Riderwood Assisted Living

Overview of Ratings

3.8

December 22, 2014

By Elizabeth98967250

I know quite a lot of people who reside at Riderwood Village, and they all love the facility. Personally, I don’t like the surroundings because there's too much asphalt. The people I knew there all told me that it's an easy place to retire. They get animal therapy, movies, and trips.

November 29, 2014

The staff at Riderwood seems very good. It is closest to my son. The rooms are very pleasant and clean, and all the amenities are there. The dining room is very pleasant with a window on one side and plenty of lighting and stuff coming in. For activities, they have almost anything that you might be interested in.

July 03, 2014

The place is very positive. My brother's room is very attractive and great. He has a living room, dining room, and a separate bedroom. Their food is excellent. They have a good variety and quality of food. The staff is very caring, persevering, and patient. He participates to a lot of activities on a daily basis. He feels absolutely secure with Riderwood. I would definitely recommend this facility to others.

June 11, 2014

I was invited to an open house in Riderwood Village. They showed apartments - one bedroom, two bedroom or three-bedroom apartments. It was the usual sales pitch. Activities are the usual mix of things, depends on what your interests are. My wife has been in the rehab there in the past where she enjoyed playing the piano and the food was very good. The rehabilitation facility is probably the best in the county.

April 24, 2014

The people there were very helpful. I guess we came away feeling we didn't want to live in a high-rise, and Riderwood has about 6 about high-rises. So we're not going to put that very high on our list right now. We were shown all the facilities. The dining room is fine. They assured us that the chef could take care of my wife's needs. But we didn't get much in-depth discussion about it. They had a 2-bedroom plus a den.

December 02, 2013

By easygoing

I lived at Riderwood and I found it to be a lovely place. They have nice activities like lectures and good old movies. They have religious services and trips to various places. They have wonderful food. The nice thing about this facility is that it understands the needs of the people and they really try to accommodate to their style.

September 25, 2013

By Allan1

What I like about Riderwood is that the food and the activities are superior. Under certain circumstances this facility would be right for a certain person.

September 25, 2013

By Denny2

Riderwood Village was about eight to ten minutes off the road where I lived. It was a nice facility. It have outdoor facilities that I could use and a lot of ground that I could walk. They have one or two meals a day.

July 30, 2013

By Anne21

Riverwood's surrounding was good. The rooms and the staff were nice. But it was not a facility who would take people with memory problem like my husband does.

July 24, 2013

By HappyToVisit

We were invited to stay two nights in Riderwood. There was something in the atmosphere probably the flameproof chemical that they used in the carpeting that I was allergic to and I developed eye irritation which took two days after we went home to clear up. I noticed that not only in the apartment but my allergy became worse in the dining room. Their apartments and kitchens were quite nice though and their activity program with a lot of opportunities for classes and intellectual stimulation appealed to us. But I just couldn't live there so we had to ask for our deposit back.

June 12, 2013

I visited Riderwood which is an independent living facility with assisted living too, but my friend is in independent. She's enjoying it and she's okay. She's been staying there for about a year. They serve food there. The place is clean and they have separate apartments. If I don't move out of state, I'll move there.

April 30, 2013

By Lydia 1

We visited several assisted living facilities and the one place we liked was Riderwood. It's a combination of independent-living where my parents could get some care and didn't have to be completely assisted. They had about 125 different lay-outs, which were quite roomy, and surprisingly comparable in terms of the price. It was a campus-like environment with a thousand residents and various clubhouse buildings equipped with different facilities. For example, one had a big pool and another had a big theater in it. And these buildings were all connected by a walk-through, so that whether it's too cold or the middle of summer, you didn't have to walk outside at all. It was a complete facility and the people there seemed to be were very active. We did not see anybody sitting around or just sleeping. They had lots and lots of activities. There were people doing photography, they had different classes, and just about any activity that you can think of. They also had different pastors and people coming in from various religions, so they had quite a variety of religious activities too. They had transportation to take people out on trips. They even had a camping site. The variety of things and activities they had was amazing. But my parents aren't ready to move into any facility right now.

March 21, 2013

Riderwood Village is a complete full care facility, which includes independent living, assisted living, short term rehabilitation and long term care. We chose it because of the activities involved, the food, and the proximity to our house. Overall the facility is very good.

