Brookdale San Antonio

9203 Cinnamon Hill, San Antonio, TX, 78240

Reviews of Brookdale San Antonio

Caring111657450 August 21, 2015

We found an assisted living place for my mother. She has been at Horizon Bay San Antonio for almost two months now, and she is doing fine. I noticed a difference immediately when I walked into this facility from some other places I had visited. The staff was very present, visible, and friendly. The interaction between the staff and residents was obvious. The residents enjoyed being there. They enjoyed interacting with the staff, which tells me that the they know what they’re doing. We looked into every aspect of this facility -- e.g., the common areas, the dining facility, and just everything -- and it was obvious that the facility has been taken care of. It is obvious that it is maintained very well. We have been very pleased with the facility. We couldn’t have asked for a better place. The activities that they offer for the residents on a daily basis are games and arts and crafts activities. There are socials, and they take them shopping at least twice a week. They take them to their doctor’s appointment too. The place has really an outstanding schedule in the way they manage and encourage interaction between the residents. On several occasions I’ve been talking to my mother on the phone, somebody will knock on her door, and it is one of the staff, reminding her about an activity and encouraging her to go. I’m just really pleased.

Caring112229550 August 21, 2015

It was in much better shape physically, and it was a very good experience. In their memory care facility, they had smaller cottages that the residents live in that might have 15 or so residents in each, and they had their own rooms. The place was very neat and tidy. For men, they had a work bench where men could fiddle with things they're used to. They had a lot of different activities, and there was someone there playing the piano when I was there. I went to look at the dining area in the regular part of their assisted living, and they said they had the same food and same menu, but for memory care, sometimes they had to cut the food up for the people. Horizon Bay San Antonio was very good, and the staff seemed great also.

Dennis27 May 24, 2015

My mother is in Horizon Bay. I like that it is very small. There are only about 14 residents. She is only been there for 10 days, but so far, so good. The rooms are very nice. She is in one with about 360 square feet. It has a good size bathroom and a shower. They provide the shower service as well as give her the meds. It is a pleasant place. They bring the food over from the main facility. They have a very good chef there, and the food is excellent.

They don't leave the premises; however, I know that they have someone to play the piano, and they have sing-a-long. They do arts and crafts.

Patti22 May 17, 2015

I moved my parents from a Brookdale property in San Antonio. It was called Horizon Bay, and it was fabulous. Their food was great, and their service was great. They have a caring staff, and there is always someone you could find and talk to. Their activities just absolutely did my dad a world of good. It was just overall excellent. They had card games, Bingo, and exercising, and they had a dog that came in, lots of different music, and parties for everything. Chinese New Year, they had a party. There were special luncheons and dinners; they have Men's Club for the men, and they had a luncheon for them once a month. They have exercise, movie nights, ice cream socials, and barbecues. They have all of it. It was great.

Tim18 April 27, 2014

Horizon Bay was well-maintained. They have a good activity system. Their dining facility is excellent, and their amenities are great. Their staff seems to be very caring. It’s a very clean place. I was very satisfied with it. They have an activities room for people who want to utilize it with games and puzzles. They have outings, arts and crafts, and bingo. They have a computer course they’re teaching. It’s well put together. They’re my first choice.

Caring56233750 April 26, 2014

I'm at Horizon Bay. I like it very much. The food is excellent. The people are very attentive and kind. I love my apartment. The transportation is adequate. I don't really have any negatives concerning it. There are all kinds of activities and entertainment that they provide.

Caring84360750 April 26, 2014

I visited a friend who was at Horizon Bay San Antonio. He was in rehab. It wasn't a severe rehab, and he wasn't there an awful long time. He said he liked it. I would also consider that if I were looking for something. If I had to look for a place right now and they give me a list of five or six, that may be one of them that I would look at. My overall impression was quite favorable. It was pretty centrally located. It's close to town.

Love1 October 27, 2013

After a comprehensive review, visit and face to face interviews with the management team of more than 10 memory care communities, I believed that Horizon Bay projected the attributes I felt were most important related to the future care of my wife: compassion, empathy and respect. She has transitioned to the community and I feel that my trust in the management and direct care team has been justified. Whether assistance with ADLs, activities, access or kindness extended to her Yorkie it is as if our family has been expanded.

Caring4917 October 09, 2013

It was very welcoming when you walk in Horizon Bay. It was beautifully decorated inside. The facility itself was more modern and up-to-date. It was clean also. My mother liked that one better. I would definitely recommend this place. The staff was very nice. When we went there, they were doing an exercise class. Most of the residents were in their wheelchairs and they had some music on. They did have many activities and they have them posted on the board in the lobby each day. They even have church services that come in.

CMurphy April 08, 2013

We are so glad that we found Horizon Bay! The staff members are truly sweet & caring. Everyone from the Executive Director, Marketing Directors, Activities Director, Nursing and Food Service have been actively involved in our families transition. They have been very professional, yet warm and compassionate in what can be a very emotional transition. We found this community when "A Place for Mom" referred our names to Horizon Bay. They called and invited us to visit. We loved what we saw. The community is set in a residential community. As you enter, there is a warm & welcoming reception area that the residents gather and visit. The dining room is open, bright and inviting with 4 top tables covered with table clothes. The service is excellent and the food is very tasty! There are many activities managed by a very enthusiastic Activities Director. The nursing staff have been so kind and helpful with our complicated medications list and physicians set up. They continue to help us tweak our needs. The room we picked out for my step-mom turned out to not be exactly what she wanted location and amenity-wise, so when another room became available that she preferred, they had no problem helping us make the move happen. It's been pretty seamless. We looked at other assisted living communities but were drawn to the Horizon Bay community. The next best thing to all that I've described is that the residents are so sweet and have been very warm and welcoming to my step-mom as well. My dad passed away in January and my step-mom tells me that the only thing that would make her stay more pleasant is to have dad there with her. She says he would have loved it! We highly recommend this community!

