Atria Hillsdale

2883 South Norfolk Street, San Mateo, CA, 94403

Reviews of Atria Hillsdale

Richard116175750 December 15, 2015

I have seen Atria, and I was very interested there. However, it’s in a very busy area. The facility inside seemed okay, and the people seemed to be alright. The rooms are clean and nice. The activities were similar to the other places.

A Caring Daughter3 November 10, 2015

We like Atria Hillsdale. I like what they did, and it was a nice place. However, it is an older place that needs updating. That's the only bad thing. The rooms were little small but were nice and clean. The guy running it and his staff were very, very nice and thorough. The dining area looked nice.

Kim101278850 July 29, 2015

I visited Atria, and the Atria people were all pleasant, friendly, and welcoming. They took me on a nice tour of the facility. The rooms were clean and pleasant. The activities were arts & crafts, bingo, singing, and board games.

Anonymous107833550 June 18, 2015

The price was good at Atria Hillsdale. It was a good economical place for people who need assisted living, but the facility needed a lot of repair. They had flowers everywhere in the eating area. It was a very secure facility, and it was reasonable. The patients looked very happy and were very active. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

Thanks for visiting Atria Hillsdale. We’d like to learn more about your experience so we can continue to enhance our community. If you’re comfortable sharing more information with us, please reach out to us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com.

Caring106815650 May 28, 2015

We looked at Atria in San Mateo. They had us lunch there, and we loved it. When we were looking at the room, we were trying to get a room that was laid out exactly like my mother-in-law's room. The ones they had available at the time weren't quite what we needed. We had only gone in there looking at the rooms for respite care. It was almost too big for her, and it wasn't going to be easy for her to navigate. Everything is clean and new. They looked very well cared for. We also talked with some of the residents when we were there, and people seemed to be pleased. We liked the way it felt and the way it looked.

Caring103946650 April 17, 2015

Atria Hillsdale is great. They met all my mom's needs. We searched other facilities, but this has been great in all areas for her. The place is very pleasant, and everybody is very positive. It is also open, nice, and very comfortable as well. We joined him for meals there, and it is very nice. They are also open from 7 am to 7pm so if for some reason she doesn’t want to come down early, she can always go down and get something later.

Pam42 January 06, 2015

The difference between the studio of Atria Hillsdale and the other places was the fact that they did not have a small kitchen. Their amenity was their dining room which was open at free hours and more of a restaurant ambience, so people could go down at any time when they were hungry, and they will be served like they would in a restaurant. This was a three-story building so it had elevators. It was a nice facility and newer than the others, so there wasn't any noticeable repairs that were needed. I think the dining area was just phenomenal in the way they had set up the atmosphere and the timing so they didn't need to have a kitchenette in the rooms.

Caring73362250 November 26, 2013

Atria was a much older facility. The place itself looked older. I had lunch there and I didn't like their food at all. Their staff though was very nice. Because I didn't have a car, they came and picked me up from my house and drove me back home. They also have a schedule for activities for their residents.

Thank you for your feedback I'm glad that you have enjoyed our staff and services, and we are continually working to improve the dining experiences of our residents. If there is further feedback that you are willing to provide to help us make improvements, please contact us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com (be sure to include the community name).

Lacey12 July 24, 2013

The food here is absolutely horrible. The dining room is pleasant enough, but the food is served cold by incompetent waiters and the service takes forever. Othere than the activities which are good, the place looks likes it's ready to close.

I am so very sorry for your negative experience with our community during a recent staff transition. We have just hired a new director of culinary services and our residents should see a dramatic difference in their dining experience in the next two weeks. I encourage you to stop by for a visit and please contact us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com with any further concerns that you may have.

Caring44611 June 07, 2013

The lobby and the cafeteria weren't that bad, but when you went up the second floor of Atria Hillsdale, it smelled immediately like death and urine. It was horrible. The hallway was just like a college fraternity dorm wherein you had one hallway and there were rooms on both sides. The rooms were shoebox-sized and old fashioned and the aromatics were certainly less than desirable. I wouldn't go in this facility if I was dead.

Please accept our deepest apologies for the unpleasant odor you spoke about in your review. This is certainly not acceptable at any of our communities and we have taken measures to ensure that it does not become an issue again. I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to meet with you so that you can see our community as welcoming as it should always be. If we can answer any questions or if you have other concerns, please contact us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com and include the Atria community name in your subject line.

