on two levels. The rooms are an adequate size. The staff is friendly and attentive. They have quite a few activities. Also, the food is good.

Robin0138 June 17, 2014

My aunt is satisfied with The Gardens of Virginia Beach. It is a good place for her. The staff is very good. They're very professional and very caring. Also, my aunt seems to like the food there.

Danielle3 January 24, 2014

The staff at The Gardens of Virginia Beach was great, the rooms were nice, their facilities were really nice, and it seemed like they care of their residents. They've been very accommodating and helpful. I have nothing, but great things to say about them so far. The staff and the director were very forthcoming and they followed up with us. They have everything in terms of activities like you could get your hair done and they have group activities and day outings for their residents.

Caring74858750 January 24, 2014

It was a little better. It was nice in practically every respect. The rooms were good. The staff was very good and professional.

Caring Friend3 December 30, 2013

Natasha2 August 19, 2013

I visited The Gardens and it was a beautiful place. It was nicely furnished and very clean. The staff seemed to be very good. They had a lot of activities. They had exercises. They were singing. They got very good food and they had their own menu and the residents could pick what they wanted and the dining room was nice.

David33 July 31, 2013

The Gardens of Virginia Beach is just down the street. My wife and I toured it and we're very happy and satisfied with it. She and I won't have to travel far to see my dad.

The staff was very helpful. They didn't just wait for me to ask questions but I could tell from the conversation that they were looking for questions I might ask.

We saw 3 different rooms. One room was big for what we were looking for. The smaller one was too small. But the middle one was just right and cozy.

The most alluring feature of this facility is the general accessibility and the atmosphere of the whole place. I would absolutely recommend them to others.

Rich2 July 29, 2013

The Gardens of Virginia Beach is in pretty good shape. Price wise, I think they are a bit high and it can use some overhead lighting and improvement on paint. But it is a nice facility and the food is good. My mom eats it.

Emily3 April 14, 2013

I love The Gardens of Virginia Beach. I aspire to go there myself someday. It's very nice. It seemed well-staffed and the people are cheerful and had a good attitude. The gentleman who gave me the tour was very nice. I really like the fact that you could have a beer or a glass of wine with your dinner. But what really impressed me was when I first walked in, everybody was gathered in their little common area and everybody was cheerful. It just had a good atmosphere. They had a little store there where you could buy stuff. They did say that you could provide your own refrigerator and microwave, which is good. But it seem like a sink would be good, too.

Caring 7667 March 28, 2013

The facilities at Gardens of Virginia Beach were clean. I had lunch there and the food was very good. The rooms were clean and there were no smells. They took care of everything. The staff was very friendly, cooperative and answered the questions I had.

stevie1779 November 20, 2012

My visit to the Gardens at Virginia Beach was only roughly 2-3 hours long, but I could tell from my time there that the residents enjoyed there time living there. The staff was top-notch, attentive and friendly. My time there was spent mostly in the gameroom playing games with the residents who lived there, but I also was able to take a quick tour of the facilities and I was impressed. When most people think of putting their friends and relatives in a home, they think of bleak and dreary things. this was not the case here, and the majority of the residents seemed to enjoy their time there. We also were able to have lunch there, and I thought that the meal facilities were more than adaquate, very clean, and even had personal space ( they had little side rooms off the main dining hall to have a personal meal if you didnt feel like eating with a big group). It was nothing like i had imagined.

MarcAnthony February 01, 2012

Brighton Gardens in Virginia Beach is one of the nicest communities for elderly to live. It is located in a very nice area and not too far from the ocean either. Trained staff is available 24 hours a day to serve residents; including weekly laundry, daily trash removal, meals made from natural ingredients three times a day with master chef in the kitchen. What I liked most was ability for residents to interact with one another in a family atmosphere created by staff. Residents have individual rooms with fireproof doors, cable, individual phone line and fully furnished room. Residents usually hang out in the living room but they spend lot of time in game room where they enjoy watching classical films, listening to jukebox, eating popcorn and playing board games. Residents living at Brighton Gardens will not get bored easily because they are one big family celebrating holidays together and going to field trips organized by activities coordinator. It is quite expensive to live there but it is one of the best residential places in the area.

From The Gardens of Virginia Beach

The Gardens of Virginia Beach offers compassionate senior care in Virginia Beach, VA. We strive to create a home-like atmosphere where you and your loved ones can feel secure. Our warm, well-trained staff works closely with our residents to provide the utmost care and comfort. As part of the Five Star corporation, you can be sure that everyone at The Gardens of Virginia Beach shares the Five Star Values, and is committed to a high level of caring in all that they do. Please schedule a visit to see why we are the first choice in senior care in Virginia Beach, VA.

Our residents enjoy “All Day Dining”. The Dining room is open from 7 am to 6pm. We offer two signature dishes per meal, however residents can always order from the Deli, the Grill, or simply ask for soup and salad. Our Memory Care is an Award Winning Memory Care. We have received Awards for our Butler Style Dining as well as our Montessori Activities Program!

Features of The Gardens of Virginia Beach