Andara

11415 N 114th St., Scottsdale, AZ, 85259

Reviews of Andara

JGOTSLP May 11, 2016

I really liked Andara Senior Living. It was very nice, very clean, well set up, and welcoming. If I were going to send my mom to a place, it would be Andara. I liked the program of activities that they had for the residents because there was a lot of stuff to do. The apartments were nice, clean, spacious, and updated with modern kitchen appliances.

Linda, Caring Daughter June 14, 2015

After breaking her hip my mother required a stay in an assisted living facility. We had been concerned about her living alone and saw that she was becoming more socially isolated as she was driving less and many of her friends were in the same situation. We looked at facilities with an eye on transitioning from assisted to independent living within the same facility. I was really depressed after the first few facilities we toured. Yes, they were clean and the staff was pleasant, but they just had that "nursing home" feel.

Then we toured Andara. Even though it was almost brand new it was being renovated (this was during the transition from Arte to Andara). The facility looks more like a luxury resort than a Senior facility while maintaining a feeling of warmth. Every staff member we interacted with was courteous, professional, and caring. We couldn't sign the paperwork fast enough!

The first day Mom was in Assisted they sent an Ambassador" who took her to the beautiful dining room for lunch, sat her at her table and introduced her to her group of friends. That night I stopped by at 6:45 pm to visit thinking Mom would be back in her room since she went to dinner at 4:45. There she sat in the dining room with her table of friends, all of them smiling and chatting away. I left thinking it was good for her to socialize and went home with a smile on MY face.

Andara has in house PT and OT so mom was able to complete that without having to be transported elsewhere. The therapist was so caring and compassionate and constantly communicated with me. I voiced my concern that Mom needed to venture out a bit more and had encouraged her to go to the exercise classes on the days she didn't have therapy to no avail. Deanna the therapist picked up on this and told Mom she should go exercise on the off days. Guess who went the next day! Again, another opportunity to socialize.

When it came time to be released from Assisted we had a long "family council". Of course Mom hate the thought of giving up her home. But we asked her why she wanted to return to a life of eating alone everyday? We got her to just "look" at some apartments on the Independent side. When she saw how clean, modern and spacious they were she said she would "give it a try"!!

One year later we know we made the right choice. Mom is so happy there. The entire staff is so courteous and professional. They truly care about each resident. Andara is smaller than other facilities do it is easier to keep tabs on everyone. One I was concerned when I could not reach Mom by phone several times. I called the friendly front desk lady who assured me she had just seen Mom go by on her way to Bingo! That's another thing--Mom swore she had no interest in Bingo--now she goes to that every day! So between walking to 3 meals daily in the Dining room, Bingo upstairs daily and daily exercise she gets up and moves much more than she did at home. There are plenty of activities and field trips outside the facility to appeal to everyone. Residents can be as active as they desire.

Our final hurdle was getting Mom to surrender her car. Again, we urged her to just "try" the shuttle that takes residents to a different shopping facility each day. She loved it. Again, going with others as opposed to going alone. Much safer too which relieves her children. Andara also has a "limo" (actually a bright red Cadillac!) which can be scheduled to take Mom to doctor appointments when one of us is not available.

I cannot say enough kind things about Andara. I feel Mom is in a much better place socially, physically, and mentally than she was a year ago. Please tour this facility if you are looking for Senior Living for your loved one!

Richard107418450 June 01, 2015

The staff was very friendly at Andara, and the rooms were beautiful. They had outings and trips. They also had a pool and an exercise room.

Caring107699250 May 27, 2015

Andara is independent and assisted living. The room is beautiful, and they have a lot of activities. The biggest problem is they have a higher percentage of independent living than they do assisted living. At the time, they were not able to provide the level of care that my mother needed, but it is a very lovely facility. It is very good, and I really liked them. If they could have provided a higher level of care, I would have considered going there as well. It is very clean. I would recommend them, but it just depends on the level of care. Their care level wasn't high enough, but they were certainly very upfront about it. They didn't try to sell by saying they can take care of her. They just told me exactly what they can provide.

Anonymous106287550 May 08, 2015

Andara was a lovely place, but it was too expensive. It had everything that we wanted. It was very well done. The person who gave us the tour was lovely and caring.

Caring104341750 April 20, 2015

Andara Senior Living is beautiful. We were very satisfied that this will meet our needs. The food is delicious; the rooms are lovely.

Believeyoume February 09, 2015

Don’t judge a book by its cover definitely applies here! Food, services and attitude of management and management company is ridiculously poor. Complaints are ignored, there are many and they are legitimate. Don't be a victim, avoid this facility. Snowbirds, YOU WILL be disappointed!

