Sunrise of Stamford

251 Turn of River Road, Stamford, CT, 06905

Reviews of Sunrise of Stamford

Caregiver2000 June 19, 2014

My mother is a resident. I'll share the good and the bad so that people can make an informed decision.
Pro: My mother likes the social atmosphere. One of her main care givers takes very good care of her, Con: The management is constantly trying to upgrade my mothers care to increase the revenue per resident. This is a common theme from the other daughters that I speak with. It really is taking advantage of the elderly. In 3 months my mothers bill went up an additional $3,000 per month. One of my friends had her mother there and the cost went up almost $4,000 per month. I was hoping that putting my mother in Sunrise would reduce the stress but in fact it has been very stressful for me. I am hoping to find another assisted living where this is not the norm. At the next place I look at I will ask for references of daughters of residences to get a better understanding of the pros and cons of the facility.

Caring79648450 February 28, 2014

I visited Sunrise of Stamford. It was very nice and easier for me to go there. It looked perfect and they were so pleasant. Their marketing businessman, Michael, presented it right and even opened my knowledge that my husband being a soldier was entitled to some pension. I didn't know about that. So, he was the one who told me to research that and even gave me the phone number whom to call. I thought that was a very nice thing to do.

I also talked to the nurse who interviewed my husband to make sure that they could take him. They were very pleasant and they even gave me a pie. I did not eat there, but I saw the menu and it seemed to be a well-balanced. They had a pretty good chef and the people seemed to be very happy. They had private rooms, but there was no availability at the moment. They also had semi-private bedrooms with shared bathroom. They were nice and clean. When I was visiting, I saw their activities. There were two caregivers who were walking around and talking to them. I saw two ladies playing cards and there were 3-person groups.

Wendi1 November 26, 2013

Sunrise of Stamford was sent to me by someone from Caring.com. I didn't eat there but I did see their dining room and it looked nice. The place was fine but it wasn't for my father. The layout of the building seemed kind of confusing. Also it was not a cheerful environment in their memory care community. Most of the staff seemed nice enough, but in the memory care, I didn't feel that they were very happy. Some of them were nice. However, one of their staff members, she came pushing through a wheelchair as we were walking and I didn't think she had much regard for the fact that we were there standing. It just didn't seem like the staff was very engaged with their residents.

Caring74685350 November 23, 2013

Sunrise of Stamford was beautiful. The atmosphere and everything was nice there. The staff seemed wonderful. One of the ladies even brought us coffee and then showed us around. Their rooms/apartments were beautiful too. They did have bunch of activities for their residents including crocheting, arts, music, etc. It was a very nice facility; however, the price was exuberant. I don't understand how people can afford that. It was a beautiful facility but most people couldn't afford to be there. It was all private pay. So if my mother got used to it and then run out of money, then they have to boot her out. They said that you'll let them know a year ahead before your funds run out and then you could start looking for another place that will take Medicare.

Caring73327450 October 28, 2013

Sunrise of Stamford was a pleasant facility. It was the same with the other facility we visited. Their rooms were also pretty much the same too. The staff was pleasant. They explained everything to us.

Ama29 August 28, 2012

I have no real complaints about the facility: it was clean, the staff was all friendly and seemed responsible, reliable, and honest. From what I see, residents are well attended to and the place runs efficiently. There are no signs of neglect. However, the place has an eery air to it. I do not think that the residents are unhappy per se, and they're certainly not mistreated, but there is life missing. Instead of productive, interactive activity, there is a lot of TV watching, radio listening, etc. On the other hand, this could be what the residents enjoy or are capable of. It would be nice if local student groups came to play games with them or sing to them, but that may be out of the facility's control. All things considered, I think it was a good family decision to put our grandmother there, and I believe she is in good hands.

brittbautista July 24, 2012

This assisted living provider was very impressive. All of the elderly people living there seemed very happy and were very friendly. They were not short on people skills nor physical skills. The amenities were fantastic as they had food available the entire time in the lobby as well as a bathroom and sitting area. The building was kept at a very comfortable temperature as I visited in the winter and it was nice and warm inside. The staff was very kind to me, however, they were somewhat rude to some of the elderly people living there. They were very quick and attentive with service to the old people, but the way that they spoke to the old people was surprisingly unkind.

Granddaughter7 July 06, 2012

My grandmother lived at Sunrise Assisted Living for over three years. Although in her late nineties, she was able to attend all of the functions available. It made her very happy to visit their library, and attend classes downstairs. She painted, read, even chair-danced on a weekly basis. The accommodations were clean and well maintained. The lunchroom had a varied menu and the food was very good. She also enjoyed that guests were allowed to dine with her. The most important piece was that her aide could stay in the room with her, and even had a pull out couch for overnights.

gingersnap401 November 17, 2011

My Gram stayed at Sunrise for almost 2 years. Sunrise is beautiful & expensive - althought worth every penny. While we lived in Stamford, my family would visit Gram in her own little apartment where she had all the amenities of being in her own home. The facility was spotless; the staff was very friendly and accomodating. They seemed to be very patient with some of the much older residents. We sat with Gram for dinner on occassion and met the friends she spent time with. The food was very good and Sunrise had no problem with providing meals to family members. A bus came to pick up the residents to go shopping or to CVS or Walgreens, or just out to a movie - just to get them out of their rooms. The grounds were kept beautiful as well. Flowers by season were always present. There was a nice patio with rocking chairs out front to sit and chat with other residents. and my son (4 at the time) would visit with other residents and make them laugh. Some residents didn't have families visiting (per Gram) so it was a treat for them to see the children. There was a Hairdresser onsite for the ladies too. My friend Nancy use to run it. I really can't think of anything negative to say about Sunrise. Gram would have loved to stay there but her funds ran out and she ended up moving in with her daughter, my aunt, in Michigan.

CaringinCt September 11, 2011

I had a very close friend who lived for a time at this facility. Whenever I visited I was always impressed by the atmosphere - people were friendly, always willing to say hello and give you a smile. The building (s) themselves were clean and easy to navigate, with appropriate care paid to wheelchair ramps and door handles with ease of turning in mind. The room - I only saw my friend's - was functional and clean, with a nice view of the outside. It seemed a little on the small side, but for a single person it served its function well enough. I had little interaction with the staff - be it my timing or theirs - so I cannot make an accurate statement, though my friend offered no complaints. It was also located nearby to a number of businesses, a number of which offered delivery, making access to necessities and restaurants easy and relatively fast. There are also shuttle services for ease of visitation or shopping further from the facilities.

From Sunrise of Stamford

Close to the Merritt Parkway Exit 35, Sunrise of Stamford is set in a suburban area with beautiful landscaping and greenery, near the city of Stamford. We pride ourselves in our warmth and friendliness, and our outstanding staff courtesy and experienced management team.

Step into a Sunrise Assisted Living community and you can?t help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, to our comfortable community areas and choice of suites to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping. Look around and you?ll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to ensure that each day spent here is a welcome one.

Location of Sunrise of Stamford