Brookdale Oceanside

3524 Lake Blvd., Oceanside, CA, 92056

Reviews of Brookdale Oceanside

December 31, 2015

By Jim117662850

Brookdale Oceanside was very nice. I’ve been impressed with the staff. Their room is smaller than what we’d like for our people. They have exercise, movies, games; all varied activities.

December 21, 2015

By Michael117560750

My mom lived at Brookdale Oceanside for about eight months, and they were wonderful. The room that my mom was in was not overly nice, but it served its purpose. We knew that it was going to be temporary and didn't see it as being her permanent resting place. They had seasonal socials, access to a van that would take her out shopping if she wanted to go, bingo, and a variety of activity opportunities for the residents.

October 12, 2015

By mstlone

I am the relative of a current resident who has been at this facility for more than 6 months. This is definitely not the same place we visited when it was under previous ownership (Emeritus). The changeover has NOT been good. TREMENDOUSLY HIGH staff turnover, from the Executive Director (who is/was never there anyway) to the cafeteria workers (ALL of whom up and quit on the same day several months ago). There are a few employees who I believe really enjoy working with seniors, but there are many, many others who need to find work more suited to their personalities. Cutting activities, routinely out of food choices near month end (which represents very poor planning) and the facility itself is getting more run down and repairs are very slow to be done, if at all. We have had to fight to get contractually provided services, and we do NOT get the services we are paying for. I'm not sure any of the assisted living facilities are any better, but if you are looking for assisted living for a relative, I say KEEP LOOKING. Don't waste your time at Brookdale Oceanside.

August 31, 2015

By Glen6

They were friendly, and it looked like a very nice place. The rooms were not very large, and that was one of the drawbacks of the place. The place was nice and well-kept, clean, and everything looked nice about it; it looked like they kept the place up very well, but the rooms were small. I thought Brookdale Oceanside was a clean and friendly place, and the price was very reasonable.

July 28, 2015

By Patricia110738850

I visited Brookdale Oceanside twice, and I thought it was marvelous. The whole facility was beautiful, and the staff was wonderful. They had a wide hallway with couches. The meals were fine.

July 14, 2015

Brookdale Oceanside was very clean and cozy looking inside. They had a fireplace and a little enclave where you could sit with the family. I asked a couple of people there if they liked it, and they said that they really liked it there. The staff was very nice and kind. They showed me all around and showed me the different suites and studios. They looked very nice and clean. They actually had a nurse there that showed us a form to see if I would qualify for aide and attendant -- which was a military pay -- and she went down and asked me a whole bunch of questions. They gave information that they don't have to give me anyway, and that was very nice. They called me and asked me how I was. I hadn't called them back, but they left a message and said "Yeah, we would like to come and see you and see how you are." I thought that was very nice. I would say the rooms were small, but I didn't see the apartments. I believed what I saw was the studio, and they had to share a bathroom. The two studios were very small. Then they showed me one, which had one bathroom that was a little bigger. However, I would have to take the suite or the two-bedroom if I would go in there in a couple of years because I had animals, and they said they accept animals so that made me happy. We didn't have lunch, but they showed us all the dietary plans they had, and they would cook specially for you. The food looked good to me when I walk past them eating. It seemed like the people who lived there seemed to enjoy themselves. They had two dining areas -- one on the first floor and one on the second floor -- and you could go to either one. They were really clean, and that's what I liked with their eating area. They had all kinds of activities. They had bingo, yoga for seniors, and arts & crafts, and they had outings to different churches. I liked the way the place was set-up, and the staff was extremely helpful.

January 22, 2015

Emeritus at Oceanside was very well-maintained, and it had a homey feeling, so it felt very comfortable. The people there were nice, the staff was really helpful and friendly, and the facility was clean and very nice.

January 18, 2015

I liked the looks of Emeritus. It is attractive. I thought it was modern and up-to-date. They have an outdoor area. I liked some of the apartments there. It looks like they have quite a few activities. We talked to them, and they showed us a list of their activities. They were good at answering my questions. This facility is newer. One place we went to was really old.

