Beatitudes Campus

1610 West Glendale Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85021

Reviews of Beatitudes Campus

Caring90913550 July 31, 2014

My mom is in Beatitudes and it was in our price range. Her room was very clean; it has a new carpet and counter top. It was very nice.

Marybeth3 June 07, 2013

My mother is moving into the Beatitudes in a couple of weeks. The staff is friendly. Everything in there is comfortable. They offer activities and things that my mother likes to do the most.

Cheri4 March 29, 2013

My mother was in The Beattitude in Phoenix, AZ. It's a wonderful, wonderful place. The people were very helpful, caring and respectful for her illness and her needs. We didn't have any bad encounters with anything from the food to the nurses to the marketing people. It was a very wonderful, wonderful experience. The rooms were roomy and they have twenty four hour care. The staff were very accommodating to what her needs were.

Haley Capreni December 05, 2011

Beatitudes has always been one of my favorite independent living facilities. The residents have many amenities and the residents are always so much fun to talk to as they are mostly happy people. Every time I visit, the independent living residents always have so many new stories to tell me about new adventures they've had or new experiences. The independent living section of this facility is really active and wonderful.

It's the assisted living and memory care areas that I am concerned about. The assisted living residents seem happy, but no way near as satisfied and fulfilled as the independent living residents. Now I know that both areas, overall, need more assistance and that they, for the most part, are not as active as independent living residents, but I've had residents and family members tell me things that I think need to be addressed by the staff.

One concern being the activities offered to the assisted living and memory care residents. From what I have been told, the assisted living activities are very uninventive, they are the same run of the mill activities you would find in every other facility. I have had so many residents tell me that they are tired of doing the same activities day in and day out. The problem I have with the memory care activities is some of them are not memory care appropriate. These residents need activities that help to stimulate their senses and trigger different memories, but they are doing activities that have no therapeutic value. Stuff like "milk and cookies," while first, this is not an activity at all, but it also does nothing to help fuel their memories. Where as, the independent living residents have different activities offered daily, they have a lot more amenities and services available to keep them busy, and they also go on really fun field trips. They say that the assisted living residents have full access to the independent living amenities, but I rarely see the residents leave their own area, and the assisted living residents do go on outings as well but it usually to the grocery store and such, sometimes they will go somewhere fun.

Another issue I have with the memory care area is that the staff seem to treat the residents like children, they almost talk at them instead of to them, and they rarely let the residents make their own decisions about things. Not only have I been told this by many residents and family members, but I have witnessed it first hand. The staff need to be encouraging these residents to try and maintain as much independence as possible, but they don't. They prefer to do everything themselves instead taking the time to assist the resident in helping them do things on their own. I have seen many residents give in and just let the staff do it all, but they are adults and they should be able to decide what they want to do that day or what they want to wear.

The independent living section is ideal for residents, it makes senior living look promising and exciting and if I were looking for independent living, then I would without a doubt choose Beatitudes. I have had many families and independent living residents tell me one of the main reasons they chose Beatitudes was because of the Town Plaza, which is what they call the center of the facility where all the dining and amenities are. The residents rarely have to leave the facility because everything they need is pretty much right there, but sometimes I wonder if people are so excited about all of the amenities or how extravagant a facility is, are they overlooking the important things like quality of care. A facility could be the Taj Mahal but if the care is lousy, is it really worth it?

The staff in the independent living section is great for the most part although they can get busy and become a little snappy, but it's rare and when it has happened I've seen the residents crack cute little jokes to try and get the staff members to smile, which works most of the time. But it is not the residents job to cheer up the staff, it should be the other way around. I do know that the staff are performing their duties, and the residents all seem very well cared for, but I don't know, the bedside manner can be pretty poor at times. Even though the residents are cared for adequately, I do think that personality is very important and sometimes the staff just seems so robotic.

The residents in all care levels seem to get along well with each other, I always expect to see some conflicting personalities, but I really haven't here. There are so many different personalities yet they all seem to interact great with one another. I love watching the different dynamics at play, each resident is so unique.

The dining options at this facility are great. There are many choice for the residents, they can eat what they want to in the atmosphere they want to eat in. They are not stuck in the same dining room eating the same meals day in and day out. They can have fine dining one day, casual the next, maybe go cafe the day after that, they can eat pastries in the coffee shop or opt for cocktails in the bar. Whatever their preference is, it can be accommodated here. There are a few married couples in the facility and it is really cute seeing them get all dressed up and do on dates at Elaine's, which is the fine dining area.

My overall opinion of Beatitudes is that if you are a caregiver or person looking for an independent living facility, then Beatitudes would be a perfect choice, but if you are in need of assisted living or memory care than I don't think it is the best option. A facility needs to treat every resident equally, and it is my personal opinion that at Beatitudes, the independent living residents get the best of everything, while AL and memory care are kind of put on the back burner. I just have had a lot of complaints about these two care levels, so I would personally steer clear. However, I would suggest a visit nonetheless to form your own opinions about the facility as a whole.

A Concerned CNA December 05, 2011

Beatitudes offers a range of housing and care, from independent living to skilled nursing care; it also offers memory care. The facility is centrally located and easy to get to, although parking can be tough, since most is reserved for employees and residents. There is a hospital nearby, which doesn't have a very good quality of care, but at least it's close.

