Forest Hill Manor

Top Nearby Assisted Living Facilities

Reviews of Forest Hill Manor

November 11, 2015

By Nancy115716250

The staff at Forest Hill Manor and the facility were nice. Her room is clean and well kept. It's small, but comfortable. I saw their dining area, and it looked fine.

August 20, 2015

By SamanthaMissingMom

I have been coming to the Forest Hill Manor for many many years, as I had two great aunts who lived here. From what I could tell, my great aunts enjoyed living here and were well taken care of, but I was quite young (1970's-80's).
When my Mother developed dementia, she realized she could not enjoy her retirement at home as she had planned, and Forest Hill Manor was the place she wanted to go since she remembered her aunt's experience and they have a religious affiliation (my mother is a minister). While we were talking to Forest Hill about my Mother's needs, we were very specific about what her condition was and what her likely care needs would be. We specifically asked where she would be cared for and how. At first all went well because my mother was independent and could care for herself, but as soon as she was moved to assisted living it became clear that these people had no idea how to handle someone with dementia. They were frustrated that she was having trouble speaking and communicating with them, and insisted that they only assist when the resident asks for it (huh?). They had no care plan that they could show me, and when they became concerned that she would walk out of the building, their only solution was for me to move her to skilled nursing at twice the monthly fee. This was specifically what we did not want (skilled nursing) because her only medical ailment was dementia - which requires emotional care, checking in on her, explanations for what they are doing and want her to do, comforting her if she becomes confused or scared - not medical intervention. In fact, it is quite detrimental to put someone with dementia into a medical environment (they don't have their familiar things around them or other people to talk to, etc.). When I tried to work with them to determine ways we could resolve the situation, they basically just shrugged their shoulders and said maybe I should move her somewhere else (even gave me a list of facilities!). After they had the large down-payment from my Mother! So, my review is obviously jaded by my specific experience - but I would warn anyone who is looking to live here that they seem to do just fine as long as the resident is aware and able to direct their own needs - but as soon as the person can no longer control their own care (which is why I would think people would need nursing/assistance?) they basically don't do anything they are not asked by the resident. I also realize now that I didn't see people there with any sort of visible ailments (no wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, or other "unsightly" paraphernalia common among the elderly) in their main building. Even if those people do not require skilled nursing I assume they just put them there to get them out of sight. At the time my Mom was there the Skilled Nursing was maybe 1/3 full, so I suspect when people have actual care needs they realize that Forest Hill can't provide it and they too just take the down payment as a loss and go somewhere they can actually be cared for. I would not recommend spending the money to "buy in" here, and I would not recommend placing a loved one here.

October 18, 2014

By Pat100514550

Forest Hill is pretty comfortable, but more than I can afford. The place was very beautiful facility. I liked the food, and the chef was very helpful in coming out with the food for me. My husband was impressed with their regular diet. They have good menus. It was nice, clean, and gorgeous. They have housekeeping facilities that do laundry for the sheets and towels.

August 28, 2012

By CLOVISUNDERGRADS

My grandfather has been a resident at Forest Hill Manor for the last 18 months. As his physical health has declined, his need for care and assistance has increased and the friendly staff at Forest Hill Manor take care of him in a way the fits his needs, but respects his boundaries and encourages him through the process. The kitchen staff serves hot, buffet style meals three times a day, with a talented wait staff who give the resident and their guests quality service. The food menu is eccentric, and has room to accommodate special diet needs.The building itself is a beautiful piece of architecture in the middle of Pacific Grove, California. Cool weather outside makes it a wonderful area to spend sometime outside and their colorful outdoor gardens are a pleasant place to soak up a little outdoor sun. This is a retirement community, so they do enforce visitation hours. Typically 10AM-7:00PM Monday through Friday, and 8:00AM-5:00PM Saturday and Sunday!

April 14, 2012

By Travisivart

My grandparents have lived in this facility since 2009. I've visited several times, and every time it has been a pleasant experience. This is a converted hotel and still retains the feel. There is a library, billiard room, and a newly converted gym. The only real complaint I can give the place is that their air conditioning unit is extremely loud, and their appliances seem cheap.

Services & Amenities of Forest Hill Manor

About Forest Hill Manor

Forest Hill Manor is an assisted living facility in Pacific Grove, CA that offers residents independent living options and daily support services. Contact Forest Hill Manor for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of Forest Hill Manor