Brookdale Skylyn

1705 Skylyn Drive, Spartanburg, SC, 29307

Reviews of Brookdale Skylyn

Cheryl110026250 June 29, 2015

I enjoyed the visit, and Brookdale probably is the one that we will go to. The room is wonderful. It is spacious and clean, and the people there were so very nice. They were so willing to help. I have not been able to try their food, but I will be going back for a second visit, and maybe this time I will be able to try the food.

Caring98814450 December 17, 2014

We also went to Emeritus at Skylyn Place, and we enjoyed talking to the person in charge. They were renovating the apartments. The staff was excellent. We enjoyed the place, and the residents seemed busy.

Caring96209250 October 16, 2014

Emeritus Sklyn were the first ones to contact me. The staff is fine; it’s just the facility itself is a little crowded. The rooms are very small. The rooms have two beds; it’s like being in a hospital, and I’m not impressed with the food. The staff was very good; I have no problem with the staff there, and that’s one of the reason I’m letting her stay there until I can get back as I’m out of town right now. I’ve got to try a place when I get back. There is a facility for the family to sit, but we have to go out of one building and into another building. The only problem I’ve got was the rooms are so small -- although they’re remodeling the place -- but still it’s small. The air is bad, and you’ve got four people sharing one bathroom.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. The community leadership and the dining team is working hard to improve the quality of meals utilizing the new Brookdale dining program.

Caring87366350 June 19, 2014

My mom was at Emeritus at Skylyn Place for about two weeks. We were not happy with it, and in fact, we brought her home. We were very unhappy with the care that she was receiving. They did not have enough people to work. They were understaffed, and my mom had dementia and did not understand that she could not get up and walk, and so she fell at least once a day, and on some days, three times. They would just give her a lot of medication so that she was just completely out of it. She lost her dentures, and we went up one day and she had a pizza and a salad for lunch without her bottom dentures. I would not recommend this facility.

Caring83141550 May 11, 2014

We visited Emeritus. They showed us the dining room and an individual room. The rooms were fine. The one they showed us was a long way that you had to walk. My sister cannot walk; she was on her walker, and it was hard getting to the room. They were clean. The staff was fine. They had some crafts stuff going on. Probably within two or three miles, there are shopping centers and restaurants.

There was an upfront cost of about $6,000 to $7,000, depending on how you were going to pay it, that we were not aware of. That was a turn-off, but that wouldn't have been a problem if we had known it.

Thomas35 April 26, 2014

We chose Emeritus for my mom. I think that it is nice that the lady who is the director of Emeritus showed us around and talked to us, rather than just a secretary or somebody else. She actually takes time to answer all our questions and see what we think. I am really impressed so far because they are doing a really good job in keeping her really clean, and the lady who is actually doing her housekeeping does a wonderful job. I can say that in the assisted living part, they are staffed pretty well. We haven't had any issues where there isn't enough help. They offer rides to the doctor if you need one. They take them to Wal-Mart, and they have a weekly tour to the groceries. She hasn't gone to any of the outings, but at this time she says she is not ready for them, but they do them. They have church services that go along with her religious beliefs. The only thing that I can say is, if she can have telephone that is a little easier for her to use or for her to wear, because she has to have a nurse to help her call. Other than that, we are really pleased.

William32 April 11, 2014

I visited Emeritus at Skylyn Place and it felt a little cramped. The staff who assisted me was very nice, and she was perfect for that role. She was an excellent conversationalist and a good listener. She picked up on everything that I said and had a way of expanding on it or drawing me out more by using what I said. She was a true professional. Overall, I was impressed with her. I saw people sitting around and talking. The facility was built very much like a residence. The rooms that I saw were nicely arranged rooms. There were rooms that people had been allowed to bring their own furnishings into, which made it homey.

thenderson February 01, 2014

My mom has Alzheimer's and is in Emeritus. They are wonderful. It is not elaborate, but it is nice and clean. Mom is in an apartment with a little foyer and a kitchenette, which had counter, cabinets and refrigerator. Then there is living room area. They have their private bedrooms, which are spacious and a bathroom. The family of each person can come and have their privacy in the apartment. They can also meet in the TV room where they gather where they can talk. There is also a long hallway in the facility where there is piano. On the right there is a room that looks like an outdoor park. They have a mailbox there and they can walk on the patio.

It is like a big family. The staff is good to the residents. They treat all of them the same. The really go out of their way and tell me how much they love my mom and the other people there. The nurses there even use their break time to pick up medicines for the people who didn't have any family. When mom first comes in there, she thought the building is on fire and she keeps going out but she didn't get hurt. Then she go into another room where she kick the window and re-arrange the furniture. They call me and tell me: "I just want to let you know how things are going. Your mom, I don’t really know what caused it, but she kicked out a window" and I say "Oh my gosh!". Then she says: "Then she moves some furniture in another room". I say: "Okay, tell me how long to get that window repaired". She says: "Oh, no. This is her journey. She is on a journey that she didn't understand. If something in her past that has come into reality then we'll have that one to face. You don't have to worry about it. We just want to let you know that she is okay. She didn't have any scratch or hurt anything when she kicked it out and she's fine". They know this is a journey that these people are in. And, each one has a different journey. The just follow the journey and if they get irritated, they just talk around it and try to get them to steer them to a happy direction. You don't find these kind of people everywhere. As long as mom is happy and I know that she is happy, then I am happy.

Scott8 November 26, 2013

Emeritus is really nice. The apartments that they have set aside for individuals in assisted living are really apartments. They're not just a bedroom so they consist of a living room, a bedroom, a kitchenette with refrigerator and a variety of different things that are in the apartment itself. They painted and replaced all the carpeting prior to my mom moving in.

