Brookdale Orange Park

1248 Kingsley Ave., Orange Park, FL, 32073

Reviews of Brookdale Orange Park

countrygirl2 June 11, 2015

I recently had an employee call me to remind that there was a family event at the Ale House for drinks and appetizers. How is it that there is money to spend on things like this yet there isn't money to put out better food, or have more entertainers come in, or better yet, how about more staff.....isn't that a concept. Where is the logic in this? Just more lies they tell you to get you in here. When I came here looking for my mom, they told me there were always at least three people on the floor for the first two shifts plus a nurse. That the rooms would be cleaned twice a week. Really.....the people are lucky if they have two staff working and there have been times when there was only one that had to take care of all three hallways. Its funny though......and it sure is obvious...when the head honchos from the corporate office are there. Then...WOW...amazingly there are three staff members and the ones in the front office are exceedingly friendly and helpful. The turnover in staff is terrible. Why is it that no one from the corporate office is asking why.....why so many of the good workers have left or are going to leave. Oh.....that's right....because when the people from corporate are there, everything appears to be wonderful. I think that the corporate people need to get off the stick and make time to talk to families and perhaps the staff that has left. Pop in unplanned and often. Talk to who you want to, not who is suggested for you to talk to. Don't just come during the day..... then you just might see what we (the residents and families) see. Hopefully this will get read this and eyes will finally open.

Totally Disgusted June 11, 2015

I had been to this building. many times years ago with my church group to visit a couple of our members that were residing there. The staff was always very friendly and helpful and the place had a warm, homey feeling. The time had come now that my mom needed assistance. I came in and spoke with Tiffany and took a tour with her. I've never been so disgusted or disappointed as I was during this tour. The odors throughout the building were foul and worse than that, they were being masked by some kind of air freshener that only compounded the odor. The building looks filthy and the residents' looked un-kept. Tiffany told me that they were going to be remodeling.....what difference would that make I wondered....if its not clean now, how long before the renovations look filthy. There also seemed to be very little staff in the building. When Tiffany showed me the model room, I observed a roach on the floor. Sad, but I seem to have been the only one that noticed it. This visit truly upset me as it used to be such a beautiful place with a great staff. Even coming in the front entrance now, the greeting is very cool and no longer friendly as it once was. No longer are there genuine smiles and caring people. Needless to say, I found another home for Mom. I no longer would recommend this place to anyone looking a home for their loved one.

mayhands23 June 10, 2015

My mother and father has lived at two of the Brookdale Communities. I have been very happy with both location. I had to move them to the Orange Park location because the community was closer to my home. I was so happy when i learned that some of the staff from the old community was now working at Orange Park. The team there is so personable they make you feel like family. Through the passing of my father Latonya and her team made sure my mother was in great spirit everyday. Lana went over and beyond to make sure my mother came out of her room everyday. Latonya and Tiffany is a breath of fresh air. It amazes me to see all of the managers in the dining room during meal time socializing with the residents. I am very happy of the change over in management and the new open door culture that Latonya has put in place for everyone.

Gangster June 08, 2015

I'm a family member of a resident that is still there ,I want everyone that puts a family member in any place, Please keep up with their medicine. ..we are for the second time finding they are not ordering her medicine on time but all shows that she had it every day. You do the math. How does 30 days worth of pills go 45 days........ and aways the same answer, we'll check in to that.. this is happening why to much.... please visit often can't say that enough This facility is ALWAYS SHORT STAFF !!!!!!

unhappy person May 31, 2015

Be careful. Everyone there will promise you the moon, and then be too busy to return phone calls. Sales staff and management put on a good show, initially, but then fail to follow through. When they DO come through with something "extra" (such as daily bathing assistance), it is assigned to an already overworked and stressed employee. I should have paid attention when several residents pulled me aside in the hallway to whisper in my war that this place was not as great as it was purported to be. Limited staff, poor communication, and documented problems with issuing medications. Be careful! You need to explore why all the wonderful staff at Brookdale Orange Park has quit since the new ED was hired. It is definitely not the same place nor is the atmosphere the same for the residents. We have considered moving our loved one.

