Brookdale Imperial Plaza

1717 Bellevue Ave., Richmond, VA, 23227

Reviews of Brookdale Imperial Plaza

Thomas108837050 July 14, 2015

The rooms were a little bit larger. I probably would've chosen Brookdale Imperial Plaza if the one we chose didn't work out. The rooms were larger than some, and the price seemed to be about right. The people had more privacy.

Gene15 April 18, 2015

We looked at Brookdale. It was too crowded. The staff is good; the room is small, and it’s clean.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your feedback. We are committed to providing continuous quality care and will share your feedback with our management team.

Caring104421250 April 07, 2015

I like it. I have more room and a small bed. From what I've seen, the staff all have been wonderful and helpful in every way. The main thing is it's a lot cheaper. I would recommend Brookdale Imperial Plaza.

Carolyn93268450 September 23, 2014

Imperial Plaza is a very lovely place. I like everything about this facility. I like the rooms. Every time a person moves out, they update the room. They have plenty of restaurants and they have grocery stores inside. They also have a lot of activities. The staff who assisted me was very nice and very informative. The residents were very friendly as well. I just wish they have more covered parking area because they do not have that. They have a few spaces, but it's very limited. The rest of them is open space parking and you can get wet if it's raining. But I think that is the only negative for me because the rest of it is nice. I also specially like the fact that I can rent and I do not have to buy into their food plan. And I am still capable of cooking and I like to cook.

Nichole1 September 23, 2014

Imperial Plaza was very nice; it was gated. They were very friendly. The apartments were very nice too. They have a lot of good activities. They have something that keeps a person occupied for hours. The food was good. They had several dining areas, and it was just very nice overall.

Caring6783 September 17, 2014

I was very, very impressed with Imperial Plaza. They changed management, and many improvements have been made. I talked to one lady from the staff, and she was excellent; her name was Denise. They had different floor plans that were more favorable to me than others. People were mingling around, and they had a list of activities, all kinds of things.

Caring92808550 August 28, 2014

I am in Imperial Plaza right now. I like the fact that they are managing our medication and the food is excellent. The staff is very good and helpful. They have activities, but I don't participate.

Terri19 July 31, 2014

My uncle just moved in to Imperial Plaza and so far it has been very good. It's a beautiful facility. We met residents there and everybody was very warm and very cordial. My uncle liked the facility a lot and I think he will have a good time in this facility. The staff knew everybody's name. They explained the meal package situation and they really had a nice-looking restaurant. They had a grill for grill time. They also have a little pub style where you can have a glass or wine or a hamburger which he love. They have a mini mart, a mini pharmacy, and a bank so he would really not have to go out.

guardianangel64 April 09, 2014

Don't even bother wasting your time with this facility. It is poorly run. The managers don't care aboit the residents. They never call you back when you have concerns. The staff in Assisted Living is HORRIBLE! They curse and yell. They never respond when my loved one hit their call bell. They never changed her linens or her clothes. The management teams is the worst I have ever experienced. The only highlight was a companion that was very attentive to my loved one's needs. I am sorry I even considered this an option.

Thank you for taking the time to share information about the experiences you and your loved one have had at Imperial Plaza. Please be assured that the safety and well-being of our residents is our first priority and we share their concerns as well as the concerns of their families. We will share your feedback with our regional team and hope you will call us at 877-400-5296 to discuss this in greater detail.

LovelyLady00000125 February 26, 2014

My father in law is in Imperial Plaza. There were multiple levels of service available, independent, assisted and nursing. There are amenities on the property like banking, a grocery store and it’s close to my home. They seem quite competent and helpful and he’s very happy. He has a larger than adequate one-bedroom apartment with a small kitchen and bath. He’s playing pool, poker and goes to the gym.

Caring82054050 December 31, 2013

Imperial Plaza was an older facility but it was fine. It was clean and accommodating. Their activities were pretty much the same as with what the other facility had. I thought there were a lot of similarities at what they were doing. With regards to the residents that they have there, they seemed to have a younger population even though the facility was older. I would recommend this facility but they need to clarify exactly the age level that they are providing for even though there were some who were around my age.