Suzy5 March 22, 2013

My mother has been a resident at Horiozon Bay for two years. Her care is personalized for her needs. The nursing staff is efficient, supportive and has a good relationship with my mother's doctor. The aides are caring and want their residents to be comfortable and feel cared for(my mother boasts of her personal dressers!). This facility is always clean. The programs are many and varied with a lot of "special" occasions celebrated. The kitchen staff is very helpful and the meals are great, with many choices. The chef is excellent and knows residents as well as family members. All the employees are respectful, courteous, professional, available and friendly. My family has been very pleased with Horizon Bay do speak positively of it with our friends.

Elaine6 March 21, 2013

Horizon Bay is beautiful facility but it is just farther from my house. The rooms were nice and big. The handicapped accessibility is good. They have a lot of activities. The staff are very friendly. It is nice that their independent living facility is right next to the assisted living facility, it is easier to move someone.

amy6 March 19, 2013

My mother, who has dementia, has lived at horizon bay for more than two years. We are very pleased with the entire staff. They are helpful, courteous, cheerful, always ready to do what needs to be done. We are very grateful for the care and attention she receives. I am over there many times thru out the week and see the interaction thru out the complex and am confident and comfortable with my mother living there. Lots of different activities thru out the day and week, every week. Something for everyone! Food is excellent! Low staff turnover, too

Daughter#21 March 13, 2013

My family is looking to move our parents to assisted living in a different city. The staff at Horizon Bay has been remarkable in listening to our concerns and really WORKING to help us find the very best situation possible for Mom & Dad. Thank you Jessica, Jennifer, Jamie!

dissatisfied2 November 20, 2012

From the outside this facility definitely appears to be appealing to the eye. Initially the staff that you meet are extremely welcoming however as time progresses the attentiveness of the staff quickly deteriorates. Im not certain if it is the turnover or just the lack of compassion from the staff. Grandmother has been here approximately a year and to be honest we are looking to move her into a different facility or have her come to live in my home. I was impressed at first however grandmas room was not kept clean and the call time is quite absurd. My expectations are not too high however I do expect them to be much more efficient. About a month ago she took a very hard fall and was in the floor for about an hour when I arrived in the room to find her lying in the floor. Very dissatisfied and definitely will not be referring this facility to anyone in the near future.

kelsey1715 June 21, 2012

I was very dissatisfied with the service and care that my grandmother received when at Horizon Bay. She went to this home to recover from open heart surgery. The hospital told us it was going to be a rehabilitation place for her to heal before going home. Right when we walked in we could tell this was not one of the better Rehab homes around. She was left in her room the entire time, it seemed like the only time she had anyone pay attention to her was when her family was around. I would not recommend this place for anyone's family. Being a firm believer in family comes first I was very upset. Many of the other residents didn't look like they were to happy either, no one was being helped. Having a nurses background I wanted to step in and help everyone that was there. When my family had requested a bath for my grandmother, after being there 6 days, they acted like we were asking for something huge. It took another 2 days before I stepped in myself and gave her a shower. Felt really bad about all the residents who didn't have any family to help out.'

commercesd June 03, 2012

Since we would be in San Antonio checking out another facility, we made it a point to visit Horizon Bay San Antonio in the same region.

My brother's friend has a lot of friends and family near the area - so it is a favorite location. It is important to the family that he really enjoy his later years - and they feel he can do that best in somewhat familiar surroundings.

The covered porches added a nice charm to the facility, making it seem very homey and welcoming. All of the areas were pleasant to be in and we could see that the residents thought so, too.

The activities we saw ranged from board games, to discussions, private reading and watching film and TV - and general socializing. The aviary was a lovely place to relax. The chapel and beauty shop were very nicely maintained.

The apartments were all spacious and included an emergency system, seated safety shower stalls and ample kitchenettes.

The staff is well-versed at taking care of a variety of types of people. The outside activities they plan regularly include everything from visiting local restaurant favorites, the public library and movies - to day trips to nearby regions.

They have planned exercise classes - but also offer residents to work out any time they wish. We liked that they encouraged daily exercise. Residents are encouraged to partake in a variety of social, educational and cultural programs. There is a daily happy hour where residents and guests may engage in lively discussions on a variety of interesting topics.

This facility was designed with independent privacy in mind and it ranks as one of the better ones we have visited.

From Brookdale San Antonio

Brookdale San Antonio provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Brookdale Living's San Antonio, TX community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional independent and assisted living services, amenities, and opportunities we offer. And, the residents at Brookdale San Antonio can rest assured that as their needs change, we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Optimum Life® and Celebrations provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of the residents of this independent and assisted living community, their families, and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self-discovery including services, features, and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life®, the mission of Brookdale San Antonio is to encourage our independent and assisted living residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar at Brookdale Living's San Antonio, TX community with themed experiences, special events, and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Internet cafe, Anytime dining with a great extensive menu, Signature spices, Country store, Walking trails Located next to a sister property that has skilled nursing, 7 different floor plans, Billiard room, Activity director does personal profiles to create activities, All rooms have a fridge and microwave

Features of Brookdale San Antonio

• Technology extra: Emergency call system

• Physical therapy

• General store
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Fitness room/Gym

• Private services

• Pets: All pets allowed

• Licenses: Yes
  • State License(s): 030265

• We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Brookdale San Antonio