Horizon Bay Tamarac

7650 University Drive, Tamarac, FL, 33321

Reviews of Horizon Bay Tamarac

Caring113769550 July 13, 2015

They were lovely. They had so many activities -- it was unbelievable. We had dinner there, and it was the best food we had in any of the ones we visited. The staff was wonderful. I've nothing but nice things to stay about the staff. The service was wonderful in the dining room. Everyone in the staff was smiling and happy. Horizon Bay Tamarac was a very joyous place to be.

Caring110278150 June 30, 2015

Horizon Bay was a good place, absolutely better than the other place we visited. Not only did they have people that needed senior care, there were people that had apartments too. The rooms were beautiful and were of very good sizes, and they had nice bathrooms.

Caring107771050 June 28, 2015

My mother-in-law is at Horizon Bay. It is very good. She seems to be very happy there, and they seem to be on top of things. They have quite a few activities. I know she does arts and crafts and bingo. She goes to exercise classes. There’s another part where they have discussions to see how they’re doing, kind of like a support group. She’s never in her room ever, so she must love everything that’s going on there.

The staff is very friendly. As soon as you walk in, they seem to know who you belong to. You don’t smell the urine. It doesn’t seem like it’s like a place that you would just dump your loved one and forget about them. The décor is very uplifting. It’s almost like a hotel when you walk in.

They have dining from 7:30 in the morning till 6 at night. They get 3 meals a day. She’s had one meal that she didn’t like, and she has been there 3 months. The dining area looked welcoming; they had tablecloths on the tables. I was very impressed with the place.

Karen107488750 June 15, 2015

The marketing man at Horizon Bay was very well prepared and responsive to my questions. He took me on a thorough tour, and the facility appeared clean with a more homey setting. The rooms felt a little more institutional in terms of assisted living. When I was there, they weren't doing any activities, but I saw a setup for movie night with a popcorn machine, and I saw a room setup for chair exercises. I saw the dining area, but I have not eaten there. It is a more casual restaurant style. I like that it had a communal living room. I saw many residents relaxing and socializing in that room. I also like that they had a large screened in porch with rocking chairs for people to enjoy the fresh air. I would say that it could be a four for an individual, but I'm not sure a couple would be comfortable there. It was less comfortable for a couple because of the way the rooms were designed.

Caring78259150 May 27, 2015

Horizon Bay Tamarac was our favorite. They have one bedroom facilities. Everyone was very friendly, and the people seemed to be very happy living there. The facility is very bright and clean.

Anonymous107284850 May 25, 2015

Everybody was very friendly at Horizon Bay. The residents seemed happy. They were doing an exercise class while I was there. The rooms were bright and cheerful. They had a refrigerator and a microwave in each room.

anonymous100092050 January 13, 2015

My mother is in Horizon Bay, and it is very nice. I am satisfied with it. It is clean, the people are nice, and the food is good. There is nothing that I can complain about it. They do medication management up to complete assistance.

Alberto1 December 30, 2014

Horizon Bay looked very clean. I visited this place for my mom. The people were friendly. The lobby was a little bit crowded though. However, the way they furnished the apartments were really good and that was attractive for us. Having the facility provide the furniture, it was a big feature for use. The personnel were very friendly and open. They showed me the activities they have in store. They have crafts and clays. They have a place where they can watch movies and everything was really well set up. The dining area looked excellent. I didn't have a chance to eat but I saw what they were serving and people were enjoying it. It looked like you're walking into Olive Garden, so it was really nice. The choices that they have for food were really appealing.

Greg21 December 26, 2014

I visited Horizon Bay in Tamarac for my mom. They were incredible. They had an apartment ready for the residents. It was just that at the last minute my mom got sick. We were ready to move in. Food was good. And what was nice about that, they were open from 8 am to 6 pm and they could go eat anytime they wanted to. What I like best about this facility was that it didn't seem like a nursing home. The people were very positive and very active. People would be very blessed to live there.

Sherry43 December 22, 2014

The first visit to Horizon Bay was good. But the second visit we had, I had some more specific questions about medical care. The person who was meeting with me, I didn't know if she was new or she just didn't have a lot of information, but she wasn't actually receptive to the questions. So I didn't really get a great feeling that second time around. But the rooms were very nice. It was a nice size apartment and was less expensive. I think they could improve on the care. They just didn't seem as receptive or immediately responsive at the medical or the care of the people living there.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us. Please be assured that we are passionately committed to serving our residents. Our goal is to provide an individualized plan of care to fit our residents' needs. We will share your feedback to help better serve our residents and their families in the future.

debbie3519 December 18, 2014

I like the environment at Horizon Bay Tamarac. A lot of their residents were engaged. They have a lot of activities. Right now, my father-in-law is not there because he is in a rehab facility, but he was in the men's club, and he was saying that they had poker. The neighborhood is OK, the place is clean, and the grounds are kept. Their rooms are closer to an apartment than just a room, and that made a big difference for me.