Carl5 November 22, 2013

I did check out Imperial Plaza through Caring.com. I had a tour with the staff there. It was a very nice facility; however, it was too big. It was a very big place. They have over 1100 residents and I think they have six buildings onsite. It did offer quite a bit. They provide daily activities, like different games, for their residents. The one thing that was very positive and good was that there was a lot of flexibility in terms of meal plans. You don't have to include all your meals and you can do ala carte. You can rent a studio or a one-bedroom or a two-bedroom but you don't necessarily have to have all the meals. You have that flexibility, so economically that's a good think for people who don't want to eat all three meals a day. They can choose what meal plans they want and that is a good feature. Also you can transition to another care level and you don't have to move again. They have a transition. So you can go into independent living to assisted living to memory, they're all in the same place and that is a good thing too.

Nancy73509450 November 11, 2013

I went to visit Imperial Plaza and the lady that took me on tour was very nice. She showed me the models of the rooms and they were good. The residents knew the lady and they greeted her. The residents seemed comfortable and happy. They had different activities like trips, bingo, movie nights, and more which I did not remember.

alph November 07, 2013

Have to remove mother-in-law after 2 months due to severe bed bug infestation. Staff provides no care. Mother-in-law was in same clothes day after day because they did not remind her to change her clothes. They do not assist with daily care in any way. No management available to discuss concerns. Terrible facility

LividLou October 11, 2013

A family member in the independent living area had to move due to a bedbug infestation, which started when a neighbor moved out. Belongings had to be trashed. This relative was traumatized by the situation. Do not put your loved one in Imperial Plaza. I rated it as one star only because it would not allow me to rate it a zero.

Caring1059 August 15, 2013

I picked Imperial Plaza for my mom because of proximity and I had prior knowledge of the place. The room was decent and they had multiple dining rooms which were very nice. They had food choices which seemed to be good. I tried the food and it was good; my mom also thought it was good. They had plenty of activities like bingo, travels, exercises and movies. I liked that everything was onsite like the drugstore, doctors, physical therapists, occupational therapists, etc. The place seemed to be quite clean and they tried to make it homey and friendly. I thought they could improve the application procedure and make it simpler, more straightforward. I would recommend this facility to others.

caring0801113 August 15, 2013

I have been searching for a place for myself and I have decided to go with Imperial Plaza. I chose this facility because I like the services they offer. They essentially meet the needs of their residents. The staff was very friendly. They were also very helpful during my visit. The facility was kept up very well. In general, it is the professionalism of their staff and the cleanliness of the place that stands out best for me.

Joan21 August 08, 2013

I visited Imperial Plaza once. It was a very, very nice place indeed. It had beautiful apartments, especially those that were in the new building. They had different styles of rooms, though they were all closed in. For activities, there were day trips and the like. The lady that showed me the apartments and handled the internet call was the sweetest and was absolutely wonderful. I had lunch with her when I was there so we did extensive talking. The food was also very good and professional served. It was simply excellent.

wille August 29, 2012

My Mother has lived in this facility for the last month. The staff were nice and friendly. The assistant living supervisor was unfriendly and very unaccomodating. She would not work with e or return my phone calls for a concern with y mother. We moved her out. This place might be good for independent but I would not suggest using it for assitant living.

shrinkwrap December 13, 2011

My grandmother lived at this facility for about five years, and it was a delightful place to go visit her. The staff were very friendly to me, my family, and my grandmother. Activities were common, and there was a reliable shuttle to the grocery store so residents did not have to drive themselves or rely on family members. The outside areas for residents to spend time in were beautiful and well-kept. One thing these areas are known for are their population of albino squirrels, which are fun to watch! The dining areas were also very nice. There were three different rooms that one could eat in, two for more casual dining and one for formal dining. A hairdresser, doctor's office, and general store were also on site. All in all, it was a great community that included most amenities on site, making it very convenient for the residents. I would recommend it to anyone.

BruBradel July 01, 2011

Imperial Plaza is an exceptional assisted living community located in the older and established Ginter Park neighborhood of Richmond, Virginia. Their campus consists of three high-rise buildings that are all connected through interior passageways, so residents can travel from building to building without leaving the climate-controlled environment. They are also affiliated with a nursing facility, so should a resident need more intense, specialized care, it is only a few steps away.

Imperial Plaza offers personalized assisted living plans, which works well for the diversity of residents that live in the community. Although many of the residents are fully independent and are there for peace-of-mind, others need gentle reminders or assistance, which another part of their population requires more services. I toured Imperial Plaza on two separate occasions when I was looking for a place for my mother. Imperial Plaza was one of my top choices, although in the end, I went with a community that was smaller.

