Brookdale San Pablo

13956 San Pablo Avenue, San Pablo, CA, 94806

Reviews of Brookdale San Pablo

January 13, 2016

By Donna118324550

Brookdale San Pablo was nice, well kept, and clean The staff was accommodating, and the security was fine. I would recommend them, except they don’t have memory care. My folks need memory care.

December 22, 2015

By Marcella3

My original visit at Brookdale, they were not prepared for me, but they quickly made an effort and gave an impromptu tour, and I just wanted to see what the facility looked like. The activities director contacted me via email and asked if I would like to come back for more formal interview so that I could see inside some of the rooms, and I did. She was very helpful, very friendly, very informative, and very knowledgeable. That was really where I wanted my dad, and hopefully when it was time for me to move him, there will be a place available there. The rooms were spacious.

October 28, 2015

The apartments are nice. My sister has a two-room apartment, and they remodeled it before she moved in -- new carpeting and laminate flooring in the hallways and painted it. It is a nice apartment; I don't have any objections to that. My sister is a diabetic and a vegetarian, so she has to order off a special menu, and sometimes she has trouble getting them to do it. I think it is a matter of getting used to their system. They want her to order in advance if she wants something different because they just provide two entrees with each meal, and if you don't want that, then they want you to fill out a form and jot down what you want. She has memory problems and forgets to do that. It is adequate. The staff all seems very friendly. I've had some problems with the med-techs. They give medication to my sister, and their system seems to be a little chaotic and unsupervised, though I hear they are getting a new nurse. Right now, they don't have a nurse; they just have med-techs. I think when you are giving medication to patients, especially hands-on, they need to have supervision, at least an LPN or an RN, and they haven't had one for a while. They say that they are getting one. It is secure; they watch and don't let her go out by herself. Once, they took her somewhere and dropped her off, which they shouldn't have done due to her memory problems. She forgot they were coming back for her and couldn't remember where she lives, and she got lost. They have corrected that, and now they watch her closely after I've explained that she can't go out by herself. They have to have a staff member with her, but the result has been she doesn't go out because they don't have enough staffing. It is a change, and she is not very happy there because she can't go out. They have activities. She just doesn't like any of them. She is very depressed, and that is her attitude right now. She isn't happy with the place at all, but the main reason that she moved to Brookdale San Pablo was that it's much cheaper than where she came from previously.

October 19, 2015

By Brenda112878450

We were able to visit Brookdale San Pablo and the staff was very helpful to us. We saw the rooms and it was good. They do have different activities like book clubs and many more. We were satisfied with the tour and we would use it, but we are just waiting for my mother to decide.

September 30, 2015

My grandmother is at Brookdale San Pablo for about two months now. The staff is nice and they are attentive even though she is still sad trying to adjust. They try to make her feel comfortable.

September 30, 2015

I'm currently in Brookdale San Pablo (Formerly Emeritus at Creekside Lodge). The food is lousy and unhealthy, and we're severely understaffed. The whole building is 40 years old and it's gone through several different companies. The company that we are under right now, Brookdale, had been fined quite a bit by the State of California because they have not been doing things according to the rules and regulations by the community licensing board. They've been cutting back so much so bad. Since I've been here for 2½ years or so, we've gone through our fourth nurse. Our last nurse has only been here for three months. The building is never fixed right at all either and it is really old. They have severe mold and mildew issues. For the last seven months, we've had an infestation of cockroaches. It used to be senior retirement/assisted living then when Brookdale came over, it became assisted living on paper, but three-quarters of the people here that they're letting come in for the sake of money is severe memory care and skilled nursing. We have a lot of people who are very ill and who need constant diaper changes, so the whole place stinks and it's really bad. I wouldn't even let my worst enemy come here. We had a pretty good activities director and then she left to go to a better job. We've got a new one who had never done this job before and he was terrible at it. We just lost our executive director and we don't have an activities director right now either. We have an assistant doing stuff and she's nice and she knows how to do this job, but she only works two days a week.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us is not meeting your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and hope you will call us at 877-400-5296 or email us at familyconnection@brookdale.com to discuss your concerns in greater detail.

