American House Southfield Senior Living

27577 Lahser Rd., Southfield, MI, 48034

Reviews of American House Southfield Senior Living

Paula114073350 October 28, 2015

I have a couple of friends who stay in the American House in Southfield. Everything is fine. It is clean,and the food is nice; it is just excellent. The staff is very nice and friendly. They have bingo, they take them out on outings, and every Friday, they have gatherings in their community room. The apartments that I have been in were nice. They were both two big, very spacious rooms.

Caring112180450 August 21, 2015

I found a place at American House. It is nice. The apartments are really nice and big. The food is really good. I love the food. Their dining room is set up really nicely. If there is anything I need, I would call up the staff, and they would try to help me and see what they could do for me. Also, there is transportation to the supermarkets. If there are places you want to go, they would take you there as well. They have games too.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Our community takes great pride in making sure its residents are comfortable and well cared for and appreciate your positive comments. We look forward to your time with us bringing you many years of enjoyment and happiness. If there is anything else we can do for you, my door is always open. Sincerely, Belinda Smith, Executive Director | (248) 914-9108

Caring108729150 June 21, 2015

I like the cleanliness and the well behaved people that I saw. They were very helpful. They would send me emails and brochures online. The rooms were nice. I wish I had a closet at home like that. When you walk in the front, the layout was very noticeable. The staff were very friendly. I would recommend American House Southfield.

Thank you for visiting American House Southfield, and for providing your feedback! It sounds like we've provided you with a lot of information on the community; however, if you still have any questions, would like another tour or need other assistance please contact me! Belinda Smith, executive director

Cliff5 May 01, 2015

The staff at American House was very pleasant and took me on a tour. They gave me pamphlets and information. There has been a lot of follow up with the staff. I was looking for a 2-bedroom, and that’s what I saw. They were all clean and nice. In the apartment, there was stove and refrigerator where you have the option of preparing your own meals, and you can also go the dining area which is very nice. They have a food service menu.

They have a gathering room, and they had room where they had arts and crafts. You can do your own laundry and haircuts. They also indicated they had a bus to take you to doctor’s appointments or shopping. They had a buzz to get in and security at the front; it seems secure.

Thank you for your feedback on American House Southfield! Our main goal is ensure that our residents are always safe, so we're glad you noticed one of the many safety features of the building. If you have any questions, please call or visit the main office. Belinda Smith, executive director (248) 353-5835

Caring102632350 April 21, 2015

American House Southfield was very beautiful. I love it, but they wanted her to pay utilities on top of the rent. I like the appearance of the apartments and the entire building. They had one and two-bedroom apartments, and the rent was reasonable. They had nice dining rooms. They did have a gym and things for physical therapy.

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed touring American House Southfield. While utilities are separate from monthly rent, this community offers luxurious, affordable apartments that are maintenance-free. In addition, residents have access to meals, housekeeping, laundry and personal care services. A life enrichment director also plans social, cultural, recreational and fitness activities to keep residents active and engaged! For more information about this community, please contact us! (248) 353-5835

Caring100459350 March 31, 2015

I did not like American House Southfield. It was stinky, and it smelled. I didn't like it at all. They had the residents sitting around. They weren't clean to me. It wasn't good. I wouldn't send my dog there.

Thank you for your feedback. The American House Southfield community has a lot to offer residents including an activity room, exercise facility, library/computer lab, restaurant-style dining and more for all residents to enjoy. I would like to talk to you personally about your experience and your concerns. Sincerely, Belinda Smith (248) 914-9108

Caring102458850 February 24, 2015

I found my parents a nice place at American House. The apartments are nice. The people have a nice warm atmosphere. My parents seemed to like it right away. The apartments that they have are better that the ones they had before for less money. I was able to eat there when I was moving them in. They let me eat the first meal, and it is good. They get three meals a day. They have light housekeeping that comes in to clean their apartment. They have other things you can pay a la carte depending what type of assistance that they need.

I'm happy your parents liked it here right away! That's a great feeling to have for them, and for you, too -- to know that they are happy and well taken care of here. If you or your parents ever need anything, my door is always open.

caring93283050 May 31, 2014

I love the American House Southfield Senior Living. It is spacious, the kitchen area is good, it has a big walk-in living room, just like apartment living, and you have a balcony. They have food, and people come in to clean the apartment. It’s just that they’re too expensive. I needed a two-bedroom for my daughter to come with me. I saw some of the workers and staff, and they want me to come for two or three nights to stay and see how I like it. It was clean on the inside and out.

I'm glad you love our community! We have many amenities and services, which are provided on an a la carte basis -- so you're only paying for what you truly need and want. So, if there's any wiggle room there, I'd be happy to go over all your questions and concerns about moving in here. Please call me, directly, at your convenience!

Jacqueline9 March 18, 2014

I liked American House, it was nice. I saw the two bedroom apartment, it was nice and spacious and it had a balcony. It has a beauty salon, game room and a TV room. It has a little ethnic diversity there, so that was nice. I also liked the staff.

We are proud that our community is just like home - only better (who has their own beauty salon?!). Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback! If you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer them.

