Brookdale Northdale

3401 West Bearss Ave., Tampa, FL, 33618

Reviews of Brookdale Northdale

Caring105870550 February 10, 2015

I choose Emeritus of Northdale (Brookdale Northdale) for my father because I like the cleanliness, the activities, and the staff to patient ratio. I think the staff is pretty knowledgeable in their field. They are very friendly with the residents. The private rooms are very large. They are big enough to accommodate a sitting area in addition to a bedroom area. It is one room that you can divide, one side with a love seat, a chair, and TV, and it is big enough to put a bed and a dresser in. It is almost like a studio apartment. They do have outings for residents that are capable of going. They will take a bus, and they will drop them of like in a mall or Walmart, but there are also residents there that cannot go out unsupervised. So, they actually have groups that are supervised as well, and some are unsupervised.

I think the most important thing is that even though these people need assistance, it allows them to be able to recognize and keep their independence with minimal supervision as far as allowing them to get up when they want to and eat pretty much when they want to. They have certain time period that these people have to eat, but it is not like a hospital setting. They go to the dining room, and they have separate dining room. If you want to have a private party. If you have a family member's birthday and you want to bring in several family members, they have a separate dining room like a sitting area with couches and a TV. I think it gives them the opportunity to still maintain their independence, although they are in a supervised environment. If they want to eat in their room, they certainly can. However, from what I observe, the residents enjoy going to dinner because they meet with other residents and family members. They even let family members spend the night or even spend the whole weekend.

Paula43 January 15, 2015

I moved my husband to Emeritus. It was a secured facility for Alzheimer's patients. He had a private room. They told me that they would made sure that he would get out his room and that they would make sure that he got into activities; however, they didn't get him out of his room. He stayed in his room. While he was there, he got scabies. It was a very clean facility, but he still got scabies there, and it took them three or four months to get it cleared up. He didn't get much attention at Emeritus. They were supposed to give him physical therapy, and they said they would give us a report every two weeks, but I never got one.

We deeply regret that we were unable to meet all of your expectations. We want to thank you for taking the time to visit and for providing feedback. Please know it will be reviewed and used to better serve our residents and their families in the future.

Caring97387150 November 22, 2014

I like the location of Emeritus; it was convenient for me. Everyone was very professional, and they conducted themselves very appropriately and very helpfully. They were very clean, very organized, and they seemed very efficient. I think everything looked very good. I had no issues with the size of the room.

Terri21 August 15, 2014

Emeritus at Northdale was my least favorite. I just felt like all the residents were parked in front of a TV in the common area and you didn't see a lot of staff. There wasn't a lot of interaction either. I felt the rooms were small. The dining room looked pretty and nice, but I don't know about the food. When they took me on a tour, there were boxes stacked in the hallways and I just didn't like that. The hallways are used by the residents; that's not where the boxes should be.

Caring88346050 August 06, 2014

I didn't care for Emeritus at Northdale. The staff was pleasant and they were not obtrusive by any means. The people who were wheeling around in wheelchairs -- I don't know if it was their physical conditions that were causing it -- but it didn't look like they were particularly happy. I don't know whether they had been abandoned or what. They may have had personal issues; I couldn't tell. In one of the corridors, there was the dirty, stinking odor of urine -- that was a definite turn-off. It brought to mind the idea of nursing homes from the '60s. The rooms were like very small motels. The tablecloths were dirty; they had stains all over them and they were supposed to be clean. It was not like somebody had just finished eating there. Those were stains, so you could tell that they were from a long time ago. I wouldn't recommend it, but I am sure that other people would be happy with the facility if it were something they are looking for. The young woman who took us around was very pleasant, very sweet, and very effervescent. She was very excited about the facility and everything. Very, very nice. I couldn't complain about her at all. She was very good. It was like going into one of the inner-city art classrooms where they don't have enough supplies and are disorganized. It didn't look terribly professional; it did not look enticing.

Caring1331 July 30, 2014

For someone who would qualify, Emeritus at Northdale would be a very nice place. For people who are still functional, that would be a great place to go to. They take them out, they display the food for the day, and it looks lovely. They were like a hotel. I was hoping my sister would be able to go there, but she did not quality.

LovelyLady000017 June 28, 2014

Emeritus at Northdale was actually my favorite. The people I met there seemed very qualified, and I liked all their rooms. Everything about it was excellent. If I could put my parents there, that is where I would put them. I liked everything about it - the staff, just the whole atmosphere of the facility, the cleanliness, and the activities they had going on. It just seemed like a really great place.

