Hampshire House Assisted Living and Memory Care

1846 County Highway 48, Oneonta, NY, 13820

Reviews of Hampshire House Assisted Living and Memory Care

Caring3366 September 10, 2013

I am very pleased with the care my mother receives at the Hampshire House, Assisted Living Residence, in Oneonta, NY. I am most impressed with the staff, who are kind, caring and respectful to all the residents. The home is clean and well maintained. Visitors are welcomed, social activities are run well and they do a great job with social outings. The most important asset, is the quality of life the residents experience while living there. My mother is very happy ~ Thank You, Hampshire House!

EmmyLou2 September 10, 2013

My mother has some dementia, and she is in her 90's. She has little or no short term memory, but other than that she is lucid and can hold conversations with people with no problem. Of course, she may ask the same question several times during the conversation, however. My father also in his 90's cannot care of her at home, so we brought her to the Hampshire House Assisted Living facility. She is in the "memory care" part of the facility where she is supposed to get extra help (for a fee, of course). My mother complains that people are not helping her when she needs it, which may or may not always be true. I do get the feeling that the "memory care" part of the facility is understaffed. There are times when I have not been able to find an attendant on the floor, or when there was only 1 person caring for the whole wing. That person was about frantic one night when I was there. My mother has told me that she has missed meals because she forgot. I was told by the staff that she was reminded. However, she does have memory issues and sometimes she will forget what she is told right after she is told. She needs more help. That's why she's there. My mother tells me that the food is wonderful, which is a very important part of a facility. After all, the people there have not much else to look forward to during their days. The food service people are delightful, kind, and caring. Most of the other attendants are as well, except for one attendant who sometimes has an "attitude." After all, it takes tons of patience to deal with people who have dementia. I don't think I could do it, but then again, I'm not employed to do that and the staff at the Hampshire House is. I'm sure if my mother was not in the "memory care" side of the facility her experience would be more pleasant for her. The Hampshire House has a good schedule of events for the residents' participation. My mother, however, would need personal guidance to attend. I know that she has gone to some of the events. I feel it would be helpful for the Hampshire House to make changes in their staffing to accommodate better public relations. It would be helpful to give new residents' families a print-out of procedures for medications, their ordering, their administration. Families should know the options for this up front. There should be more than one person who knows the medication procedure and medications as well. When the woman in charge was not there one time and I had questions, nobody else could answer. That was very frustrating to say the least. After all, this is my parent's well being at stake and does not make for very good PR.
In general, the Hampshire House does an adequate job. I do think that staffing in the memory care section is crucial and am hopeful that changes can be made, so that we can let my mother remain there to avoid another transition.

Nancy Alexander Smith August 13, 2013

Hampshire House is a wonderful assisted living facility. The year that my mother spent there was such a blessing. The facility is warm, safe and beautiful. Each of the staff gives their heart and soul to make sure everyone there is treated with respect and dignity. My mother felt that she was a member of a big, fun family. We will ever forget the love and care that she received.

nclark July 24, 2013

My mother was a resident for ~2 and a half years and I was very comfortable with her being there. The staff was kind and caring. My mother had to transition to a nursing home setting and I was extremely disappointed that we had to leave the Hampshire House. I have only good things to say about my mothers stay.

KristinaF January 31, 2013

I was very satisfied with everything in Hampshire House. I can't think of anything that we're unhappy with. Everything is well-kept and the staff is very friendly. The food being served is fine, but my mother said that some of the portions are small. Her room is nice, but could be a little bit bigger. She would like to have a desk or a place to sit and write or do things. I think she's adjusting slowly but surely in getting to know the people. My mother is pretty happy there.

Erin Ayres August 21, 2012

The staff of the Hampshire House were very friendly and patient. Although a worker was hard to find at first. The security of the facility is not the best; I basically just walked in and no one was there to greet me or have me sign in. I had to ask a resident where a worker was and she had me sign in. The nurses and certified nurses assistants knew there skills very well and had a lot of patience with the residents even though they would ask them the same questions repeatedly. The home was very clean and well-maintained. The rooms of the residents are larger than I have seen before and give the residents a sense of belonging. The residents seemed very happy and well taken care of. They were not neglected and were attended to with every call and complaint. There were also activities that the residents could go to and attend to have a more social aspect other than the visitors they have come to see them.

roggej68 April 14, 2012

My grandmother transitioned from independent living to SNF at the Hampshire House. She had dementia and was in the difficult phase between fully aware of her surroundings and unaware. The facility was clean, well staffed and organized. It seems a patient with dementia is never satisfied with his/her current situation, but I think the being at the Hampshire house my grandmother was able to feel safe and taken care of, while still being independent. There were activities for her to take part in and several areas for her to socialize (or just to get out of her room.) The rooms were all private rooms and good sized and very clean! I highly recommend!

clarkv July 31, 2011

My grandmother transitioned from independent living to SNF at the Hampshire House. She had dementia and was in the difficult phase between fully aware of her surroundings and unaware. The facilty was clean, well staffed and organized. It seems a patient with dementia is never satisfied with his/her current situation, but I think the being at the Hampshire house my grandmother was able to feel safe and taken care of, while still being indpendent. There were activities for her to take part in and several areas for her to socalize (or just to get out of her room.) The rooms were all private rooms and good sized and very clean! I highly recommend!

About Hampshire House Assisted Living and Memory Care

Hampshire House Assisted Living and Memory Care is an assisted living facility in Oneonta, NY that offers residents independent living options and daily support services. Contact Hampshire House Assisted Living and Memory Care for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Location of Hampshire House Assisted Living and Memory Care