Caring104009950 April 07, 2015

I found it very nice, and the other thing that I found was that it wasn't affordable. We have seen the apartments, but it was all like one building -- like a room type of thing -- and they had stairs and elevators too because of the elderly. I did find it adequate. We just went in and looked around; that was it. The staff was very friendly. I was impressed with the friendliness at Brookdale Orange Park. They were very accommodating when we asked the questions and stuff.

loveliving March 28, 2015

The memory unit needs some serious help. The odor is terrible .Also; sometimes you cannot even find a staff or Director member to help you. I ask staff where you’re Director. Answer probably up front with her friend. I asked – who is her friend? - Employees stated Executive Director. The med staff and processer are less than par. Many have attitudes. They definitely need more caring staff on the floor. There are some activities but certainly could be more things available to residents. The Director of memory care acts like she doesn’t know what she’s doing. I really don’t like when she calls residents baby, honey or something else, they all have names. I do not recommend the Memory Care Unit especially if your loved one is a wanderer. I can wait to move my love one to another facility. Residents are allowed to wander into all residents rooms without supervision. Falls are common. Beware this Facility. This community is ok; however it doesn’t have the warmth I like to see in a community that cares for elderly. Some of front management is terrible, the way the dress it’s looks like I just enter a club. Not really happy with new management

We are sorry to hear we are not meeting your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and hope you will call us at 877-400-5296 to discuss them in greater detail.

Natalied777 February 10, 2015

Receptionist refused to let me speak with my grandmother, and kept changing her story. For months I have had no issue calling the facility to speak with my grandmother. This time I called and the woman stated that she could not go get her, and that she could only take a message. I told her they have never had a problem doing this for me before, and that this is how I speak with my grandmother. She placed me on hold. When she came back she claimed that they weren't picking up in memory care so she would have to take a message. When 5 hours later I did not receive a call back, I called the facility again. The same woman picked up the phone. She immediately said she can take a message. I told her that is what she did hours ago and my grandmother hasn't called back so I need to speak with her. She claimed she could not go get her. Also, she now claimed that the case was not that memory care wasn't picking up the line, but rather there is no direct line to the memory unit. I informed her to just walk over and get her. She stated she could not do so. I informed her to go get someone else on the phone then. She placed me on hold and then hung up on me. So I called back and she picked up the phone didn't answer and hung up on me again. Then I called back again, and she answered. I asked her what her name was, and she did not answer and handed the phone to another woman. I simply informed the other woman I was trying to reach my grandmother and she said ok and took the phone to her. I don't know why the first woman had to make it so difficult.

Caring103276350 December 22, 2014

We went to Emeritus. It was nice and clean. People were friendly. They had double occupancy rooms, and they were nice. It was pretty homey.

Linda93874450 September 11, 2014

Emeritus at Orange Park seemed institutionalized to me, and it was not quite what my mom was looking for. She still wants to cook her own meals, and they didn't do dietary stuff, so it just didn't seem to be a good fit for her. I think the location is really good because it was right in the middle of Orange Park and it is very convenient there. The rooms seemed a little small for what I anticipated, and I think that was kind of her feeling as well, that the rooms were a little small and kind of basic. The staff was very nice, very pleasant, very welcoming, and everybody seemed to be really responsive when we took the tour and they walked around and greeted people. It just seemed kind of dingy, not the very light, bright kind of thing, but it may be just because of its age.

Steve Walsh August 28, 2014

I cant say enough great things about the entire staff at Emeritus Orange Park. From the initial phone call, tour, decision, contract, move in and care provided was off the charts great for my mother in law. Unfortunately, Mom ended up in the hospital due to end-stage Alzheimers complications and is now in hospice. Diane, the Emeritus head of mental care even visited Mom at hospice. Thank you very much the wonderful care and support to Collin, Linda, Diane, Anita, Marie and all the others that helped make Mom's time at Emeritus so wonderful.

Joanne6111 June 26, 2014

I didn't like Emeritus. The neighborhood was OK; however, the facilities, I think, should have been upgraded. Also, their activities were pretty much the same as anywhere for my husband. I was not impressed with their food.

Caring84233750 May 20, 2014

Emeritus was a small, old, and contained building, and I didn't like it, but it appears they tried to update it. The people were very nice. It felt like a nursing home setting, and it was like putting my mom in a hospital room with two beds. I was not going to put my mother in there. It didn't seem like they had a lot of activities.

Sherry28 April 30, 2014

The reason why we chose Emeritus is they had a Medicaid bed available. It's near where I live. My mother is in the memory care unit, and she is being well taken care of. The memory care unit was just in February, but we've been in the facility since September. The staff is attentive and responsive. They take instructions, they ask good questions. There's an on-site physician, an on-site podiatrist, and an on-site nurse who visit, all of whom are really very good.

Food is good as well, not excellent, but it's good, nutritious. They're in the process of merging with another company, so we'll see what happens. She was asked to share a room, which are typical hotel-type rooms because the building itself is an old Marriott hotel. They have arts and crafts, singing, church, and field trips. They have all of the activities you would want. My first impression was that it was neat. It was clean, and the people, the staff, even the residents seemed really friendly. The telephone system is old. It needs to be replaced. Its outdoor area, like the garden patio, needs attention.