Caring 6510 May 24, 2013

Atria Hillsdale was an older facility and it had a business-like reception area. I spent most of my time in the memory care area. I really liked that the rooms were neat, clean, can be personalized and homey. The dining area was very large and complete with linen table cloths and napkins. The residents in the various areas seemed fine. There was also an area where the residents could freely walk outside, so they had a feeling of independence and freedom, which was important to me. They treated everyone with appropriate care. I would pick this facility for my mom if it was not for the location.

BayAreaSW June 23, 2011

I've visited Atria of San Mateo several times and have recommended it to my clients. It offers both assisted living and memory care.

The direct care staff is very hands on, very patient, caring, attentive, well trained. They assign a care coordinator to every resident, and that works well. All the care seems to be well managed. The dementia patients, in particular, get a lot of 1:1 hands-on care.

It's located next to a lagoon (with great views) right off 101 at the Hillsdale exit, so it's easy to find. It's on the corner of two busy streets, though. The facility itself is four stories. 1st floor: admin, kitchen, dining room, recreation room. 2nd floor: memory unit. 3rd and 4th floors: residences. All the rooms are private, and they all have a bathroom with a call-button. And they come furnished or unfurnished. It's about 15-20 years old and is well kept (freshly painted rooms, carpeted), good light.

I've heard from a number of the residents that the food is absolutely great--served restaurant style.

They also have a good mix of activities, with something new every day. On a Friday when I was there recently, they had a professional singer playing the piano. They also were serving cocktails to those who wanted them. It was very nice.

One other plus: It's very clean, and there are NO hospital odors--a nice departure from a lot of facilities I've been in.

Zena9 May 26, 2011

Friend or relative of resident

The first thing that I noticed when I visited my Uncles friend here at Atria is a lot of smiling old people. They seemed to be enjoying the nice calm breeze in the garden and the perfect atmosphere. The doors were wide for wheel chair access; the staff looked very approachable, helpful and cheerful. The building was very clean and had good cross ventilation.

My Uncle's friend had been staying there since the last 3 years and he was full of praises for the facilities that Atria Hillsdale provides and how he has made some good friends with others who stay here. He said that he gets to do some exercises in the morning as assisted by the nurse and also gets to participate in many activities that the management organizes.

While I was there, I saw a family who had come to admit an old family member. It was an emotional moment for them. However the staff counseled them really well. I was happy that I could visit Atria and see the life that we usually don't give much heed to.

assistedlivingfac May 04, 2011

Friend or relative of resident

My friends grandmom had been staying here for like 2 years and she has found the people very friendly. They spend time getting to know the residents . They organize a lot of free activities, and have free exercise programs which has benefitted my friends grandmom to a great extent. They have happy hours too which gives a lot of opportunity for people to mingle. The rooms are also pretty big and have good ventilation and amenities. However, There are some downsides. The food sometimes is not fresh and the medications are sometimes not provided on time. Having said that, if the management there work on these issues, it could be one of the places where I would definitely like to put my loved one.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Atria Hillsdale. I'm glad to hear that your friend's grandmother has enjoyed living at our community, but we would like to address the concerns you expressed about the food quality and medication reminders. Since your review, we have continued to improve the dining experience of our residents, and we also survey our residents twice per year to gather additional feedback. On the subject of medication reminders, I will share your review with the appropriate staff to make sure that we correct any issues that may exist in that area, as well. If you have any questions or would like to discuss any further details regarding Atria Hillsdale, please contact us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com and include the community name in your subject line.

CaringKrys March 01, 2011

Really nice place

I toured Atria last month, and boy was I amazed! The buildings are just what you'd expect, nice and clean and airy. There's a good restaurant where residents can eat whatever they want, like a regular restaurant. They have a lot of activities, and the rooms are like apartments. Residents are encouraged to be individuals, and it seems like the onsite nursing staff are really caring people, devoted to their jobs. The sales lady who gave me my tour was wonderful - she knew all the residents by name and genuinely seemed to like them. We decided to keep our loved one home, but if we were going to choose an Assisted Living Facility, it would definitely have been this one.

From Atria Hillsdale

Atria Hillsdale is an inviting and family-friendly community where you can relax outdoors while enjoying beautiful waterfront views. Located only 20 minutes from downtown San Francisco, Atria Hillsdale offers the convenience of nearby restaurants, shopping and medical facilities.

Atria Hillsdale offers the following services:

• Staff available 24 hours a day
  • Choice of apartments
  • Anytime Café
  • Full-time director of events and activities
  • Emergency call system in every apartment
  • Daily restaurant-style meals

• Minimum memory care rate: $6,870/month

• 24 hour nurses: 40 hours/week

• Licenses: License #415600133
  • State License(s): 415600133

• We offer respite care (short term stays)

Location of Atria Hillsdale