American House Elmwood Senior Living

2251 West Auburn Rd., Rochester Hills, MI, 48309

Reviews of American House Elmwood Senior Living

family member17 May 11, 2016

My visit to Elmwood was outstanding. The staff was very knowledgeable, very conversational, really wanted to understand what I was looking for, and answered all of my questions. They were a pure delight and amazing. They had a family area, a nice eating area, an area for community events, a salon, and an area for exercise. I got some cookies, which were the most delicious cookies.

Grandma13 March 16, 2016

American House Elmwood Senior Living was OK. It's mostly assisted living, but it had more of a skilled nursing/nursing home feel to me when I walked in. It's an older facility, and the room seemed to be a little dark. For activities, they had some game time, jigsaw puzzles, movie time, and brought in outside groups. The staff was great, very friendly, and very informative.

Caring daughter98176050 December 15, 2015

American House was very nice, but dad’s not a social person, and you have to be something of a social person in that environment, and that’s not him at all. He likes it, but it’s just not his cup of tea. There was a one floor unit spread out, and we saw a studio place, which didn’t impress Dad at all; it was just too small, not that he’s looking for anything big, but I just wanted him to see what the environment looked like. It was a very nice, well-kept, and clean facility.

Terry 01 November 30, 2015

We visited American House in Elmwood. It wasn't very nice. We didn't care for it, and I would not put my parents there. It was old. They showed us the rooms, and they only had a studio available, which was really small. A lady just moved in a week or so before, and she was in a one-bedroom and loved it. She let us into the room, and it just didn't seem like it was cleaned before she moved in. I can see that there were marks on the walls; it just wasn't that nice. I know they had doctors come in three days a week or something, and they had a list on the wall that shows which doctor was going to be there on what day. The people and everything were very nice; the place itself wasn't nice.

Caring111623150 May 30, 2015

I was very impressed with American House even though I came in kind of unannounced. I had a tentative appointment, so I wasn't really expecting to have a tour. They did help me out a lot and showed me around. I wasn't in a good mood because my husband was in the hospital and not doing well. So I was kind of cranky, but they did really well. They even sent me home with a pie. The rooms and apartments were fine. They had different styles for different people's needs, but they were all fine. I was really looking for respite care, but I thought they were kind of expensive because there were a lot of add-ons like medications and administration. But I thought they were fairly good, and we'll be looking into them for respite care. The dining setup was fine. We were there during a meal, but I didn't see what the people were eating. They have been keeping in touch with me to see when I'm available to come and see them again and have my husband stay sometime for respite care. They are really good about it when I tell them I'm not ready. They say they'll call in a month or call in a few months, and they stick to that. They are not bothering me or anything, so I think they are doing well. So that is probably what we are going to look into when he needs to stay there for a few weeks.

Thank you for your feedback! We're so happy to hear that you'll be thinking of staying at American House Elmwood. If we can provide any further information please don't hesitate to contact me! Kathy Porman, Executive Director

James102388750 April 07, 2015

My mom is at American House –Elmwood Senior Living, and it is an excellent place. We had a little problem with one of the nurses there, but she is no longer there, so it is much better now. She has a private room, and it is very spacious and very nice. Before mom got worse, she played bingo and all those available activities. I have eaten there lots of times, and the food is excellent. I would absolutely recommend this place to others.

Thank you for providing feedback on the American House Elmwood community. At each American House community, a life enrichment director plans a program full of social, educational and cultural events to keep residents active and engaged - it's great to hear that your mother participated in some of the activities! If there's ever anything you or your mother need, please reach out to me directly. Sincerely, Kathy Porman (248) 790-1733

Caring100248450 December 28, 2014

I visited American House, and I liked their staff a lot. They had a lot of activities. They would give you a calendar where there were activities going on all the time.

We definitely do have tons of activities and our Lifestyle Enrichment Director is always working to plan even more events and things to do for our residents’ enjoyment. If I can answer any questions, please call me directly.

Sincerely, Kathy Porman, Executive Director 248-852-1980

Caring97434250 November 22, 2014

I didn’t like the American House – Elmwood. The staff were not friendly, and it looked like a nursing home. Overall, I just did not like the place.

