Brookdale Canopy Oaks

9070 SW 80th Ave, Ocala, FL, 34481

Reviews of Brookdale Canopy Oaks

August 22, 2015

I visited Brookdale Canopy Oaks. I was very impressed with the staff. They were very caring and very knowledgeable about what their facility provided. They were very helpful. The apartments were very nice and very clean, and the size was good. The arrangement was really nice and easy for someone to go around. It was a very nice facility. We looked at the dining room, and it looked like a nice dining area. They had some computer type games that they played. One of the things that impressed me was that everybody that we talked to seemed to be really interested in keeping the people there active and keeping them doing things that they could. They had people baking bread and baking cookies. There was a wide variety of activities they could do. However, the thing that impressed me most was that the rooms were newer, and the whole building was newer. The hallway in the Alzheimer's unit was wide, and it had a section down in the middle that had some artificial flowers, trees, and stuff like that. It just looked like it would be a much more pleasant place to be.

November 27, 2014

Emeritus at Ocala West did something very well. The facility itself was not as nice as the other facility my mom is in, but it wasn’t rundown. One of the things that impressed me right away is being in a nursing home, it didn’t smell like antiseptic; it smelled clean, and the only place that I kind of felt like they fell down a little was in their daytime staff. During the week was very good when it came to weekends and nights. Oftentimes if you would try to call there, sometimes the people you would get on the phone -- and I kind of have the impression maybe English was their second language -- and when you are trying to communicate about someone who can’t communicate well, it’s really frustrating when you are calling there and you trying to get information or give the information and they are not really understanding sometimes. So that was one place I would say they fell down. They came out to the house before we had mother go over there. They came over to the house, they evaluated her, and I thought they did a real good referral job of figuring out where she was on the scale, what stage she was in, and how much help she would need. I felt they did a really good job with that, and they seemed to have a really good comprehension of Alzheimer’s and how you handle people who have Alzheimer’s. There were a lot of things about it that was good; my only complaint about it would really be that they needed to do a better job and have some people in there that were more knowledgeable. They could go a long way if they would fix their problem with people.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. By giving us your feedback, you are helping us to understand what we do well and what we need to focus on improving. Please be assured your feedback will be reviewed and used to help better serve our residents and their families.

October 08, 2014

My visit at Emeritus was not impressive. The hallways were wide, but it did not look like a comfortable place; it looked more like a nursing home. The ambiance, the common areas were not very impressive. There were plainly furnished rooms that did not have another purpose but for general activities. They have one little area where people could stop to get an ice cream, and that’s about it they could do there. There wasn’t a lot of activities that they could do there. There wasn’t a lot of activities that I saw at the common area, and there was nothing going on when I was there. The rooms were very plain, smaller and did not have a kitchen. Everyone there was in their night clothes and very casual. There was no dress code.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your thoughts about our community. We deeply regret that we were unable to meet your expectations. Please be assured that we are always trying to engage our residents through scheduled programs and outings designed with their interests and capabilities in mind. From fitness and education programs to cultural and social events, there is something for everyone!

May 29, 2014

My mother is now at Emeritus at Ocala West. All the experience that I have had there is that the staff is very caring and very attentive to her needs. Pretty much, she is always happy when I talk to her, so I know that she is being well taken care of. They are very clean and tidy. It is like a very nice hotel. I know they do a lot of activities with them. They do entertaining things, and they do hands-on crafts. They just do a variety of things to meet all of the interests of the people there.

May 29, 2014

By Steve36

Emeritus at Ocala West seemed a very nice place. My dad talked to some people in the lobby and saw some friendly people. I think he might have had a cup of coffee with somebody interesting there, and he’s very friendly. I talked to a few people, too. They were friendly and helpful. It seemed clean. The lobby seemed laid out nicely, and then there was a space behind, like a courtyard past it. There was nothing negative that I saw. The place seemed to be in the middle of things. It’s not too far from the hospital, maybe about ten minutes away at least. It’s not that far from everything. Overall it was a positive impression.

May 10, 2014

Emeritus was clean and well-kept, but it looked old. It was quite far out in the country and not downtown or near shopping, and that’s primarily the problem I saw. They gave us a brochure of the activities. The rooms were average and nothing special, but it looked like a home.

April 26, 2014

Actually, we signed my mother up for another facility, but then they decided she had too many memory issues, so we put her in Emeritus at Ocala West. Emeritus put her in the memory unit, and then, after she was there for six weeks, they put her in with the regular people. They said she didn’t need to be in the memory unit. She's going to be 90 years old this month, so then they decided it was more age-related and that they could work with her. She didn’t really belong in what they consider the memory unit. It’s going really well. It’s much better in the assisted living. She doesn’t have that problem with patients constantly coming in her room. I would say everybody I’ve talked to there has gone out of their way to be nice. I told them, when mother went in, that she’s going to have to be reminded to go to lunch, and every time we’ve been there they came and got her, and they’re real sweet with her. It’s just been really good. It was a $500 less a month when they moved her, and they didn’t have to do that. They regularly move people into memory care who need it, and move them out of memory care if they consider that they don’t need it, so they're very considerate like that. Everything has been positive. Maintenance has been very good, and they have a caring staff.