This is a gated community now, with security tightened up from the past, which is good, since it's in a high crime area. A fob key is needed to get in unless you go through security. And staff members have keys to all apartments, which some residents do not like for privacy reasons.

The building and grounds are rather drab and cold looking, but once you get inside, it's better; there are two new apartment buildings with a bistro and a revamped assisted living section.

The assisted living portion houses 100 residents and offers three levels of care. Specifically, Level 1 includes laundry and medication reminder services; Level 2 covers assistance with showers and meal reminders; Level 3 is memory care. There is also a new wing in the nursing home part for memory care. In the new apartments, people must buy in unless they're grandfathered in.

The activities are amazing. For independent living and assisted living, activities offered keep everyone busy if they want to stay busy. Scheduled events include storytelling and sessions devoted to residents helping kids read, trips to the grocery store and casinos, even an annual prom. In assisted living, there are also church services, yoga and other exercise classes.

One thing that's a drawback for some residents in assisted living is that they must eat their meals down in the common dining room or pay for them in the facility's bistro; some of the living units have kitchenettes, but they are expensive and there are few of them. The quality of the dining room food is not very good; one resident also complained that the portions are not sufficient"”and have recently been cut further.

And there is always a problem with the building's air conditioning; one resident recently had to leave her apartment for a week while leaks were repaired, and that kind of disruption seems fairly common.

But the quality of care is excellent. In fact, if I had to put my mother in a place, I would put her here. Beatitudes is affiliated with an agency that comes in to help with skilled care and a registered nurse on staff to help with managing medications and some other nursing concerns; residents are billed extra for the care they receive.

The staff is well trained, attentive, really friendly and on top of the people who live in independent living"”and whether they think they should go over to assisted living. Sometimes, they go a little overboard with pressure to do this. A lot of the residents feel that once they go over to assisted living, they will lose their independence. If that's not the message Beatitudes wants to convey, it may need to communicate better with residents and their family members.

wechryberera November 17, 2011

The personnel were very caring. Very clean.

S.Sherrill June 10, 2011

The Beatitudes Campus of Care was one of Phoenix's first assisted-living facilities, and still sets the standard for others. They have just completed some major upgrades to the property, adding two new apartment buildings and a lunch bistro, among other things... Residents enjoy spending time outside, (many of them with their dogs;) walking through the grassy, shady gardens. This is a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere, for people from all walks of life.

RedSoxFan June 10, 2011

Friend or relative of resident

My father was a patient at the Beatitudes Campus (in their assisted living faciliites) for almost 3 years. He suffered from Alzheimer's and was placed on a special floor in the facility that caters to those individuals in the advanced stages of memory loss and Dimentia.

What I loved about this facility were the caregivers; and the approach that the Beatitudes took when dealing with their patients.

The caregivers were tireless; constantly catering to the needs of their patients. Although all of the caregivers helped my dad at various stages of his illness, and at various times of the day, they all treated him the same....with kindness, with respect, and all were very professional.

The approach that the Beatitudes took with respect to dealing with their patients in the advanced stages of memory loss, was different from other facilities that we looked at. Rather than subjecting their patients to a regimented schedule of "when to eat", "when to have TV time" or "when to go to sleep"; the Beatitudes prided themselves on letting the patients dictate what they wanted to do and when they wanted to do it (to a degree of course).

If my dad was hungry at 2:00am, they would get him something to eat, if he wanted ice cream for dinner, they would give him ice cream...if he wanted to walk up and down the halls in the middle of the afternoon, he could do that. They offered the patients the freedom to do what makes them feel good. Don't get me wrong, they did have some organized activities for them; occasionally they would bring someone in to play piano or someone to sing to them, but for the most part, their feeling was that the regimented schedule would not only frustrate the patients, but make it more difficult for the caregivers.

Although my dad had an assigned room, we very rarely found him there. Very often we would find him napping in another person's room. That's what we loved about this facility...if he wanted to nap on the couch or nap in someone else's bed, they offered the patients the freedom to do this. I never heard the nurses and/or caregivers say "no we can't allow you to do that". They did the best they could to allow the patients to feel comfortable.

I always felt that the nurses and caregivers in my dad's facility truly cared about him. Sadly, my dad passed away this past January, but the measure of respect and care shown by the staff at his memorial was unbelievable. Most of the nurses and caregivers that took care of him, not only came, but said some kind words in their remembrance of him.

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the staff and the facility!

From Beatitudes Campus

For over four decades, Beatitudes Campus has offered assisted living as an integral part of our lifestyle and continuum of health care services. Residents of our Plaza View Assisted Living benefit from the personalized care and support they need to continue living as self-sufficiently as possible and engaged in life. They can participate in favorite activities and interact with neighbors, friends and staff. They can enjoy the many amenities, activities and events available on campus. The program of care developed for each resident addresses specific needs and desires, and guides our dedicated staff in delivering respectful, compassionate services. These may include assistance with bathing, dressing, grooming, medication administration and more.

Through our award-winning Comfort Matters research and education initiative, Beatitudes Campus is improving dementia care practices across the spectrum of early, moderate and advanced stages.

Features of Beatitudes Campus