December 05, 2014

By Lisa98113450

The staff of Emeritus at Oceanside (3524 Lake Blvd.) was great; everything there was great. I saw their dining room, and the cookies they gave us were good. They said that they were changing their dining room around like it is only open certain hours now, but it will be available 24 hours in the future, which was going to be really nice. I thought it would have been really nice for the residents to feel as if they had their own kitchen, so they can go and get something or whatever they want. They seemed to have a lot of different activities to do. I was impressed by the staff. They were all really nice, and they all took the time to call and just keep in touch to make sure, before we made our decision, if there was anything that we needed to help us make our decision.

November 19, 2014

I liked Emeritus at Oceanside, and it was very nice. The staff was informative; the rooms were nice and lovely. When you walked in it is very impressive, the way it is decorated, the grounds were lovely, and the place seemed secured.

October 11, 2014

By Marla6

Mom is in memory care at Emeritus. We love it there. Their staff is top notch. We’ve had a great, many experiences. She loves to dance. They have dance music. They have so many things that she is very busy. She has even lost weight because they have such a healthy diet there, and they keep them very active. They have their whole floor. There are 2 people in each apartment. We have a key to her apartment so we can get in. The whole floor is locked with a code, and family members can get the code to get in and out of the whole floor.

August 30, 2014

Emeritus at Oceanside is a nice facility and it has just been remodeled, so it's very clean and updated. The people were very nice, but the place would be a little too confusing for my brother-in-law. He has some short-term memory issues. The facility has lot of hallways and different places for activities. They also have two different dining rooms on each level. We just thought it might be hard for him to get used to, but other than that, it was very, very nice. The rooms were very nice. They have a shared room suite wherein each person has their own private room, but they share a bathroom and it significantly lowers costs, which makes it much more affordable.

June 26, 2014

By Donna86837550

Emeritus was very clean and nice. The rooms were bright. It looked like they had a lot going on, like bingo and all that other stuff.

March 29, 2014

I chose Emeritus because it was close to the VA Oceanside clinic for my husband. He’s there for almost three years. They usually assign someone considerate who takes care of my husband. The food is pretty good; he does not complain, and he gets what he needs. They just moved him to a lovely room; it’s got lots of sunshine, and it’s bigger than the other one he had, and he likes it. They have everything, and they have a bus that takes them to wherever they need to go, like doctors or shopping. They have a casino run every once in a while.

October 30, 2013

By Marcelle1

We were not able to schedule an appointment at Emeritus at Oceanside, but when we showed up there were very accommodating as far as fiving us a tour. The people were very nice. They have us a calendar of events and all the things that they do with the residents. We were very impressed with all of them. I would give them a 3 just because it's an older building.

September 20, 2013

By Dorothy25

Emeritus at Oceanside is a very nice facility. I like this place. They don't have anything to improve on. Their rooms are nice. They have activities and trips for their residents. I have also tried eating there and the meals are very good. I would recommend this place. They're all good so far.

June 29, 2013

I visited Emeritus and the staff are alright. I remember they were friendly. I ate lunch there and the food was nice.

June 19, 2013

By Jan13

I visited Emeritus at Oceanside for my sister. Their staff were absolutely incredible. They stayed with me and tried to help me at the time that I toured this facility. They were also very kind with the elderly. The facility offered an array of indoor activities. Their rooms were nice and clean. They're freshly painted and the carpets were nice.

June 11, 2013

By Momma#1girl

My Mother is currently living at Emeritus in Oceanside. We all have our opinions, but I have nothing but kind words to say about the staff and the care that they provide. The care staff are trained very well, the ED and Care Director's there are very attentive and knowledgeable. The building is a little out dated and it could really stand for a remodel. (Especially the front lobby bathroom) Honestly I look at the care that they are providing for my mother and not the real estate. The activities are awesome and the food is not bad at all. This is a challenging job and I give 2 thumbs up for all their hard work. If I had to do it all over again, I would not change a thing. I Love that place! It melts my heart to see my mom happy and smiling again since the loss of my father. Keep up the work!

