Brookdale Phillippi Creek

5501 Swift Road, Sarasota, FL, 34231

Reviews of Brookdale Phillippi Creek

December 02, 2014

By Benita1

What I wasn't impressed about Emeritus at Sarasota was that when I asked questions, they didn't have any answers. They were taking me on a tour of the facility and we were approaching where they had the dining area -- the major dining room -- there was this huge leak from the roof, and there was water all over the floor. Nobody was cleaning it up, and there wasn't any kind of marker -- nothing in there. Those were all seniors, and a lot of people had already gathered or were sitting and waiting to go into the dining room, and this water was almost at their ankles. I don't care what they do to fix it up, but that kind of showed a lack of attention. To me, it showed this was not the place that I would want to continue dealing with. I would never consider bringing my relative there because that to me is a lack of maintenance or paying attention. The staff was very nice, but they said they were in transition, so they didn't really have a lot of answers, but I didn't feel that it was a good enough excuse. There are people who are still living there, so you need to know what is going on every single day. If I was living there and the place was bought by another company because it was falling apart, it says that they were going to be fixing it, fine. But each day whoever is working there should be on top of what was going on, and if you wouldn't have the answers for me every day about what was going on, then that is not a place that I would recommend to anyone.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your concerns. We are sorry the community did not meet your expectations. We are committed to continuous quality care and will share your feedback with our maintenance team to address the issues you have raised to ensure the safety and happiness of our residents and their guests.

September 22, 2014

By Speaking the truth

I was shocked when I realized the poor level of care given to residents of the DCU at Emeritus Swift Road. Staff to patient ratio was often 1:11, residents went largely unsupervised but for scheduled activity periods and meal times. They were often allowed to roam into others' room, and I once found someone in the bed of my husband, who was then a resident (until we brought him home). Residents were overly medicated, food was terrible (certainly not the "restaurant style" they advertise. I ate meals there with my husband to see what he was experiencing so this is not an idle comment. The DON non-responsive to concerns. I once came across an elderly woman in a wheelchair late at night. She had been left in the dining room of the DCU, had fallen asleep in her wheelchair and spilled a cup of coffee all over herself. I notified the staff but she was still there an hour later. My husband had things stolen from his room, there would often be wet towels on his bathroom floor when I arrived in the late afternoon, and no one helped him to shave for days at a time. One evening, I put a sign on his bathroom door that said, "Free shaves," and 8 men lined up to be shaved. They were all embarrassed at the poor condition of their hygiene. If I had to give an over-riding statement of the level of care residents received while my husband was at Emeritus, mercifully a brief 4 weeks, it would be to say that residents were treated with a shocking lack of respect or dignity. My strong recommendation is to avoid this facility at all costs.

June 10, 2014

I visited Emeritus very much. I thought the room was perfect. It was lovely and neat. The whole facility was very nice. However, my brother didn't like that they couldn't take him with his hover around, and they told him that he wouldn't be able to take it to the dining room or use it inside the building. It was kind of insulting to him.

March 27, 2014

By Patricia78509350

Emeritus at Sarasota was nice. I liked the rooms. I also liked the staff. They seemed a little more laid back and not pushy. They were just very nice, helpful, and friendly.

March 23, 2014

By Sophiecindi

It is a very clean place. My mother lived there when Kim N was the administrator and Carol P was the director of nursing. Care suffered after Carol left. My mother has since passed. I still recommend it over several other Sarasota assisted livings.

February 13, 2014

By Jack19

Emeritus is a very nice place. The unit is small enough for my mom and they gave me an all-inclusive price. My mom is in the dementia unit and so there’s not a lot of activities going on. They could do with a little more staff.

December 31, 2013

By Aileen82061050

I liked everybody in Emeritus and the place is very nice and clean. Everybody seemed real happy there and my mother feels really comfortable there.

November 19, 2013

By sarasotanative

First, the staff there were so helpful with helping me decide where to place my mom. they took the time to help me make decisions on what kind of place i should be looking for. She was very adamant about not wanting to move into an "Old Folks Home" but when she visited they were so prepared for her. the food was amazing and the staff were all involved in talking and helping us feel welcomed into the community. They helped with all our worries by talking through they whole transition process and who all would be involved in my moms transition. They stated that gave better care than anyone in the industry because of the systems and processes they have in place and after them showing to me how it all worked we were convinced that this was the place for my mom!

July 25, 2013

By Greg5

I went to Emeritus at Sarasota but I wasn't quite impressed with the people there. It wasn't quite as friendly I guess. The person who did the tour was a chef and it looked like she was just shelved into the process.

July 11, 2013

My mother-in-law was living at the Emeritus in Sarasota for four years before she moved in with us. It was a good facility, but it costs too much money. The facility itself was nice, but the staff was not as nice in the beginning, so they had a change in staff. The service just declined in the last four years, the prices went up, and it has had a constant change in staff. My mother-in-law herself was mentioning that she doesn't want to stay there anymore, so we took her out. She wasn't given the treatment that she was supposed to get. One time she had a urinary tract infection and they didn't even contact us, they just took her to the hospital. They need to improve their staff.

June 09, 2012

By patty3

It was very nice there. I had gone in and met with Elizabeth N. She was very nice and took me on a tour, showed me the sample apartment and went over rates. She also showed me the restaurant and everything else they got there. She was so accommodating. We also saw a few staff there said hello to the residents, they seemed to be well-liked. The residents there seemed to be okay. I like that the facility looked very homey. It was very warm and inviting. It seemed very clean. I didn't get to taste the food but that time the residents were eating supper and it smelled delicious in there!

Photos of Brookdale Phillippi Creek

Features of Brookdale Phillippi Creek

About Brookdale Phillippi Creek

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #7102