Brookdale Portage

3100 Old Centre Avenue, Portage, MI, 49024

Reviews of Brookdale Portage

Caring1887 May 16, 2015

At the other place, they were willing to work with you whether you had VA or a Medicaid waiver. Wynwood was not willing to work with you like that; it was self pay. The rooms were OK. They have a little golf course inside, a botanical garden, and a courtyard. It was a beautiful place.

Kim103824550 March 23, 2015

Wynwood of Portage was nice. It definitely was assisted living, not independent, so you don't have really an apartment; you just had more of an efficiency or a big room to yourself. One thing I liked about it was they had small dining rooms on each hall so you got to eat your meals with your neighbors, basically. It was nice, clean, and updated. Staffing seemed good, and they offered physical therapy. It was a little more hands-on, of course, than the independent living places.

Caring103143150 December 18, 2014

Our visit at Wynwood of Portage was a good experience, but they offer more care than what was necessary for our condition. I like that it's homey and comfortable, but it’s located in an area that we didn’t want to live in.

Caring25535350 December 14, 2014

Wynwood of Portage is very expensive, but everything is deluxe. The rooms are very nice. If I had the money, this facility would be my choice.

Caring94338450 October 27, 2014

Wynwood of Portage was nice and well kept. The staff was very nice. They were very pleasant also. However, it was not a good value compared to the other facility. Nevertheless, the grounds were very well kept. It was in a pleasant neighborhood. It was in a good location. A very expensive neighborhood surrounds it.

Caring94907950 September 12, 2014

I went and visitied Wynwood of Portage. My mom was not ready to move in just yet, but that's where she would want to go because she knew people who have gone there and love it. It had appropriate décor. It seemed a little old fashioned to me, but I think that's probably for the target audience for care. It was perfectly modern, but the décor seemed appropriate for the age group served. I met with the person who handled all the placements, and she was exceptionally helpful. The other people I had interacted with were all very friendly and positive.

The rooms were large enough for a nice sized bed, a pretty good sized sitting area, and a nice walk-in bathroom space. It was pretty big, so you could have privacy when you wanted it. They seemed laid out to be safe. They served me lunch, and it was a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5, but I had a feeling that the food was probably appropriate for the audience because it was not heavily seasoned. The dining room was very nice and welcoming. She told me of the things that they do, and they do quite a lot, but I don't remember them specifically. I liked the helpfulness of the staff, and I would recommend them to others.

Barb14 June 10, 2014

Mom has been in Wynwood assisted living since March. It was very helpful. The staff was good, but I have found out since that they weren’t completely upfront with me about things. They told me that they would bill personal care services in April to May. That’s not at all how it goes. They bill in advance. Some of the food is really good, and other times, she doesn’t care for it at all. They have a good selection of activities. They have frequent ice cream socials. Once a month, you can go to the grocery store. They have arts and crafts, which she doesn’t generally go to. There were a lot of things offered that my mom doesn’t participate in or hasn’t yet.

In my mother’s room, one room was a bathroom that has a shower, and the shower has a bench. In that room is a twin bed, a night stand, and chest of drawers. It has a good-sized closet, and we were able to put in a refrigerator, a microwave, a small entertainment center, and her recliner. I like the location and I like that she can have her cat with her. She would still much rather be at home, but that just can’t happen, so she’s learning to adapt.

rj1 April 22, 2014

Very professional and nice staff. Facility is beautiful and has a unique arrangement built around six community centers each having a very nice, quaint dining room. Great support system with nurses and have doctors on call. Rooms for meeting and social activities; a hair salon and physical therapy room. Wynn Wood does not have a Community charge like other facilities (which range from $3,000 to $10,000) but does suggest an advance payment of $3,000 to hold your reservation to move in when ready which is applied to your first month's rent. Provides basic furniture and room for your own. Located in a beautiful and safe neighborhood.

Caring81863350 March 31, 2014

My mom is at Wynwood. We chose it because it is close to our house. I like that is it clean, up to date, and friendly. There is plenty of room for what she needs. The dining area is up to date and friendly too.

Caring74723450 December 02, 2013

Wynwood of Portage was nice. They have an intimate type of setting. At other facility I visited, they have a big community, whereas with this one, they have sort of like little neighborhoods within the building. The facility was nice and clean. It did have nice décor and everything; however, the hallways were sort of dead-end hallways. They don't have a particular floorplan where you could go for a walk around the facility. At that place, you just walk in a hallway that turned around and then walk down another hallway that turned around and that kind of thing. They did have nice rooms and smaller dining rooms. I would recommend this place; however, it just ended not being a right place for us.

Caring5305 April 24, 2013

My husband and I visited Wynwood and we did not like the place. I did not like the location and the whole set-up. But the staff was very kind, nice and wonderful. The price was also not that bad. It was just not what we were looking for.

LMNHeper February 28, 2012

My Father in Law is staying at WynWood of Portage. My husbands family was not sure of where to send my father for the care and attention he needed, but now we are all very happy that they chose WynWood of Portage. The first time I drove my kids up to the home he is staying it it was simply as if we were visiting Grandpa in his own apartment building. Very beautifully landscaped yards, and nice looking building fronts. Never would you know it was a nursing home facility by the outer appearance. In fact my youngest daughter even asked me, are you sure we are at the right place mom, this doesnt look like a sick place to me! The innocence of kids! The staff here is oh so caring! My father in law has admitted to loving it here. He even has a crush on a few of his nurses I think! Such caring and sweet people to not other my father in law but to our entire family. The staff here really goes out of its way to make sure everyone is comfortable and taken care of at all time. They have a great way with working with my father in law and he always has a new story to tell my husband or I when we visit or phone him about a friend he has or a staff member who has gone that extra mile for him to make him feel that much more special and loved. He truly loves it here and I am soo happy for that! I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for that great care for a loved one or friend of their own!

From Brookdale Portage

Brookdale Portage provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Features of Brookdale Portage

• Pharmacy
  • Physical therapy
  • 24 hour nurses: Yes

• Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs

• Private services

• Staff patient ratio: 8 to 1
  • Minimum age: 55

• Licenses: Home for the Aged

• Technology extra: Emergency Call System
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Brookdale Portage