Brookdale Colonial Park

4730 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota, FL, 34233

Reviews of Brookdale Colonial Park

Rex3 June 11, 2015

Brookdale Colonial Park was actually our second choice. The rooms were just too small. They were very friendly. All the Brookdale people that we met were very friendly and very helpful. The only difference was the size of the room. The dining setup is the same as almost all assisted living. The rooms are very small, and the walk-in closet is about the same size as the bedroom area. You can get a single bed and a chair in there, but that was about it. It was like a closet. As for activities, it is fairly much all the same. Brookdale operates on the same concept with all of their properties. They have a theme of the month or location of the month. We saw the activities were very similar. We wanted our mother involved in activities and keeping her busy so she wouldn't sleep during the day time. They need renovations and re-look at the size of their room for what it costs. They were adding a couple of things, but it needs to be kept up with the contemporary look versus the old country look. The people were great, but the setting was just outdated. It needs renovations.

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to share your thoughts about our community. We realize that our rooms are smaller than many expect. Most of our residents are downsizing, which can be a difficult transition. They do not as many items in our setting, as we provide many items and activities!

Anonymous102731550 April 22, 2015

We had lived in Emeritus at Colonial Park, and it was an excellent facility. It was much larger than the other facility we had lived in. They had an Alzheimer’s division. The staff was extremely professional and caring. They had exercise activities. They also had professional people come in to entertain us. The food was very good for institutional food. The dining room was well decorated. Security was good.

Cheryl100479750 January 17, 2015

The first time I visited Emeritus at Colonial Park was in October, and the second time was last week. It was very impressive when you enter. They had a hostess that was very welcoming, and the people were pleasant. The front foyer area was very pleasant, and it had a very good smell. The staff that accommodated us was wonderful. She was outstanding, helpful, answered a lot of questions, and gave me recommendations making certain that my parents had a couple of choices. I also liked that one because they have a social group of World War II veterans that meet once a week and have lunch together. My father would very much enjoy that companionship. There were people eating and looking at the library, and once a month, they have a speaker come in. My parents are very picky eaters, and since I was there in October, my parents didn't like everything that they delivered, but the food is in the process of changing where they'll have some choices each day on the menu.

gulftobay November 22, 2014

I cannot express how homey and warm this place felt from the moment I stepped inside....The staff was exceptionally nice and made up for the "dated" decor. They were quick to meet my friends needs along with how I felt about visiting there. I feel SO confident that my friend is looked after and in a secure environment! The food was great too!!!! My friend loves Chef "Bob"! Thank you for having the quaint and loving place you have created for the elderly and meeting all their needs to be the last home they will know... :)

Caring86677250 October 19, 2014

We are already settling in a new place. We have chosen Emeritus at Colonial Park. We chose this place because of the location. It just looks very nice. The people are friendly. It is clean and very nice. The outside is very pretty. There are Wii bowling, Wii golf, chair volleyball, poker, bingo, keno, and trips. If you have to go to the doctor, the bank, or the grocery store, they have a bus to go there. Overall, they're very good. They serve three meals a day. I'm very much satisfied with the services that they have.

Caring93623650 September 26, 2014

My parents have been in Emeritus for about 2 ½ years. We chose it initially because it was close to where my parents had been living and they wanted to stay in the same area. I think the physical facility is fine. They have a 1-bedroom unit with a living room, a private bath and a little kitchenette area. It’s very attractive. That hasn’t been a source of complaint at all. The quality of the food and the food service has gone downhill in the last year and just in the last few months, it seems as though the staff services have really deteriorated.

Caring80726350 March 29, 2014

My mom has already been moved into the Emeritus at Colonial Park. She likes the openness of the living areas. The common areas were all very open and look nice. She has a one-bedroom apartment that is very roomy, lovely, and clean. She likes the people whom she sees on a daily basis, nothing more than that. She had lunch once before she moved in, and she said the food was fine. They seem to be always trying to find ways to charge you extra for things, and I think it is probably just because it is a corporate-run assisted living. But we live less than two miles away, and they wanted to charge us $800 a month to have someone on standby when she is taking a shower and for someone to give her meds, when we can manage her meds and we can stand by if she needs somebody there. They were quick to want to charge us that, instead of talking to us about alternatives, but they were also fine with us taking care of those things.

