Brookdale San Juan Capistrano

31741 Rancho Viejo Rd., San Juan Capistrano, CA, 92675

Reviews of Brookdale San Juan Capistrano

February 29, 2016

By duff

If the person is in pretty good shape, Brookdale San Juan has lots of activities. I saw their activity book, and it’s a beautiful place. It used to be a Marriott Hotel and this is a hotel kind of feeling. It has a big dining room, and it’s really nice. I wish my husband could go, but I don’t think he would get anything out of it because he sleeps most of the time and just needs care, and I don’t think he’d get pleasure out of it. It’s so nice, it’s like a resort. I couldn’t say anything bad about it. They were all very polite, and everybody said “Hello”; they were just nice.

January 29, 2016

By Susan119378250

The staff at Brookdale San Juan Capistrano were wonderful, and nice. It’s just too expensive. It is a nice, clean, and beautiful place. The residents as well as the employees seemed very happy. I would certainly recommend it to anybody, but I just could not afford it at $10,000 per month. There is a barber shop, a restaurant-type dining area, and a snack bar. The grounds are beautiful with garden areas. They have a TV room, a movie room, and a library. They have a hospital part for the other type of care. They have a certain menu, and they have food that you can order anytime; like hotdogs and hamburgers. It’s very much like a spa or resort. Georgia, she was wonderful.

January 26, 2016

By Maryanne7

Brookdale San Juan Capistrano, formerly Emeritus at San Juan Capistrano, was OK. The major drawback was the only room-size that they had available for a couple was 424 square feet, and that was way too small. It was good that it had three different steps, from assisted living, memory care to skilled nursing. They wouldn't have to go anywhere if there was an issue. They also had an in-house MD, and because they had skilled nursing in the same complex, they had RNs. The company did follow-up, and called once just to see how things were going; which was appreciated.

January 26, 2016

By Linda118720250

Brookdale San Juan Capistrano, formerly Emeritus at San Juan Capistrano, didn't have cottages. The residents all lived in one building. They had a dementia area; which I didn't get into, but I saw the general assisted living area. It was very nice. It looked like the Marriott Hotel. There was one lady who had activities for them in the general area. When I first arrived, they were doing exercises, and the next they were doing some game. The dining area was very nice with beautiful tablecloths. I would recommend that one.

December 21, 2015

By Caring Daughter116552750

We walked through Brookdale. It had a nasty odor of food from the dining room. People liked it, though, but it was far too expensive.

December 11, 2015

By Beverly120674250

Brookdale San Juan Capistrano was very open and very clean. It looked like a luxury hotel. It’s also close to my house. Those are the main things I like about this facility. They had a nice dining room and rooms. Eleanor, the girl who gave me the tour, knew her stuff. She answered my questions. The other staff also looked happy to be working there.

November 25, 2015

By Kathy B2

I only visited Brookdale San Juan Capistrano (formerly Emeritus at San Juan Capistrano) once. I did like the place a lot, but it was a little bit big and not as cozy as the other place I visited, and they had more residents. It was very clean and newer looking. The residents' rooms were a little bit bigger than other places I visited. There were three selections for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and there were daily specials if something wasn't on the menu that they preferred. I only met one lady that gave me the tour who was very nice, but everybody seemed friendly. I really liked the rooms. When you move in, they repaint the whole inside and put in new carpeting. I saw one that was being done for a resident that was going to be coming, and everything was being cleaned and refurbished. The room had a walk-in closet and was spacious. It was just a little bit too far away from my father's doctors and things that he needs to see regularly.

August 18, 2015

By tdcrump

Very nice, open facility. Room were bright and airy, and the staff was friendly. They knew all residents, and were helpful. They were patient with all residents, and went out of their way to assist. To get the full cost expectation, you need to assess the level of care necessary for each resident so they can price the help required. The food was very good, and my meal arrived quickly. Very nice to have skilled nursing facility attached.

