Brookdale West End Richmond

1800 Gaskins Road, Richmond, VA, 23238

Reviews of Brookdale West End Richmond

Caring90471650 August 14, 2014

Emeritus at Deep Run was our second runner up. We were mainly looking for a place that was close to me, as he is a mile away and that has made all the difference.

The place is very nice and clean, and the people were nice too. The only reason we picked a different one for my dad was it was a little bit closer and the percentage of men was lower, as we just thought that if he had more people to interact with he might find people of likeness. Older people still like to find something in common with someone else. I didn’t eat anything there, but they offered a lot. I can’t say much more than that. The rooms at Emeritus are very nice, though it’s smaller than what he wanted.

Disappointed10 April 30, 2014

I thought the facilities were clean. The food looked fantastic. The staff couldn’t have been better. They allowed pets. Emeritus had everything I wanted. They were very close to the interstate so that I could be able to visit my mother easily. That was a plus. They had a number of activities including that Mom could do dress up and get involved with various plays and activities. It had arts and crafts, and they allowed her to keep her pets. They were my second choice.

Caring82052750 December 31, 2013

Emeritus was fine. They were okay. What I like best about this facility is its location and atmosphere. Their rooms were adequate for what they were providing. The dining area was good. The staff was accommodating and cheerful. Everybody was pretty friendly. They did have activities for their residents; however, the population there were 20 years older than me. So I guess from my standpoint, being more specific about the age range that they have there, I think it was a misunderstanding on my part. I don't recall they offer retirement and it was more like an elderly population and that was the difference.

Daughtercares December 27, 2013

This place show nice,but I am starting to wonder why so many Executive Directors and Managers have changed in the last two years. This creates a formula for unstable staff, which leads me to wonder the corporate Emeritus must not care about the Executive Directors or Mangers. Recently, two Executive Directors have left, which both were very good, one almost made it 9 months the other less than 3months, Dining Room Director over 15 years--these are critical losses and say a lot!. When asking the staff, they say, its out of the control of the Managers. They have Regional and big people they report to where the dollar is more important than the residents, staff , family members. They want a bed filled! To the Mr. Hyatts and Corporate Emeritus who collect our payments--IF you care you would listen to your people! The building shows like a hotel but the staff is not stable. If Managers are not stable this makes communication drop in which I have noticed. Recent staff changing can not stabilizes! Constant!

CaringDaughter12 August 11, 2013

Emeritus at Deep Run is an amazing community! I've had my mother there for several years and can not put into words the appreciation I have for the staff who care for her every need. Some could classify Mom as high maintenance :) regardless the staff tends to all her needs. The management has changed, and Beth Price, the new Executive Director is very attentive and experienced. Yes, Mom's care may have gone up in price but as she ages her needs have changed. My favorite part of Emeritus is the Genesis Rehab Team. They are the rock stars of the whole community. The advocated for Mom's needs and safety and got her back in shape even at her age and ended up saving us thousands in care level increase by "rehabbing" Mom to a more independent functional level. They are angels! As is everyone at Emeritus.

DaugherDearest July 15, 2013

After more than two years, my elderly mother was evicted from Emeritus at Deep Run because they felt she was too demanding. If adhering to a resident's care plan is too demanding, then why have a care plan in the first place? This is what I was paying for. The services and care that she was getting was abysmal, and there was a constant change of management during the time she was there, so consistency was never achieved. Dirty towels and linens, smelly bathrooms, overcooked food and a lack of caring staff were just some of the things that we had to deal with. Meetings with the resident care director were not conducted in a timely manner, and they constantly played the "blame game." My mother was not a memory care resident, yet they would try to justify their lack of adherence to the care plan as a problem with my mother. If you plan to put your loved one in this facility, please think carefully about what you want and need. If your family member is independent, they may thrive - but God forbid they need help. Call bell response is unacceptably long and this was my biggest concern. They say their family is committed to yours -- but this has not been proven to me. Right now there are lots of vacancies and they are offering incentives, but it is not worth it in the long run.

