Heron House

3221 Fruitville Rd., Sarasota, FL, 34237

Reviews of Heron House

Jean Cavanaugh January 23, 2016

I was very impressed with Heron House in every respect. The thing that most impressed me was, how friendly and caring the staff is, and also so many of the residents came over to say "hi". The rooms are wonderful, the dining room so bright and cheerful, if really invites you to want to sit down and have a meal. My friend was a resident there for only a short time, but he loved it. Because I loved my friend like a brother, and because Heron House was so good to him, I am going to be a volunteer there, in hopes of making other residents happy.

Thank all of you at Heron House!!!!!

Anonymous117166550 November 30, 2015

Heron House was a little older. They were very friendly and outgoing and had their activities in the center when you walk in. It was a little too far away, so I don't think it was the right place for my mom. It was fine and looked very nice.

Sanford M. October 29, 2015

I almost wish I had gone into Heron House. To me, it looked well-kept with fine people running it. The lady who showed me around was very impressive. As far as I could see, it was clean and looked like the people were friendly to each other, so I was impressed with it. It’s closer to where I live, which is the biggest factor. I saw their dining area, which looked very good.

darchel February 12, 2015

I just didn't like certain features of Heron House. The staff seemed OK. I really didn't get to know them since I was just there with a marketing director. The place is physically lovely although I don't think I want to recommend this place. I think there is too much open access to a busy street at the front.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and review our community. I am so glad that you thought the community was lovely, although we are disappointed to hear that you have some concerns. Our community is located on Fruitville Road in Sarasota, Florida and is tucked back in a peaceful, wooded area, so I can assure you that every staff member and resident is safe at our community. I’d like to invite you to come back to tour our community and have a complimentary lunch with myself, and I can show you all the great amenities and services our community offers. Feel free to reach out to me directly at your earliest convenience. Edie Emerald-Barsch, Executive Director, 941-955-7575, eemerald-barsch@seniorlifestyle.com

Benita1 December 05, 2014

Heron House was a nice, little place. I liked the fact that they had information, and they answered questions openly and honestly, the place was nice and clean, people seemed very happy there, it wasn't overly huge, and the price was reasonable. Even though it wasn't upscale per se, I think that for the money it would have cost if we moved my mother down, I really liked the Heron House because it wasn't very luxurious. What I was impressed with was that it was very clean, it was cheery and very bright, and it was laid out in a manner that seemed like the residents could get around pretty easily. The apartment was very inviting, and they tried to make it look very tropical, very comfortable and homey. They were clean, they were on top of things, and people seemed upbeat, so that made a difference, and financially it was more realistic. The management director I spoke with was very, very knowledgeable and very open about information; she showed me anything that I asked and gave me more information that I'd asked for upfront because she helped me with some other information that I wasn't really aware of, and that was a great help. She went out of her way to make sure that I could see anything and everything that I wanted. Apparently, every resident that we came across, she knew them by name, and this mattered to me -- that the facility was more on top of things and where people were living; it didn't make somebody feel like they are an inmate.

Eda1 February 28, 2014

I chose Heron House for my husband because they are willing to take him in. On my first visit there, it appears to be clean even though it is an old place as it is over than 20 years old. The staff who help the residents are available. They seem to handle them quite well. They don't question, they just help. Also, when I talked to the director, I noticed that many people are there for many years. So, they don't have a large turnover in reference to the residents. The person who is taking care of the memory unit seems to be very patient and compassionate person.

So far, they are taking good care of him even though I know my husband is a difficult person, especially when it comes to his personal care. They are trying to keep him clean as he will allow them to. The food is nothing outrageous but it is fine. My husband is in a private room large enough for him. I don't think they had many activities in the memory unit but they have activities in the assisted living. If they have activities, they have to take them out because the entrance door to the memory unit is locked. However, they usually watch movie and when I come there I usually take my husband out to the courtyard. They have a little garden with a sitting area and it is pretty.

I think the only biggest problem that I have is that the stuff that I bring to him would end up missing. I brought some beautiful towels for him when he moved in and those towels disappeared. I even put his names on those towels and even though I described the towels, they are not able to find them. Same as with his socks, they just disappeared. I could see that they are using linens in his bed, some that I bring and some that they have on their own.