I am disappointed to hear that you did not have a better experience while living at Andara. Our top priority is to deliver the best quality services and care for our residents. Please call me at (480) 862-8701, or e-mail at mtrzaskowski@seniorlifestyle.com, to share more information on why we did not meet your expectations and how we can improve the quality of our services going forward. I look forward to speaking with you. Mary Trzaskowski, Executive Director

Caring68704550 October 25, 2014

Everybody at Andara Senior Living was very nice to us. It’s just that they have one floor with 16 assisted-living suites, and they have only medtechs. They don’t have any aides, and the medtechs are not trained to do transfers. My husband is paralyzed on one side so he has to be transferred from chair to chair and chair to bed and chair to toilet. Still after 2 weeks, they had the physical therapist coming down to teach the medtechs how to get him in and out of his chair. She had not gotten to the beds yet and the girls nearly let him fall out of bed. That was when she told us we had to leave because it was obvious her girls didn’t know how to deal with him. We should have never moved there, but how would I know that they didn’t have aides trained to deal with my husband. I spent a lot of time and money furnishing his apartment and hiring somebody to move all his stuff there, and the lady who runs the assisted living part was very, very rude to us. She wanted us to leave the next day.

The rooms were fine. Their food was excellent, and their dining room was elegant. They had nice activities there as wel that were more attuned to the type of thing that my husband would enjoy.

Jean Marie1 July 31, 2014

The rooms that they showed us at Andara Senior Living were independent-living rooms more than assisted living. They have activities but the hallways were long. You had to park underneath in a garage. It just seemed more isolated and it was a darker atmosphere but it was nice.

They had prayer groups; they had exercise. They had bingo and they had outings. They were all going to go out to lunch one day so they had different outings. The food was good. Their meals were more scheduled. The dining room where we're at is open from 7:30 until 6 and was closed sometimes during the day between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner so they had to be at the meals when it was meal time. The staff showed us the rooms but I didn't think they were particularly accommodating.

Thank you for your review. As the Executive Director at Andara, I truly value your feedback. I am disappointed you did not have a better experience. While it sounds as if you toured an independent living apartment we also have assisted living apartments and services available. We are proud to deliver high quality services to both our independent and assisted living residents. I would like to personally invite you back to the community to join me for a complimentary lunch or dinner. Please feel free to call me at 480-862-8701 if you would be open to providing additional feedback or to schedule another visit.

Mary Trzaskowski, Executive Director

senioraz0674 October 01, 2011

I have only visited this facility a few times now and the feeling I get is that as a whole the facility seems to function smoothly without much chaos. The staff and the residents seem to mesh together very well and the residents look to be well taken care of and nurtured.

The decor and design of this facility is unlike anything I have seen before. The style is really modern but it still has this antiquated, dated-type of feel to it. It is a really cool facility. They have this copper-looking ceiling that looks very neat against the rest of decor, all of it is really neat. There is a lot of marble, metal, wood in the decor which makes it look kind of rough for an assisted living facility, but there is plush furniture and a lot of artwork which softens it up. It really looks more like a museum or spa than an assisted living facility, every time I am there I feel almost uncomfortable because I am always afraid to touch anything and I never see many residents in the common areas, so it makes me wonder if maybe they also feel the same way. The whole look is very extravagant, but not very "homey" or inviting.

The staff all seem to treat the residents equally and with respect, however when they have some down time, I usually see them chatting with one another, tidying up the facility, or messing with the decor rather than spending time with the residents or making rounds checking on the residents. It seems sometimes like they fuss over the furniture more than the residents, and I realize that they really care about the appearance of the facility, but sometimes it seems a bit ridiculous. I mean, when they are caring for the residents they are wonderful with them, and most of the time the residents have only good things to say about the staff, however, lately I have been hearing more complaints about different issues happening around the facility.

Usually when I talk to the residents I get a array of feedback, both good and bad, but this is pretty common when you have over 100 different residents with different situations and opinions. From what I've heard, I don't think there is anything that crucial that can't be rectified by the staff immediately. I have been complained to several times about issues with the rights of the residents being overlooked or ignored. While I have not actually seen these things happen, my loyalty is to the residents so if they say it's true I'm inclined to believe them. One of the issues was about decisions being made on the resident's behalf without them being consulted, another complaint was that a resident was being denied access to her administrative paperwork stating her costs, service fees and such. More than one resident told me that they were having problems with the staff invading their privacy, they said that the staff will walk right in to their apartments at times without knocking, or they will talk loudly about private resident issues where other residents and staff are able to overhear. The residents in this facility are independent and assisted living residents, so they are well enough to be entitled to some privacy. The staff should ALWAYS knock first before entering a residents apartment, there's no excuse for not knocking . Also the staff should be sensitive to private matters of the residents. They should never tell a resident personal issues about another resident, it is unethical.

A good thing about the facility is that there are many things for the residents to do to keep busy. There are lots of activities, outings, parties. The residents love when they have dances, they love music, so a lot of the activities and entertainment involve music of some kind. They have this limo bus that they go on field trips in, so many residents told me they love it, one resident told me he goes on some of the outings just so he can ride in the limo! Besides from all of the activities there are also several services and amenities that they can take advantage of.