I did not have any problems with the staff. They've been very cooperative. They met with us when we've asked them to meet with us. They keep us informed all the time. I like the lady who's the care coordinator on the floor. The admissions lady was also wonderful.

There are a variety of dining rooms within the place and what happens is that at her meals, she goes down to the dining room, she sits with a couple three other ladies and her meal is served to her by wait staff. They have a primary meal and then have an alternative. If you don't want the primary meal, they have an alternative. If the primary meal is a hot meal, then the alternative meal is a hot meal. If the primary meal is a cold meal, then the alternative is a cold meal. For example, if you don't like fried eggs and bacon, they have waffles as an example. Mom has said that the food is okay. She is not overly fond of it but she isn't overly fond of any food right now. She's 86 and frankly enough it didn't taste really good to her.

She takes occupational and physical therapy. They also have a recreation coordinator that sets up a variety of activities every single week that are different throughout the facility so for example, they had a poet who came through and gave a reading of his poetry one day. There are always two or three activities listed for every single day. Some of them look kind of ughhh and others look reasonably good. They also have a huge activity room with pianos and they have their own library.

Tami1 October 27, 2013

The information that they provided was great. The tour was good, but I was not impressed with the facility. They took us to the memory care unit and the room that they showed us had a lot of damage. It wasn't maintained well. Few of the residents there looked they were not taken care of really well. Their clothes were wrinkled and their hair was everywhere and I really have issues with that. We asked about night time care and they told us that they have 24-hour care. I ask what do they do if the residents get into trouble at night because they don't have any call button and they said that they will just look into a couple of hours which to me for somebody who has memory issues that is not enough. Another thing that concerned me greatly was that they told me not to be surprised if one day I would visit my mother-in-law there and I would be seeing somebody else's is wearing her clothes or jewelry which I think that is not acceptable. It's part of their job to make sure that the residents keep their own stuff. Their philosophy was right on target, but their product was not.

Melissa7 October 22, 2013

Emeritus was very clean and nice. The staff was very helpful and the residents are very sociable. We liked the price but it didn't work out.

Dianne8 September 30, 2013

Since Skylyn Place has a memory care facility, we opted this place for my mom. It was also the one closest to us. Right now she is on their waiting list. They have apartments that are basically the same as with the assisted living part of the facility. They also have two-bedroom apartments. The difference is that their memory care is a lockdown facility for Alzheimer's patients. The staff was very nice during my visit. They told us that they have activities in their memory care unit. What I like best for this facility? Well, I'm just glad that they've got a memory care unit. There's not that many of them around. Also the price is reasonable.

MD1 September 19, 2013

Emeritus at Skylyn Place is definitely a close second amongst the facilities I considered for my mother. It was a little farther away from the family and it had less square footage for the accommodation that we wanted for her. I had to be honest, this facility was built earlier than the other one we visited, and so the age of the building was older; however, they did a wonderful job of maintaining it. For the quality of everything, I was kind of surprised at the price point. It was so affordable because they had done so much refurbishing and even now, they're still working on that. It is very reasonably priced! They have vacancies for both one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments. My mom would have chosen the two-bedroom for the space. They also have sun porches if you go with the two-bedroom option. I joked with my brother that if mother decided not to move in at this place, I would move in in her place because I thought this is just a wonderful place!

NICKIE1 July 22, 2013

MY HUSBAND AND I VISITED THIS FACILITY TO SEE IF WE THOUGHT HIS PARENTS WOULD LIKE IT. WE HAD HEARD SOME NEGATIVE THINGS, AND SAW NONE THAT HAD BEEN MENTIONED. THE STAFF WAS REALLY HELPFUL, CHEERFUL, AND CARRIED ON CONVERSATIONS WITH THE TENANTS. THE TENANTS ALL SEEMED HAPPY AND CONTENT. SEVERAL WERE WALKING AROUND WITH FRIENDS, OTHERS WERE SITTING IN GROUPS LAUGHING AND TELLING STORIES OF THE OLD DAYS. I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING TO CONCERN ME. THE APARTMENTS WERE CLEAN, THE RESIDENTS WERE CLEAN AS WELL. I DIDN'T SMELL ANYTHING STINKY. I DID SEE SOME STAINS ON THE HALLWAY CARPET AND SOME ON THE CEILING TILES. THE GROUNDS WERE CLEAN AND THE WALK WAYS WERE CLEAR. I DO HOPE HIS PARENTS DECIDE TO JOIN THE ONES HERE. THE ACTIVITIES, THE MEAL PLANS, REALLY EXCITED ABOUT ALL THAT THEY WILL HAVE TO DO HERE TO KEEP THEM BUSY AND MOVING.

laurl91210 August 28, 2012

I recently visited Emeritus at Skylyn Place as a prospective assisted living facility for my grandmother. I have been to several retirement homes with various relatives over the years and I have never seen such a place as this. The facility is dirty, there is a urine smell in the air and it is a dark and dismal environment. The residents look miserable and unkempt and the staff are inattentive and have poor attitudes. On the tour I went up to one of the residents to ask them their opinion of the place and was quickly hustled away by our guide. They also refused to let me tour their food preparation area, leading me to think it may have been very unsanitary. I saw bulletin boards advertising many activities but on my visit there was nothing going on, not even a bingo game. I was shocked and appalled at the lack of care and concern for the residents or even for basic hygiene here. Do not move your relative to this place and do not even waste your time touring it. In fact, I think it needs to be reposted to whatever governing body oversees assisted living facilities.

clemson September 22, 2011

Do not move in here. This place is not clean and they do not take care of the residents

Las Vegas July 28, 2011

Staffing is very poor! They need to consider level of care and staff accordingly. Took over one hour to get help with patients care, and the attendants all have poor attitudes!

From Brookdale Skylyn

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Location of Brookdale Skylyn