age99 February 20, 2013

My mom has been at emeritus for the last 12 years. I have to give High praise and credit for the new management team. Very Caring and compassionate to the residents and employees. The residents always appear very happy as well as the staff who has been there for long periods of time. Not every place is perfect but I can tell you how impressed I have been with the Recent changes in Management, holding staff accountable, smiling, and answering your questions in a timely fashion. They have a Welcome, Open door Policy. When you walk in you feel the warmth, the residents happy, and most of all you feel committed to the family at Emeritus. I have noticed some residents that have changed in care, which as you age like mom I do not want to move my mom. As a matter of fact, she calls this home for the last 13 years and still has her memory to know her home away from home. I had the opportunity to read the last review and So disagree with the person and sorry she is so miserable. Every place is not for you and if you know your relative need more care and do not pay for the care then maybe you need to look for suitable placement that can meet their needs. for my mom and thirteen years. life could not be any better, she watched this place being built....and I would be happy to give any form of A one placement...decision. Miserable can find company on their own and hopefully they will be happy

Stella56 February 12, 2013

My mother has been at Emeritus for a few years now and I am getting ready to move her out. They recently underwent a total change in management, and the mentality of the new director and resident care director is to force those needing higher levels of care to move out or pay much more than the average for their limited menu of services. They do not want to be bothered with those who need extra help, which is evident by their lack of timely responses to call bells or their disinterest in the general welfare of the residents. It has gone downhill very rapidly in the past year and there has been a big turnover in care staff. I do not like to give people bad reviews, but there is a lack of communication between management and family members and the residents there are thoroughly miserable. On the surface, it looks like a great place, but once they have you committed to moving, their attention gets diverted to other prospective seniors. There are a lot of vacant apartments now because people are leaving in droves. Do not let the exterior fool you. They are not caring and compassionate, and that is what you want for your loved ones.

Pattie1 October 20, 2011

Everyone there has been so helpful and caring. I have not had to ever go through putting a loved one in asssisted living but they made the whole experience very positive. We would highly recommend them. Many thanks to everyone there!

Caring454691 October 02, 2011

From the moment I talked with an Emeritus representative, I was put at ease. Everyone there has been very helpful, friendly, and encouraging. They have been willing to answer all my questions and have been very welcoming to my dad. It already feels like home!

WavesMorg June 05, 2011

Visited this facility

At first glance, Emeritus at Deep Run looks like a luxury hotel, and with good reason. It was originally built and was operated by the Marriott Corporation, which is well known in the hospitality industry. However, Emeritus is now under different management, but the feel and amenities of the property are still reminiscent of a quality hotel.

When looking at an assisted living facility for my mother, I needed to consider many factors, including whether or not she would be comfortable in the Emeritus environment. My mother has limitations; she is hard of hearing, has low vision and uses a wheelchair. The proximity of the resident's rooms to the dining and activity areas was important to me, since if they were too far apart, my mother would probably become a recluse.

Emeritus is a large building that has the physical features of a luxury hotel. The only way you can tell this is an assisted living facility is by the number of walkers and wheelchairs in the halls. The rooms are small, but tastefully appointed and the dining area is bright and cheery. There seems to be a lot of activities for the residents. On one day that I visited, a choral group made up of residents was practicing for a holiday concert.

Emeritus seems to have good support for the residents and various levels of care. Despite my positive impressions about the facility, I decided that it was not a good fit for my mother. I think Emeritus at Deep Run is best suited for an individual who needs minimal assistance and who enjoys being pampered. My mother requires a bit more than minimal assistance and she tries to be fiercely independent. After consulting with the admissions director and spending a few hours over several afternoons checking out the facility, I regretfully decided to find an assisted living home that was a bit smaller and less intimidating. However, if I ever find myself in need of assistance, I would not hesitate to move my belongings to Emeritus -- hence, the five-star review. It is worth checking out, but was not the best place for my mother.

From Brookdale West End Richmond

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Location of Brookdale West End Richmond