Assisted Living in South Carolina
Caring.com can help you find the best Assisted Living in South Carolina. Read reviews, compare ratings, check prices and more with our comprehensive directory of Assisted Living Facilities.
Assisted Living in SC
- Hilton Head Island
- Mount Pleasant
- Murrells Inlet
- Myrtle Beach
- North Augusta
- North Charleston
A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities in South Carolina
What they're called
Official name: Community Residential Care Facilities
Common name: Assisted living facilities
To compare assisted living to board and care, skilled nursing, and other long-term residential care communities, see Residential Care Options: How to Decide.
What they offer
- Individual or shared (up to three persons) living units (from single rooms to multiroom apartments) with some cooking facilities
- All meals, usually in a common dining area
- General supervision
- Administration of or assistance with medications
- Personal care services, including help with activities of daily living (ADLs) such as eating, dressing, bathing, and getting around
- Social and exercise activities
Note: Some facilities also offer respite care and other special services.
What they cost
Median monthly fees: $3,070 (higher for residents requiring memory care)
State South Carolina requirements
- Facilities may not provide skilled nursing services -- and may not admit or retain a resident who requires regular nursing services.
- Residents may contract with licensed home health agencies to provide short-term, intermittent nursing care while recovering from an illness or injury.
- Bathroom facilities may be shared.
State of South Carolina oversight
The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, Division of Health Licensing (803-545-4370) oversees community residential care facilities.
How to resolve problems or offer feedback
- Contact the regional office nearest you of the South Carolina long-term care ombudsman program or call the program's central state office at 803-734-9900; this is a free service to help residents informally resolve problems with a facility. To register a complaint about a facility, you can contact the South Carolina's Division of Health Licensing or by phone at 803-545-4370.
- Rate and review assisted living facilities.
How to pay for assisted living in South Carolina
- Most assisted living is paid for privately by the resident and/or his or her family.
- For Medicaid-eligible low-income residents whose condition qualifies them for nursing home care, the state's home and community-based services waiver program pays part of the monthly fees for personal care services provided in participating facilities.
- Low-income veterans or surviving spouses of veterans may be eligible for Aid and Attendance or other payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which can help pay for assisted living.
- Some assisted living facilities offer sliding scale fees, making a higher level of care available to families that might not otherwise be able to afford it. Be sure to ask -- or ask a geriatric care manager in the area if he or she knows which facilities offer sliding scale fees.
Help finding and choosing a facility
- Hire a geriatric care manager (most have extensive local knowledge about assisted living facilities in a particular geographic area, including space availability, resident needs assessments, sliding scale fees, and resident satisfaction). To find a geriatric care manager, see Caring.com's Senior Living Directory.
- For details about assisted living facilities in each of the 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia, see A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities.
Assisted Living by County
- Aiken County, SC
- Anderson County, SC
- Beaufort County, SC
- Berkeley County, SC
- Charleston County, SC
- Dorchester County, SC
- Florence County, SC
- Georgetown County, SC
- Greenville County, SC
- Greenwood County, SC
- Horry County, SC
- Kershaw County, SC
- Lancaster County, SC
- Laurens County, SC
- Lexington County, SC
- Oconee County, SC
- Orangeburg County, SC
- Pickens County, SC