Thank you for your response. We appreciate the time you took to give us both positive and constructive feedback on Heron House. We are proud of our dedicated staff that is committed to delivering excellent service and care to our residents. We greatly attribute our low resident turnover to our amazing team. We do offer extensive programs designed specifically for residents in our memory care neighborhood. We would like to find out more about your husbands interests to see if we can more actively engage him in the programs. Additionally, we want to find out what we can do to more closely monitor your husbands personal belongings. In order to improve his experience we welcome you to contact Karen Arway, Executive Director, directly at 941-955-7575

Caring76938150 February 28, 2014

Heron House was one of the top ones on my list. They were very nice. The gentleman that spoke with took me on a really nice tour and gave me a lot of information. They were very detailed and very helpful. The rooms were fine, because I'm used to about the same size for my mom. And that's all they need. They have lots of activities. They do have a chapel there on site, so that was really nice, too. But I think the memory care unit could be more inviting. It could be maybe decorated a little better.

Hank3 February 24, 2014

I walked through Heron House and it's a nice facility. The place is nice and clean. It's well kept. The rooms were nice; it’s just like a small apartment. If my father would need to go there, I would feel comfortable putting him there. I know they have a list of activities, but I don’t recall what exactly they were.

Thank you so much for taking time to stop by Heron House. We appreciate your kind words about our community. We take great pride in keeping Heron House clean and comfortable for our residents. We are glad that you think the rooms are nice. If you are looking for a more spacious apartment we also offer larger one bedroom/2 bathroom apartments. Our residents truly enjoy the variety of programs we have to offer at Heron House. Located near downtown Sarasota and the beaches, our residents enjoy going fishing at the local piers, shopping or to one of the many wonderful museums that are a stone’s throw away. Other activities include painting, bingo, social hours filled with entertainers and exercise classes. We are gearing up for some more trips to see some Spring Training teams in action as well as cheering on the Rays baseball team. We invite you and your dad to stop by for lunch anytime. Additionally, if he would like to experience a resident program or spend a few hours with us, please call us and we will gladly make arrangements. I would also be happy to send you a Program Calendar so you can see in more detail what we offer on a daily basis. Again, thank you so much for your feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to serve your loved one.

– Edie Emerald-Barsch, 941-955-7575, DSM

Thelma L August 14, 2013

I moved into Heron House two months ago. Mt apartment is beautiful and face the garden area which is home to many birds. I was nervous about making friends but it was easy to meet people and my neighbors are nice. My favorite things are the card games, fishing at the local piers and the food committee. The staff is kind and they work hard. I am glad that I am here because I feel safe.

From Heron House

Senior assisted living at Heron House offers residents the best of both worlds. All benefits of our senior living community are combined with a full spectrum of senior care services to create a premier senior assisted living community. Residents enjoy beautiful surroundings, on-site amenities and social programs alongside continual on-call medical care.

At Heron House, we adhere to state-of-the-art standards of senior assisted living while providing a special touch. Our residents receive personal and comprehensive care and are consistently treated with the dignity and respect they deserve. Whether our residents need help with day-to-day activities, getting to appointments, or medication management, our caregivers kindly and competently meet those needs.

Our assisted living community in Sarasota has been purposefully designed to provide you or your loved one with a nurturing, comfortable, home-like environment that is attractive and easy to navigate. We foster community and family by hosting many activities and events each month. Residents are encouraged to participate in as many pursuits and outings as they like, appropriate to their ability. No matter what, everyone is treated as an individual person with unique needs.

At Heron House, our residents live life to its fullest as they age in place.

Assisted Living Amenities

• Personalized Care Plans
  • 24-hour Staffing
  • Emergency Response System
  • Scheduled transportation to local shopping and medical appointments
  • Award winning Wellness Everyday™ programs, provided 7 days a week
  • Dining for Wellness™ - educational and wellness program
  • Brain Health University™
  • Beauty and Barber Shop
  • Housekeeping and maintenance service
  • All utilities and basic cable included
  • Individually controlled heat and central air
  • Fresh, seasonal cuisine prepared by the dining service team

newly renovated memory care community that is secured and it is connected to our outdoor garden area___ Accept Medicaid___ Our residents can choose to live in a wide variety of apartment styles ranging from companion suites to private studios with a kitchenette to garden view one bedroom apartments___ Pet Friendly___ located near downtown Sarasota and is close to many award winning beaches in Sarasota including Siesta Key which is a short 10 minute drive from our community

Features of Heron House

• Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Psychiatric care
  • Physical therapy
  • Hospice care

• General store
  • Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi

• We charge an entry fee
  • Minimum memory care rate: $3,400/month

• Staff patient ratio: 15-1 AL 8-1 Memory Care
  • We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 62

• Licenses: Standard License

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Heron House