Carol81664850 March 28, 2014

My mother and I visited Colonial Park several times. Mom chose another place because she has friends there, but we both had a nice impression of CP. The overriding feeling is one of comfort and friendliness among residents and staff. Julie, our tour guide extraordinaire, was wonderful. The facility is all on one floor, which one resident told us she loved since she didn't have to wait for elevators. I think those who live at the end of the long hallways might have a slight problem. The dining room and the food were excellent. My mom liked the library and beauty salon also. The décor is a bit dated, but I'm not sure the residents see that as a priority. The lobby is spacious and well-used. If I were to change one thing, it would be to make the central courtyard more attractive. All in all, though, after visiting several facilities, my mom would have been very happy to move to Colonial Park.

Patricia78509350 March 27, 2014

I liked Emeritus at Colonial Park. I thought it was a nice facility. I looked at the dementia unit for my mother, and I thought the staff and rooms were both nice. I liked that they don't just keep the dementia patients in a locked area. They had a dining program called the "bridge program" where they had some of the dementia patients dine out with their regular assisted living patients.

Caring75564750 February 25, 2014

Emeritus had good people and staff. The rooms and dining area were adequate. They had single bedrooms with a living area and a small kitchen but we were looking for rooms for two for my parents. They had grounds to walk on but no pool.

Caring73725650 January 31, 2014

Emeritus at Colonial Park was terrible. I would never put my dog in that place. My friend was there for over two years. She was falling all the time while she was there. If she would go for days without eating because she wasn't feeling good, they couldn't even check on her. They didn't clean her room right. There was mold in the room. I kept complaining about the mold in the room. Also her refrigerator didn't work half the time. One time I went into her room and there was a pill cup with pills in it that's on the counter. She was in the assisted living and she's not supposed to have any meds in her room. I found out that they weren't even her pills; they were somebody else's. That was dangerous. Some of the staff was very good though. The food there was good too.

Caring66891650 October 11, 2013

Emeritus was really my first choice but my wife fell and broke her back and her mind went very rapidly after that. She couldn't make it in assisted living anymore so we had to get skilled nursing care. I saw the rooms, the activities and the people there. The room was spacious and very comfortable-looking with very convenient bathrooms and they had a lockdown procedure. I was very impressed with them.

Larry19 September 27, 2013

My dad is at Emeritus at Colonial Park. He has been there for about a week and a half now. We likes it because the facility is only one floor. There were no elevators and the place was very nice. The staff were also very good.

Amiya July 30, 2013

Emeritus at Colonial Park was very good. The staff was very friendly. They showed me their rooms, which were spacious and the different choices and I really liked that.

Caring1889 March 29, 2013

Emeritus at Colonial Park was near my house, so I visited the facility. I read it in a senior book and it also had a memory care unit. The place was pleasant. The staff all seemed amiable and available. The living room was well-furnished with pictures of the veterans who lived there. The rooms were clean and well-kept.

Caring244357 June 05, 2012

We chose this facility because they accept Medicaid and VA. It is located right off a big intersection and that made it very convenient. The buildings are colonial style bricked and very spread out. There are numerous palm trees and shady areas around. My mom lives in a one room apartment which is big enough for her. There's a living room, a bathroom, a small kitchenette and a refrigerator which she really likes. She eats her meals in the dining room together with the other residents.

The personnel are really friendly, welcoming, caring and able to assist anytime. They pay attention to her requests. For instance, she requested for special bars in her bathroom and they readily accommodated her. Furthermore, they provide entertainment like memory care. However, they could provide better service to their clients if they communicate more to family members.

My mother is doing well in this place. She said everybody is taking good care of her. She feels this is her "home".

Anna2 April 05, 2012

I visited Emeritus at Colonial Park when my mother was a caregiver there. It was beautifully arranged and the staff was incredibly courteous. The menu for their daily mealtimes was very nice and also quite delicious. I was able to enjoy playing the grand piano for a small audience of permanent residents. I also took a tour of the facility and found various activities including painting and an exciting game of cards going on. The rooms were very spacious and the decor was pleasant to look at. It was a very open feeling walking down the halls and you could always hear someone laughing about something. The staff was so nice, not just to me, but also to those who lived there. The feeling that everyone is being taken care of was evident in how the nurses and staff promptly answered questions I had and showed me what the daily routines were. Overall, I would definitely recommend this facility to anyone looking into assisted living.

From Brookdale Colonial Park

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #7439

Features of Brookdale Colonial Park

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency Call System
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Physical therapy

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Fitness room/Gym

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• Private services

• We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 65

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

• State License(s): 7439