Aegis of San Francisco

Top Nearby Assisted Living Facilities

Reviews of Aegis of San Francisco

September 09, 2014

By senio

If your loved on does not require a lot of assistance and can speak up for yourself and are independent, this would be an okay place. The memory care staff are not trained adequately, nor are there enough memory care staff to handle the clients safely and effectively, especially at night when many of the clients are sundowning. The staff while most were friendly, were not well-trained in handling dementia clients. There was a big staff turnover. I think the facility should stay with what they do best and that is assisted living. Unless they are prepared to provided excellent memory care, and invest in solid training of their staff, and provide realistic staffing for this vulnerable community of dementia clients, they should just stay with assisted living. The facility is beautiful, but what most family would prefer is to have well-trained and professional staff and enough staff to cover the needs of the most vulnerable needy of clients, the dementia clients. Assisted living is acceptable; memory care unit needs a lot of help and staffing and proper intensive training.

September 08, 2014

By Sheilah5908

I chose Aegis of San Francisco for my mother because they have 24-hour nursing there. My mom is diabetic and what's nice about Aegis is that if someone needs to test for my mom's sugar, they can do it there. That alone helped us decide. The other thing was that the rooms are really big. The bathroom could fit a wheelchair and a walker. The way that the apartments are laid out, even though my mom has a studio, is really for a senior person. Their staff is really receptive. For the first two weeks, they have someone take my mother around even to all three of her meals. They have someone introduced her to everybody and sit with her and make sure that she gets involved in the activities. So you don't feel that your loved one is ever left alone. They have a very personal way about taking care of the seniors there and that's the nice thing. Also, because my mother used to be a designer, they have created a quilting club for her. They have a woman helping them garden, which is really nice. They have activities like exercise and they have an actual room with all the physical therapy equipments. There is someone who comes in and does arts and crafts with them. They actually have a hairdresser and she also does manicure. They have an onsite chef who takes requests on particular meals. They watch movies every single evening. They keep them very active and very alert. There is a courtyard where they can sit in. On the third floor, there is a beautiful balcony and you can just get a really great view of San Francisco. They actually have a shuttle bus and they do go for scenic drives and go shopping. It took us a while to find the right place, but it is well worth the wait. I really feel good that my mother is here. The other thing that is really nice about Aegis is that, if my mom ever had to have hospice care, it is waived because they have 24-hour nurses. So, she never would have to actually leave where she is living if something happens or if she got so sick and she needs hospice care. They also have memory care there too.

June 10, 2014

Aegis is fancy and homey. The staff is friendly, accommodating, and helpful. Most of the residents have Alzheimer’s. The food is good, and the serving portion is large. The dining area is spacious and cozy. The room is big and a bit fancy also with carpet. It’s comfortable. I used to enjoy their activities, but not anymore. They have music and movies. It is expensive here, I don’t like the staff, and management is poor

December 23, 2013

By ama1

On the day I visited there were 5 or 6 bins of soiled diapers outside the main entrance, which was a day they were having a Christmas piano recital. Not a pretty sight to see. But, inside the decorations were well done, it smelled okay, the residents were milling about, the manager was very involved in the running of the place, which seemed overwhelming. I didn't like the size of the facility, too large and too far from the rooms if walking to the dining room. The rooms were nice and had several with nice views, some had kitchens. There was set dining times, but, exceptions could be made if someone showed up in the kitchen (mornings). They did have one nurse and one LVN on staff, an overall friendly staff. They had a dementia and Alzheimer's ward, with locked doors. had a nice sitting area, drinks available on a buffet, a nice atrium.

December 08, 2013

By Peg Dougherty

My mother has been living at Aegis for nearly a year. Her room is beautilful. The common areas are like a well-appointed hotel. The staff is wonderful. They all address her by name and know us as her family. There are lots and lots of activities and day trips to keep Mom busy. The meals are good. The only problem Mom has had is the service in the dining room. All courses are brought at the same time (even the ice cream for dessert!). There is one resident that sits with Mom who could use some help in cutting her meat, but the wait staff is not observant of this. I have eaten there and the food is really very good. The administrative staff is excellent.

November 18, 2011

By Reenie317

I had a tour of this facility about 2 years ago and just recently visited someone who just moved in. It's a lovely facility, clean, the rooms are like a high-end hotel.

July 28, 2011

By ProfessionalGCM21years

This is an assisted living facility with a locked dementia unit. I've had clients there, and it's a solid 5. The care staff is very attentive, knowledgeable, responsive. And they have a good director of nursing, which is a key role. It's in South San Francisco--very easy to get to, right off the freeway. It's in the fog belt, though, and it's in a somewhat isolated location. It's hard to walk anywhere. But the building and rooms are beautifully appointed and well kept. Lovely. And there's a nice garden. They also have a very good chef. The food is excellent, with lots of choices. And they have a good calendar of activities. The residents participate in large numbers.

Features of Aegis of San Francisco

• Pharma

• Diabetic
  • Low Fat
  • Low Salt
  • Renal

• Spanish

About Aegis of San Francisco

As you enter our charming Aegis of San Francisco retirement community you'll notice the delightful smell of fresh baked bread and the smiles and lively conversation of friends and neighbors. Our assisted living services are tailored to your needs to make life easier.

For residents living with Alzheimer's or other dementia, we offer dedicated services for comfort and security. Our inviting surroundings, innovative programs and around-the-clock care help alleviate stress and anxiety and make life enjoyable.

We are centrally located and just minutes from the celebrated culture and dining of downtown San Francisco. And, for added peace of mind, we are near some of the world's best medical facilities.

Visit Aegis of San Francisco today and take a tour of our Aegis of San Francisco retirement community for active seniors and for those needing additional care, Aegis of San Francisco also provides assisted living and memory care.

Map of Aegis of San Francisco