March 26, 2014

The staff at Emeritus at Ocala West are very nice and they are taking good care of her. The rooms are very good as well as the food. They do some kind of crafts. They do some minimal sports and a little bowling game, and they play cards. They also do some trivia and they listen to music and watch TV.

December 20, 2013

By Nancy73346250

My mother was at Emeritus at Ocala West for a month. It seemed like a good place. When you walked in, they had big white halls, swing chairs and recliners in the hallways, great activities, yummy food and the rooms were big and comfortable. They had a beautiful outside yard. Although they appeared clean, my mom got different rashes all over her body during her stay. The employees were really young and they could not relate to the seniors at all. They could not talk to them. When they threw my mom in the mental ward, I was beside myself. I thought that they did not have the knowledge or staff to control her. She was difficult but if you knew how to talk or calm her down, it was easily done. The other two facilities she stayed could do it, but this one couldn't. They did not have the skilled staff to take care of them.

December 13, 2013

We went to Emeritus here in Ocala and it's very nice. Although it looked clean, but it didn’t smell clean. It just had an odor. The staff seemed to be very caring. Their accommodation, I would say, is adequate. We did try the food and it was okay. I actually participated in bowling there. They also have bingo, crafts, and cards.

December 01, 2013

By Lynn22

The people looked happy at Emeritus at Ocala West and the facility is clean. They have plenty of activities with very friendly staff. The rooms were of decent size and they are always updating so they were in good shape.

November 26, 2013

By Ramonita

The director at Emeritus called me and she said that she was following with a phone call I made for my father. When I called them back, she never got back to me. Apparently, they screwed up because it's not my father, it's my husband. When you make that kind of a mistake, I want to make sure that my husband's given the right medications. The first person that greets you is what represents your company and when I see somebody in jeans that's representing your company, that person should be a little bit more with etiquette, that turns me off right away. When I came in, there was nobody at the reception area and I had an appointment already set up. They told me to wait and then this other lady came in and I waited with her. She had jeans and like a t-shirt. It's like presentation at the supermarket. The room was not neat at all and people could get hurt in that office. When you're dealing with people with dementia, you have to be extremely careful in the way you leave things and how you leave them. Emeritus is more expensive per room but the services that they stage are cheaper.

October 29, 2013

By sunnyd333

The outdoor facilities are not kept up and accessible to the residents at will. There do not seem to be enough employees to assist the memory care unit at all times. You must stay on top of all of the care in any facility involved in memory care as the residents do not always know how to communicate their needs other than acting out.

September 29, 2013

My wife is in ALF at Emeritus at Ocala West. We're very much satisfied with this place. She moved there last December 2012. Aside from assisted living, they also have memory care facility. I noticed that some memory patients always have somebody with them.

August 28, 2013

By Loving Husband2

My wife is in an assisted living facility at Emeritus. I chose this facility because it met all my needs and they were very helpful in getting my wife in there. They have a very nice garden outside. The rooms that they have are good. Their staff is friendly and very helpful. I have lunch everyday with my wife and the food is good. Their dining room is equally good as well. Everything is just fine and I'm very happy with this place. I would recommend Emeritus to others.

August 08, 2013

By Aileen23

Emeritus is very clean and everyone is very friendly. The rooms were very nice, well done, clean and has no smell and odor. Most were spacious and of fairly good size. The staff was very nice and they enjoyed what they did.

May 14, 2013

By Irvin1

Emeritus was clean , nice and also expensive. The staff who showed me around was courteous and pleasant. She walked me around the different rooms like the recreation room where they played cards and bingo. I was able to see one of the apartments and it was immaculately clean. The only thing I did not like was the customer service when I called. When I called the first time, I did not know who I talked to and so I could not get an appointment. They called back after a day and I was only visiting Florida, so my time would be wasted if I was not able to get in.

November 16, 2012

By LeslieD1

My grandparents enjoyed staying at Emeritus at Ocala West. My grandfather died but my grandmother still lives in that facility. It's nice, I have no complaints about it and it's just perfect.

February 29, 2012

I started my search looking for care for my Mother. Our sales rep, T. was very impressive. I felt like the facility was clean. The rooms are nice. The people seemed happy. I visited a few other facilities in the area. But, this facility went further than the others. They gave us furniture. That was nice. It was nice to not have to buy us furniture. It's been 1 1/2 months and I'd still give them 8 or 9 stars if I could for the level of service I got from, Trish. But, I was referred to a company to get help with financing through my Mom's VA benefits. This guy lied about the facts surrounding the liquidity of our annuities say they want asset for asset. This was not true. He tried to make us invest in their mutual funds. He said we could invest in their mutual funds or find someone else to help us.

Services & Amenities of Brookdale Canopy Oaks

• Fee Structure Extra: We Offer A Month To Month Rental

• Home Sale Assistance

• Staff Patient Ratio: 20:1 Al; 10:1 Memory Care

• Licenses: ALF License # 9441

About Brookdale Canopy Oaks

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #9441

We have a beautiful property with many trees. An interior courtyard for relaxing and barbecues. We offer private and companion living options.

Map of Brookdale Canopy Oaks