Brookdale Paramus

186 Paramus Rd., Paramus, NJ, 07652

Reviews of Brookdale Paramus

Anonymous107414150 May 28, 2015

Emeritus at Paramus was a newer facility, but it was significantly more expensive. It was more modern. The staff was very accommodating. They called to follow up a few times to find out about what our decision has been.

John105589350 May 02, 2015

It is a Brookdale community in Paramus (Emeritus at Paramus). The staff is very informative about the programs that they offer, and they also helped us with some VA benefits. The place itself is great. The rooms are very nice, very clean, freshly painted, and had new carpeting. My mother-in-law just moved in on the first of April. They have everything there in terms of activities for the people. She does bingo every day, and they do have transportation. I think they do a restaurant once a week, and they also do shopping. It seems to be very secure. There is always someone at the desk and someone who can lead you and show you around. No one is walking around by themselves. There is always a person who will take care of whatever. Right now, everything seems to be very good. She gets her medication and her meals right on time. We're really very happy so far.

Rbabitts February 09, 2015

I would not recommend this facility to anyone. We placed my mom here. My Dad passed on Dec. 30. After we told my Mom about my Dads passing she became very upset. She was given medication to help her deal with the loss of my Dad by there doctor. My Sister came to see her and the meds made my mom completely lethargic. My sister asked the staff to watch her because of the condition she was in. The facilities coordinator explained to us that my mom did not want to go the bed so they decided to leave her in her wheel chair unattended. My mom fell out of her wheelchair and was taken to Hackensack hospital she suffered a broken nose and lacerations, a severe concussion. one month later she has still not recovered, she lost the ability to swallow and was given a feeding tube. My moms doctor believes she may have lost the desire to live possibly due to depression and her current condition. The staff was warned about my mothers condition before the accident by my sister instead of placing her where she could of been watched they were negligent by leaving her alone in the hall way. This accident could of all been avoided if Emeritus was able to use professional judgement regarding my mom and her condition. What makes us even more upset about Emeritus is my mom has been hospitalized since and is currently in a rehab facility for the past month without anyone calling from this facility to see how she is. When someone placing there loved ones in a facility you would not expect them to end up in worse condition. Please do not make the same mistake our family is going through.

Caring96095150 November 07, 2014

My parents are currently at Emeritus at Paramus. We chose this because of its location and a family member has been in the facility. The staff are OK, but the issue was more of the food. Sometimes they run out of food and they don’t have what they are offering. They don’t have fresh fruit on a daily basis. With their rooms, we had issues with the carpeting stains. They came in to clean it, but it still is not good, and it smells. They do have activities like board games and walks. My parents haven’t made much comment on it. They have things that go on a daily basis.

As valued family members and residents, what you and your parents think is important to us. By giving us your feedback, you are helping us to understand what we need to focus on improving. Your feedback is always appreciated and will be reviewed.

Ed26 October 16, 2014

The style of Emeritus at Paramus is very different from the other Emeritus, but maybe somebody might like that type of style better. It is more run like a business, and people are focused on accomplishing their job which makes a little cold atmosphere.

Lynda12 August 14, 2014

The Emeritus building was a hotel at one time and there were a lot more apartments. It was not as close knit group as the other but it has the same type of activities -- they take you to the doctor, for example. The rooms were small but the walk-in closets were bigger. There are shelves right outside each door where people can place flowers or pictures and I liked that. There was a kitchenette on each floor where you could use their oven or toaster. The staff was kind enough to take us around even though we didn't have an appointment.

kdvans January 31, 2014

We liked Emeritus at Paramus. The place is quite impressive facility wise and staff wise. Their rooms are very nice and clean. It didn’t smell anything at all.

Mark22 September 26, 2013

Last month I visited Emeritus at Paramus. I have no problems with the location of the place. The facility is kept up really well. It appeared to be clean and organized. The people I spoke to are very nice. It appeared that the staff knew what they were doing. I was able to see the rooms and they seemed spacious although the room space is not well maximized, meaning you can't get in large furniture inside the room. Some of the rooms were good and some were small. I would recommend Emeritus at Paramus to others.