The dining services at Arte are really great, the dining room is stunning and the staff there to assist the residents during mealtimes are very friendly and helpful. The chefs make these really cool looking dishes, when the plates come out of the kitchen they are very colorful and it really looks like art. I ordered this pasta dish they have and when it came out I kind of didn't want to eat it because I didn't want to mess it up! But I did, and it was so good! All of the ingredients taste so fresh and all of the dishes have some type of nutritional value and they cook using a lot of fruits and vegetables. I have had so many residents tell me that they get excited about mealtimes and that if they are hungry outside of those times, there are many readily available menu options for them to choose from. I see the chefs walking around all the time asking the residents what meals they would like to see on the menu, they seem to really take resident feedback, about the food anyways, seriously.

I think Arte is a sunning facility and I can tell they put a lot of time and focus into their appearance, still it doesn't matter how beautifully decorated the facility is if the quality of care is poor. Families interact with the staff, not the furniture, so the personalities of the staff and the service provided to the residents are what should be most important. There are some issues are Arte, but there are issues in every assisted living facility so what you have to determine is the severity of the issues and whether or not the staff take the issues seriously. I can say that after speaking to the staff about the complaints I received from the residents, they seemed to quickly resolve the issues and I have followed up with every resident who had complaints and they all said that the staff took care of them. SO to sum everything up, I believe that Arte is a facility worth checking out and I believe that the staff do their best to cater to each resident.

Emmyrose August 31, 2011

This a new facility one a half uears olf/ It is a gorgeous 3 story building set on eight acres. It appears as a beautiful resort with fountains and lush greenery, flowers, trees. Theu have walking trails,benches, patios. and shaded areas. The views are beautiful as well. It is not a secured facility therefore they only have independent and assisted with no memory care/dementia residents.

As you enter the lobby there is wonderful statues, furnishing, and great paintings.There is a fountain in center, a chandelier, and a sky bridge.

There are 15 assisted units that are studios with partial kitchens. They will decorate with choice of the silver or gold package. All are handicapped equipped with an emergency system.They are 450 to 550 square feet.

There is an RN on duty 5 days and on call. Some doctors come in . They have an activities directer, certified caregivers, The staff is very nice and caring. They have transport to appointments. They offer housekeeping and laundry services.

They have a beautiful formal dining room and a dining room on the assisted living as well. There is a variety of choices from a menu. They offer 3 meals and snacks.Food is delicious.

The have a library, fitness room, beauty salon and activity room.They have a sports lounge with flat screen and billiards and a room for Bridge and cards. They have a heated pool. They have a large state-of-art theater room.

They are big on axtivities offering exercise programs, current events, they have dances, socials, and many other activities. They go on outings for shopping, theater, restaurants, ball games and other events.

I loved this facility and staff.

From Andara

Senior assisted living at Andara offers residents the best of both worlds. All benefits of our senior living community are combined with a full spectrum of senior care services to create a premier senior assisted living community. Residents enjoy beautiful surroundings, on-site amenities and social programs alongside continual on-call medical care.

At Andara, we adhere to state-of-the-art standards of senior assisted living while providing a special touch. Our residents receive personal and comprehensive care and are consistently treated with the dignity and respect they deserve. Whether our residents need help with day-to-day activities, getting to appointments, or medication management, our caregivers kindly and competently meet those needs.

Our assisted living community in Scottsdale has been purposefully designed to provide you or your loved one with a nurturing, comfortable, home-like environment that is attractive and easy to navigate. We foster community and family by hosting many activities and events each month. Residents are encouraged to participate in as many pursuits and outings as they like, appropriate to their ability. No matter what, everyone is treated as an individual person with unique needs.

At Andara, our residents live life to its fullest as they age in place.

Assisted Living Amenities

• Personalized Care Plans
  • 24-hour Staffing
  • Emergency Response System
  • Scheduled transportation to local shopping and medical appointments
  • Award winning Wellness Everyday™ programs, provided 7 days a week
  • Dining for Wellness™ - educational and wellness program
  • Brain Health University™
  • Beauty & Barber Shop
  • Housekeeping and maintenance service
  • All utilities and basic cable included
  • Individually controlled heat and central air
  • Fresh, seasonal cuisine prepared by the dining service team

Spectacular mountain views - 1920’s-1930’s art deco décor - Outstanding amenities: plush movie theater that features a different movie nightly - underground, secure parking - community located less than 4 miles from the Mayo Clinic and Scottsdale Healthcare Shea - Winter Visitor and Limited Stay Programs

Features of Andara

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency call system
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Physical therapy

• Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• Pool
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Fitness room/Gym, W/D in apt

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class, Brain Health University™

• Private services

• We charge an entry fee

• Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 62

• Licenses: Assisted Living Certification
  • State License(s): AL7963

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Andara