Brookdale Carmel Valley

13101 Hartfield Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92130

Reviews of Brookdale Carmel Valley

Daniel22 October 30, 2015

We picked Brookdale Carmel Valley to move my parents into. They have entertainment, and they have fairly good food, but they could use more caregivers that would decrease their response time. Each resident has a button around their neck that they can press to get help and that works very well, but in certain busy times, they need extra staff. They have activities outside of the residence twice a week where they have a bus that can handle two wheelchaired individuals and 12 regular seats. They go to the Lawrence Welk Ranch for plays or to the casino. They have entertainment before dinner and sometimes after dinner as well. My parents are fairly happy there and they haven't even been there a month yet. It's about four blocks from my parents' home, and we could walk there. They ended up in a large suite with a bedroom, a den, a large living room and a bathroom.

Suziq1 May 13, 2015

Emeritus at Carmel Valley (Hartfield Avenue) was very nice, but the rooms were small. The one room that would have accommodated her was overlooking the back parking lot -- which was where all the service vehicles and the laundry get in. She really didn’t have a view, she had no way to get outside, and there was no patio or balcony. The room was comfortable as opposed to what she is getting from the other facility, but it was smaller but very nice and nicely decorated. People were very pleasant, the staff is very professional, and the gal who took us around was very sweet.

Melodie2 March 25, 2015

Emeritus at Carmel Valley was very asumptuous, expensive, and very nice facility, but it was understaffed. The property was gorgeous. I went to go visit my next door neighbor there five times, and she could not wait to leave. The food was terrible. The staff were helpful and courteous, but at the same time they were always in a hurry.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us. Please be assured the safety and well-being of our residents is our first priority and we share their concerns as well as the concerns of their families and friends. We will share your feedback to help better serve our residents and their families in the future.

Caring95681050 November 29, 2014

Emeritus was closer, but it seemed much bigger. The apartments are spacious and clean. The staff accommodated me. The dining room was well decorated and very good. They had a musical concert going on when I visited. The place is secure enough.

Beverly43 August 27, 2014

I liked everything about Emeritus except it’s too expensive. The people were wonderful and very helpful. The rooms are nice. In the memory care unit, they were watching a movie, and they have a nice garden area where they can walk out to, like a central courtyard. It’s safe for anybody to walk out there without getting lost or confused, and that was the best thing I thought. It was beautiful outside, with actual food gardens that people can work in.

The management that I met was helpful and they had licensed nurses around to help with the medications. They had security for the memory care people, plus they had access to the outside. I like everything about it except the cost.

George49 February 13, 2014

Emeritus was very nice. I didn’t have a bad thing to say there but it didn’t have the accommodation that I wanted. They have smaller rooms. The food is very good and I was impressed. The menu was varied and food was presented very nicely.

Golfing18 October 16, 2013

My Mom went to Emeritus at Carmel Valley and received first class care. From Meghan the Therapist who helped with my Mom's Rehab to Fred Jackson the Executive Director who so kindly answered all of my concerns the staf was great! Thank you! I will highly recommend this facility for someone needing to rehab after surgery. All my best to you all in the future!

Caring72372950 October 13, 2013

I went to Emeritus at Carmel Valley. I loved that place. The rooms were fabulous. The staff were very nice. It is highly recommendable for what the community offers to residents. It covers a lot in terms of having a primary care physician that comes on site. The grounds are beautiful and it is super close to a lovely shopping center and maybe a half a mile away from a beach view. It doesn't get any better than that.

JasonSchmidt August 22, 2012

My grandfather was placed in this assisted facilities home and I go visit him often. The home is very well kept and looks very clean and homely. I really like it here because the staff is very knowledgeable and they answered all my questions promptly and clearly. They are also very kind and friendly and they take the time to make sure you and the residents are comfortable and happy. They even go so far as to personalize each room to suit the particular resident. In my grandfather's case, they put up all his pictures for him around the room. I thought that this was very sweet of them. This home is a bit pricey, but I feel that it is completely worth the price, since the staff spends so much effort and time there to make everyone feel at home. Overall, my family really loved this home and felt that it was a perfect fit for my grandfather.

commercesd June 14, 2012

We went to see Emeritus at Carmel Valley assisted living facility, since we are looking for a place for our aunt to live.The outer grounds looked well-kept and pleasant. The staff greeted us and seemed very warm and friendly - which is the most important thing to our family.

Many of out aunt's family members live in the area, so this would be an ideal place for them to visit her. The foyer was nicely decorated and seemed homey, as did all of the communal rooms.

The private rooms were all clean, well-kept and conveniently designed. They take the time to personalize to each resident's tastes.

The dining areas were nicely designed and warm. Residents may choose communal dining or more private situations. There were also places for them to visit with families.

They have outings to local libraries, events, culture, restaurants, shopping and even athletic activities. They also consider suggestions to update the schedule as much as possible.

The food looked deliciously prepared, as well as nutritious. The dietician and chef changes up the menu to keep it interesting and encourage resident to make suggestions.

The activity calendar features many healthy and stimulating activities. We liked that the staff encourages participation and tries to make everything interesting for its residents.

We really liked this facility in San Diego and thought the residents looked content. The staff also seemed very friendly and competent.

Larlen123 March 30, 2012

My mother has dementia and has been in Emeritus for a while. She will soon be moved to a Hospice very soon. Emeritus is beautiful and very clean. There is food 24/7. The staff is very respectful to the residents and their guests. I would recommend this center to anyone!

caring adult March 12, 2012

March 2012. I found the nursing wing to be extremely short staffed and I hope this is just a day that was not representative of the care provided. Especially at the price.

wester March 01, 2012

My grandma was a resident at this facility. She lived in her own small studio apartment within the residence at large. The people who worked there were very nice and I never had a poor experience with the staff (which went against my stereotypes of assisted living homes). They would take residents on trips out into the community, such as going shopping, visiting tourist attractions, going out to lunches, going to the casino, and so forth. I also found that the residents were pretty friendly as well. There was one woman in particular who lived in the semi-independent living area like where my grandma was while her husband lived in a different wing for dementia patients. I thought it was nice they were able to accommodate both of them so that they could be near each other. I know my family felt more at ease knowing that if something were to happen to my grandma there were people available nearby to help her. They weren't overbearing though, which meant she was able to have some freedom even though she couldn't live at home anymore.

From Brookdale Carmel Valley

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Features of Brookdale Carmel Valley

• Technology extra: Computers and iPads provided
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Skilled nursing
  • Physical therapy
  • Hospice care

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• General store
  • Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Internet cafe, Emergency call system

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• Private services

• We offer respite care (short term stays)

• Licenses: License #AL374603617/License #SNF080000634/PCOA #237
  • State License(s): 374603617

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Brookdale Carmel Valley