April 07, 2015

Brookdale San Pablo is nice. I have a little communication problem like getting in touch with people, but that is the only thing I am going through right now. The staff seems to be OK. They keep the place nice and clean. The food seems to be OK.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We would welcome an opportunity to discuss any concerns you may have and hope you will call us at 877-400-5296.

February 10, 2015

Emeritus at Creekside Lodge seemed wonderful, but it wasn't appropriate for my husband because he was too sick at that point to be in assisted living. The staff is a terrific woman that took me on the tour and showed me everything. She even tried to put me in touch with the VA guy. The place is really terrific. I can imagine if you can do assisted living, it is a phenomenal place to be. The rooms are beautiful, and I should live so nicely in mine. The bedroom is very large, and the place is really clean, bright, and airy. I am very impressed with the facility. They have very nice activities like bingo, movies, and two different dining rooms. It is very nice.

February 10, 2015

By Jada2

She is in Emeritus at Creekside Lodge. She loves it, so it seems to be a good fit. She has a private room, she shares a space there with another lady, and they are very nice. They have movie nights, trivia, bingo, and they have exercise daily. Emeritus is a wonderful place, and I believe my sister is going to be happy there.

January 19, 2015

By Barbara97488250

My biggest consideration in choosing Emeritus at Creekside Lodge was the cost and how close it is to my home. I am very happy with the care and attention my father is getting here. He is making adjustments. He is not 100% satisfied, but he is living on his own in his own house. I think it's a big adjustment. I think he is participating in a couple of the activities, but that's not because the facility does not have that available. That's just his choice. I actually haven't tried having a meal with him. But I know that it is something he does look forward to because he always carries the menu in his pocket. He shares with us what the next meals are and the specific one he's looking forward to. I haven't come across any problem where we had to confront the staff and them having no ability to answer. The other thing I really like about Emeritus at Creekside was that every time I go there, before our visits and up to now when I see my dad, there's people that gather in the lobby socializing and reading. They are not all hidden away in their rooms. It seems that they go out and interact with one another. I really liked that.

November 22, 2014

By Winnie3

This is a wonderful facility. The staff were warm and friendly. I even encounter one resident that showed us his room. 5 stars to everyone there. I also wanted to comment Sophi. She was very helpful and understanding. She made sure that everything went smooth for us. Thank you Sophi!! Thank you to caring.com for having this web site and for CARING!!

November 11, 2014

Emeritus was fine as well as the rooms but they didn’t have enough care facilities available. They basically just took me around the facility, showed me the rooms and everything as the facility. It seemed to be a nice facility; it just didn’t fit what I needed but I would recommend the facility.

September 11, 2014

My brother has been in Emeritus for a week now, and we like it. It’s just up a street from us, so we sort of already knew about it, but so far it seems good. They’ve been very welcoming. They remembered that it was his birthday and are attentive. The room is nice. There were a few glitches just before he moved in, and the maintenance guy came right away and fixed everything.

August 14, 2014

By Charles48

Emeritus is a very nice place, very clean, great staff, reasonably priced, recently bought out, but no changes seen at this point. I've been very delighted with them for almost a year now. They make great coffee. Two amenities that I think are really great are they have some daily or regular exercises that everyone can do together, even if it's just throwing the ball around from person to person, and they have a type of a trivia contest. They have things for memory where you roll a number and you have to come up with that amount of number out of a particular category. So if you get 12, you have to come up with 12 answers out of a category. It's really cool. But also they have a van circumstance where the van takes people around on a regular basis where they go up into the hills or just drive across the bridge, just for something fun to do. Those are two things that I like. I have good feelings towards effectively almost everybody. That's the atmosphere that I get. The patients are generally, 80 to 90% of the time, calm and reasonable. But they're content, they're warm, they're fed, they're taken care of. Their response time to patients' needs is very good.