Caring76633050 February 28, 2014

When we went to American House Southfield Senior Living they were able to show us the room model and it was very nice. What I didn’t like is that when the actual room was shown to us, it wasn’t updated at all and they said we can have them updated for a price. The staff was good, but the lady on duty on that day wasn’t very nice. I think they need to update their room as well as the lobby because I wasn’t impressed with that at all. They also need to update their dining area as well as their community area.

I’m glad you stopped in for a tour! While our accommodations are safe, comfortable, nice and livable, I understand that sometimes not everyone truly loves the visual decorating. Please keep in mind that we have dozens of locations, so we’re working on updating them all in due time. If you have any questions or if I can be of any further assistance, my door is always open. Thanks for leaving your feedback!

Alfred3 February 28, 2014

The apartments are American House of Southfield area large and I like it. We had lunch there and I like the food. The people that were there were very friendly and very helpful. What my uncle didn’t like was the look of the lobby. It was not as cheerful to him. The staff was very pleasant and very professional. The people who interviewed us and took us on a tour were very professional and very informative. It was lunch time when we went there so the main activity that we saw was them serving lunch, but that particular day they had a birthday party for someone and everybody that was at lunch was invited to it. They told us the activities that they have like outings, arts and crafts, physical activity, and a lot more.

We do indeed have plenty of outings and activities here, Alfred! In fact, we have a Life Enrichment Director specifically assigned to making sure our residents are happy and having fun, with plenty of social interaction and opportunities to do something different. If you have any ideas, or if I can answer any questions for you, please give me a call personally.

Naomi4 February 27, 2014

I didn't think American House was for anyone in a wheelchair. You could pretty much get in the front door with it but as far as getting up and down the hallways and the apartments, it wasn't enough room to get down the hallway and turn into a room so that's why I could barely even get down the hallway on my chair. The rooms were okay, they were sufficient. It was clean, it was nice. It just didn't suit my purpose.

While our community is equipped to accommodate wheelchairs, I regret that you feel we weren't what you were looking for. Please keep in mind that we have many other locations - several nearby - that may be a better fit for your needs. If you’d like to give me a call, I'd be happy to discuss your other options with you. Sincerely, Belinda Smith Executive Director 248-353-5835

Ella6 December 20, 2013

I visited American House Southfield Senior Living because I was looking for a place to move in. The staff took me all around the facility. I liked the cleanliness, the entertainment they had for the residents and the convenience of everything in your apartment like the washer and dryer. It was very nice but it was not for me.

Thank you so much for your kind review and the time you spent touring our community. We do take pride in our housekeeping and activities, as well as comfort and convenience amenities like washers and dryers. We hope you found a suitable community and please contact me in the future should your needs change.

Sincerely, Sincerely Belinda Smith Executive Director 248-353-5835

Delores2 October 24, 2013

We were really impressed by American House Southfield Senior Living. The staff was nice and took us to see 1 and 2-bedroom apartments in the assisted and senior living parts. The rooms were spacious. The apartments were nice-sized. They had a place to put the washing machine within the apartment complex so you wouldn't have to share with others. They have a nice spacious kitchen, a dining area, and there's also living room and dining furniture. I think my mother would like the balcony they have because she could put some potted plants and the like there.

The facility was not as clean as I would like it though. The hall carpeting was a little bit worn and old. I hope they would replace that and maybe have a little paint job done so they'd have a spic and span look.

I'm glad our community impressed you, Delores! And your mother, I'm certain, would find some kindred gardening spirits since we do have others who enjoy their plants on their patios. We're always looking for ways to keep our community bright and fresh, so thank you for your suggestions on the carpeting and paint. If you or your mother have any questions, please don't hesitate to call me directly. Thanks for your feedback!

Joanna4 August 30, 2013

American House was nice and they had everything we needed but we didn't think my father could afford it. The staff was accommodating and the rooms are spacious enough.

Thanks for leaving your feedback, Joanna! Please keep in mind that we do offer many of our services as add-ons, so the prices are varied depending on what your father needs. If you give me a call, we can see what we can do to have your father living in our community!

Aarick August 22, 2013

I didn't make an appointment for the tour, so I was happy that American House Southfield was able to take me in. The staff was very helpful, very professional, and they took the time walking me through the facility. There's a courtyard where residents could sit outside and they have exercise class and a fitness room. The apartments had a washer and dryer setup.

The facility was clean, looked well-maintained, and well-run. The staff looked like they were familiar with the residents. They interact and call them by first name. I thought the residents actually knew the staff, too. However, it's geared more for those that may have had a higher income or may have had pension. I think with that type of good service, it should be opened up to people who aren't maybe as fortunate, like my mother-in-law who doesn't get much money every month.

Thanks for noticing so much during your visit here, Aarick! You're right, our staff and residents do know each other well - we try to do whatever we can to make sure our residents are happy. This includes offering a myriad of services and amenities that other places don't have. If there are financial considerations with your mother-in-law, I would be happy to discuss some options with you and help you find the best place for your mom. Please don't hesitate to call if there's anything we can do for your family.