Barb18 June 26, 2014

Emeritus was very nice. The place was very beautiful. We had a meal with them, and their food was wonderful. The had different menus in the dining room. Their rooms were really spacious. However, it was really expensive because it had community fees and everything else added on, even if you don't consider any level of care. The staff was fine, except some of the staff was just learning English, and I thought it made it a little hard for the older people, but they were very helpful. They had a lot of activities. They went into town for movie nights and museums. They even went to some of the attractions around, like the zoo, the library, and the aquarium. They were near medical facilities, and they were not too far from the VA. So its location was great, too.

Caring86730550 June 23, 2014

Emeritus felt clinical and more like a hospital than a hotel. It also has more seniors that are in wheelchairs. I was not impressed with it at all. The staff was very nice, though. The accommodations were OK, but it wasn’t great. They have activities and a bus that takes them to dinner.

Margaret33 January 31, 2014

My dad moved in at Emeritus last November. We chose this facility mainly because it appealed to my father and it seemed to be a comfortable fit for him. The way that the facility was set up was more like a home environment. It wasn't like a hotel or a hospital or like an old-fashioned assisted living facility that you normally see. It's like a home when you walk in there's a living room that bounces off into other areas. It also smells like a home and it just has a nice ambience. The staff is nice. Everybody is friendly and seems to be very patient. They answer your questions and not just try to blot you out. They all seem to be very helpful and efficient. With regards to food, they have a nice varied diet there. There's a lot of variety and everything seems to be cooked nicely. They're healthy, balanced and good food.

Caring75426950 January 31, 2014

Emeritus at Northdale seemed like a really nice place. It's a clean facility. It has everything you need. They did have nurses there on-staff and doctors would come on-site. Their rooms were nice. There were lots of activities going on. It's a good place if your parents need care and you can't give it to them. Unfortunately, it's not something that we can afford.

Caring73596850 November 22, 2013

I visited Emeritus and the place was nice. They had lots of activities. The food looked good. The rooms were big. However, I didn't get along with the staff.

Janice16 August 28, 2013

I just looked at a room at Emeritus at Northdale and I was a little bit disappointed because the man that would be sharing the room with my father was on a filthy dirty mattress. It was moldy although the staff were friendly. I didn't saw any activities when I went there.

Barbara45 July 11, 2013

Emeritus at Northdale was quite tight and wasn't as open as the other facility we visited, but everybody there seemed to be very happy as well. They all seemed confident that things were under control. I wouldn't hesitate for my mom to live there, if that time came. I didn't see anything that wasn't good or clean. Both places were very nice.

Vic1 May 16, 2013

Emeritus seemed very well organized. The staff seemed to be very friendly. We saw general open areas, and we saw people having lunch. I also went inside their memory unit. The place seemed nice.

Familyofresident January 30, 2013

we have repeatedly been let down by this facility. They do not do what they promise. Our family member was dropped off alone at a medical facility without our knowledge. They make apologies for their numerous mistakes and accept responsibility but do nothing to change their care.

Turbo July 24, 2012

the nurses at the facility seemed to do a pretty good job helping my grandfather. he was bedridden for the most part at this point so he could not move much but they did assist him a lot with getting him around in the place. I really liked the fact they also assisted him with meals and he got to eat things that was at least decent in smell and not just some nasty looking hospital food. My grandfather seemed to like it there for what they did do for him while he was at the place.

Ralph Giordano February 18, 2012

The staff was friendly, knowledgeable, courteous, prompt, and efficient in answering our many questions during multiple visits by several family members. Dad was "treated like royalty" on his visit and lunch. He observed an active, congenial group of residents engaged in a variety of activities and loved the special attention to detail during lunch and in the presentation of his prospective room at Emeritus on Bearss Ave in Tampa. The room was freshly carpeted, painted in new tutone style, and will meet his needs for years to come. The no pressure approach won him over along with the resort style environment and reasonably priced room rents and care charges.

Beth Hagman December 15, 2011

Everyone has been very friendly and accommodating. They have made the transition for my mother as easy as possible.

From Brookdale Northdale

Our Family is Committed to Yours.®

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #9500

Features of Brookdale Northdale

• Technology extra: Emergency Call System

• Physical therapy
  • Hospice care

• Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition

• Staff patient ratio: depends on care needed
  • We offer respite care (short term stays)

• Licenses: ALF
  • State License(s): 9500

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Brookdale Northdale