Caring97105850 November 22, 2014

Horizon Bay was very nice as far as how they had the dining set up and the rooms. It was clean and a little older. There’s not a lot of space outside to move around; they don’t have that large piece of property. There was security at the front desk; they had a therapy area. There was no pool and not a lot of outside patio area, so those were the things that were missing.

Cynthia32 November 11, 2014

My mother has some dementia, but my parents both have adjusted well at Horizon Bay. They have a 1-bedroom apartment. They have a 4-burner stove, a refrigerator, and a sink. There’s room for a table, and they have their living room and a bathroom. I’m there probably everyday or every other day and I have been very impressed with the caring of all of the staff. My parents are very happy with it.

I’ve eaten there a couple of times. The food is very good. The wait staff is excellent. On Saturday and Sunday nights, they have entertainment whether it’s a singer, piano player, or something. They have exercise class everyday. Sundays, they have painting class. They have town hall meetings, woman’s club, and veteran’s club.

Caring91102850 July 31, 2014

We went to Horizon Bay Tamarac for a visit. It was very clean and full of activities. They were playing mahjong and cards. They were also watching movies. Their pool was very nice. The guy who sat down with us was very informative. The residents looked happy and friendly. The rooms were spacious and it was equipped with a kitchenette. They had a dining room downstairs and it seemed very functional. Their dining had a restaurant setup.

Lore July 30, 2014

I like Horizon Bay very much. It was one of our choices. It was very nice and we liked it very much, it was just a little bit out of our affordability. We had a meal there and it was very nice. The servers were very friendly and happy. I like the whole atmosphere. I did like the place. I mean it was just a very nice facility. I would definitely recommend it. The only thing about the rooms there, they didn't have anything affordable. Even the studios were a little bit more out of our budget, but if you have extra money, it is definitely a very nice place.

Horizon is on the main Street, but you don't hear the traffic. It is also across the street from hospital, so it is convenient.

Ron30 July 19, 2014

My mother has been living at Horizon Bay for 6 years now. When she went in she was in independent living, but over the years she needed assistance. It was one of the nicer communities back then. It didn't look like a nursing home; some facilities look like that even if they're not. This looked like an active community, and it's affordable. The apartments are great. She's in a one bedroom. It's very nice. The staff that takes care of my mother is VERY good. I once ate there. The food is sometimes good and sometimes bad, but my mother is okay with that. They have all sorts of activities from exercises, going out to lunch, and shopping. However, it's been through a change of ownership, and different management. I don't care for the current administrator at all. She doesn't seem to be a friendly and outgoing person.

Caring20645850 June 30, 2014

I like the presentation and the cleanliness of Horizon Bay. It was a rich-looking place. It has a wonderful feeling when you walk in. The one staff I met was the sales person, and he was excellent. He was very presentable, amenable, open, and honest. The apartments were very nice. The rooms were excellent, except they had no walk-in closets, and that makes a big difference. They seemed to have the normal types of activities. My mother could get her meals in her room at Horizon Bay.

Caring84268450 May 20, 2014

We visited Horizon Bay. That was a lovely community. Very, very nice. The staff was very, very good. They had an exercise group. They had discussions. We saw the room, the dining room, and some of the activity rooms.

Amanda175 February 23, 2014

My mother lived there a few months ago. DO NOT put anyone you love there. VERY DANGEROUs to do so. They completely ran out of my mother's medications - all 8 of them!! I called them on a Thursday & told them I would be there on Fri. night to take her out for dinner with her friends who were in FL & to have her meds. ready, as she would be staying overnight with me. I couldn't believe that when I got there, about 6:30 PM, they said that they were out of all of her medications! They said that that faxed the Dr. that afternoon about 2:30, & that he didn't get back to them. So instead of picking up the phone & calling the doctor's office, they just let it go. The head nurse left knowing this, & the nurse who was on duty at the time acted like she could care less. When I brought this to the attention of the manager of the place, Adam Ort, he could also care less - no apology from ANYONE. I even called Brookdale Communities main office - they never called me back. As you can see, they are only interested in the $$ here, not the welfare of their residents. I don't even know how many days my mother went w/o her meds, since she didn't have 1 pill left. I had to get on the phone & track down the on-call Dr, & run to the pharmacy to get her meds for her. Besides their negligence from my mother's medications, they ruined her evening that she had been looking forward to for a long time. The next day, I found out that they forgot to tell me about 2 other meds. that she needed, & I had to go thru the whole thing over again & track down the on-call dr. to get her prescription & run back to the pharmacy again. This is a disgrace - how many other people there are they doing this to??

