Brookdale Sterling

46555 Harry Byrd Hwy, Sterling, VA, 20164

Reviews of Brookdale Sterling

Thomas49 February 10, 2015

Every time something happens to my mother-in-law, they just shift her off to the emergency room. We couldn't even get her back in to the place at night. It was just horrible. They claim that she roamed, but she couldn't even get out of bed let alone roam. We have this belief that they were just trying to get a room open to charge more money. The rooms are average. They were fine, and there is nothing wrong with it. I think we ate there once, and it was OK, but it wasn't great. The facility is close to us. After we have been here at Monroe House (Emeritus) for a year and a half, it just kept getting worse. It was OK at the beginning. We were paying for extra care, but it didn't seem as though they have the staff to do it. They probably need more staff especially nursing staff.

Caring87856350 October 04, 2014

Emeritus at Sterling is locally called the Monroe house. On the first tour, we decided against it immediately because it was terrible. It was not a nice place to walk into and the poor old people in wheelchairs were just parked in the hallway. They weren't engaged in anything; it was lethargic. Sure the staff was welcoming, but they could have taken some of the energy they were giving to me and given it to some of the residents who were already there and could have used their attention. It was really awful. Honestly, I saw that and I couldn't suffer anything else, I was so upset. Really, it didn't seem they had any activities, or they didn't have enough because they didn't seem to engage their residents. The care for their residents would be one thing they need to improve.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your thoughts about our community. We deeply regret that we were unable to meet your expectations. Please be assured that we are always trying to engage our residents through scheduled programs and outings designed with their interests and capabilities in mind. From fitness and education programs to cultural and social events, there is something for everyone!

Nadine3 May 31, 2014

I've been to Monroe House (Emeritus) before, so I knew I liked it. I just wanted to go back to make sure that it was something that I thought she would still be interested in. The staff seemed really nice. They had arts and crafts and bingo. They have transportation for them to go to different activities, like the community center for seniors, and they would actually transport her back and forth to dialysis. The lady I met with was not very personable. I like the facility because it was nice and clean. The rooms were a nice size, and they just seem to have more to offer. They're not too far from restaurants and the grocery store.

JJHH July 23, 2013

My father-in-law has been at this facility for a year. Staff is friendly, caring, and know every resident by name. Staff takes time to chat with residents and encourage participation in group activities when residents are able. I am promptly notified of any specific concerns the staff may have with the resident. I definitely recommend Monroe House.

Diane28 July 11, 2013

Monroe house looked nice, well kept and clean but they didn't have a secure setting. The person who took us around was very helpful. They have very nice private rooms.

Lalaine June 15, 2013

Emeritus (Monroe House) was very nice and clean, but it seemed a little stiff for me. I felt it wasn't as homey as I would like it to be. But I would recommend it to other.

Cindy23 June 13, 2013

We used Monroe House while we're on vacation, not long term. The facility was right in my backyard practically. It was beautiful. Everything looked very nice. The staff were very nice and helpful. They had a lot of activities there, though my mother didn't participate as much. We would have placed her there if we had enough money for long-term stay.

Ron 1 September 08, 2012

I like Monroe House. It's a little bit of an unusual place. It was actually built by a local church and then later purchased by a larger corporation. The staff seem nice too as well when we visited.

Jerrytown June 29, 2012

It was always pleasant to show up to Monroe House for the monthly service. Our contract was customer service related and I had the opportunity to meet with the residents to make sure they were living in a "bug free" environment. Over a period of six months I met most of the residents and formed friendly relationships with them. I remember how accommodating they were to me and it was always nice that they remembered my name. You could tell the staff from manager to maintenance cared for the well-being of their residents. Occasionally, if I came at the right time, they would ask me to have lunch with them. The facility was up to date, clean and had a nice sense of community. Its location has all the amenities necessary for daily life to the residents that were still very active. When I planned to move on from the company, I made sure to hand over responsibilities to a coworker that I knew would receive and offer the same amount of respect and care for the residents as I did. The residents were warm, welcoming and friendly, when I made the efforts to tell them I would no longer be their technician, they were cheerful for me to be moving on yet sad to see me go.

StrongLeon May 26, 2011

Friend or relative of resident

My uncle stays at this facility and is fully happy with the support he receives. Residents are under 24/7 surveillance and are constantly cared for. It was very difficult for him to make the change into an assisted living facility, but the staff was helpful every step of the way.

From Brookdale Sterling

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Location of Brookdale Sterling