Brookdale Smithfield | North Carolina

830 Berkshire Road, Smithfield, NC, 27577

Reviews of Brookdale Smithfield | North Carolina

Shirley96703550 October 22, 2014

I went over to Carolina House of Smithfield when I was looking for a place for my aunt. It seemed a little too compartmentalized to me and it wasn’t as personal as the other facility. The facility was very clean and I had a positive visit over the facility.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and to share your feedback!

Caring3774 October 07, 2014

My mother in law is in The Carolina House. She likes it there and she said the people are friendly and the food is good. She knows good food because she is an excellent cook. The rooms are a little small, but that’s all she needs. She shares a suite with someone. They each have a little bedroom and they have a little kitchenette with a microwave and a sink. The bathroom is fairly large and wheel chair accessible. I visit all the time because it’s just ten minutes from me. We got a little mixed up on the laundry, but it was straightened out. They need to have more visible staff but so far, everything is good.

Caring90779550 July 30, 2014

Carolina House of Smithfield was our first choice, but they didn?t have any available at the time we went there. The rooms were great and the dining area was good. Everything I saw was fine.

Caring75317750 December 23, 2013

I'm familiar with Carolina House. My in-laws lived there for quite a while until they passed away. We visited them often while they were there. My mother-in-law had Alzheimer's and my father-in-law had macular degeneration. The building itself was small but it was clean. I think the people there were very good and they have an activities director in their staff. Their dining room was just suitable and it was for the people that were there. It was, however, limited on the number of people it can sit and you probably have to have a waiting list there. It was clean however. I've eaten there and I enjoyed it. The food was good. However, this facility would not be my choice because it was small. It was also pretty compact and crowded. Also I have a younger wife and the two of us were looking for a situation that we could both enjoy. This one was just a typical small-town community.

Darlene14 September 25, 2013

I liked Carolina House because it looked clean and neat in appearance. It looked like a safe environment. The staff was accommodating.

Gwyn1 September 23, 2013

I liked Carolina House. The personnel and the director were very friendly. They had activities like crafts, barbeques and cookouts. They had people come in and help them out. The rooms were spacious, but in the two bedrooms units, the bedrooms were small but they had a kitchen area.

Lucille April 23, 2013

Carolina House of Smithfield was very nice, clean, and had a heartwarming environment. They had what I wanted in a facility like that. They had good members in staff that gave me a tour of the place and explained each facility to me. They were really hospitable.

Atrod07 October 03, 2012

My cousin lived there and she loved it to start with . She had her own private room. She didn't have to share it with a another resident. The only thing she didn't like was having to share her bathroom. The meals provided were very planned out and customized to fit the residents health. Overtime I became familiar with the staff and they were very warm and treated the residents as if they were family. If the residents requested that there linens be washed. There linens were washed and returned the same day. It always felt as if i was walking into a home instead of an assisted living facility. Her stay has been great and was very pleased.

chloejo August 28, 2012

My aunt was at this facility for over 12 years. She passed away in May. At the beginning, I was very impressed with the facility and it's employees. They knew each person's name, after a few visits, knew who I was visiting and my name/relationship with my aunt. They were attentive to the patients, spoke to them appropriately, and seemed to genuinely care. Then for a year or two there seemed to be quite a turnover in staff and changes made to the facility. The staff weren't as friendly with me or the patients. They weren't rude though. They got to know me fairly quickly because I would take my dogs twice a week to visit the assisted living side and the "lock down"/Alzheimer's side- where my aunt resided. There was still one CNA, whose name I've forgotten, but she's still there and was always delighted to see us. She was cheerful, upbeat, and involved with the patients. The amenities were nice and appropriate. They had activities such as painting, bingo, sing alongs, arts/crafts, yoga, etc. They also had a closed in patio with benches, swings, and bird feeders. The meals were outstanding, well balanced and a nice variety. You could stay for dinner if you called ahead and many times they'd offer a meal while I was there even if I hadn't called ahead. It was kept up nicely and rarely smelled antiseptic-like in hospitals and other places I went. Overall, I really enjoyed that facility compared to all the others I had taken the dogs to for therapy/visitation. However, with the changes I mentioned before, one was that I could be given the four digit code to enter/exit the lock down area so I wouldn't have to bother a nurse or assistant to let me out when I was ready to go but they changed that policy. There were times when they've got their hands full with bathing, medicating, etc. that I felt I was inconveniencing them by having them let me out, or I'd have to wait so long for someone to be available that I'd be late getting where I'd need to go. The other change was that you were to ring a bell before entering even the assisted living side (which you had to go through to get to the Alzheimer's side)to be let in. Before, you could just walk in, sign in, and go visit. You also had to have someone let you out. There was rarely anyone around to help with this and it was time consuming and no well manned. Residents ended up going around the desk to push the button to release the door! I didn't like these new additions, but I'm sure they were put in place for some sort of safety reason.

Caring0063 July 24, 2012

Carolina House is a very nice facility, with a very beautiful "Grecian" look to it. The staff, they have a service plan for each patient or resident in the facility. My sister's room is not that small but it's homey and very accessible. It doesn't have cable TV included, but the closets are big and spacious enough for her things. It's also good that the apartment is cleaned everyday. I would say that the food is great, as I have received no complaints from my sister so far. Staff is well organized, and very caring to each resident. They seem very dedicated to their work. Yes, my sister is happy living in that facility.

From Brookdale Smithfield

Brookdale Smithfield provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each assisted living and Alzheimer's care resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

Features of Brookdale Smithfield

• Technology extra: Emergency call system
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Pharmacy
  • Physical therapy
  • Hospice care

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• Hiking trails
  • 24-hour security gate
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Fitness room/Gym, In-house physical, occupational, and speech therapy. In-house podiatrist visits. In-house doctor visits through Doctors Making House Calls.

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services

• Private services

• We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 65