M&J's daughter August 08, 2013

I went for a tour unannounced. The concierge was very nice and greeted me with a smile and offered me something cold to drink. Christine came out and introduced herself. She provided me with an abundance of information and she was very knowledgeable of the company and the building and the services they offer. She gave me information on VA benefits that not one other place offered me. She showed me through the building and the dementia area. She explained what the memory care neighborhood was and how it's run. I was introduced to multiple staff members throughout the tour. Everyone took the time to say hello and everyone seemed to like Christine. The rooms are somewhat smaller than other I've seen in the area but they were all clean and appeared to be refreshed with new carpet and paint. There is not a bad view from any of the apartments that I saw. The residents seemed to be clean and happy. There was an activity where everyone was wearing beach themed attire and music filled the air. The menu looked delicious and Martin who is in charge of the kitchen was very nice and reviewed the menu. Mary seemed to be a spit-fire and seemed to truly like being with the seniors. Christine acknowledged there has been some turnover in staff but from what I could see everyone that is working there now enjoys being there and is not just there for a "pay check".

Unfortunately my parents cannot afford to live there and they do not accept medicaid. Christine offered to help me locate a few places that would be willing to accept my parents income. I thought it was extremely nice of her to help me even though we would not be moving in anytime soon.

I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a warm, family environment for their parents or family member. I was so impressed by the professionalism Christine showed. She made me feel like I was a friend of hers and not someone who just walked in the door. This feels like home and there were no odors like other places I toured earlier today.

Caring06131 July 11, 2013

When we visited Emeritus at Paramus, the greeter was very nice, open, informative and helpful. She gave us a wonderful tour and gave us ideas to all the options that we could do like the activities, meals and outings. The rooms were spacious, clean, efficient and quite nice. I would recommend this facility to others.

sunnyday12 March 02, 2013

My Dad has lived here for a few years. The staff now is great. We have a lot of respect for Tom, the E.D. (he's the best one yet... and there have been a few - there was a lot of turnover at first). He knows all of the residents and their family members and I think he truly cares. This kind of work takes a special person -- and he's got it! Mary the activities director is excellent! She is on the ball and provides ongoing interesting events/activities for the residents. I just wish more residents were willing to take advantage of some of her great ideas (i.e. trips outside the facility). She too is very caring and you can tell loves her work! My one complaint is the cost. It's very expensive and we worry about how much longer we can live there. I am a big fan of assisted living for the elderly. It's really an amazing solution for our parents in allowing them their independence while not being alone and having people around to catch you if you fall! (literally! ha!) Like most adult children we all work, and have kids of our own to care for, so it's not easy to care for an elderly parent. Having my parent live here has given me and my family huge relief!. My Dad came into the facility very sickly, not eating, not well at all! . Since living here, he got his strength back and is healthier than he's been in years! We use the Med plan (where the facility orders and manages all the Medicines. There's really a lot to be said for eating well, and taking your meds ON TIME. The nursing staff/aides do a good job with this. There are a few really great ones! Overall we are very pleased with Emeritus. If you can afford it, it's a great place for your parent(s).

Rainbow for Us January 30, 2013

Emeritus was beautiful. Everybody was very warm, welcoming and friendly. The rooms were very clean. The people there who helped me were Donna and Susan. Donna gave me the tour, and she was wonderful. Susan helped me out with different things with my father when he was in hospice care. They went above and beyond help. I went to see the place once before, so they did a follow up phone call. And then they made some suggestions to help me with hospice. They went out of their way to help me.

groutman December 04, 2012

My family member was a patient there. Overall, the facility is clean and well kept and the patients were generally well cared for. The rooms are spacious and private. The quality of food was good, however special dietary needs for those with diabetes or low salt diet orders were never kept up (at least not when I was there). The staff were all extremely nice and cared very much for the patients, however we did have one incident with theft from a staff member that was never resolved. The vast majority of patients in this facility have some form of dementia. So while there are plenty of social activities, there are few patients with it enough for real socialization. For people that are loners this is a pleasant facility, however for someone more social their needs would not be met.Hopefully the can correct this problem.