June 07, 2013

By Gennie1

My mom stayed at Emeritus for less than two weeks. I just felt that they were not on top of the job. And there was additional charge every time the level of care increased.

December 22, 2012

By sexymamma

The staff was great they seemed to be very honest about what went on there and not trying to be fake to get us to chose them. They were also very nice and welcoming and willing to answer any questions. They actually had alot of activites there which was surprising I didn't think they would offer so much, like daily walks, bingo, and other games. The facility was nice everything seemed clean and there wasn't that dreaded "retirement home" smell so that was nice. I think that the public bathrooms could have been a little more stocked on the products and cleaner, but that wasn't a make it or break it desicion. The thing that made us not chose to go there was that the price range was a little out of our budget but if you can afford that I think that's one of the top places to go.

October 30, 2012

By dottommytm

I visited this facility with my father in June of 2012. We went there to visit his Uncle who has lived there for about a year as of today. I have been to a few of these places before and this one seemed about average. It wasn't as clean as you would expect it to be for the amount of money it costs to live there. The employees were nice and helpful showing us where to go. The overall atmosphere of the facility was OK. The tenants living there seemed to be in good spirits. My uncle says that he is content with living there, but things could be better. We did happen to eat lunch this day, the food was okay, not to bad, but not the greatest. It seems that they have a bit of activities available for the residents, but I did not get much info on those. I would rate this place 3/5.

July 31, 2012

By demstace

I went to emertuis to do a school charity thing and i only gave it to stars because when i would talk to all the elderly that lived there most of them told me that they were never allowed to go outside. Some of them said they had even tried to escape. Im sure alot of it was there dementia and sickness but still i felt that was a little disturbing to hear. The facility was pretty clean just had that "old people smell" to it and the bathrooms always had toliet paper on the floor. I heard the food was awful there but i never actually got to try it. I do know they had activites which i think is good like bingo and games of that sort.

June 21, 2012

By Peggy4

When we visited the facility, I find that the people around were very warm and kind. We were impressed with the facility with their grounds and the way it was kept up. My mother got a very spacious apartment. We had lunch there several times. The food was better than I expected. I think it was good. They have a lot of activities inside. In fact they post a list every week of everything that they'll be doing. My mom hasn't taken advantage of it yet. The activities are pretty comprehensive.

June 06, 2012

By Neil1

This facility is okay but very old and is like a 1970's building. They really need to update the place. They showed me one of the rooms and it smelt really bad because the carpet was nasty. They need to rip it out and put a new carpet in. On the lighter side the people there were nice and helpful when I toured the place. Maybe it's just one of those days where you show up and it wasn't that nice. Maybe if I have gone there some other time, there would be a new carpet and stuff.

May 10, 2012

By Sharon W.

My mom went into Memory Care there around the first of the year. I have nothing but good to say about them. They are wonderful and very attentive. They keep the residents engaged and involved. I like the idea that they're right on it. They keep the people engaged and not sitting off in a corner with no one tied to wheelchairs like in a nursing home. They were doing mind games with them, and doing a little bit of exercise with them. I was very impressed with that. It's an old facility, not glamorous, but it has exactly what she needs. Whenever the whole family gets together with her, they have a place off to the side, out of the unit where we can meet with her and have birthday parties and such. The only thing is that I don't feel that they took enough time to bring her out into the general population. But it all worked out better for her and better for us.

March 08, 2012

By wewuvu2

I need to find a place for my mom. So I jumped at the chance to visit a friend's mom and it really smelled bad. It was a disgusting urine smell that soaked into my clothing during the visit. My friend was upset because the staff didn't seem to do much during the visit. No one said hello. The patients seemed really sedated and without activities. I still haven't sellected a place for my mom, but I know she's not going to Emeritus.

Photos of Brookdale Oceanside

• Licenses: RCFE
  • State Licenses: 374601952

About Brookdale Oceanside

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Will be getting a remodle starting december 1st, 2013. We have a Fireplace area to sit by.

Map of Brookdale Oceanside