May 28, 2015

By Jeff38

Brookdale San Juan Capistrano (Formerly Emeritus at San Juan Capistrano) has all four levels. It had been changed recently from Emeritus. It wasn't quite as modern as the other one I've visited, but it seemed like a nice place. The rooms were a little more modest. The people were nice, and it had a good atmosphere especially if you wanted skilled nursing.

May 13, 2015

By Caring106772050

We looked at Brookdale, and we didn't like it at all because it needs a lot of help. We walked in the door, but we did not stay very long. It obviously needs updating very badly because it is in another era. It is a lot less expensive,, and I can understand why. It also didn't look clean to me. We were short on time, but the person that took us on the tour was very nice. The rooms were OK, and the dining room was huge, but I don't know about the atmosphere because it needs help. It is so old looking and worn. They need to update the whole place because it needs updating.

We apologize that your tour of Brookdale San Juan Capistrano did not meet your expectations. We want to thank you for taking the time to visit and providing feedback. Please be assured it will be reviewed and used to better serve our residents and their families in the future.

April 20, 2015

By Catherine25

She lived at Brookdale San Juan Capistrano for about a month, and it was fine. The place was very nice. We had a very good experience with them, and they took good care of us, but they were just too expensive.

March 14, 2015

Brookdale San Juan Capistrano is absolutely fantastic. I can't say enough great things about them. It's my favorite.

November 12, 2014

By Graphwendy

My Father lived here for five years. the staff are great, Considering all the responsibility they have. very important and appreciated for the family to visit, and Stay in touch by phone. Clean, food good. Wonderful Front staff and grounds. Quite expensive, but worth it. good location and pretty grounds. Near good hospitals, shopping, and the ocean too ! We made lifelong friends there. I am so grateful that my Dad lived there!

August 28, 2014

By Bob89194050

I visited Emeritus at San Juan Capistrano and it was fine. The staff was also fine and they gave enough information. The rooms were likewise fine. Their dining room was like a restaurant style and the food was OK. I would definitely recommend them to others.

July 25, 2014

By Eric9

I visited Emeritus, and it was very nice, though the price was a little bit high. They have a hotel atmosphere, and they have nice rooms. They're very clean. They're in a fairly nice area. What I liked about it, was they had a very active social calendar, and their food looked really good. It was very impressive. They had a lot of activities. They had like a charade. They had activities there like bingo, calisthenics, and wheelchair calisthenics and things like that.

March 26, 2014

By Stephen7

Emeritus is like a large hotel, but we have our own apartments. We have a reception desk like a hotel. I have caregivers here and a housekeeper, they look after me and they have people 24 hours a day. We have a professional chef and we have a dining room. We also have a bus service.

January 30, 2014

Emeritus at San Juan Capistrano was very nice. If I needed that kind of a facility, I would definitely consider that. When I have to leave my place now, that's probably where I'll make an attempt to get into. They're also connected to a rehabilitation center. It's an attached building, so if you have any problems you'll have the services of doctors and things right there. It's in a location that's very nice. You could walk outside and feel safe. That's important to me because I like to walk, so I want a place where I'd feel safe walking.

August 01, 2013

By Lynne8

Emeritus was great but it was just a little bit farther away from me.

January 07, 2012

By catraveler

My great aunt stayed here for several months while she was suffering from dementia. At the initial visit to the facility, I was very impressed with the common areas and the number of activities that they scheduled for residents. They even have a hair salon on site for residents. The caregivers seemed very kind to everyone. As my great aunt was suffering from dementia, she didn't want to socialize, but the caregivers continued to try to get her involved in activities as much as possible. They also made sure she would come to the dining room for her meals. When I would come to visit, they were always helpful to me and let me know if she needed anything. Emeritus is in a nice location in San Juan Capistrano near the Mission. They had a beautiful garden area outside where residents can enjoy the outdoors. Overall, I would say I was pleased with the care my great aunt received, especially with the personal attention she got from the caregivers.

Photos of Brookdale San Juan Capistrano

Services & Amenities of Brookdale San Juan Capistrano

• Licenses: License #AL306004721/License #SNF060000526/PCOA #242

About Brookdale San Juan Capistrano

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale San Juan Capistrano