Elmcroft of Chesterfield

1000 Twinridge Lane, Richmond, VA, 23235

Promotion ends in 8 days!

Save $1500 + Lock In Your Rate Until 2018! Must sign by Dec 15.

Reviews of Elmcroft of Chesterfield

Evelyn6 January 31, 2014

My husband is living in the memory care unit of Elmcroft. Everything about is very good and we are very pleased. Compare to others we looked at, this one is a very attractive and homey place. It is very light, open and well decorated. I ate there and the food is wonderful. Everyone from the administration down to the maintenance and service people were just totally pleasant, friendly and caring. They have an activities director and she's very good. They do artwork and music. They have bible study and sing-a-longs and a good variety of things to do for anybody who is up to doing things. He is in a private room with bath, which is spacious and nice. I go there every day and I am surprise and please that his room is always nice and tidy. However, sometimes the bathroom needs some tidying up. But I don't complain about it because it is so minor. I would recommend them to others.

Donna59 September 13, 2013

My 91 year old mom has been living at Elmcroft for over a year in Heartland. She was not happy about going there, but could not be left alone due to dementia. The staff has been supportive and I can't say enough about the care she is provided. She can be strong-willed, but staff especially Monique knows just how to handle mom. I am able to work and not worry about her care. If there are any concerns I am always called. I am so grateful for Elmcroft and its staff.

Grateful son2 February 09, 2013

My 96 year old mother was a resident at Elmcroft of Chesterfield for ~ 4 1/2 years after living at another facility in Michigan. She was moved here in order to be near family and initially lived in the assisted living area before becoming too confused, at which point she moved to their memory care section ("Heartland Village"). I cannot say enough good things about everyone at Elmcroft. Their care, compassion, communication and obvious focus on my mother and the other residents was palpable. Our initial gut feeling was very positive and proved to be spot on for the entire time she was a resident. My sister is an internal medicine physician who cares for many elderly patients; she said that she could finally relax and not worry about my mother anymore, in comparison to her constant anxiety at the previous facility. That is very high praise as my sister is extraordinarily critical.

Unfortunately, my mother recently died from a pneumonia that came on quickly and overwhelmed her. Despite the best initial care at Elmcroft and her rapid transport to the hospital, she was too frail to survive this illness. It is impressive to note, however, that this was her first hospitalization since she moved to Richmond. Despite the multiple issues for anyone of her age, nothing was left undone or not addressed with her best interests in mind.

As much as I miss her and am sorry for all that transpired to cause her death, my siblings and I are extraordinarily grateful for the 4 1/2 years of excellent care, companionship and love she received at Elmcroft. Her life was so much better there than the previous years and we know that we would not have been able to spend this much time with her if she was at another facility.

MKDaughter-in-law February 08, 2013

For almost three years, I have had the opportunity to observe my mother-in-law as resident at Elmcroft. Before that, my mother lived at two other assisted living facilities in the area. The experiences my mother-in-law and we have had at Elmcroft have been far superior to the experiences at other facilities where my mother lived. If I had known about Elmcroft when my mother was alive, she would have lived out her final two years surrounded by persons who genuinely cared for her and not in facilities where staff as more interested in impressing visitors wiith shiny, new surroundings. What stands out to me the most about Elmcroft is the genuine care and concern of the staff for all of their residents. My mother-in-law, for the most part a very loving person, can be quite stubborn and teary at times, especially with the onset of Alzheimers. From the director, Luann Paul, to the aides and custodians, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) is kind and loving to my mother-in-law (and all of the residents). They laugh and joke with her, give her hugs, "fuss" over her and are always warm and solicitous to her. The nursing staff is on top of any medical or "activities of daily living" issues that may arise. I've noticed that the turnover in staff at Elmcroft is miniscule. That was not the case at the other two facilities where my mother lived. Faces are familiar to residents and family members. Family and friends are always made welcome at Elmcroft. We have hosted family birthdays, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas get-togethers at Elmcroft, which have been very enjoyable for everyone. We have enjoyed the social activities provided by Elmcroft for residents and families.
I hope and pray that my mother-in-law will be able to continue to live her twilight years at Elmcroft, still surrounded by people who care about her and seniors, in general.

MylittleMargie's daughter February 07, 2013

On June 3, my mother will have lived at Elmcroft for three full years. I had thought she was developing dementia, but she had been coping pretty well independently with help for shopping and transportation, but a hip break and surgery put a stop to that. At rehab, we were told she absolutely could not live alone, and my health is such that bringing her to my home was not an option.

First, I selected three possibilities geographically. There was one facility right down the street, but an extended family member had unpleasant experiences so I discounted it. I toured a brand new facility about two miles away, another about six (or more) miles away, and also Elmcroft which is about three miles from my home. I felt fortunate to have such nearby options. The first two were very nice, and the staff were professional, BUT it was at Elmcroft that I picked up the vibe of caring about each individual. It felt like home. I liked that it was on one floor, and that all areas are accessible (except the memory care unit which is kept locked). I felt an intimacy there between residents and staff. I liked that the people who would see to it that Mother dressed and bathed safely were the same people who served the meals which I deemed another opportunity to observe and interact with caretakers. It made me sense that the staff could become friends, not just folks doing their job.

Though my mother has been hesitant to participate in some activities (she is still at that stage of Alzheimer's that recognizes she has deficits), we observe a very relaxed pace, but plenty of opportunities to see and do and enjoy neighbors. My mother can be a stubborn, proud Steel Magnolia type, and then dissolve into a puddle of tears for no discernible reason. I have always found the staff to be patient and tolerant of this while maintaining an encouraging tone, always trying to help her (and me) go with the flow.

