Brookdale Overland Park

12000 Lamar Avenue, Overland Park, KS, 66209

Reviews of Brookdale Overland Park

April 25, 2015

Brookdale was very clean, and the people were very nice, but it wasn’t the facility for my mother. The staff took me on a tour, and it was very nice. If my mother would have been younger, it would be perfect.

March 31, 2015

By Caring104209150

They were really nice, but Brookdale Overland Park was expensive, and they didn't have the right sized unit for my husband. They had an apartment, but he didn't need three rooms with a washer and dryer and a closet. They were nice enough people. The lady I talked to was really knowledgeable and nice.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our community. Your feedback is always considered and appreciated!

October 03, 2014

My mother is in a memory care facility in Sweet Life at Brookdale Place Overland Park. I think the staff working there is very good. My mother is in one of the larger rooms. For the most part, I have been very happy with the community. What impresses me is that I think they have gone above and beyond and tried helping my mother to be comfortable there.

August 28, 2014

By Shirley94457950

My mother is in The Sweet Life at Brookdale and it is great. It is a beautiful place. I interact with the staff all the time. They are very caring and knowledgeable. My only complaint is sometimes on the weekends, they say they are short staffed, which I am having a hard time believing. They are supposed to check on my mom every two hours and there are some times when I or my sister are there, that it's been more than two hours. They need to check on their residents more often. However, I will recommend them to others.

July 29, 2014

The Sweet Life wasn't quite enough assisted living for my mother-in-law. I like the room. I like that there were a lot of activities there that she could do; however, it was way too expensive. My mother-in-law likes it because she had done a skilled nursing at Sweet Life. She wanted to see it because part of her thoughts was that she could continue her therapy with the same therapist, but we weren't able to do that.

June 17, 2014

The Sweet Life was nice, but not quite luxurious. The rooms were more cozy than spacious, but they were nice. I met the residents and staff, and they were extremely friendly. I saw one dining area. They had an area where people could come in and play games. Also, they had a little workout area and a kitchen area. They had activities for the whole month. It was smaller than the other one I looked at, but it was very friendly, nice, and clean. It was definitely a place I would consider, and it would be very nice for people who didn't want a large facility.

August 01, 2013

By Anne23

Sweet Life at Brookdale Place Overland Park was fine. However, it was expensive. The staff was good and a bit more caring. I believe they had more activities.

July 26, 2013

By Jim24

We visited Brookdale Place. We liked the facility and the way the place was set up. We also like the care that they were offering and the location is close to my sister who lives here. My father is moving in next Tuesday. We thought that it's the best place for him. The room we got has a kitchen, a living room, balcony, and a bedroom. They have card games, dance floor, physical therapy, and outings. They also got swimming pool. We all ate there and we all thought it was fabulous.

May 13, 2013

By Fran8

My mother lived in Sweet Life for 6 weeks for rehab. She had a single private room which made a big difference for her. The rooms were beautiful. Mom got a lot of attention from everybody who worked there. The staff was wonderful. They were easy to work with and acted like they were interested in the residents' well-being. The meals were good. There were a little bit of choices for the meals. Mom didn't really do many activities as she just wasn't feeling good and kept to herself. She only played a little bit of bingo. Still, she was happy and comfortable there.

November 17, 2011

By Joshp

The fact that I live in another state presents a myriad of stressors when it comes to making sure my mom has the care she needs while she experiences the ravages of Alzheimer's disease. I have come to depend on the caring staff at Sweet Life to be my eyes and ears when it comes to my mom's needs and they have not disappointed me. When I placed my mom at Sweet Life, she was malnourished, weighing just under 80 pounds. In the 5 months she's been there, they've ensured that she has regular, healthy meals and she has gained 14 pounds and is now at a weight consistent with her height and age. The staff is in regular contact with me regarding my mom's needs and any accidents or incidents she might experience. Every time I visit mom, I can count on seeing her clean, well groomed and comfortable. I can also enjoy the clean, homey atmosphere of the common area. I am very satisfied with the services and the care that the staff provides and would recommend this facility to anyone