Thank you for providing feedback! Our residents truly enjoy the Elmwood community, as we strive to create incredible life experiences for them. As such, please contact me personally and we can address your comments and concerns. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Sincerely, Kathy Porman, Executive Director 248-852-1980

Caring81745150 April 10, 2014

We chose American House because it is convenient. The staff is very nice, helpful, courteous, and accommodating. The rooms are all nice. They have quite a few activities.

We’re quite proud of our staff and the activities we have — because they really make our residents happy and interactive. Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback, it is very appreciated.

Sincerely, Kathy Porman Executive Director 248-852-1980

Diane41 October 21, 2013

American House Elmwood Senior Living was very clean looking and neat. The rooms were a nice-size and there was no smell. Everything seemed very, very nice. The prices were very reasonable. The staff was very informative and very helpful. I just hope they'd keep the prices low so people can actually afford to go there. Other than that, just keep it clean and neat, and make it look more like somebody's home.

Thanks for your feedback, Diane! I'm glad you liked our community – we like to keep a homey look here at Elmwood. We strive to keep costs low and create a value so that our residents and their families can rest easy.

Sincerely, Kathy Porman Executive Director 248-852-1980

Caring 6888 September 11, 2013

The place is a little bit older but it was nice. The staff were very, very nice. I would definitely recommend the place.

Thank you so much for your recommendation! I really appreciate you taking the time to let others know how much you enjoyed American House Elmwood - we think our staff is top notch too. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Sincerely, Kathy Porman Executive Director 248-852-8393

Joseph17 August 29, 2013

We choose American House because we like the place and the price is reasonable. The staff is very nice. Everybody is friendly and helpful and we appreciate that. It made us feel at home. The room is fine for a single person. I recommend this facility to others.

Thank you so much for your recommendation, Joseph! We try our best to make sure our residents are enjoying themselves - because they feel like family to us. Please feel free to drop by and say hello anytime!

Sincerely, Kathy Porman Executive Director (248) 852-1980

excellentchange September 22, 2012

My mother has lived at A.H. Elmwood for 5 yrs. Since the latest management change, I see a more respectful attitude toward the residents. The quality of food has improved. A greater variety of activities occurs. Adding an activities peson that is not responsible for keeping occupancy filled is an excellent change along with the new administrators.

Thank you, excellentchange, for noticing the positive changes we've made at American House Elmwood! American House is committed to improving on the services and the lifestyle we offer our residents, as we are grateful to them for making our community their home. If you ever have any questions or concerns, or would just like to say hi, please feel free to drop by or give me a call!

Sincerely, Kathy Porman, Executive Director, (248) 852-1980

Rice1 March 16, 2012

It was a wonderful place where my grandma lived out many of her final years. The staff was very kind and understanding. She always seemed happy and never had problems with this place. It became a second home to us when she was in there, it seemed like everybody knew each other. The staff would go out of its way not only to make sure she was good but that we were good to. She got 3 meals a day and the Activities Director was always creating fun and exciting; crafts or games to play, they even had Wii Bowling which she got really good at. I have seen a couple of the nurses and they still rant and rave at how nice my grandma was. It's funny cause when stories of my grandma come up all we can to do it rant and rave about them. They were all to wonderful and for that I am thankful.

We are grateful to you and your family for making American House Elmwood your second home. We have a very caring staff and the residents and their families always come first. We truly love what we do. Thank you for the wonderful comments.

Sincerely, Darlene Thompson, Executive Director

From American House Elmwood Senior Living

A charming, relaxing one-story community that truly feels like home, American House Elmwood located west of Crooks Road, is ideally situated near family and friends, shopping and familiar medical professionals in Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, and Troy. We are also located near Crittenton Hospital Medical Center, Troy Beaumont and St. Joseph's Pontiac. Elmwood Senior Living in Rochester Hills provides Independent Living with assistance available.*

Our apartments include studio and 1 bedroom floorplan options, with living rooms and private baths - many units with kitchens. We also have a community dining room, beauty salon/barber shop, billiards room, three spacious courtyards and two covered patios for outdoor relaxation...and much more.

Our Activity Director plans a wide range of cultural, social and recreational activities and trips. Resident Services also include restaurant-style dining available for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and scheduled transportation. Laundry and housekeeping services are also available.

*Medical support services provided by a third party not affiliated with American House.

Reimbursement