flapablo September 11, 2012

My Mom, who just passed away in August of this year, was at this facility for almost 9 years. During those 9 years, there were some low and high points. I must stress that I was not there every day, but did come to see my Mom every 6-7 weeks. However, my Dad and Sister were there EVERYDAY!! Not every other day or once a week, but every single day for 9 years. I believe that the reason my Mom lasted for 9 years at this facility, was not due to the or attention from the staff, but from my family. I do not like to generalize, but overall, the attitude here is very lack. No one really seems to care. That is not to say that there are SOME good employees here. However, they are far and few between.
I was blessed to have my family look over my Mom and take care of her. If it was left to the staff there, she most probably would have been gone a lot sooner. May God bless you and please feel free to reach out to me for more personal details.

caring6281 August 14, 2012

We looked into that facility because it's near my house, but we can't have that because of the price. However, I was warmly welcomed at that place. The staff were really good. They were very well-educated and they seem to know everybody that was there. I actually thought the place was pretty good. The facility is clean. The rooms were nice. They showed us a studio type room and it was well put together. The residents there looked fine to me. They seemed happy. They were very friendly to the people that were there. I really wouldn't say it's homey though, because it's for elderly people but I'm okay with it. If I was at that point that I needed care I would like it there. I would suggest that maybe they lower their prices so that they could cater to a lot of people in all levels, not just to the ones who can afford it. I would have gone for it if it wasn't for the factor of price.

STEVE6 July 31, 2012

one of my friends grandfather used to live there.Once i got a chance to meet with them when i went to see them with my friend.I was amused to see the facilities they are providing to those people.The staff there was very hard working and caring.this facility is connected to the 24 hour internet so that the person living there can easily contact with their relatives.Although the look of the building is not that good but overall it is a very good facility to live.

ABCDEF2 May 31, 2012

After visiting the Emeritus at Paramus assisted living center, I was very pleased with what I saw. The overall look of the home is quite drab and the decor is not very up to date. Although, it is quaint and homey, and most of all it is apparent that the staff works hard to keep the home very clean and neat. The staff not only appears to work hard, but seem gentle and kind towards the people living here. People staying at the Emeritus have meals, comfortable living, laundry, fitness, and even a hair salon and barbershop. Overall, it is a decent assisted living center, not to flashy, but with caring staff. I visited this facility with a friend who is searching for a home for a family member. After the first visit, the Emeritus is a top choice for a home. Although, the design and look might be too dull for me to suggest this as a good place to live.

Nicole4 May 29, 2012

I thought this facility was nice and clean. The staff not only appears to work hard, but seem gentle and kind towards the people living here. I had a wonderful experience.

westwooder01 May 25, 2012

Day cares are very lively and facilities are clean and well managed. Senior housing looks good and well managed. The nurses are well informed and very pro-active in terms of giving information to the guest. The senior citizens are well organized and seems peaceful. The counselors are very responsive. The amenities are very nice like food and beverages. Wi-fi is available and internet access is easy. There is a huge pool of nurses that are able to take care of the senior citizens in terms of problematic events. The place is very clean and janitors always clean the area whenever there are trashes in the place. The staffs are very nice and are well informed of their services. The funeral homes are well separated from the area but is well presented and staffs are very nice. The facility is secured as in house guards secure the place for hours. Attorneys are also available in the area for legal purposes.

oneonone May 23, 2012

Family member has been there for several years; too many administrative and nursing changes, rooms not clean, additional charges for lots of incidentals;

Caring500647 February 28, 2012

Initially my search was prompted out of a need for my Mother. Although she is not ready to be place. I thought this facility was nice and clean. I had a wonderful experience and would consider this place when the time is right

Not Sure about the place January 29, 2012

The information I was given prior to admitting y husband was not quite clear and correct. The apartment wasn't 100% ready and took a while for them to finish everything. If I was running the place I would run it completely differently. I hope they can give him a better care now that I have moved him. Not feeling really confident.

FeeinChick July 13, 2011

From Brookdale Paramus

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Location of Brookdale Paramus