June 28, 2011

By Roberts1980

This facility is quite large, offering three types of accommodation. The Assisted Living building is as clean, well-kept, and as luxuriously decorated as all the Brookdale facilities I have seen. The common spaces here are designed to resemble outdoor buildings with façades such as a cinema and coffee shop. The location, broadly speaking, is conveniently near major arteries and intersections but the building itself is in a relatively undeveloped section, so it remains quiet. However, there is pretty much only grass and a few small flowering plants on the grounds, no big trees or landscaped sitting areas. In fact, the whole facility seemed to me to lack adequate space for residents to enjoy the outdoors, with only one small patio per section and minimal provision for activities like gardening. Residents' rooms are adequate, with a small kitchenette, but overall seem a little small to me. Many of them do overlook a school playground which my guide said many residents enjoy. The facility appears to be very well run but I did not personally witness much staff interaction while I was there. On the other hand, there was an extensive list of activities for the residents including exercise six days per week, frequent off-campus trips for shopping or food, and other fun things to do. I would recommend this facility for more active family members, or for those who enjoy having more people around rather than a small group.

Photos of Brookdale Overland Park

Features of Brookdale Overland Park

• Minimum Memory Cost: $6000/month

• State Licenses: N046079

About Brookdale Overland Park

“The sweet life,” “home” and a warm, welcoming place to spend time with friends and family are all words that have been used to describe Brookdale Overland Park over the years. The assisted living community located in the heart of Overland Park, Kansas, is designed to allow seniors with assisted-living needs to enjoy full, active lives while receiving the care they daily care they need -- all while living in a home-like environment.

FACILITIES AND AMENITIES

Formerly known as The Sweet Life at Brookdale Place, Brookdale Overland Park is one of the top-rated assisted living and retirement communities in Kansas. Its facilities include a personalized assisted living area, an area dedicated for residents living with Alzheimer’s and an area for those who need specialized nursing care but want to remain as independent as possible.

The community is located adjacent to its sister senior living campus of Brookdale Overland Park 119th. Residents from the two neighboring communities interact regularly and often form bonds and friendships. Both are a pet-friendly retirement communities whose residents bring energy to all three of its living areas. In addition, the community is a short distance from the city of Overland Park, a thriving town with lots of shopping, dining, entertainment, healthcare and other features that can enhance the quality of life of Brookdale Overland Park residents.

HEALTHCARE

Brookdale Overland Park residents have round-the-clock medical support from on-site nurses, rehabilitation specialists and support staff. Residents’ loved ones and personal doctors also play an important role in ensuring that each resident has a medical treatment plan that enhances the quality of his or her life.

Whether a resident is recovering from a serious injury or illness, working to retain his or her independence, or striving to achieve specific physical goals, staff members are available every day to work with them and their families and physicians.

Each healthcare program at the assisted living facility is designed with individual residents’ personal, emotional, physical and mental best interests in mind. The staff prides itself on doing more than simply delivering “medically-competent” care—but strives to deliver the best possible care in a compassionate manner. The programs exemplify the community’s more personal, less institutional approach to healthcare.

ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS

Brookdale Overland Park residents have a daily array of activities and social events from which to choose. From competitive Wii bowling to listening to music together to card games with friends and staff members, there’s always something to do.

Residents who want to get out and explore the neighborhood can take advantage of organized weekly shopping trips, excursions to the movies and even happy hour. Those who prefer to stay in can enjoy ice cream socials, mix-and-mingle events or Bible study, just to name a few options.

And residents who want to kick back at the community and be entertained can enjoy listening to choir practice, entertainment provided by local artists and comedians and meetings where they and their neighbors can share their personal stories.

Brookdale Overland Park staff and residents work to ensure that everyone feels welcome and included at activities and events. Every resident has plenty of opportunities to exercise, to be entertained or entertain others and to socialize.

Map of Brookdale Overland Park