July 19, 2014

By Bev M.

I like the grand lobby at Emeritus at Creekside Lodge. They have a really nice piano. The activity room was very nice. They have a large backyard, lawn, and patio with plenty of room for family picnics and barbecues. They have nice apartments. They have several libraries in the building, at least a library on every floor. Everything looks perfect.

May 11, 2014

I was really, really impressed with Emeritus at Creekside Lodge. There was a young lady who showed me around, and she was very enthusiastic, very caring. I liked the way that the staff, the caregivers, related to the people who were there and the residents were quite friendly. I got the impression that it was quite a special place. There was a mix of people from all different walks of life together in this particular neighborhood, and they got along quite well, so I was pleased.

April 21, 2014

By Eric11

I thought Emeritus was excellent. It looked very comfortable and clean. The staff looked good in terms of the care that they were providing.

October 17, 2013

By June9

One of my friends is very happy living in Emeritus. The staff seems friendly and the facility is very nice. The rooms seem adequate. The food is fine. I am recommending them to others.

September 10, 2013

By Sylvia10

What's really nice about Emeritus Creekside is it has a really nice garden. It's next to a creek, there are a lot of trees, and you can sit down on the grass. It's a nice facility. The property is very well kept. The staff was fine, too. I thought the location is a lot closer to the city which means that there will be a lot more environmental issues.

August 28, 2013

By Shelia2

I liked the staff there and the follow-up. I liked the interaction between the patients and the staff. The rooms were nice and everything seemed fine. But they didn't have an Alzheimer's unit.

August 24, 2013

By Bollweivil

No smell in lobby, but sleeping people scattered in front entrance. Salesman engaging and promising ease in opening up rooms, can change into assisted program from independent program without moving rooms. Not much in way of activities offered. Building off San Pablo Ave, but not near much shopping.

August 12, 2013

By Phony Bilingual

I was impressed with the lovely decor. Rooms are nicely furnished and do not have an "institutional" feeling to them. Dining room also lovely and food exceeded MY expectations. I was received in a friendly, warm manner by the staff. They provide transportation and it is not at all far from Berkeley that has many cultural and shopping venues.

April 17, 2013

By Elizabeth15

I loved Emeritus. I think it's a lovely facility and community. It's roomy; you wouldn't have to be stuck in your apartment all day when you could go to one of the living rooms. There's one on every floor plus the outside area. The facility appears neat, clean and very livable. When I was there, the residents were either in their rooms or downstairs listening to music from a visiting band or there was one guy doing craftwork. Those that were out and about all seemed to be quite happy. Also, it's nice that they could get their own wheelchair to get to their own post office box. I thought that was great. Emeritus is easy to get to off the main freeway. I would love to see my mother there but we have to come up with a pretty good amount of money to make that happen. I would absolutely recommend this facility.

August 22, 2012

By Bobv1lla

My family member seems to be happy with the independence that she is able to enjoy. It is terribly difficult to get a straight answer from anyone though when it comes to logistical issues because there is not really one person who sets the pace for things. There are many other seniors in the facility that my family member is able to communicate with and it seems as though they are forming close bonds. I am not quite sure what the future is going to hold but I imagine that this will continue to be a pretty successful experience. This place is super expensive though, and I am not quite sure that we are really getting the money's worth, but if my family is happy, then I am happy too, because that is all that really matters in the end. I am not sure if I feel confident about everything though.

Photos of Brookdale San Pablo

• Activities Extra: Computer Class

• Licenses: 075600298

About Brookdale San Pablo

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

What makes us unique is our volunteer group of Resident Ambassadors; these caring individuals assist those in transition by showing them around the Community, sitting down with them for a few meals, and connecting them with others who reside at the Community. LIke those in transition, these volunteers can empathize with them by giving them the support and individualized attention necessary during this process.

Map of Brookdale San Pablo