December 29, 2012

By ScottM2

Riderwood is a great place. But the financial commitment that they have there are much higher than a lot of other places. The staff was great, I have no complaints. I was well informed during my visit. There's a lot of amenities there and it has a lot to offer.

October 18, 2012

By Jonathan_M

It is not the facility I would want for my relative. We had to call them few times just to schedule some time to visit the facility and when we got there the supervisor was very helpful but the staff looked extremely ruthless (like they were doing a favor for residents). Some of the staff was very abusive and it really made me feel upset for the residents who were living there. It seems like the staff in this facility cares about themselves more than they care for the residents. Only good thing about this facility is that they keep it clean and the rooms they have are pretty big with nice closets. They have gym, pool, lake etc so it is nice place to live. Only if the staff was more helpful and caring towards the residence. After we told about this facility to my aunt she didn't want to live there and we didn't send her there. I would not recommend it to anyone who I care about. 3 stars just for the cleanliness.

September 27, 2012

By Disappointed dominate

independent living very good. Assisted living staff unresponsive - does not return calls. Staff highly variable. Some excellent and caring, others bordering on abusive at times. Staff convenience seems more important than happy residents....

July 24, 2012

By ryanMkelly

Riderwood seems adept at meeting the needs of its residents. The facilities are clean, modern, and spacious. The staff, for the most part, appears competent and helpful. My grandmother has been happy with her room and the meals provided to her, as well as the medical care she is able to receive on premises. When my grandfather began to suffer from Alzheimer's, he was moved to another facility on the same campus that provided greater care, where the rest of the family was still able to visit. The transition appeared to be seamless, and the nursing home facility also met their needs.

June 05, 2012

By WilliamC

Riderwood is a low rise, two-story facility. I really like the place and the facility but I'm still looking around for more options. The rooms have big walk-in closets, living rooms and a bathroom. I didn't taste the food. Oh, and it offers different activities. It has an indoor heated pool, fitness center, a lake or was it a huge pond of some sort and lots of neat activity areas.

May 03, 2012

By elaineqp

My grandparents and several of my friends' parents have lived at Riderwood for several years. I used to be nervous about assisted living facilities and had little faith that they were places that I, someday, would want to live. However, Riderwood has completely changed that image in my mind. The private apartments are beautiful--my grandparents live in one that overlooks a lake. There are also so many opportunities for both social interaction and continuing to stay engaged. My always social grandparents love the communal dining room where they have made tons of friends, and they've taken several courses taught by local faculty on subjects ranging from literature to music. When they have had health problems, the physical therapists and more hands-on assisted living staff have been wonderful. Their involvement in the community is wonderful as well, including the scholarship program offered to the local high school students, who are given part-time jobs as waiters in the dining hall. It definitely gives me peace of mind knowing that my loved ones are not only safe, but are happy as well.

November 17, 2011

By Bowiegirl

I have visited the Riderwood assisted living facility on numerous occasions to visit my husband's grandmother, who lives there alone in a one-bedroom apartment. My experiences at Riderwood have been completely positive. The community is filled with active senior citizens who enjoy a broad array of social and cultural activities, such as movie nights, opera classes, card games, and religious gatherings. Residents are able to have small pets and some apartments have access to private garden lots where residents can grow flowers and vegetables. All residents have a small shelf outside their doors that they can decorate and personalize. My husband's grandmother is very happy with the staff at Riderwood and often comments on their professionalism and kindness. She has been able to maintain a strong level of independence despite her health needs. I feel she is well cared-for at Riderwood and would certainly recommend the facility to others wishing to send their loved ones to a welcoming and caring community.

Photos of Riderwood

About Riderwood

Our Silver Spring assisted living center gives you or your loved one extra support with the tasks of daily life. It's the perfect option for people who are in generally good health, but who need assistance with meal preparation, medication management and more. Other Silver Spring assisted living providers can't compare to our experienced team of caregivers. Plus, we offer private apartments in a variety of styles from studios and one bedroom designs, to two bedroom floor plans with attractive patios. You're free to decorate however you see fit. Residents of our Silver Spring assisted living center are encouraged to pursue their interests in the larger Riderwood community. Whether it's art, dining or travel - you'll find something for everyone.

Map of Riderwood