Emeritus at Amber Oaks

4415 Rio D'Oro, San Antonio, TX, 78233

Promotion ends in 16 days!

IT'S YOUR MOVE. LOCK IN THE 2017 RATE FOR LIFE. Lock in a rate that will never change for residents who take financial possession of an apartment by December 23, 2016. *New residents only. Excludes care costs and other fees. Additional details may apply.

Reviews of Emeritus at Amber Oaks

Jackie49 November 25, 2015

Emeritus at Amber Oaks is the facility that I want to use for my mother. The only thing that I was disappointed about is that people do not actually get to see a real room where somebody is going live. Instead, they would show you a model room with a really beautiful furniture. They don’t show you reality. They refuse to show you reality. Considering the fact that that’s where she is going to be going, I’m extremely disappointed that a facility would have such a fictitious set up to show people. There are only two facilities in San Antonio that offer the program that my mom is able to afford, but one is full and one has room, so it’s our only choice for my mother. However, they should be showing us the real thing.

Caring Daughter28 October 19, 2015

Emeritus was kind of old and rundown. I don’t like it, though it was more affordable than the others. I think they charge more for medical management and laundry, which we didn’t like. Kitchenette was very small. When you walk in, the first thing you see is what looks like a bathroom sink and I thought that’s not very nice to have a sink there and there was none in the kitchen, not much counter space. It looks like a free standing bathroom sink that maybe look like a hospital room. This place had a really nice staff member also and very informative.

Paula39 December 30, 2014

Amber Oaks is an assisted living facility which has little apartments. They provide meals and monitor your medications. They were really nice and friendly when I went to go see them. I had a friend who moved out of a nursing home over to that place. So that is how I heard about it. There are two rooms where they can occupy. One has a door and an open area with a curtain in front of it. So if one person will rent it as a single unit, that part would be the living room, and the other would be the bedroom. There's a coffee pot and a little refrigerator, but the meals are served in the dining room. You could either do your own medications, or they can take care of that for you. It depends on how independent you are. As for activities, they do their nails and play a lot of bingo. They had a little garage sale where the residents sell things in the common area. People were really nice. What I'd like is having a room with just two people in it and not too small like a hospital room. There is a lot more privacy than what you think would be in a nursing home.

Rebecca27 October 17, 2014

Emeritus is fine, but it wouldn’t be the place where I would put my mom. The staff was very nice and friendly, and I took the tour of the facility. The atmosphere was more like a nursing home or like a hospital. They have a place for reading, games, and a bus service. The rooms were like little small rooms, and there was just one window.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Your input is very important to us and we will share your feedback to help better serve our residents in the future.

Caring5803 August 13, 2014

Emeritus at Amber Oaks is less expensive and much closer to my home. The staff seemed to be fine. My mother has only been there since June 1st. Her room is really nice. She likes the food. I like the fact that she has a larger room. Even though they have a planned menu, if she does not want what is on there, she can order something else if she wants.

Caring82975450 April 22, 2014

I had looked at Emeritus at Amber Oaks, and for me this facility seemed a little bit old looking, but the staff were very nice to me. It was a very nice tour, but I was worried that it was too big for what I was looking for, for my dad. I was looking for a smaller facility where he could get a little more personalized attention.

mattoli2 April 30, 2013

Visited with a friend that was looking for assisted living .My concern was the smoking allowed on the only out side patio I saw. Also some smoking at entrance. Otherwise seems to be a very nice place.

Neil1 April 18, 2013

It's nice at Emeritus at Amber Oaks. The food is good and the staff is exceptional. There are no issues with the facility at all. However, my mom has developed dementia so I may need to move her to a memory-care facility. I would definitely look at other Emeritus facilities because they are run very well.

I think Emeritus at Amber Oaks probably needs a little bit of a facelift outside of the rooms. My mother's apartment is excellent, but the facility in general needs a facelift.

Elaine6 March 21, 2013

The environment at The Emeritus is more like a nursing home. The Director was very nice and informative. The rooms were smaller and comparable to a hospital room.

caring7262 August 16, 2012

We took a tour of the place and it did seem nice. But I guess the fact that it caters more to the seniors, so my sister, who's 39, was looking for something more to her age group; that was the only drawback. Everything else looks pretty good and I like the different services that they provide in there. The staff was good and friendly. The place does look decent. The rooms are just a little bit small but everything else looked in good standards. The facility did appear to be very clean. The only thing I didn't see was probably many activities. I don't know because we went there on a weekend and the seniors there were just lounging around. They did say that they do have some activities but they didn't really go into details. They just mentioned the shopping, the transportation and the field trips.

ddc January 31, 2012

So far so good. Just in the process of getting my mom moved in. Didn't know till yesterday that she needed to see her doctor within 30 days of move in. Would have been nice to find out earlier.

commercesd January 16, 2012

We decided to check out Emeritus at Amber Oaks in San Antonio since we are looking for a suitable place for our aunt. The outer regions of the facility were well-tended, with plenty of places for residents to enjoy themselves outdoors.

The foyer and receiving area had a slightly modern, yet contemporary decor -- very eclectic and thoughtful. It was refreshing to see a slightly different viewpoint in the style. Most of the facilities we have been visiting have home-style Early American furnishings -- which is fine, but this place was a little more updated.

There are plenty of seating areas to relax and enjoy a book or socialize throughout. The main rooms were lovely, with beautiful floral arrangements throughout, which made the environment very cheery and bright. There is also plenty of natural light.

The food offered looked really delicious and wonderfully and healthily prepared. They also offer a variety of snacks any time the residents request them, as well as many times during the day.

The apartments offered included studios and one to two bedrooms - and an option of private or companion suites. Each have kitchenettes, large private baths, nice, large closets, plenty of cabinets, and personalized climate control.

There is always a variety of activities for the residents because of its location. With access to central North East San Antonio there is plentiful shopping and many places to enjoy a variety of fine dining and other excursions.

On site social activities can include weekly socials, reading, games, barbeques and many parties and other gatherings with friends, family and local citizens.

Outdoor outdoor activities include visiting nearby cities like Fredericksburg and Gruene for day trips that include fishing and the Fiesta River Parade, Stock Show and Rodeo, and Zoo.

We also like that they are within 5 miles of many doctors and hospitals. The residents are encouraged to engage in many different exercise and activity programs that are all designed around the interests of the seniors.

We liked that they have a variety of offerings here -- from retirement living to assisted living, to short stay and rehabilitation, since we are not certain of exactly what our aunt will be needing at this point. They can adapt and change her care level at any time, which is comforting to know. We would like to refrain from moving her around as much as possible.

It was clear to us that this facility really cares about what is best for its residents -- which is also our number one concern. The staff responded to us and answered all of our questions in a satisfactory way. They also appear to be very kind and caring to all of their residents.

From Emeritus at Amber Oaks

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Features of Emeritus at Amber Oaks