Caring063003 July 25, 2013

I chose American House Southfield for my mother mainly because of the location. The pricing is reasonable and they had the basic services needed. Their dining room is spacious enough. They have some activities, but my mom does not want to participate in any of these activities. Their food isn't the best. They have a big change with the part of the cooking staff and it's not up to par so that makes a problem for me as I have to have someone else give her food. I had some problems with the support services not paying attention to what they are doing. They were bringing her the wrong food for awhile but that was worked out. Other than that, it seems to be a pretty facility.

I'm glad the food concerns were worked out. If you or your mother would like to discuss some different activities, we can sit down and see what we can do about incorporating something else since we're always looking for new activities! Give me a call or stop by anytime.

Julia2 July 11, 2013

I wasn't happy with American House Southfield. It didn't appear to be a welcoming place. It's kind of dark and dreary on the inside of the main area. It is much more independent where you have to pay for the extra services that you need. I just wasn't impressed with it.

Julia2, I'm sorry you didn't feel like it was a welcoming environment. Since we're independent living, we've found what's best for our residents is to have options for extra services they might need - but I’d like to discuss with you your optimal situation. Please give me a call or stop in and see me.

Ruthie2 May 11, 2013

The apartments at the American House Southfield Senior Living were spacious and very nice. It's an excellent facility. The only thing is that it is kind of pricey, and I would recommend it only to people who can afford it.

We're glad you like our community here, Ruthie2! One of the best things about life at American House is all the amenities and activities we offer for our residents - including housekeeping and laundry services, transportation, visiting physicians, our own choir, and so much more. With regards to the affordability, we're always willing to work with you and your family to make it more of a financial option. Thanks for your feedback!

Belinda Smith, Executive Director (248) 353-5835

Vivian7 April 24, 2013

I visited American House Southfield Senior Living when I was looking for a place to stay. Their staff was fine. I was looking for something in particular because I like the idea that I can walk directly into my house. They had a little porch right in the front. I can put flower plants if I wanted to and there's room where I can put a chair. They invited me to lunch and the food was good. I would recommend this facility to others but they don't have anything available right now. The only thing they could improve on was they don't have an attached garage. That's the only thing because I have to park my car at a distance in their parking lot.

We're glad that you would recommend our community, Vivian7! Looking forward to seeing what kind of colorful flowers you'll have on your porch when the weather stays nice outside. Even though we don't have attached garages, we tried to make sure every resident has a space available for covered parking. Maybe it could be an opportunity to take a walk and mingle with some of your neighbors! Enjoy yourself, and stop in if you ever need anything.

Sincerely, Belinda Smith, Executive Director, 248-353-5835

Annette4 April 17, 2013

We chose American in Southfield, MI for one of my parents because it's close to my home. The nursing home is friendly and she's only been there a week. It's a nice and clean place. I'm satisfied with the facility so far.

We're so glad that you are able to have your loved one close to your own home! Thanks for the feedback - we always strive to keep our communities clean and staffed with caring and friendly people. Please don't hesitate to stop by or give me a call if you ever need anything.

Thank you, Belinda Smith, Executive Director 248-353-5835

WalkerJ May 25, 2012

My brother stayed here for 3 months. It was chosen by a family member. The facility and amenities of the center were good but it was not conducive to what he needs. It's just very expensive for a senior living community.

Dear WalkerJ,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm sorry to hear our amenities were not what your brother needed.

Our pricing reflects the cost of apartment living, but also includes multiple services, amenities and activities so that our residents can live in a community where everything they need is right at their fingertips. We feel that when a resident aims to retain as much independence as possible, these services and amenities become very important "” and we are happy to provide them. I would love to talk to you about any suggestions you may have.

Please feel free to give me a call. And again, thank you for your feedback.

Sincerely, Belinda Smith Executive Director (248) 353-5835

jamalacey November 29, 2011

Very nice and clean.

Thanks for leaving us a review!

From American House Southfield Senior Living

Offering spacious apartments to rent monthly as well as condominiums for purchase, American House Southfield is ideally situated near family, friends, shopping, and familiar medical professionals in Southfield, Oak Park, Beverly Hills, and Farmington Hills. We are also close to nearby hospitals including Providence Hospital and Medical Center, Botsford Hospital, and Royal Oak Beaumont. Southfield Senior Living provides Independent Living with assistance available.*

Floorplan options at Southfield feature 1 and 2 bedroom apartments - all with full kitchens, living rooms and private baths. We also have a community dining room with restaurant-style dining available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Property amenities also include a heated swimming pool, activity room, exercise facility, library/computer labs and beautifully maintained grounds.

Our Activity Director plans a wide range of cultural, social and recreational activities and trips. Resident Services also include scheduled transportation. Laundry and housekeeping services are also available.

*Medical support services provided by a third party not affiliated with American House.

Reimbursement

• Beautifully Maintained Grounds

Resident Services

• Restaurant Style Dining Available for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
  • Housekeeping Services Available
  • Activity Director with a wide range of cultural, social, and recreational activities and trips
  • 24-hour staffing

• Emergency Call System
  • Private Bathrooms

Additional Assistance Available

• Onsite Personal Care Company
  • and many other available support services

Location of American House Southfield Senior Living