Imperial Plaza operates as a little town. With a bank, post office, beauty salon, doctor and dentist offices, general store, theater, arts and crafts room, physical and occupational therapy and more, this community works best for those who have the ability to get around on their own, even if they are restricted to a walker or a wheelchair. The buildings are large with long hallways and even though they are interconnected, it takes time to get from one place to another. This is a consideration for those with limited mobility.

Apartments are available as small studios to deluxe one and two-bedroom units, but those in the assisted living part are usually in the studios. There is a fully qualified nursing staff available to provide assistance, whether it is transferring from the bed to a wheelchair, or toileting help. Everyone seems nice and helpful, although I was concerned if they had enough employees to offer the level of help to all of the residents living there.

Imperial Plaza has a robust calendar of activities to keep the residents occupied, ranging from square dancing demonstrations to antique appraisals and everything in between. When you walk through any of the corridors of Imperial Plaza, there are always residents on their way to some activity.

Although there is a formal dining room where residents take their meals, Imperial Plaza also has a restaurant-style meal location where you can order from a menu (for an extra fee). It seems to be very popular.

Although it's an older and larger assisted living community, Imperial Plaza has a good reputation and its fees are reasonable. But those choosing Imperial Plaza probably should be outgoing and self-confident going in, since it is so large. My mother would not have been happy there because it was so big. But I was impressed with how it operates and all of the amenities. It definitely is worth a look, as it is one of the premier assisted living communities in the greater Richmond area.

From Brookdale Imperial Plaza

Brookdale Imperial Plaza is a senior living community located in the heart of Richmond, VA. It's well-liked by seniors and their families for the care and amenities it provides to residents as well as its proximity to all that Richmond has to offer. Located in the city's Northside area, the facility in near acute and specialty medical care, transportation options including easy access to I-95 and Joseph Bryan Park. The community prides itself on providing residents with lifestyle options that meet their specific needs--whether related they’re looking for an independent living arrangement, assisted living or memory care.

FACILITIES AND AMENITIES

Brookdale Imperial Plaza offers residents who are able to live independently and those who need assistance the chance to live in a one- or two-bedroom apartment that features a fully functional kitchen, large closets and step-in showers. The community’s memory care center is designed to provide a safe and supportive environment for residents with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.

All residents are able to enjoy on-site devotional services and specialized dining programs that meet individual needs and preferences, private dining rooms or room service, a fitness center and billiards lounge, and raised gardening beds. Many other meal, activity and exercise options are also available upon request, depending on residents' interests and abilities.

The community also features a bar, on-site Wi-Fi, a computer lounge, a library, a game room and an arts and crafts center.

Healthcare

Brookdale Imperial Plaza offers an array of healthcare programs and services for residents. Those who need assistance with daily activities including bathing, dressing and taking medication will find a caring, professional staff ready to assist them. Residents with greater needs related to cognitive or physical impairment can benefit from the facility's highly trained staff. Those living with dementia receive specialized care designed to allow them to live as independently as possible.

The community is located near several of the top hospitals in Virginia, according to U.S. News & World Report. These healthcare facilities include Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Bon Secours St. Mary's Hospital, and Memorial Regional Medical Center. Each offers specialized and acute care for seniors in cardiology, oncology and a range of other medical conditions.

Health Programs

Brookdale Imperial Plaza is not a full-service, acute care senior living facility. However, it does offer several health programs designed to help residents at different cognitive and physical levels live as independently and happily as possible. These health programs include reminiscence therapy, a type of dementia care meant to enhance residents' mental well-being and Optimum Life and Celebrations, a mental and physical health program designed to help all residents pursue their own personal peak levels of health and emotional, intellectual and spiritual fulfillment.

There are dentists, optometrists, speech therapists and podiatrists who make regular visits to Brookdale Imperial Plaza, in addition to the on-site registered nurses and licensed practical nurses. Residents have access to round-the-clock care and medication management.

Activities and Events

Residents at Brookdale Imperial Plaza in Richmond, VA, have no shortage of activities and events from which to choose. The community has a full-time, on-site activities director who plans daily, weekly and monthly events with the goal of engaging and entertaining residents. There are regular organized trips into Richmond to enjoy dining, shopping and entertainment. Plus, residents can participate in on-site activities such as card games, book clubs and social events.

Features of Brookdale Imperial Plaza