Michelle37 October 28, 2013

I had lunch or dinner at Horizon Bay Tamarac and the food was very good. The place is very, very nice. The people there seemed very friendly and the staff seemed very gracious. It was a clean and well-kept facility and I really have no complains with them at all.

Stephanie15 October 09, 2013

Horizon Bay didn't feel homey. If I'm going to live in a place, I want to feel comfortable there. I just didn't get that feeling there. The rooms were not spacious enough but they were okay if only for one person.

Cara1 September 25, 2013

My mom moved at Horizon Bay Tamarac just last end of July. The place is really nice. The people there are very nice. The activity director knows everybody by names. They have lot of community events. She tries to make sure everybody is always busy. They have a great menu that they can choose from and they don't have time sitting. You can eat there whatever time you want. And also whenever a resident is hungry, they just call them up and they can take the food to the room or they can go down. Their chef has been there for almost 13 years. The facility is mostly independent living with some assistance like bathing. It cost me just a base price for her studio apartment and then I added on the beauty parlor. I gave them my credit card and what my mom has to do is go and sign. So whenever she wants a manicure or her hair done, she does not have to worry about money. She needs assistance bathing and they do go by and do nightly checks. There's also a hospital across the street which is great. I'm really happy with the place. It's clean. It's bright. They also have a welcoming committee whenever there is a new resident. They try to make the person feel at home because it's a major transition.

Ronnie1 September 20, 2013

When I went to Horizon Bay, I knew right away it was not a right place for my mom. The person who toured us around said that they were only assisted living and no longer independent living. The building itself was rundown. It wasn't as clean as I hoped it to be. I think they were under construction at that time. During the entire visit, I just felt very uncomfortable there.

Kathy39 June 29, 2013

They were very nice, but they were far away. The rooms were nice, I didn't see the food and I only met the one person who showed me around.

Caring9004 June 12, 2013

My mom has been staying in Horizon Bay since March. The facility is good. It's a very clean place and it doesn't smell like urine. They have a chef that cooks their food and it's good food. Some of the staff are very nice and loving but others seem to have a chip on their shoulders. One thing I can complain about this place is that I can't understand some of the nurse's aides. It seems that most of them are not from this country. My mother had a hearing difficulty and it's already hard enough for her to understand, so this is a disadvantage for her.

Caring039 August 14, 2012

We toured Horizon Bay of Tamarac together with my mom. We actually loved it! We would definitely choose this community if all the papers are settled. What we like about this place is their environment and the community itself. It is surrounded with beautiful landscape and they have a big garden. They have a very beautiful restaurant style dining area. It was a very nice visit. The staff are all welcoming and they are all kind.

commercesd April 13, 2012

We visited Horizon Bay Tamarac while in the region looking at assisted living facilities to consider for my friend's mother. We immediately liked the outer exterior, which appeared very well maintained and like a nice motel.

The grounds were nicely landscaped, with tranquil tree-lined walkways and seating areas. The facility can accommodate a variety of ambulation levels and as needs change, the care team adjusts accordingly.

We could feel a very good energy and liked the pastel color scheme, which added to each space nicely. The high ceilings with chandeliers made the rooms very elegant.

This facility had ample communal rooms for every activity imaginable, from reading in the library, to card games, physical exercise, crafting and hosted meetings.

The fitness center offered regular exercise classes and instruction and assistance whenever needed. The private living spaces were generous, and the ones we viewed were beautifully decorated with lots of fresh air and light. All units were well designed, efficient and yet still spacious.

They offer both private and shared arrangements, full kitchens or kitchenettes. Bathrooms were handicap accessible.There is also an emergency and nurse call system. They refurbish each space for new residents. The options include both independent living and assisted living situations.

The dining room was quite spacious, with a fresh decor. The food looked and smelled delicious. The menus all had healthy food options for all dietary needs and are offered all day, which is an extra perk that most senior communities do not usually offer.

They also have private dining rooms available for special occasions. Healthy snacks are offered all day and into the evening, as well as whenever residents request them.

The outside activities feature many interesting cultural events in the surrounding areas, like films, dining, museums, art and other social gatherings. There was also a large auditorium for parties and group events.

We were impressed with how the staff here interacts with residents with great kindness and caring. This is a well-designed, thoughtful living environment for seniors that includes everything that they need to live a rich life.

From Horizon Bay Tamarac

Horizon Bay Tamarac provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Features of Horizon Bay Tamarac

• Technology extra: Emergency call system

• Physical therapy
  • 24 hour nurses: Yes

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Private services