Can enough good things be said about the Executive Director, LuAnne? Probably not. Her door is almost always open, and she will drop virtually any duty in favor of helping a resident -- or comforting and counseling a relative. This I know!! I don't know what I would have done these last three years without her steady presence, and a desire to answer any question, and to make herself available. She sets a great example for her staff, and the number of pictures of staff members with multiple and long years of service and excellence is telling -- and quite wonderful to look at.

I am a frequent visitor as are other family members, and we all feel very much at home there. We have been able to hold some family birthday gatherings there to continue our family traditions, just in a different way. Our involvement has been welcomed, not resented. On Thanksgiving, my sister-in-law and I decided not to cook and instead dine with Mother at Elmcroft, and none of us were disappointed with the meal or that experience.

I have a lot of allergies and sensitivities to chemicals, and bless them, they have been extremely responsive to my inquiries and requests about using "green" and low-fume cleaners. This meant tons to me, and still does as it makes my visiting time there so much more pleasant. And frankly, it was a thing they didn't HAVE to do, but one I'm ever so glad for and appreciative of.

I am not as sad as I used to be about my mother's deterioration in her 80's, because the people at Elmcroft are with her, and they are also with her family to ease us all into this different and challenging season.

I suppose this is long enough to have lost your interest, but I do mean this as high praise and a personal recommendation to anyone looking for an assisted living facility.

M. Wescott February 06, 2013

After visiting a number of assisted living facilities in the Richmond area, my wife and I chose Elmcroft of Chesterfield to provide the level of care we thought my mother needed after she was diagnosed with dementia. While we did not have any particular reservations about other like facilities, we both agreed, after meeting with the staff of Elmcroft, that this would be the place where we could expect my mother's daily needs to be addressed in a competent an timely manner; we were not disappointed. Prior to her passing from complications of the disease approximately 8 months after admittance to Elmcroft the care given my mother was nothing short of excellent. It seemed to us that mom had established a special relationship with some on the staff, including the director, Luann. Our visits were almost daily, even if was for a short time and at no time was there any indication that my mother was receiving anything but care we came to expect. As the end was near, the staff took my mother's condition to heart and I can imagine they were almost as distraught as my wife and I at her passing. Clearly, this is a indication personal attention whom can expect for their loved ones at Elmcroft of Chesterfield.

Michael and Jeannette

GrayJo January 22, 2013

We did research for months & visited (5) facilities to find a place for Mom. She has dementia, but otherwise healthy as a horse. Has not spent a day in the hospital since 1957 for the birth of her youngest.

After visiting Elmcroft twice, talking with the Administrator, visiting with staff, checking cleanliness, location, aesthetics, dining, activities, room options, resident activity, etc...as best as we could, we decided this would be a good place for Mom.

As of this review on 1-22-13, (3) weeks after moving Mom in, she is currently in the hospital recovering from Renal Failure due to severe dehydration which the doctors said was (4) days min. without drinking & God knows how long without eating! She is also, 11 lbs. lighter (114 to 103). All this in (1) week since we took her to the local clinic the prior Sat. when she was weighed, checked, diagnosed with Bronchitis, prescribed antibiotics & returned to Elmcroft. No call from ANYONE that anything was wrong. If we had not gone by for a visit & taken her to the nearby clinic the hospitalist's said she could have died.

Looking into our other options & recourse. I STRONGLY recommend you explore OTHER options.

The lack of consumer reviews or independent ratings for people in need of care or facilities is surprisingly almost non-existent on the internet! So, this is my small contribution to the cause as the search for a great location for Mom continues.

Our priority, here at Elmcroft of Chesterfield, is our residents and their individual needs. Each resident is unique, different and special, we work diligently with heart and compassion, to make a difference in our residents lives. Each and every employee strives to do their best by and with our residents each day, we take our roles very seriously, there is no greater honor than to be trusted with a very special member of your family. Every member of this team regrets your feelings of frustration.

From Elmcroft of Chesterfield

Elmcroft of Chesterfield is located in beautiful Richmond Virginia, just south of the James River. We are located just minutes from the Historic Bon Air area as well as Stony Point Shopping Center. You don't have to go far to find a Hospital; we are located between Johnston-Willis Hospital and Chippenham Hospital. Come today to enjoy delicious home cooked meals, clean and spacious rooms, and meet our loving, caring staff.

Accommodations and Services

Elmcroft of Chesterfield is an assisted living and Alzheimer's Care community offering accommodations for those who may require assistance in their daily living activities. It is staffed 24 hours a day with trained healthcare personnel and offers as much or as little care as a resident may want or need. In addition, Elmcroft of Chesterfield has a licensed Health Care Director on call 24 hours a day.

Elmcroft of Chesterfield features a full sprinkler system and each apartment is equipped with an emergency call system that may be used whenever the need arises. In addition, all exterior doors may be locked so that a secure environment can be maintained.

Each apartment includes all meals and basic utilities as part of the monthly fee. Also, residents enjoy daily activities, private dining room for family and guests, library and sitting areas, bistro and billiard activity room, housekeeping services and many other amenities. Other services include a beauty/barber shop for a nominal fee.

The emphasis on activities is a main thrust of the service offerings. Social interaction is a vital part of overall good health and Elmcroft of Chesterfield is committed to offering residents a full range of social, recreational and spiritual activities from which to choose. Scheduled transportation on the community van allows all residents to take advantage of travel activities.

Elmcroft of Chesterfield is truly a great place to live and work and is proud to be a part of the Richmond, Virginia community.

Features of Elmcroft of Chesterfield