Cheryl26 March 31, 2014

The staff at Emeritus at Orange Park has been absolutely wonderful to work with. They seemed to take time to get to know the patients well. The place is very clean and neat. The ward we put him in is locked, and that is important to us. We have no concerns at all. Everything we came across is very good. Their food appears to be good. My stepfather said he is fed well. We saw a calendar of activities, and they take them out to dinner, and they were doing some mind stimulation there, and we were very pleased with that.

Wayne4 March 18, 2014

Emeritus is a very clean and very nice facility. . The rooms were good and spacious. If I would have to choose, this would be at the top of my list.

Earle?? December 30, 2013

Emeritus at Orange Park would be comparable to the other facilities I visited. The people that I met were very nice. The facility was very nice. However, their rooms were small and their price was rather expensive. They could improve on these areas.

Susan73408950 November 22, 2013

I have visited Emeritus. It looked like a very nice facility. It was clean and well-kept. There were a lot of various options there and I was just impressed with this facility. The staff was wonderful. They were very helpful people.

Jim16 May 24, 2013

Everything at Emeritus at Orange Park was satisfactory. The price was within my price range and that was very important. The staff were very nice and polite. It was very clean and this would be the best choice if I decide to put my mom in a facility.

JoEllen1 March 01, 2013

I was not impressed with Emeritus at Orange Park. But the staff is all right.

CBo January 24, 2013

Emeritus Orange Park is only about 10 minutes away from my house. It's a nice, big square building with courtyard in the middle. The rooms are nice and the staff is excellent. My mom is fed, they clean her room, and they have activities set up every day for them. They also have a couple of days a week outing to Walmart or out to lunch one day a week. She's only been there for almost two weeks, so she's still having a tough time adapting to the dining experience.

denac November 07, 2012

Emeritus is horrible. I wouldn't even put my dog in there. It was filthy, the rooms were disorganized, it was just haphazard. The floors in the dining room are sticky. It's not acceptable at all.

Shay1 October 12, 2012

The location of this facility is very convenient. It is private and quiet, but right down the road from shops and stores where families can take their loved ones out for a bit. The Orange Park hospital is also literally down the street, which is safe and convenient. There are 64 apartments and the residents seem very happy and comfortable. Many of them spend their time socializing, doing arts and crafts, welcoming their families for visits, reading, etc. We also toured the kitchen and dining facility, which we found was spotless and clear. The patients had very strict, albeit nutritious diets. Compared to other assisted living facilities I've visited Emeritus was clean and the staff very friendly and hospitable. The facility also provides special treatment for patient's suffering from Alzheimer's and dementia. I could tell that they really cared about the patients and took their jobs seriously. The patients seemed to really appreciate the efforts of the staff.

robisonfire July 30, 2012

I find it hard to say anything negative about Emeritus at Orange Park because in the 10 times or so that we visited everyone was extremely helpful and generous. The staff really cares about all of their guests and patients and it really shows. My grandfather is a very stubborn old man and they did their best to work with him in his last days. He told me he actually liked it there and really liked the social atmosphere which gave him something to look forward to everyday. He also liked the variety of food they offered and their different social gatherings. He confided in me that he wished he wasn't so stubborn and moved into Emeritus earlier because he felt like he was a "high roller at a hotel". I highly recommend Emeritus at Orange Park because they were/are always professional and set a high standard for patient care. The thing I found most impressive is this was not just a nursing home this was dedicated apartments for the elderly which really gives the patients a strong sense of pride which can make all the difference in the world.

Middledaughter March 28, 2012

I placed my Mom here for respite & planning to extend once the funding became available . I visited everyday and found that one evening for over two hours there was no help on the whole wing. Another evening a man fell in the hallway and I had to go look for someone to help him. There is very little help or supervision here. Due to lack of staff and some of the staff's attitude I took my Mother home. I do not recommend this ALF.

deesteve October 24, 2011

We moved my sister here from NC to a private home assisted living and it ended up a nightmare.Charla and Amanda went above and beyond to help us out.I would recommend this facility to anyone in need for assisted living.

dawn alford January 20, 2010

My loved one stayed here

The grounds and facility are attractive. However, I discovered the money isn't invested in staffing. My mother stayed there for several months and was not cared for properly, in my opinion. I ended up moving her to a smaller (less fancy) facility where she received significantly better care (more staff; more attention) for literally less than half the cost when you consider the 'hidden' fees presented to you by Village Oaks after your on the premises with your loved one to move him/her in.

From Brookdale Orange Park

Our Family is Committed to Yours.®

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #9423