The Academy, A Merrill Gardens Community

1216 N Superior Street, Spokane, WA, 99202

Reviews of The Academy, A Merrill Gardens Community

Caring105402250 April 20, 2015

The Academy was too dreary, and the part that I saw wasn’t impressive at all. I lost my husband, so I need a little bit of cheering up there. I’m just thinking that the whole thing -- in general -- needs to be updated or renovated; it’s just too old looking. It’s completely filled with people that are disabled, and it is too much like a sanitarium. There is just not enough independence for me.

Thank you for taking the time to write us this review. We are disappointed to hear about your experience. Please contact us directly if you are willing to share additional feedback.

Chris100858050 October 26, 2014

I did check into The Academy. It seemed alright. I thought the rooms were a little on the smaller side. The staff was nice and friendly as well. They had trips and little bunco games and stuff like that where they’d get together in the evenings. I got stopped because they didn’t have any Medicaid apartments available.

Bill7 October 13, 2012

On first glance, this building looked like any other. Once you enter through its doors you get overtaken by a warm happy feeling. The staff here is wonderful, such nice people! Another plus is the location is very close to Sacred Heart Hospital. Anytime dining is a great feature in my opinion!It's an all around great place to settle down at!

From The Academy, A Merrill Gardens Community

The Academy is located next to Mission Park on the bank of the Spokane River in Spokane, Washington. Our apartment-style independent living community offers all of the amenities of a home without the work. Imagine a life without household chores, yard work or home maintenance. Invite guests to a meal, special event or social outing.

Location of The Academy

- Close to medical services, shopping and restaurants - Paved walking paths and garden areas - Landscaped grounds

Services offered at The Academy

- Independent living and assisted living - 24-hour staff - Anytime Dining served restaurant style - Weekly housekeeping and linen service - Full activity program - On-site maintenance

- Studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments with kitchenettes - Comfortable lounge areas and activity room - Private dining room available for special events - Salon and barbershop - Resident and guest parking - Guest suites available for visitors - Small pets welcome - Resident call system in every apartment

Essentials

- Month-to-month rental, no buy-in required - All utilities included, except telephone and cable - Centrally located laundry rooms - Total apartments: 97

Picturesque grounds, bordered by beautiful Mission Park, the Centennial Trail and the Spokane River. Located on the Gonzaga University Campus, close to shopping, and medical facilities. Warm and welcoming, smaller community, with an intimate Assisted Living building. Built in 1891, our historical and unique building is listed on the local, state and National Register of Historic Places. Anytime Dining and 60-day guarantee

Features of The Academy, A Merrill Gardens Community

• Technology extra: Emergency Call System

• Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• Hiking trails
  • 24-hour security gate
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)
  • Dining extra: Anytime dining 7am-7pm

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• Private services

• We charge an entry fee
  • Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental

• Staff patient ratio: 1 to 7
  • We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 62

• Licenses: Boarding Home
  • State License(s): 1625

• We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of The Academy, A Merrill Gardens Community