Hawthorn House

3.9

July 30, 2015

By Jena S

Other

My grandparents have been in ALFs in other states, so I have had experiences with similar homes. Hawthorn House is exceptional. The residents love living there and the staff obviously loves caring for them. The activities are abundant- there is always something fun going on. I want my own mom to live at the Hawthorn House if she gets to the point where she needs a little help. The staff live by "The Mom Rule": they ask themselves, "would I do this to my mom, for my mom and would my mom approve"...as a grand daughter and a daughter and a mom myself, that's a rule that I like!

July 04, 2015

By Johnny10

Hawthorn House was just too far out in the country, too far away from things, and also somewhat expensive. I just didn't feel good about it. I asked my mother if this was some place she would want to go and she said no way; it's too far. It's meant for people who are a little more dependent. It is assisted living and complete care, for people that need help with everything. They had a studio apartment, a larger one-bedroom apartment, and a large two-bedroom apartment. It's part of the Bob Hope Village.

June 18, 2015

Hawthorn House is in my mother-in-law’s community. It is much prettier than the others. What is not nice is this long waiting list, and I’m really unhappy about it. They said it would be 6 months, and we’re at 8 months now.

March 27, 2015

By photo82

The only positive thing I can say is that the facility is pretty. The care of our loved one received was not acceptable. The facility was found by the state inspectors to have violated patient rights by improperly discharging patients. Check out the Agency for Health Care Administration's report http://apps.ahca.myflorida.com/dm_web/DMWeb_Docs/5823289.pdf They have since had to comply with the state and they have now put protocols into place because of their improper discharge of patients and not notifying family members when the status of a patient changed or when they sent them to the Emergency room. The hospital reported them to the state agency. Be very careful if you send you loved one here. Make sure they don't need any extra assistance because they won't get much help and they do not follow their own care plans that they write for the patients.

March 08, 2015

Hawthorn House was sort of like going to a fancy hotel. They have a nice bedroom with a large closet and a handicapped bathroom. This one was larger than any of the places I looked at. They also have a living room with a mini kitchenette. It has a refrigerator, sink, and microwave. In their room, they provided us an iPad. The staff was very professional. I like the setup of the rooms. One of the issues in a facility like this is the noise level from the halls and stuff. So instead of having the rooms directly across the hallway, they have like curved hallways. Then off of those curved hallways is a straight hallway; they have a small hallway that comes to either side. At the end of each of the small hallways are two apartments, so you won't get the noise level from the hallways. I like the intimate settings for their eating area too. They didn't have long tables connected end to end. They have small sets of round tables in little groups in different areas, so there were more intimate settings for people who are eating. It is very clean. My brother who used to work in a restaurant was able to check out their food service area and cooking areas. He looked for cleanliness in places he would know to look for, and it was just excellent. The food service that they have in the little café is just excellent. They have their own bank in the facility. They have a PT area room and a contract PT people. They have a buffet for family members to be able to eat. They have two or three outdoor areas that people can go to. One of the big things that we have is that the military can get their medicines for free from the base. My mother takes 35 pills a day, so that is a big deal.

January 14, 2015

By emeraldcoastlife65

Looks can be deceiving, the staff and admin look very nice, friendly and willing to help they do not. They promised care for mother but they did not follow through with their own care plan. Very disappointed in the care that my mother received. They would always have an excuse they she did not received the care that week. Please do some research before you pick any place and always ask to maybe speak with some of the residents.

January 06, 2015

By captain2000

I was very disappointed with how they cared for my grandmother this past year and it was stressful to my family to deal with the staff. They always blamed my grandma for everything that happened. She had several falls last year and had to go to the hospital a couple of times. She also developed swelling and they hadn't been putting on her hose she was suppose to wear everday. Her memory problems made it hard for her to do things for herself and they weren't too kind or helpful when asked. Some staff were disrespectful to her and other patients. I got the impression that the aides really didn't know how to care for people with memory problems, they seemed to rush them. The food is really awful..tried to eat lunch there with her a couple times. Glad she is not there anymore!

November 08, 2014

By Destin Girl

While the facility and grounds are beautiful we found the care of our Mom did not match the surroundings. A few of the staff have been there for years, but there is a lot of staff turnover and they seem to have a high patient load. Weekends are frequently understaffed, especially at night. My mother didn't get much assistance and the staff seem to be offended if you ask for much help. Really seems more suited for people who are independent and need little assistance. Food is marginal unless you eat at the cafe which is not included in the monthly fee.

August 23, 2014

By 3638porkchop

This is an outstanding facility! It is beautiful and maintained with excellence. Their care for the residents is by far the best I have seen to date. You can sense the love and concern they share for each person, and this is displayed from the top management to the maintenance personnel. Our mother resides on Azalea Hall, which is reserved for people with memory care concerns. The Hawthorn House staff members have showered her with love, praise for the smallest of achievements, and tend very nicely to her daily needs. After a very bad experience at another, very exclusive, assisted living facility, our gratitude to Hawthorn House for their willingness to try and help us pick up the pieces of our mother's once lively life, even with the Alzheimer's, will be a hard debt to repay. Hawthorn House is a genuine blessing to our family!!!

August 01, 2013

By Heather8

At Hawthorne House, they seemed very professional and neat. I liked the separate wings and I think you'd get a little more attention because the impression I got was employees were assigned to a wing so they had less people to take care of. I liked that they had dining rooms in each wing and they also had a central one. They also had different little cafes so if people didn't want what was being served regularly, they could go there. They rooms had a sitting room and bedrooms.

Let Us Search For You

Save Money

Care

Save Stress

About Hawthorn House

Hawthorn House is an assisted living facility in Shalimar, FL that offers residents independent living options and daily support services. Contact Hawthorn House for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of Hawthorn House